World Cup 2018

Peru 0:1 Denmark

Good effort by both sides. Shame to see either one lose though the Peruvians appeared to be the better side in spite of the result.

Was a little bit surprised the official didn't give Peru the opportunity to toss it in at the very end of extra time in the 2nd half.

Croatia 2:0 Nigeria

Experience wins out over youth. Super Eagles weren't quite so super though it can be expected that there will be some growing pains for the youngest side in the tournament.

With Croatia getting the 3 points, is it possible that their match-up Thursday vs. Argentina is a must win for Messi's side?

Croatia 2:0 Nigeria

Experience wins out over youth. Super Eagles weren't quite so super though it can be expected that there will be some growing pains for the youngest side in the tournament.

With Croatia getting the 3 points, is it possible that their match-up Thursday vs. Argentina is a must win for Messi's side?

Not necessarily, but a loss would be trouble.

Tomorrow's schedule has a couple marquee match-ups:

-Costa Rica vs. Serbia
-Germany vs. Mexico (Match of the day more than likely to some)
-Brazil vs. Switzerland (Match of the day based on FIFA rankings)

This is a really wide-open tournament. Except for about a 30 minute period for Spain, none of the super-teams have looked as advertised.

You know who had a pretty routine win in which they looked like a sleeper contender? Croatia.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Argentina 1:1 Iceland

Disappointing result for the Argentines. Iceland's supporters have to be thrilled by this result though.

I am by no means a soccer fan, but I watched the second half of this game, and it was exciting. The whole underdog thing had me cheering hard for Iceland.

orangeroses07

Centralia, IL
Harry Kane with 2 goals today for England as they survive Tunisia with a 2-1 win.

Other results:
Sweden 1:0 South Korea
Belgium 3:0 Panama

Belgium was my pick heading in, and against Panama they flexed their muscles. So much talent on that Belgium side.

WTH! Belgium is about the size of CU, how the heck are they fielding good teams!?!?!? :D

Golden generations of talent pop up in strange places. Uruguay is less than a 3rd of the size of Belgium and they were in the semis of World Cup 2010 and won the 2011 Copa America. And what's left of their golden generation may make another deep run this year.

What Belgium and Uruguay have in common of course is being small countries smushed in between existing soccer powerhouses. Coaching, scouting, pro opportunities, training ideas and the like can all flow through their borders.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Golden generations of talent pop up in strange places. Uruguay is less than a 3rd of the size of Belgium and they were in the semis of World Cup 2010 and won the 2011 Copa America. And what's left of their golden generation may make another deep run this year.

What Belgium and Uruguay have in common of course is being small countries smushed in between existing soccer powerhouses. Coaching, scouting, pro opportunities, training ideas and the like can all flow through their borders.

Plus it's their sport. Kids play street soccer in those countries like USA kids play basketball. Also, having a smaller country, both in population and geographical, allows a more consistent national youth development program that helps identify possible players for the national program.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Or Eden Hazard.

Lukaku is a bit overrated IMO. He's definitely not worth the £90 million ManU paid for him.

He played well the other day, but with ManU, his first touch on the ball was putrid...

I guess guys with his physical attributes and capabilities can get away with having a crap touch on the ball, but good grief. Work at it!