Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2017)

Closed Thread

Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:59 PM   #226
jrichisamazing
Quote:
Originally Posted by icengineer View Post
I was thinking this same thing. And I almost don't care what school someone goes to, but if they are getting their degree in 3 years, they've proven themselves to be above average for sure when it comes to their smarts.

All that aside, I want a frosh big. I want to get in the habit of building our own. It's a great selling point in recruiting and just makes us look that much better if we can always point to grooming our own talent.
Luckily for us, we can get a transfer big and a frosh big.

Personally, I want guys that help win games. And I'm guessing that's the staff's number 1 goal as well.

Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:19 AM   #227
icengineer
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
Luckily for us, we can get a transfer big and a frosh big.

Personally, I want guys that help win games. And I'm guessing that's the staff's number 1 goal as well.
Absolutely! But I doubt that, based on BU's presser, we will go after two bigs. I would hope that moving forward that our default position is (or will be) to target the HS guys over grad transfers.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 09:37 AM   #228
TownieMatt
CU Expat
We're going hard after two bigs in the 19 class, Okoro and Liddell. A transfer or 5th year big for next season makes sense, but I think wing will be the focus for HS kids in 18.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:57 PM   #229
IlliniDent
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownieMatt View Post
We're going hard after two bigs in the 19 class, Okoro and Liddell. A transfer or 5th year big for next season makes sense, but I think wing will be the focus for HS kids in 18.
Yea I agree. Granted, would take BPJ in a second as he would really add a solid long defensive C. Front court options of BPJ, Okoro, Liddell, Ebo would be a great group going forward once Black and Finke graduate
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:02 PM   #230
PtownIllini8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
old-man-YMCA players can thrive in BU's offense. The whole point of his offense is to put players in positions where their skillset thrives. Boudreaux looks like he can score in the post, can play at the high post, or out on the perimeter with his 3-point shooting.

I think some people are taking the whole "fast paced" offense a little too far. BU likes to push the ball to try to get an easy basket. But we have to remember that the great majority of our possessions are in half court sets. You don't have to be athletic to get buckets in this offense.

OTOH, athleticism is really important in BU's pressing defense which is where Boudreaux might struggle. But considering our lack of depth, I think he would be a perfect veteran player to pair up with a young freshman like Okoro.
I think he's mainly a 5, so I don't think he'd struggle too much. If he's playing stretch 4 they'd have to tone down the pressing D. I like his skills on O and he can help next year plus one since he's immediately eligible with two to go. However, zi'd certainly take BPJ first.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 08:43 AM   #231
illiniwil
Why do guys keep bring up BPJ when he's obviously not interested in us?
The dartmotuh transfer seems to be a nice rotation big with some ball skills if we can wrestle him away form Northwestern. I know nothing, but it seems far too logical that the Wildcats could be a logical destination .
Old Nov 12, 2017, 09:11 AM   #232
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by PtownIllini8 View Post
This kid has nice size at 6"10" looks to be 265 lbs or so, nice shot and he's a grad transfer with two years left since he's graduating in 3 years and is sitting out this year. Nice shot from 3 point land and solid handles, I'd even say plus handles for a big man. I hope we get him. From what I understand he's an Ilinois native, so that should help.
He is more like 6-7/6-8. Listed at 6-8.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:11 AM   #233
PtownIllini8
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
He is more like 6-7/6-8. Listed at 6-8.
Yeah it looks like 6'8" 235 is more accurate, thanks Combs. He looked like he's multi-talented, nice shot, solid handles especially for his size and he's obviously smart as all get out if he's graduating from Dartmouth in three years.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 01:27 PM   #234
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Quote:
Yeah it looks like 6'8" 235 is more accurate, thanks Combs. He looked like he's multi-talented, nice shot, solid handles especially for his size and he's obviously smart as all get out if he's graduating from Dartmouth in three years.
Probably had a lot of AP credits from high school.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 04:10 PM   #235
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbachhuber View Post
UIUC gave my younger son 36 credits.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 04:11 PM   #236
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinibatt View Post
The Boudreaux to UIUC thing is a real thing.
Boudreaux would start from day 1. He's the real deal.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 04:14 PM   #237
whovous
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
At the 5? Would he start for Northwestern as well?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 04:28 PM   #238
HTT
Banned
We need to show Bourdeaux during the season that we will be so much better than Northwestern onward with their two best shooting guards graduated.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 04:40 PM   #239
FC Illiniman
Quote:
Old Nov 12, 2017, 07:55 PM   #240
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Quote:
UIUC gave my younger son 36 credits.
My daughter barely made it out of high school. Had to go the community college route to earn her way to Champaign.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 02:51 AM   #241
Greensboro
Quote:
... and he's obviously smart as all get out if he's graduating from Dartmouth in three years.
Quote:
My son was in an early college program for Jr & Sr. years so he started college a few hours short of being a junior, most of the kids that were in the program for 4 years entered college well into junior year, but very few still graduated in 3 years...so even with AP credits getting through Dartmouth while playing basketball in 3 yrs, is pretty special.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 06:45 AM   #242
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensboro View Post
My son was in an early college program for Jr & Sr. years so he started college a few hours short of being a junior, most of the kids that were in the program for 4 years entered college well into junior year, but very few still graduated in 3 years...so even with AP credits getting through Dartmouth while playing basketball in 3 yrs, is pretty special.
What high school and college were those for your son, out of curiosity??
Old Nov 13, 2017, 09:45 AM   #243
coryfor3
Quote:
I'm quite sure he's been subject to as many advantages in life and specifically at Dartmouth as anyone could ask for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gail_Koziara_Boudreaux

He had Big 10 offers from Penn State and Iowa, an offer from Iowa State and Boston College too.

Last edited by coryfor3; Nov 13, 2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:25 AM   #244
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by coryfor3 View Post
I'm quite sure he's been subject to as many advantages in life and specifically at Dartmouth as anyone could ask for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gail_Koziara_Boudreaux

He had Big 10 offers from Penn State and Iowa, an offer from Iowa State and Boston College too.
Plus NW and as I've said before I think that's where he ends up.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:48 AM   #245
IlliniBrave75
UIHoopsRecruits‏ @UIHoopsRecruits Nov 10
Rough class for the Illini to need a big

Evan Daniels‏Verified account @EvanDaniels Nov 10
If this is the year of the big man ... enjoy it because the 2018 class is the worst overall crop of post players I've scouted in the last 12 years. No depth at the position.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:54 AM   #246
tpbradley
Quote:
My daughter barely made it out of high school. Had to go the community college route to earn her way to Champaign.
Is she taller than Brad Underwood? Something something growth plates?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:11 AM   #247
IlliniBrave75
Winter risers: Which seniors could see their stock soar?

Tevian Jones

Offers: Illinois.

Why his recruitment could take off: Frankly, it's a it mystifying that some Pac 12 level program didn't snatch him up early. He's long, has good positional size and with his athleticism and developing jump shot has a chance to pay off in a big way. Illinois recently jumped in with an offer.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....ir-stock-soar-

Last edited by Dan; Nov 13, 2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:46 AM   #248
Obelix
Darius Garland to Vanderbilt.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/r...ilt-commodores
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:16 PM   #249
Illiniguy13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
Great pick up for Bryce Drew. I'm probably in the minority here but I always thought Garland was a little overrated. Either way I'm happy he's not going to be a Hoosier. Here's to hoping Langford follows him.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:28 PM   #250
Spoon House
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
Indiana fans foresaw this last week once the announcement details were made public. They had their cups on.

Good for Drew. Weird that Garland wants to play in a mid-major conference, but he'll make noise no matter what.