The Illinois Coaching Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
#4,026      
Monty Williams with Anthony Grant, Jamall Walker, and Jerrance Howard. Get back in on Tugs Bowen?

#4,027      
I love you guys but to bag on Monty, like he might not be good enough for us, is completely rediculous. Just in the short time he was here in OKC he made a huge impact on the team and community. He is a leader and a communicator too the highest degree. His coaching had a large inidividual impact on the thunder players. After his wife Ingrid died, he just couldn't return to the team. He is an amazing person and we would be extremely lucky to have him. I can only imagine the staff he could put together.

This is a good question. If monty is our guy, what can we expect as far as his assistants go? Who is he connected with in the coaching circle?

#4,028      
I love you guys but to bag on Monty, like he might not be good enough for us, is completely rediculous. Just in the short time he was here in OKC he made a huge impact on the team and community. He is a leader and a communicator too the highest degree. His coaching had a large inidividual impact on the thunder players. After his wife Ingrid died, he just couldn't return to the team. He is an amazing person and we would be extremely lucky to have him. I can only imagine the staff he could put together.

Watching Durant talk about him got me choked up.

#4,029      
The best basketball minds on the planet earth continually go to bat for this guy. What other endorsement would one need to be convinced he's a capable coach for Illinois?

It's crazy to me that he isn't the clear consensus #1 here.

#4,030      
I think due to his family situation Monty is staying with the Spurs. I think Archie Miller or Marshall goes to Indiana. Not sure where that leaves us don't see Miller coming here. Still hoping that Bennett will come but doubt it.

#4,033      
This is a good question. If monty is our guy, what can we expect as far as his assistants go? Who is he connected with in the coaching circle?

Anthony Grant loosely. His strongest connection by far is Randy Ayers (former national coach of the year at tOSU). People have said that Ayers won't end up here due to recruiting improprieties in his past. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as lead assistant under Monty for a few years leading into retirement.

#4,034      

sacraig

The desert
I'd rather picture our AD working diligently on finding our next coach rather than wasting time reading this thread.

I don't know. I think S&C could bring a really valuable dose of pessimism to JW's rosy outlook.

#4,035      
As far as his coaching abilities and leadership skills are concerned, I'd be thrilled with Williams coming to Illinois. However I would pass on hiring him simply because he seems entrenched as an "NBA" guy, who would leave Illinois quickly for an NBA gig.

#4,037      
Come Monday night, one of these songs will be getting HEAVY Play rotation 'round these parts:

1. Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen
2. Is That All There Is?
3. Crazy
4. Monday, Monday, Can't Trust That Day
5. The HALLELUJAH Chorus

Hopefully it's something we can all Handel...

#4,038      

PhillyIllini

Los Angeles
I think due to his family situation Monty is staying with the Spurs. I think Archie Miller or Marshall goes to Indiana. Not sure where that leaves us don't see Miller coming here. Still hoping that Bennett will come but doubt it.

:confused:

The heavy rumors are pointing to Alford, not Miller or Marshall to IU.

#4,039      
As far as his coaching abilities and leadership skills are concerned, I'd be thrilled with Williams coming to Illinois. However I would pass on hiring him simply because he seems entrenched as an "NBA" guy, who would leave Illinois quickly for an NBA gig.

I'd rather have a coach get hired away to the NBA than another NCAA team, or end up fired.

#4,042      
I'd rather have a coach get hired away to the NBA than another NCAA team, or end up fired.

I question whether or not this philosophy gets us any closer to revitalizing the Illinois basketball program we know and love. I see what people are saying about Monty- Would he be here too short to set us well down the path to success?

#4,043      
Miller or Marshall? Would JW announce on Monday naming a coach who's team is still playing?

#4,045      
:confused:

The heavy rumors are pointing to Alford, not Miller or Marshall to IU.

I imagine IU would've reached out to Alford before canning Crean. There is no way they didn't. I'm not saying a deal is hammered out, but I will be absolutely shocked if he doesn't take the IU job days after UCLA's season concludes.

Cue Obelix saying this doesn't happen.

#4,046      
The only concern I have with Monty is that some guys are college guys and some guys are NBA. Monty strikes me as an NBA guy that handles adults and pro players well. Can he come down to coach players who are one year out of high school and are no where near pros?

College just strikes me as more focus on basic skills. But I think he will do well, it may just be a learning curve. If we do get Monty I have to think Colangelo's hands are all over this one. I'm sure he is tired of the drop in the programs standing.

#4,047      

haasi

New York
It's like an hour late, but this one just occurred to me: "No Jank You"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4,049      

Deleted member 228346

D
Guess I better order a few spare F5 buttons for the weekend.

#4,050      

sacraig

The desert
Miller or Marshall? Would JW announce on Monday naming a coach who's team is still playing?

Of course their teams are playing each other as we speak so at least one will be available Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.