The Illinois Coaching Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
#3,628      
I know this has come up a bunch, and I'm not calling you out to explain this specifically, but what are the "real" integrity issues with Scott Drew?

From what I can tell, he started getting Texas kids to consider a dormant Baylor program which drew the ire of Bobby Knight, Billy Gillespie and Rick Barnes and caused those guys to b**ch about it publicly.

IMO, the ability he has shown to successfully navigate the Texas AAU recruiting scene is something that should greatly appeal to Illinois fans given the challenges any coach faces in recruiting to this program.

The same Bobby Knight that said Henson was dirty.

#3,629      
Please punch my ticket aboard the Scott Drew train.

Choose a different method of conveyance, homeboy.

GRAB YOUR BAGS THE KEATTS TRAIN LEAVIN

tenor.gif

#3,630      

Deleted member 4723

D
Scott Drew should come here just to get away from those Baylor uniforms.

#3,631      

illynifan34

That's a winner!!
OH
I know this has come up a bunch, and I'm not calling you out to explain this specifically, but what are the "real" integrity issues with Scott Drew?

From what I can tell, he started getting Texas kids to consider a dormant Baylor program which drew the ire of Bobby Knight, Billy Gillespie and Rick Barnes and caused those guys to b**ch about it publicly.

IMO, the ability he has shown to successfully navigate the Texas AAU recruiting scene is something that should greatly appeal to Illinois fans given the challenges any coach faces in recruiting to this program.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/04/...s-major-violations-for-baylor-basketball.html

Interesting name there is DJ Cooper.

#3,632      
I have long agreed
I wouldn't say he was slimy, just that he recruited players that didn't have good off the court habits and he didn't discipline them well enough. Pierce was just the most egregious example. The only other example I could find readily was a circa 2002/2003 Quad City Times article about a Iowa bball player(Boyd?) getting popped for underage drinking. I swear there were more instances, I just can't remember/find them.

#3,637      
I can just picture it now. If Baylor looses this game, "Scott Drew is terrible!!!" "NO to drew!!" Even tho drew would be a great coach to have as he would most definitely put ILLinois back on the map.

But I am definitely on the Keatts train!

#3,638      

jmilt7

Waukegan
Thanks! I'm gonna have to frame this :thumb:

I've been on this site since 2008, but rarely ever posted until this basketball season. I have basically 0 inside info, but have followed Illini sports and recruiting since my freshman year there in 04. Some of these comments are just ridiculous and I just try to bring some grounded perspective.

Grounded perspective? We ain't got no grounded perspective. We don't need no grounded perspective. I don't have to show you any stinkin' grounded perspective!

:)

#3,639      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
All of the realistic candidates are disappearing.

#3,641      
Keatts to NC State just makes too much sense. Other than Louisville, he's never been 125 miles from there.

As much as I like him, it never seemed like a fit here

#3,642      
I wouldn't say he was slimy, just that he recruited players that didn't have good off the court habits and he didn't discipline them well enough. Pierce was just the most egregious example. The only other example I could find readily was a circa 2002/2003 Quad City Times article about a Iowa bball player(Boyd?) getting popped for underage drinking. I swear there were more instances, I just can't remember/find them.

Wrong wrong wrong

The problem with Alford was not was his player did, like you suggest, it was how Alford handled it when his player misbehaved. He vigorously defended Pierre Pierce without taking a look at what happened and one could argue it was a factor, among many, that allowed Pierrce to escape punishment and then Pierce went on to assault another women.

some informative reading:

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebas...d/87476/pierre-pierce-still-haunting-iowa-too

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/03/31/bernstein-ucla-hired-a-scumbag/

http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla_ba...82/ucla-steve-alford-iowa-hawkeyes-background

#3,646      
Mike Thomas didn't fail because Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens said no, he failed because he chose John Groce over Chris Collins. He didn't fail because Kevin Sumlin and Larry Fedora said no, he failed because he chose Tim Beckman over Pat Narduzzi.

I agree with this in principle. MT might just as easily stumbled backward into Collins and Narduzzi in spite of himself and, if he had, certainly he would be perceived today as a huge success. But isn't that sort of the point? I mean, weren't the earlier missteps really just byproducts of the same shortcomings that produced the later failures? Flailing around, throwing darts at various brand names, putting too much weight on the wrong people's advice, lacking a reasonable plan or progression, not knowing when to cut bait, misreading people, unwillingness to adjust priorities as marketplace realities shift in front of you, succumbing to panic at the clock runs long. Granted, if you want to apply efficient-markets theory to the world of coach searches, then an AD is never doing more than mitigating one set of risk factors over the others and setting his personal slider somewhere on the floor-ceiling spectrum. But with MT, I feel like the body of evidence strongly suggests somebody who was never in control of the process on his end. And I'm still not enough of a nihilist to believe even that ultimately makes no difference between success or failure.

Until demonstrated otherwise, I have confidence in Whitman to separate the Collins/Narduzzis from the Groce/Beckmans at a far better rate than his predecessor. Exhibit A: Lovie. Exhibit B: the vast reduction in leaks springing from his office. Exhibit C: his background. Exhibit D: listening to him speak.

#3,648      

Deleted member 29907

D
Probably for a couple of reasons:
1. There's a lot of tradition that gets inculcated into the freshman. The history, Thomas Jefferson saying that learning never stops so instead of being called freshman, sophomores, juniors and seniors, UVA students are 1st through 4 Years. The main section of the campus is "The Lawn" as opposed to our "Quad" and the whole campus is referred to as "The Grounds". Some of it comes off a bit stuffy and elitist to an outsider. Especially when you get corrected about asking whether that undergrad is a freshman etc....

2. There are a lot of legacy/multigenerational students there

3. There are a lot of well to do kids there, a number of which were very entitled. I saw so many used Jeep Grand Cherokee's and Volvo's parked off campus in the off campus student housing areas. When they take spring break they actually go places. I was eating a hurried lunch at the campus Subway right after spring break one time and overhead a bunch of underHoos talking about their fabulous trip to Italy.

4. There was a UVa saying about JMU(The Virginia equivalent of ISU/NIU) where JMU stood for Just Missed UVa.

5. A fair number of UVa students had the same story that I heard at UI, "I didn't get into Harvard, yada yada yada"

6. They DRESS UP for football games. I"m not pooping you either. Though sometimes the dress is somewhat comical, as 18/19yr olds will wear a nice Orange and Blue tie with button down pressed shirt paired with shorts and flip flops.

Agree with most of this - and the females wear dresses for #6. In general, an overall (somewhat obnoxious) preppy type group. Many from out of state and connected somehow.

#4 I'd put JMU a bit more selective than those two you list.

#3,649      

jmilt7

Waukegan
If anyone doubts the elite perception of the IU job vs the UI job, all you have to do is watch espn's coverage of Crean's firing and the relative amount of play the two open positions get in the media. It pains me to say it, but it's not even close. Having lived in Indiana for a few years, I can tell you that it is all IU basketball, all the time. They don't care about football, and outside of a few pockets around Lafayette and the Region Purdue is an afterthought.

Having said that, the pressure is immense. The fans are insane, as is the administration. No matter what you do, you will always live in the shadow of Bobby Knight. No sane person would want that job. Crean won a Big 10 title last year and got run out of town for God's sake.

Actually, considering that some of these coaches have incredible egos (a supposition on my part), I would suspect there are many who would want the job. Just to show they could turn it all around or surpass Bobby Knight or whatever. But I agree with your sentiment.

#3,650      
All of the realistic candidates are disappearing.
And yet we read here that speed of hire isn't as important as taking the time to get the right candidate, as if the two are mutually exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.