Pregame: Illinois vs Purdue, Saturday, October 13th, 2:30pm CT, FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid Purdue beats us because we just can't put consistent pressure on their QB. With that said, anything can happen. I think the odds favor the Boilermakers. With a better pass rush, we'd go bowling this year. I think it's our achilles. On the bright side, we used to have so many problems I couldn't identify our achilles. Let's not forget how much progress these kids have made in the last 1.5 seasons. Even when they've been down they play hard. The PSU 4th quarter was just a young team with not enough depth running out of gas. We're just a few pieces short of where we want to be. The staff is improved. The games are more fun to watch. The kids are getting better. What's not to like? Can't wait for homecoming. See you all there!

Going to have to score 35 or more i think to win game. Purdue, is good offensive team. Really good passing game. QB can allude and move. Not a speedster but effective.

If Purdue is more of a passing team than a running team I like that even better. We’ve proven that we can pick off passes. We’ve also proven we can’t stop the run at all.

While I get Purdue being favored, -8 would be outrageous. They freaking lost to EMU. Give me those Illini points all day.

I’ll help you guys out.. EMU has a four star Iowa transfer at QB and Purdue had a choice, at many positions .. start freshmen who hadn’t played or hazell recruit seniors like cornerback Tim Cason and walk-on Antonio Blackmon.

That game they chose to still go with the seniors. The team was breaking in five of seven new starters on the front seven. Lots of confusion and the team for those first three games played about as disciplined as Nebraska (who you will Be slight dogs to and beat). The EMU game showed us that Tom Cason is a sorry corner. And therefore he backs up Kenny Major now.

If you want to believe that you’re playing the team that played EMU feel free, but you’re gonna be pretty disappointed on Saturday. David Blough was inexplicably hesitant those first three games and looks like a good Kyle Orton now. Wright and Zico have emerged as serviceable on the outside at receiver, Brycen Hopkins has joined Rondale Moore as a dangerous threat, Derrick Barnes is playing DE on third down and thus we are getting a pass rush, Cornel Jones has established himself at linebacker alongside bailey. The Barnes/Larry combo is the weakest LB spot.

To beat Purdue you need to do one thing. You have to have a QB who is a PRIMARY pass threat such that your defense can space Purdue out and you can win like Missouri (who would own you) did... in a 40-37 shootout.

This isn’t a monster Purdue team like next season, when we lose very few starters and have a better recruiting class coming in than we’ve had in over a decade. It’s a so so team with great coaching and a few playmakers... but it will win on Saturday and fall between 5-7 and 7-5 by seasons end

Illinois 27 purdue 24. Late 50 yard field goal gets us to 4-2.

If Purdue is more of a passing team than a running team I like that even better. We’ve proven that we can pick off passes. We’ve also proven we can’t stop the run at all.

Agree with this. At this point, we have not proven we can stop a strong running game. While we haven’t shown much of an ability to pressure QB, we have ‘held on’ in pass D via turnovers.

Both Nebraska and Mizzou put up good rushing numbers on Purdue. I think we’ll be able to score. We’ll need AJ to progress the passing game a bit forward and then win turnover + penalty battle to outscore them. As we have most games, our special teams needs to outshine theirs. I predict a close game but we actually finish this time 36-34

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Roundtree and company are going to have to go into beast mode. Need to put pressure on their QB. It's that simple.

Deleted member 29907

D
Depends. Do you have a QB who can just throw it all over the yard like Thorson, weigers and lock? If so, Purdue can struggle greatly defensively.

If not Purdue has a GOOD defense. Your QB is not even the passer Adrian Martinez is. He’s more like BCs Anthony Brown than anyone we’ve faced.

Purdue 34
Illinois 27

And next years purdue team will be better than any since 93. So I’m fine with a 7 point win that isn’t as close as the final score on the road.
Actually, we do have a QB whose stats are better than Martinez in passing - so if you're saying that is the key to beating you I'll pass your suggestions on to the coaches if you think MJ Rivers should start over AJ.

Brown? Brown has what, 15 yards of running? What's your point - to compare 1 aspect of a QB vs another as opposed to the complete game? Really? Brown also has 4 INTs.

AJ Bush seems to underthrow every ball and also throws every ball late. I hope that is something they can improve upon in 1 week to at least make it serviceable.

Deleted member 29907

D
Purdue bye week, check.
Purdue underestimates opponent based on their win against "lowly Rutgers", check
Purdue playing OSU the following week, check
Trap Game potential? (queue the Admiral Ackbar gif - priceless)

Purdue board seems awfully confident for a team that lost to Eastern Michigan.

Over confidence should work to our advantage. Our guys come ready to play and it is our Homecoming. I think that means something to this group.

FT35

Naperville
Purdue board seems awfully confident for a team that lost to Eastern Michigan.

That game was played in the rain which limited what they could do in terms of passing the ball. If the weather is awful on Saturday, we have a definite advantage. Otherwise, it's clear that our team is going to have problems stopping Blough.

Don't look now but we actually have an identity this year.
Top 10 in the Country in Turnover Margin and #18 in rushing offense.
Lovie Ball

Now recruit a Devin Hester type KR/PR and we can make it to the NCAA championship.

*edit* apparently, this was just going into this week's game. I will update Monday.

Last edited:

Soxfreak64

Bloomington
Can't see a win here. Helps that Blough isn't much of a threat on the ground, and I'm pretty excited about the re-org in the secondary...those are really smart moves in my book. But the pass rush still won't be there, we'll be in a Nickel package most of the time, and DJ Knox is pretty good—they'll stack up yards on the ground.

I think Illinois moves the ball plenty but struggles to finish with TDs and turns Purdue over twice in a loss: 38-28. Rondale Moore is good for at least one TD, Quan finds another pick.

Illinois wins two more this season, but Purdue isn't one of them. Offense is too high-powered.

Guys, this PU guy has more than enough delusional optimism without our own fans helping him out.

He is delusional in all but the final score prediction. Would be ecstatic with an Illini win but I am predicting a 38-27 loss. Our homecoming crowds are always good, combined with a winnable, meaningful game I really hope the fans show up.

Not exactly a groundbreaking analysis here but it comes down to turnovers. We can run the ball on them. We will score 20+. If we can win the turnover margin by 2 we we be right there in the end. We win it by 3 we win the football game.

Actually, we do have a QB whose stats are better than Martinez in passing - so if you're saying that is the key to beating you I'll pass your suggestions on to the coaches if you think MJ Rivers should start over AJ.

Brown? Brown has what, 15 yards of running? What's your point - to compare 1 aspect of a QB vs another as opposed to the complete game? Really? Brown also has 4 INTs.

Merely better than Martinez is not good enough. For the Purdue D to struggle, before you even use your backs (cause they will always stop the run first - was true under tiller and still true now), your QB has to demonstrate he can cause problems with his arm. And not Adrian Martinez “let me cause problems once we are down 28-7” level problems. At least like weigers.

Brown may be low on rushing yards, but I was merely saying your QBs have only demonstrated they can throw it as a primary threat better than him. If you wanna say Martinez fine. Nebraska didn’t throw it nearly well enough to win until they were perma down multiple scores.

I’m not saying your offense can’t be a threat. The burst on your backs is nice. But the Purdue offense leads the big ten in ever over x-yards big play there is and is third in yards. I think your offense does some things, but you end up down 14 and get to down seven as the game ends.

Good news. You’re going to pistol whip Nebraska

Guys, this PU guy has more than enough delusional optimism without our own fans helping him out.

Delusional how. You have a program that is stabilizing after being worse than us last year, good team speed, backs with good burst. I think you’re better than Indiana and Nebraska easily. I just think our offense will outpace yours. Have you watched us play since EMU. We didn’t just beat BC. We beat them the way tiller used to beat you guys. We were a blown replay call from winning a shootout against a Missouri team that stayed close with #2 Georgia.

You guys don’t suck, you just won’t keep up with the pace of the Purdue offense.

Here, go to 3:05 -

Rondale Moore and Bryce Hopkins are dangerous and demand constant attention. And with that attention, blough, who is playing better than any QB we’ve had since Brees other than Orton in 5 games in 04, gets a lot out of the rest of the players. Blough is on pace to pass up Kyle Orton in career yards despite Sharing QB duties in multiple seasons.

Where is purdue weak? Corner... Mackey and Major, the two freshmen, are more talented than Cason and Blackmon, but.. freshmen. The pass rush with the Pure DEs is not good. And our DEs lose contain a lot. The safeties are not great against the run.. but Thieneman is far better than mosley. Offensively Zico and wright leave a lot of plays on the field and sparks is way overrated by Purdue fans. If Zico and wright start dropping 3rd down conversion catches and touchdowns that’s where Illinois could get the lead and force Purdue into a different game. Isaac Zico can look like a world beater on one drive and then on the next have the ball go right off his chest to an Illinois defender.

Also, if you guys can get a REALLY good pass rush you could throw the timing off a lot.

Delusional how. You have a program that is stabilizing after being worse than us last year, good team speed, backs with good burst. I think you’re better than Indiana and Nebraska easily. I just think our offense will outpace yours. Have you watched us play since EMU. We didn’t just beat BC. We beat them the way tiller used to beat you guys. We were a blown replay call from winning a shootout against a Missouri team that stayed close with #2 Georgia.

You guys don’t suck, you just won’t keep up with the pace of the Purdue offense.

Here, go to 3:05 -

Rondale Moore and Bryce Hopkins are dangerous and demand constant attention. And with that attention, blough, who is playing better than any QB we’ve had since Brees other than Orton in 5 games in 04, gets a lot out of the rest of the players. Blough is on pace to pass up Kyle Orton in career yards despite Sharing QB duties in multiple seasons.

Where is purdue weak? Corner... Mackey and Major, the two freshmen, are more talented than Cason and Blackmon, but.. freshmen. The pass rush with the Pure DEs is not good. And our DEs lose contain a lot. The safeties are not great against the run.. but Thieneman is far better than mosley. Offensively Zico and wright leave a lot of plays on the field and sparks is way overrated by Purdue fans. If Zico and wright start dropping 3rd down conversion catches and touchdowns that’s where Illinois could get the lead and force Purdue into a different game. Isaac Zico can look like a world beater on one drive and then on the next have the ball go right off his chest to an Illinois defender.

Also, if you guys can get a REALLY good pass rush you could throw the timing off a lot.

If the bolded is true I’d be concerned. Corner is a rough spot to be weak when you run as many wr screens and perimeter runs as we do.

If your DEs lose contain easily with our backs and a mobile quarterback, your defensive weaknesses literally play into our offensive strengths.

As a passing team offensively, your strengths play into our strengths (interceptions). So that should be a good battle.

Dan

Admin
Purdue -10

Over confidence should work to our advantage. Our guys come ready to play and it is our Homecoming. I think that means something to this group.
I expect our guys to be really charged up for this game. They already know that any team they beat the rest of the season, they'll have a chance to beat three straight times. And with literally the same lineup, throughout. They are going to be soooo hungry to start some head-to-head winning streaks.

On top of that a win puts them at 4-2, with a winning record in-league. I really believe our guys are going to come out with a LOT of emotion. It would be such a big win for these kids. I really hope they can pull the upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.