The Illinois Coaching Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
#3,202      
At the Cubit firing, Whitman made the fact that the next coach was already locked in as clear as he reasonably could, the job posting requirement was waived, the Lovie news broke all over the place within hours, and the official announcement came two days later.

At the Groce firing, Whitman specifically said this was going to be a longer search process, they didn't even bother to get the job posting up for two days, there are no reports of any deal being done, and it's already five days since the job became open.

This. Is. Not. Lovie.

If you don't believe Whitman's own very direct and specific words, and you don't believe the obvious factual reality, believe me I guess? :confused:

Bro, quit with the rational logic. Whitman pisses glitter and he's working on the details of Lionel Hollins contract now.

#3,205      
Can't blame Bryce Drew for that. What was the player thinking? I still want Drew.

Actually, on the replay the Vandy kid is obviously confused and looks up to Drew to see what to do but Bryce is looking upcourt with his back to the ball. With no feedback, the kid panicked and decided to foul. I do put that on the coach to a certain extent.

You also have to factor in that Drew chose to use his last timeout with something like 7 minutes left, preventing him from being able to regroup and prevent any such mistakes.

Not totally down on Drew as a prospective coach here, but he definitely bears some responsibility for that potentially game-costing mistake.

Last edited:
#3,206      
Bro, quit with the rational logic. Whitman pisses glitter and he's working on the details of Lionel Hollins contract now.

Lionel Hollins? Is that just a name at random?

I'm on high alert for some random NBA guy to Kool Aid Man into this process.

I mean....could there be something to the Sam Mitchell thing? I've already heard him mentioned for Minny if Pitino bolts.

#3,207      
You are jaded from the Groce hiring/debacle - we all share your pessimism, to an extent. Let's see how things shake out without the continuous "you're naive" narrative.

Last edited:
#3,208      
I feel like there has to be some means of hanging on to Tilmon and/or landing Smith without the new coach retaining Walker but it certainly seems like that would greatly improve the chances. All I know is that I hope we get it figured out soon so that we can worry about something other than losing great recruits and/or being left at the altar by our perceived top coaching targets.

After moving to Arizona and seeing more of their games, it just makes me that much more hungry to see Illinois be constantly relevant in basketball again.

I think we are in a bad position if walker takes the job at Mizz I think recruiting against cuonzo is already going to be a nightmare in Chicago (when you add all of the other coaches dipping into Chicago). Add to it a strong presence in the St. Louis area and I think the recruiting job for the next coach gets immensely more difficult. I hope I'm wrong.

I also hope we can wrap up the coaching search quickly

#3,210      
You are jaded from the Groce hiring/debacle - we all share your pessimism, to an extent. Let's see how things shake out without the continuous "you're naive" narrative.

No, I'm excited about and interested in the coaches we're actually choosing from.

And the nutpunch gifs and "classic Illinois" nonsense when we invest the future of the program in a quality coach is going to be disgusting in the moment and laughable in retrospect.

#3,211      
Archie has to be the clear cut number 1 choice. I'm not sure we can get him, but he has to be #1.

1. Youngest
2. Success in NCAA
3. Recruits Chicago already
4. Player development has been solid
5. Players seem to love him

#3,212      

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
At the Cubit firing, Whitman made the fact that the next coach was already locked in as clear as he reasonably could, the job posting requirement was waived, the Lovie news broke all over the place within hours, and the official announcement came two days later.

At the Groce firing, Whitman specifically said this was going to be a longer search process, they didn't even bother to get the job posting up for two days, there are no reports of any deal being done, and it's already five days since the job became open.

This. Is. Not. Lovie.

If you don't believe Whitman's own very direct and specific words, and you don't believe the obvious factual reality, believe me I guess? :confused:

You may be correct. The other side of the coin, he may very well have an agreement in principle with someone who's team is still playing and didn't want to go all Bill Frieder.

#3,213      
Lionel Hollins? Is that just a name at random?

I'm on high alert for some random NBA guy to Kool Aid Man into this process.

I mean....could there be something to the Sam Mitchell thing? I've already heard him mentioned for Minny if Pitino bolts.

lol i made it up. honestly. i just don't think we have much leverage in all of this considering the carousel that's opened even further with the IU job.

#3,214      
The odd timing of Bollant's firing and circumstances around that is probably the best public evidence that the search on the men's side is over.

#3,215      
No, I'm excited about and interested in the coaches we're actually choosing from.

And the nutpunch gifs and "classic Illinois" nonsense when we invest the future of the program in a quality coach is going to be disgusting in the moment and laughable in retrospect.

Then make that more clear in your posts, your holiness(could.not.resist).

#3,219      
Bryce Drew was 5-7 this year in games that ended by 6 points or less. Today was his 8th loss in that category.

Last edited:
#3,220      
The odd timing of Bollant's firing and circumstances around that is probably the best public evidence that the search on the men's side is over.

Eh, I don't really buy that. Multitasking is part of the gig and Bollant was so awful.

Forcing the gals to play another year under that clearly moribund administration would have been a dereliction of JW's duty at that point.

#3,222      

Deleted member 228346

D
Since this seems to be a popular thing to do, my wish-list for the next Illinois head coach:

1.) Not John Groce

#3,223      
Actually, on the replay the Vandy kid is obviously confused and looks up to Drew to see what to do but Bryce is looking upcourt with his back to the ball. With no feedback, the kid panicked and decided to foul. I do put that on the coach to a certain extent.

You also have to factor in that Drew chose to use his last timeout with something like 7 minutes left, preventing him from being able to regroup and prevent any such mistakes.

Not totally down on Drew as a prospective coach here, but he definitely bears some responsibility for that potentially game-costing mistake.

That said, it did all happen pretty fast and his post-game interview was classy. Seems like a decent person.

#3,224      
Eh, I don't really buy that. Multitasking is part of the gig and Bollant was so awful.

Forcing the gals to play another year under that clearly moribund administration would have been a dereliction of JW's duty at that point.

I agree. Have you ever watched any of Bollant's press conferences? Just pathetic.

#3,225      
I know he has been mentioned in this thread (who hasn't) but I'm not sure I saw it in the context of Jerry Colangelo.

Danny Manning. Played for Colangelo in Phoenix, is developing a reputation as great big man coach (Tilmon's development).

Not saying I am a fan of this, I'm kinda not but could this be something totally out of left field?

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2015/8/20/9174073/throwback-thursday-danny-manning-phoenix-suns-ticket-championship

Contract Negotiation
With Manning suffering a torn ACL on a 1 year contract, both the Suns and their injured player were facing a potentially awkward situation.

Jerry Colangelo nipped that in the bud immediately after Manning suffered his injury:

"[Manning] made a severe sacrifice at a great risk,' said Colangelo. "And that won't be forgotten."
I can't imagine the Civil War that would have developed on Suns blogs had this situation occurred in 2015 but in October of 1995, the Suns and Manning agreed on a 6 year, $40 million dollar contract with an option for a 7th year.

With rehab going well, both parties were pleased with the deal that was struck:

Colangelo:

"There was never an issue as to if he would sign, only when and what the terms would be," Colangelo said. "There is a point in rehabilitation where you either come back or you don't. He passed that point a long time ago. We don't anticipate any problems."

Status
Not open for further replies.