Pregame: Illinois vs Michigan State, Wednesday, March 1st, 8:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

whovous

Washington, DC
Will this be Tracy's third senior night? Hopefully he has a real senior moment this time.

Decourcy said on pregame, if Illinois wins final 3, they are in. Mentioned weak bubble, and also the number of wins vs top 100.

What he actually said was "they are in the conversation". His voice trailed off at the end so it was easy to miss it....

CAHALL15

Central Illinois
The young guys for Sparty are clicking right now. Bridges has been consistent all year and will likely be a late lottery pick. I could see us winning a close one or the Spartans blowing us out of the basketball waters.

One large problem called "Izzo". Chance for JG to prove it hasn't been luck.

whovous

Washington, DC
Izzo is one coach Groce has been able to beat.

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
nw

I could see us winning a close one or the Spartans blowing us out of the basketball waters.

I think the same thing. Either we gut this one out--and can we win another one on three-pointers?--or the Spartans have our number and take us apart like cheap furniture.

Just so you know, there will be a Malcolm Hill toothbrush holder giveaway at the game. Get in line early. There will be only 2,000 available. Be like Malcolm. Brush your teeth five or six times per day. Malcolm will hold your brush for you while you're resting up between brushings. http://www.fightingillini.com/news/2017/2/22/mens-basketball-promotions-for-march-1-game-vs-michigan-state.aspx

I'll bet there will be a lot of empty seats at Saturday's game, although this is one the Scarlet Knights consider winnable. And ify any odd perhaps happens against Maryland by Rutgers, there won't be many to be had. Not many on sale via StubHub and such, though I don't know what the RU ticket office has available. I have mine via the NYC Illini club. Illini in the Northeast should be there to help the Illini finish out the 2017 regular season.

Interesting matchup for this game. MSU lost their bigs early in the season, and only has 1 real frontcourt player (Ward). They play that 1 in, 4 out style that Michigan seems to favor, and that we have at times struggled with.

I'd love to see us use our size to bully them early and set the tone. Try to get Ward in foul trouble and contest every shot at the rim. Should be a close to a 50/50 ball game. I think seniors will prevail.

whovous

Washington, DC
Just so you know, there will be a Malcolm Hill toothbrush holder giveaway at the game. Get in line early. There will be only 2,000 available. Be like Malcolm. Brush your teeth five or six times per day. Malcolm will hold your brush for you while you're resting up between brushings. http://www.fightingillini.com/news/2017/2/22/mens-basketball-promotions-for-march-1-game-vs-michigan-state.aspx

Is there any chance of getting Malcolm to brush his teeth while standing on the ladder?

My fear is that we'll beat MSU, only to lose to Rutgers and then get blown out in the first game in the BTT. Perhaps I'm being overly pessimistic, perhaps I've seen this movie before and I know how it ends.

Either way, kudos to the team for getting it together and going on this run. Beat MSU, we'll worry about the tournament when we've taken care of all our other business.

:shield:

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
My fear is that we'll beat MSU, only to lose to Rutgers...
We will not lose to Rutgers. Gonna be there. Not gonna lose to Rutgers. Or better yet, put that in positive words: #wewillwin

whovous

Washington, DC
Beating MSU and losing to Rutgers really is the nightmare scenario.

Beating MSU and losing to Rutgers really is the nightmare scenario.

Ha, I said this the other day ... I figure we would beat Nebraska and Michigan State -- start getting tons of hype -- and then completely lay an egg at Rutgers. :eek:

How do we stop Bridges without getting in to serious foul trouble? That's my single biggest concern here. Do we go back to that 2-3 zone and hope he can't penetrate and that they don't heat up beyond the arc?

I think TJL has a decent shot of at least holding Tum Tum in check. Freshman on Senior might not be ideal, but TJL has shown some GREAT defense recently.

How do we stop Bridges without getting in to serious foul trouble? That's my single biggest concern here. Do we go back to that 2-3 zone and hope he can't penetrate and that they don't heat up beyond the arc?

I think TJL has a decent shot of at least holding Tum Tum in check. Freshman on Senior might not be ideal, but TJL has shown some GREAT defense recently.

Friendly reminder that Bridges is shooting 40% from 3pt on 2 attempts a game (comparable to Finke)

We'll have to worry less about Tum Tum and more about Cassius Winston, the latter of which has been playing really good ball of late. CW is also a freshman.

CW last 5 games: 7.8 ppg, 6.8 apg, 2 to/g in 22.4 mpg
TJL last 5 games: 10 ppg, 4.2 apg, 2 to/g in 31 mpg

Illinois vs Michigan State, Wednesday, March 1st, 8:00pm CT, BTN

No excuse for the local fans for this one, every game here on out is make or break us getting back into the NCAA tournament. Need to bring the noise.

Quick question also - would this be a top 50 win for us? Now that MSU beat Wisky in solid fashion I didn't know if they would crack that or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No excuse for the local fans for this one, every game here on out is make or break us getting back into the NCAA tournament. Need to bring the noise.

Quick question also - would this be a top 50 win for us? Now that MSU beat Wisky in solid fashion I didn't know if they would crack that or not.

It would be. MSU is currently 42.

Cheapest tickets this morning on Stubhub were $7. You hope that the more casual fans/students haven't tuned out after our rough B1G start...

Senior night starting lineup of Tate, Abrams, Hill, Mav, Thorne? Here's hoping there's a quick foul to sub a couple guys out...

Status
Not open for further replies.