Pregame: #9 Illinois vs #8 Michigan, Thursday, March 9th, 11:00am CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take the mulch, pour it around, and begin. Every time I have posted that we have won.

I hate to be "that guy" but do we actually have a chance here? I realize neither of these facts REALLY means anything, but they imply a chance....

1) KenPom has us at 68 this morning (how many teams get in? :) )
2) Lunardi has us as the first 4 out.

I little stumble by those ahead of us and 2 wins in the BTT....

Just shoot me now. I'm tired of hoping.

It's not unreasonable to think that we still have a way into the tournament, because we do. What is unreasonable is to think that a Groce-led team is going to be able to accomplish that.

I would imagine that Walton is still not over Mav's 'white collar' comment. I expect him to come out and play like he is possessed and Michigan wins by 15.

Well I bought tickets for all sessions on Thursday in hopes that we may make the #7 seed and play Thursday night. Now that we are locked in at noon I was able to sell my four tickets on Thursday night....to an Iowa fan....and I hope they lose. :)

It's not unreasonable to think that we still have a way into the tournament, because we do. What is unreasonable is to think that a Groce-led team is going to be able to accomplish that.

word

My guess is we will see a continuation of the 2nd half of the Rutgers game and a general lack of interest/effort. Probably similar results to the Michigan BTT game 3 years ago.

The guys need to put in whatever makes them hype and let it ride tomorrow. I need J Cole to shoot at least 7 three's, LB 7 corner jumpers, MH do you, TA Let it fly at least 5 times, TJL do you and dont slow the pace one minute and KIP SET TO GET TWO BLOCKS AND ONE THUNEROUS DUNK.....Oh and most importantly....SOME DAM THREE POINT DEFENSE..ON TO FRIDAY....

Dan

Admin

Groce previews Michigan

Groce: We're excited. We leave today. Have had meetings with the guys individually & as a group.

Groce: We have a great challenge in Michigan. Both teams are a lot different than when we played the last two times.

Groce: Our guys have been good the last few days.

Groce: Would have liked to play better on Saturday, but feel like we're playing our best in a lot of areas the last month.

Groce: Neat to have our guys in position to be playing for something.

Groce: Michigan is playing well at both ends of the floor. Really gotten better defensively. No. 1 offense in the league.

Groce: Our ball movement got a little bit stagnant late in the game on Saturday. We've talked about that a little bit.

Groce: Our guys have really given a lot to get to where we're at.

Groce: We're better in a lot of areas. We're just better at what we do. Our focus has been better. Our mindset has changed.

https://twitter.com/DPiperScout

illini80

Forgottonia
Hard to say who will want this game more, mostly because it's hard to understand where this teams head is at. Maybe it's obvious, but I think that's all it comes down to. Who wants it more. We can match up with them well enough.

I don't know whether Goce's Pollyanna demeanor make me hopeful or mad. Where is the sense of urgency? It is almost as if there is always a tomorrow with something to play for. Reality check..... tomorrow ends real quick if they don't win.

BlindLoyalty

FartNoiseMotivation
Over the past month Michigan crushed MSU by 29 (w/ Harris), whipped IU by 12 in Bloomington, IN (WI & Purdue only other teams to win @ IU) and beat the #1 & #2 teams in the B10 in Ann Arbor (WI by 6 & PU by 12).

Michigan's only losses in the last month came in OT @ Minnesota vs. a smokin' hot Pitino squad and on a hail mary pass/shot @ a desperate NU in an historic NU program moment (w/ Lindsey back).

Michigan is a different team than when we played them and they are playing their best basketball of the year.
We are coming off our worst loss/performance of the year. Coach/Players/Fanbase were crushed by the season/career changing loss @ Rutgers.

I think Michigan will hit their shots and will beat us easily by double digits.

***Michigan has proven they can beat the best the B10 has to offer this year. Their path isn't particularly daunting to the final and it wouldn't shock me if they play for the BTTT.

Last edited:

zpfled

Logan Square, Chicago
I don't know whether Goce's Pollyanna demeanor make me hopeful or mad. Where is the sense of urgency? It is almost as if there is always a tomorrow with something to play for. Reality check..... tomorrow ends real quick if they don't win.

Lol, you think he doesn't know that? What would indicate a 'sense of urgency' to satisfy you?

Over the past month Michigan crushed MSU by 29 (w/ Harris), whipped IU by 12 in Bloomington, IN (WI & Purdue only other teams to win @ IU) and beat the #1 & #2 teams in the B10 in Ann Arbor (WI by 6 & PU by 12).

Michigan's only losses in the last month came in OT @ Minnesota vs. a smokin' hot Pitino squad and on a hail mary pass/shot @ a desperate NU in an historic NU program moment (w/ Lindsey back).

Michigan is a different team than when we played them and they are playing their best basketball of the year.
We are coming off our worst loss/performance of the year. Coach/Players/Fanbase were crushed by the season/career changing loss @ Rutgers.

***Michigan has proven they can beat the best the B10 has to offer this year. Their path isn't particularly daunting to the final and it wouldn't shock me if they play for the BTTT.

They have the #1 offense in Big Ten play by a large margin, using vintage Beilein stuff - 3 pointers, layups and taking care of the ball. Defense is not good but they really don't have to be. Our best chance is probably hoping they have an off day shooting the 3 and we have a good day there.

socalini

So Cali
Lol, you think he doesn't know that? What would indicate a 'sense of urgency' to satisfy you?

Me personally - Not saying things like it's "Neat to have our guys in position to be playing for something."

You hear that, guys? HC John Groce thinks that we're in a "neat" position.

:tsk:

I fully expect a flogging from a hot Michigan team. These early start times really hurt on the west coast because it is too early to drown sorrows in beer.

My guess is we will see a continuation of the 2nd half of the Rutgers game and a general lack of interest/effort. Probably similar results to the Michigan BTT game 3 years ago.

Or worse, the Michigan BTT game 2 years ago.

Funny how you mention our bad loss but forget that we won 5 of 6 before that. Michigan is playing well right now but so is Illinois. Rutgers was an outlier IMO and I expect a good tight game.

Status
Not open for further replies.