Missouri 79, Illinois 63 POSTGAME

That is true, though I like to root for a winner on occasion.

Assume Underwood gets canned in a couple of years, though. Who takes this job? You have no returning talent, no recent success to build on, facilities that are mediocre at best, relationships with the media and HS/AAU coaches that are completely salted Earth at this point, and the weight of three failed coaches and a decade of no tournament appearances on your shoulders. And you’ll be given about two or three months to turn it all around before the noose begins to tighten again.

This has somehow become one of the worst high-major gigs around, and it truly bums me out.
Ayo will be a star. He had a bad night. That’s to be expected.
But why don’t samba and griffin get that same lattitude?

Not in these systems he won’t.

He’s floundering out there. He basically wants to be in trents role, where the offense goes through him and he’s the late clock make a play guy. He doesn’t look

Postgame Brad, Trent, Aaron:

What is really sad is that 40 games in I am truly uninterested in the same coach speak after every game. Why can't we just win? This program is a joke right now and has been for quite awhile.

Trent is exactly what we need. You can literally see how much his game differs in style than many others. He looks like a player on any other high level team that we see...where normally I watch and say why can't we get a player with that flair/ability. We have one, but just one?

Giorgi will turn out to be awesome when 4 years is done.
Jones, well who knows? Can we redshirt him now?
Griffin will be the Bardo type with a much better shot.
Kane will be a rim running asset for us by year 3.
Ayodon't know really anymore, the kid is not a uber athletic/talented 5*, sorry he isn't?

Unfortunately, outside of this? where is our future, where are our wins, when does the insanity stop?

Clearly the fouls were down in this game for us. That is a good sign, however the opponent's shooting % was not.
Playing the typical Power 5 team, we get underestimated, perhaps rightly so, and the pressure D works for a while.
By the 2nd half, they figure it out, we get tired, whatever. Power 5 team goes on a run and we can't keep up.
Could be that our best game against a Power 5 was our first. Not looking good.

What is our O/U for B10 wins? I am guessing it is maybe 4.5. Can someone check. Too cheap to get a KenPom subscription when we are pretty much irrelevant. I heard that the B10 is really good, and we aren't. Do we get 10 wins? Do we get more recruits for next year? Is the basketball season resigned to football status, tape the game, ask the wife if we got within 10 points, and then decide whether to watch or not. Sad, just sad.

GO ILLINI!

Mustered enough interest to hold the shift key for the GO!
I was wondering why we dont change our pace a little more...switch to zone to save some gas. 0 for 6 on FTs down the stretch is a sign that we are gassed I think. we have to figure a way to save a little gas.

Conditioning was never a problem for this team.:)

Screen Shot 2018-12-23 at 9.38.13 AM.png

Deleted member 380722

D
Griffin's mother has taken to twitter to express her frustration...

Griffin's mother has taken to twitter to express her frustration...
I don't blame her. It's one thing if there were players that merited playing before him, but though TU may understand the Defense/Offense, he adds almost nothing. I appreciate his efforts and likely is part of prepping our guys in practice, but players like Griffin can actually impact the game as he's shown already in his limited time. HUGE mistake by BU to make him an afterthought and to say that out loud in the post game press conf. It's a program killing move.

I'm sure TU is a fine young man and is an all around positive influence for Illini BB. However, I'm going to lose my mind if I see him on the floor over scholarship players when the game hangs in the balance. To be fair, I'll make a few exceptions, they are: 1) The Illini are up by 20 with 30 seconds left in the game; 2) The Illini are in serious foul trouble early in a game; or 3)The Illini are decimated by injuries which leaves no other viable option. I'm sure BU is very proud of his son but lets face it, if he wasn't the coach, TU would not be an Illini walk on. It's time to get serious and get the scholarship guys in the game and start improving for next year. As for Griffin, I'd be willing to entertain a bet that he leaves the team after this season unless he starts seeing some court time. This isn't to say the players should call the shots for the team but give him some time and if he doesn't respond then there is a reason to sit him.

This is not good for UI, Alan, or BU https://twitter.com/audreyrgriffin?lang=en

Can only imagine BU's phone was lit up last night & this morning.

Someone earlier mentioned BU appeared shaken. To me he seems in over his head without a clue what to do next as nothing he brings is working at this level.

I was a fan of the hire as it appeared he would bring toughness to the team. That has completely backfired. I think Trent, AJ etc. would have similar games regardless the coach.

Also remember a coaching interview with several college bb coaches describing BU's defense as gimmcky. Though do not have a source to reference.
But it explains how other coaches can easily break down our teams every time.

There are what, 7 teams this year in the B1G that are ranked in the top 25. The year is only going to get worse & that hurts a coaching staff that is already unable to recruit top talent. Not bashing our current players. but the misses have been covered extensively on this site & others.

Deleted member 380722

D
Griffin's mom retweeted me... and I didn't tweet at her, which means she searched under Underwood on twitter.

Deleted member 346957

D
Underwood has maybe next year left. He has been horrible in recruiting, in game coaching and keeping players. Would not be surprised if we saw Griffin and Jones transfer next year.

Not ideal.

Nepotism is never a good look.

Coaches are stubborn. They often value experience over talent. They value not making mistakes (underwood’s own words) over actually making plays.

I find that ludicrous. Play your talent. They need game time to develop.

It’s the same reason he continues to trot DLR (who is probably a great guy and teammate) out there over Kane. Kane brings stuff that DLR can never bring. He adds an actual rim protector presence. I’ll take him setting a screen on air and other inexperienced stuff over DLR not being able to get off the floor for a rebound or airballing three foot shots. Truly insanity.

Didn't watch the game live as we had a holiday gathering but kept checking in. Noted a hot start, then some back and....fast forwarded to nearly live when we were up with 7 or 8 minutes. Got called away so I paused again for about ten minutes and fast forwarded again to find us down 10 in like a minute....trying to determine if I should watch the whole game....it just delete it.

Long time reader - First time poster - Illini fan for 45 years.

The Tyler Underwood situation has to cause a problems in the locker room. At best a coaches son (average player) can only get mop up minutes and the locker room stay together. We've all played, coached, watched youth league teams where this causes huge problems. Now imagine this emotion in power D1 class athletes. I can't imagine that others in the program can't see and feel this.

I am sure Tyler is a great kid and good ball player. But if he continues to get prime time minutes, the team will never gel.