St Louis Cardinals 2020 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
The extra inning rule is one that has been used in the Minor Leagues for several years. The FAQ about this season on MLB.com explained it this way:

With a tight schedule and a desire to limit time on the field, the Minor League rule for extra innings will be in effect. That means every half-inning after the ninth will begin with a runner on second base. The designated runner would be the player who made the final out in the prior half-inning (or a pinch-runner for that player), and the pitcher would not be charged with an earned run if that runner scores (it would be scored as if the runner had reached on an error).

Please note that this rule is only in place for 2020 and only in effect for the regular season. Extra innings in the postseason would not begin with a runner on second.

Cardinals set to open the season with a 3 game series that starts July 24 vs. the Pirates at Busch.

Among the other key dates on the schedule:
-July 31-August 2: at Milwaukee
-August 7-9: vs. Cubs (First series of season between the two teams at Busch)
-August 13, 15-16: @ White Sox (Field of Dreams game is on Fox on August 13)
-August 17-19: @ Cubs (First series of season between the two teams at Wrigley)
-August 24-26: vs. Royals (I-70 Series at Busch)
-September 21-23: @ Royals (I-70 Series at Kaufmann Stadium)
-September 24-27: vs. Brewers (Season ending 4 game series at Busch; only time teams meet at Busch this season)

the national

the Front Range
Cardinals set to open the season with a 3 game series that starts July 24 vs. the Pirates at Busch.

Among the other key dates on the schedule:
-July 31-August 2: at Milwaukee
-August 7-9: vs. Cubs (First series of season between the two teams at Busch)
-August 13, 15-16: @ White Sox (Field of Dreams game is on Fox on August 13)
-August 17-19: @ Cubs (First series of season between the two teams at Wrigley)
-August 24-26: vs. Royals (I-70 Series at Busch)
-September 21-23: @ Royals (I-70 Series at Kaufmann Stadium)
-September 24-27: vs. Brewers (Season ending 4 game series at Busch; only time teams meet at Busch this season)
I like that the first series with the cubs is away. I’d rather plan them at home late. Could be a big series!

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
I like that the first series with the cubs is away. I’d rather plan them at home late. Could be a big series!

The first series with the Cubs (Aug 7-9) is in St. Louis. The last two series (Aug 17-19 and Sept 4-7) are at Wrigley. 7 out of the 10 games against them (the last 7) are in Chicago. Bad break in the schedule. The Cards also have a tough 18 game stretch from August 28 through September 16 against the Indians, Reds, Cubs, and Brewers.

Last edited:

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
The first series with the Cubs (Aug 7-9) is in St. Louis. The last two series (Aug 17-19 and Sept 4-7) are at Wrigley. 7 out of the 10 games against them (the last 7) are in Chicago. Bad break in the schedule. The Cards also have a tough 18 game stretch from August 28 through September 16 against the Indians, Reds, Cubs, and Brewers.
I have a sick feeling that the tough 18 game stretch doesn't get completed. But, if baseball can't make it through a season, I have no idea how football can. I am so tired of this....:mad:

the national

the Front Range
I don’t know what I was thinking with my post; please disregard Entirely 😕

I agree with your assessment. It always feels like the schedule gods put us in tough spots, especially with the cubs. I wish they could have at least made a 4game series in STL.

Cardinals' 2021 schedule has been announced: https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/sched...Okntz5qfHSMkjhE532K6y68qA&bt_ts=1594316274508

Among the highlights:
-Season opener: April 1 @ Cincinnati (Opening road trip takes the Redbirds to Cincy and Miami)
-Home opener: April 8 vs. Milwaukee
-Cardinals will have played their entire season series against Washington and Philadelphia by the end of April
-May 21-23: First series of season vs. Cubs at Busch Stadium
-May 24-June 2: First of two 10 game 3 city road trips during the season. This one has them in Chicago to face the White Sox before traveling to Arizona for a 4 game series and then L.A. for a 3 game series with the Dodgers.
-June 11-13: First series of season vs. Cubs at Wrigley
-July 1-11: 2nd of two 10 game 3 city road trips which takes them through to the All-Star Break. This one has them start at Colorado for a 4 game series before traveling to San Francisco and then ending the first half of Wrigley. In fact, the Colorado and San Franciso series will be their final west coast road trip of the season.
-August 6-8, 13-15: I-70 Series back to back weekends. First weekend at Busch Stadium. Second weekend at Kauffman Stadium.
-September 20-October 3: Cardinals end the season only playing the Brewers and Cubs the final two weeks of the season. They play 4 in Milwaukee and 3 at Wrigley before ending the regular season with 3 vs. the Brewers and 3 vs. the Cubs.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
Cardinals' 2021 schedule has been announced: https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/schedule/2021-04?partnerId=zh-20200709-224097-STL&qid=33&bt_ee=E29osmvIHrjAp/dPmz6dIIqHc9E1zwo90z2UZuxOkntz5qfHSMkjhE532K6y68qA&bt_ts=1594316274508

Among the highlights:
-Season opener: April 1 @ Cincinnati (Opening road trip takes the Redbirds to Cincy and Miami)
-Home opener: April 8 vs. Milwaukee
-Cardinals will have played their entire season series against Washington and Philadelphia by the end of April
-May 21-23: First series of season vs. Cubs at Busch Stadium
-May 24-June 2: First of two 10 game 3 city road trips during the season. This one has them in Chicago to face the White Sox before traveling to Arizona for a 4 game series and then L.A. for a 3 game series with the Dodgers.
-June 11-13: First series of season vs. Cubs at Wrigley
-July 1-11: 2nd of two 10 game 3 city road trips which takes them through to the All-Star Break. This one has them start at Colorado for a 4 game series before traveling to San Francisco and then ending the first half of Wrigley. In fact, the Colorado and San Franciso series will be their final west coast road trip of the season.
-August 6-8, 13-15: I-70 Series back to back weekends. First weekend at Busch Stadium. Second weekend at Kauffman Stadium.
-September 20-October 3: Cardinals end the season only playing the Brewers and Cubs the final two weeks of the season. They play 4 in Milwaukee and 3 at Wrigley before ending the regular season with 3 vs. the Brewers and 3 vs. the Cubs.

Very good summary of the Cards' schedule. I did note that they have two roads trips of 10 games each, their longest. Their longest home stand is one for 9 games, July 30-August 8 vs Minnesota, Atlanta, and Kansas City.

All Cardinals games will be broadcast from "home" this season: https://www.stltoday.com/sports/bas...tent=f9eaa91236962cd453f6cc587e8ba41779510bf9

The TV announcers will be in the Fox Sports Midwest booth for home games with road games being called via monitors from the PBS affiliate in St. Louis which is used by Fox Sports Midwest and other outlets, including national networks, when people are interviewed about St. Louis topics. In addition, only one person will be at the studio desk for pre- and postgame shows so expect a lot of double or triple boxes during discussions.

The Cardinals Radio Network guys will call all the games, both home and road, via televison monitors from their booth at Busch Stadium. Shannon and Rooney, with Mike Claiborne in the mix as well, will call all the home games while the road games will feature either Rooney, Claiborne, or Ricky Horton.

Back end of that Cardinals bullpen is looking pretty dicey right now. Hicks opts out, Brebbia had TJ surgery, Gallegos is apparently still stuck in Mexico, and Genesis Cabrera has been diagnosed with covid.

My guess is that either Andrew Miller or Carlos Martinez (if they can talk him into it) as the closer. I think Helsley is probably still a year or two away before I'd trust him with the closer's job.

I like Tim but sometimes he comes off as negative. Almost like a cranky old man. I'd like to see more Jim Edmonds.
giphy.gif

Even if I am a card carrying curmudgeon I agree with having more of Jimmy Ballgame.

the national

the Front Range
Kim struggled in the 9th. He almost looked nervous so I’ll give him a pass. But still, he’s gotta relax and settle in. 60 games are gonna fly by and we don’t have time to have in-game tryouts for closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.