Bears / NFL Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that situation if you get stuffed on 3rd and 1, you run Howard again on 4th and 1. You don't give Rodgers the ball with less than a touchdown lead and under 3 to go.

This times 1,000! They had two plays to run for 1 yard and essentially end the game. Instead, the chose an inexplicable pass play followed by a meaningless field goal (if you didn't know the Packers would march down and score the winning TD after that you are lying to yourself).

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I can't remember a game this sickening for a long time. Recently they haven't been a good enough team to get up big and then blow a lead.

99065A01-66E1-40C3-B2E6-901E5BB7A73E.gif

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Wow Nagy sounds like a moron in the post game presser. Our guys didn't get many reps in the preseason? That was his call. We were running the ball well but the flow of the game changed? After packers kicked field goal to make it 20-3 the bears went three and out on three passes. Next drive after its 20-10 they run Howard twice for nine yards then the ridiculous behind the line of scrimmage pass to Simms. Duh.

Wow Nagy sounds like a moron in the post game presser. Our guys didn't get many reps in the preseason? That was his call. We were running the ball well but the flow of the game changed? After packers kicked field goal to make it 20-3 the bears went three and out on three passes. Next drive after its 20-10 they run Howard twice for nine yards then the ridiculous behind the line of scrimmage pass to Simms. Duh.

Yeah, play calling was very weak in the 2nd half. Like, 2017-18 Kansas City Chiefs playoffs loss weak.

Twice is is only a coincidence, so there's still hope.

jmwillini

Tolono, IL
Just curious if anyone knows the last time the Illini had multiple players score touchdowns in the same week? Way to go Clayton and Geronimo. Also, way to go Hardy Jr. On the fumble and return.

This times 1,000! They had two plays to run for 1 yard and essentially end the game. Instead, the chose an inexplicable pass play followed by a meaningless field goal (if you didn't know the Packers would march down and score the winning TD after that you are lying to yourself).

Meaningless field goal lol. Every coach in the history of coaching kicks a field goal in that situation.

Hindsight is 20/20. I watched a lot of chiefs games and Nagy made a lot of similar calls. Maybe he will adjust now that he doesn’t have Kelce. Or maybe the team will execute better.

Either way, if you can’t see the potential this team has then that’s too bad. First year coach, 2nd year QB, going against a hall of famer who has been with his coach for what feels like 50 years. Also at Lambeau. They will take their lumps but they have the potential to be special for years and years. Like I said, can’t wait to see how they look next week.

Geronimo Allison's 39 yard catch for the Packers against the Bears was nothing short of spectacular. The defensive back was holding one of his arms and Geronimo still hauled it in virtually one handed. Good to see him finding a place in Green Bay.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Geronimo Allison's 39 yard catch for the Packers against the Bears was nothing short of spectacular. The defensive back was holding one of his arms and Geronimo still hauled it in virtually one handed. Good to see him finding a place in Green Bay.

Did you miss the part where Allison pushed off inside the 10 to get separation? Easy offensive pass interference that wasn't called.

Did you miss the part where Allison pushed off inside the 10 to get separation? Easy offensive pass interference that wasn't called.

I swear they called like 10 of those on Alshon his first couple years

Meaningless field goal lol. Every coach in the history of coaching kicks a field goal in that situation.
citation needed. It was a bad call that was the cherry on top of numerous bad calls in the second half. All that was on top of our highly touted defense getting ZERO stops against a hobbled Rodgers in the second half. That Packers team looks like it will struggle to compete against Minnesota. They spotted the bears 20, and then made them look like children. Same old song and dance my friend.

I can't remember a game this sickening for a long time. Recently they haven't been a good enough team to get up big and then blow a lead.

Yep ... I haven't been getting TOO emotionally involved in the Bears the past few years, but I was truly pumped for this season/game. After we looked to be in such a good situation at halftime, I felt even more excited.

That one hurt.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
I had a flashback to the Harbaugh audible pick 6 against Minny many moons ago. Bears up 20-0 in the 4th, lose 21-20.

There's really only one play that matter this entire game and that was the pass call on third and short with just under 3 mins. Coaches will always always always try to be the guy that out smarts statistics/history and while success may be closer to 50% than 0%, doing that kind of crap gets coaches fired. I'm also a falcons fan, and Steve Sarkisian has single handedly turned what Kyle Shanahan made into a top 10 offense of all time, into a pedestrian, predictable and seemingly random conjugation of plays. Obviously not calling for Nagy's head anytime remotely soon, but if the reason this team doesn't succeed is due to offensive woes, he needs to take a long hard look at what he's doing, the defensive talent is ridiculously obvious.

Whitehair also needs to snap the ball about 1000 times this week in practice. At least half his snaps were either high or low. Even the best QB's are going to start getting flustered after the first few, anticipating it. All this aside, the Bears still have a very high chance of finishing highly in the North. Don't think they are winning the division, but a wild card is not out of the question.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Went to bed last night at the half, up infinity to nothing. But, typically, woke up this morning to see that we lost infinity+1 to infinity. Very Bears-like. New coaching staff, same old results.

Put me in the "coaching screwed us" camp. I'm irrationally angry about this.

Nagy had a chance to set the tone not just for this season but for his entire tenure as Bear's HC. He had 3 and 1, Howard had 33 yards on his last two carries. Two chances to gain a yard and most likely seal the game. Get an upset win in Lambeau in your first game. Instead he passes, settles for a FG and gives Aaron Rodgers the ball down 6. Yes, there were other issues - Fuller dropping the INT, the horrible snaps, etc. I sent a group text saying if the Bears kicked a FG here, I was going to be mad at the new staff.

If you voluntarily give Rodgers the ball with under 3 minutes left in a one score game, you shouldn't be allowed to use scissors unattended.

3rd and 1 with 2 minutes and change left in the game. So two chances to get one yard. If you get the one yard the game is over. Based on the way the game was going I think the Bears had to take that chance. I just don't think you can give Rodgers the ball back there down less than a touchdown (either up 3 or 6). And there are definitely NFL coaches that would go for it in that situation (Belichick as a prime example). Maybe too much to ask of a rookie coach to deviate from the card in his hand in that moment but part of being a great coach is understanding the game situation and the weapons on the other side of the field. I am hopeful that Nagy can/will improve in the area with experience.

In that situation if you get stuffed on 3rd and 1, you run Howard again on 4th and 1. You don't give Rodgers the ball with less than a touchdown lead and under 3 to go.

This exactly. Thank you.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
My take on the Bears debacle:

1) Matt Nagy clearly planned the first 25-30 plays very well, but when he needed to come up with smart play calls on the spot in the second half, he blew it. He called far too many short passes and tried to get creative on short yardage plays instead of feeding Howard.

2) Fuller had the crappy dropped INT, but Amukamara got pantsed repeatedly. And overall, our secondary seemed to go for the spectacular PBU attempt instead of insuring a tackle once the pass was completed. Against Rodgers, you have to concede a few completions and make tackles. Bend, don't break. We broke.

3) Trubisky had good moments, and other moments where he looked like a kid that wanted to rely on his athleticism like he did in high school. A lot of times, he didn't even look downfield, he just lasered in on the checkdown option as soon as the ball was snapped. He needs to stand in there and look downfield. Know the check-down is there if you need it. And if you're going to leave the pocket, keep your head up and eyes downfield. A pass downfield is almost always better than a scramble.

I hadn't seen much of Khalil Mack before. Holy crap. That is a size/strength/speed combo you don't see every day.

And yet, nothing matters in the NFL if you don't have the QB play. One of the many reasons I prefer college.

That was a "you picked the wrong guy" performance by Trubisky. NFL QB's who don't throw strikes aren't NFL QB's for very long, even if they're gutsy and great athletes and leaders and whatever else. See Mark Sanchez.

Hindsight is 20/20.
I thought every Bears' fan knew, KNEW(!), that Rogers was going to lead them to a touchdown with three minutes to go the way the Packers were playing inspired ball and the Bears were playing not to lose. You've proved me wrong.

The first half reminded me of the 1985 Bears, when the defense was as much, if not more, fun to watch than the offense. I'm still excited to see how this team does, but the second half was a cold bucket of reality.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
That was a "you picked the wrong guy" performance by Trubisky. NFL QB's who don't throw strikes aren't NFL QB's for very long, even if they're gutsy and great athletes and leaders and whatever else. See Mark Sanchez.

This was his fist game in a brand new offense against a playoff caliber team. Step away from the ledge...

illini80

Forgottonia
This was his fist game in a brand new offense against a playoff caliber team. Step away from the ledge...
I done jumped. As someone else said, I'm irrationally angry about that game. I could see it coming in the first half when they started trying to get cute instead of racking up points when they had the packers on the ropes. I knew when Rogers returned what would happen. Then only thing I didn't expect was for the bears to get the ball back with not one, but two chances thanks to the penalty.

There is too much talent on this team to collapse like that against a beatable team when they gave you a big lead. I've seen enough playing not to lose for the season. Not sure I'll watch another game. Yep that's way over the top, but it's where I'm at.

Status
Not open for further replies.