Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 09:44 PM   #1826
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
Where have you gotten the idea that Ayo canít shoot?

He had 9 threes in a game this year. He had 4 threes in the state championship game. His high school stats had him over 50% from three this year. Of course, I donít believe that stat and am sure it is exaggerated, but he would have to have shot a decent percentage to even have that claim made. Heís a very good free throw shooter. He can shoot.

I watched him shoot at Ubben in an open gym and he showed a very good touch. He shot threes well enough in AAU that they had to respect him and he would get to the basket. One of the top scorers in AAU.

Again, what makes you think he canít shoot?
Iím not sure why, but somehow Ayo is going to shoot like 40% from 3 after years of us bringing in guys who were good shooters only to shoot like 28% just because Iím feeling an Illinois bizarro world here in effect since everyone rags on his form.

Hall of Shame:
@TomCrean: I am doing great. I have been thinking about you alot since last weekend. A whole lot. How are you doing?
"W.I.N.(T.) Whatever is necessary today" - Tim Beckman
"It's not ideal but for now, I don't think it'll put a dagger in the heart of the program" - Paul Kowalczyk
Kramer116 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 09:45 PM   #1827
skyIdub
Winged Warrior
It's like when you're in traffic, and you watch the people jockey around you, in and out of lanes just to get right up against the next car, even though there's two miles of traffic barely moving ahead of them.

Can you really not see past the one car in front of you?
skyIdub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 09:45 PM   #1828
Greensboro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhl84 View Post
Malik Hall now as well. They gave him "Associate Head Coach" title. My son is huge Gator fan, he keeps texting me about the offers. Really getting annoying.

Try sending your son to Carolina if you want to experience annoying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greensboro is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 09:53 PM   #1829
FiveStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
Itís a dead period now.
Thought we had an in home with Okoro on Friday?
FiveStar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:06 PM   #1830
westcoastillini
Tevian J

He scored 25 in this game. So smooth. Outside, inside, off the bounce, pull up jumpers, brings the ball up the court, length. #4 in dark blue.

https://youtu.be/Un0UmtF_3gk
westcoastillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:32 PM   #1831
HTime
I for one am really confident in BU and his staff. Although we would love to get every top prospect out of Chicago, Illinois, and surrounding areas, in today’s world, I do not believe that is possible. There is too much visibility where every school is recruiting these players. BU and his staff had to dig deeper and I feel found some very good talent late in the signing period and found talent from across the country. I am excited about all the recruits coming in next year. I see athletes, scorers, and upside with each and every one of them. They may not all be stars their freshman year but we need to look long term, be realistic, and trust BU and his staff in developing the players. Unfortunately, with the turnover, we are still a bit behind and have to reach for some players. However, over time we will see that players will stay and we can focus more on the elite players and sign these guys in the fall and only reach for the players in the spring. We just need to dig ourselves out of the hole that Weber and Groce dug us into. Although we all would like to see this turn around in a year or two, that is not going to happen. Let’s get our feet squarely planted and move forward.

As far as creaning players, it is tough However, the staff will be judged on how they produce and if a couple of players need to be pushed along to situations that suit them better, I guess Smith, Lucas, Finke (yes, I think all three were to some degree shown the door) need to move on. In the end, let’s get Illini basketball back to where it should be. Let’s find players that will take us to the next level that the previous players could not.
HTime is online now Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:21 AM   #1832
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniNation1010 View Post
I heard the staff will be visiting Whitney next week, not tomorrow
You are correct it is next Thursday (4/19) for Whitney in home.
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2018, 04:10 AM   #1833
VAIllini35
OFL Supplier, BU's Brylcreem
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastillini View Post
He scored 25 in this game. So smooth. Outside, inside, off the bounce, pull up jumpers, brings the ball up the court, length. #4 in dark blue.

https://youtu.be/Un0UmtF_3gk
good to see some footage but got seasick . Note to all parent videographers - take a cue from the big boys - pull back and use gentle pans.

... what are people thinking? Do we really need to see a kid back pedal down the court after a made shot ?
VAIllini35 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2018, 05:11 AM   #1834
SescIllini
Like the motor and competitiveness of Tevian and Griffin. Tevian size at the high school makes him look like the Greek freak Akemtumbo. Ayo, Griffin, and Tev give us length and size at the CG and wing.
SescIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2018, 05:53 AM   #1835
pruman91
didn't see this posted yet....

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colle...cc7186c7a.html

Underwood said heís already looking forward to practice when Dosunmu squares off against returning guard Trent Frazier and when this new wave of players fights for playing time.

ďTrent and Ayo are so different,Ē he said. ďAyo will help Trent in certain areas and vice versa. And Ayo is an elite competitor. He relishes that. I canít wait to put those two against each other in practice.Ē

very excited about NEW Fighting Illini roster

Illini are Walken on sunshine
pruman91 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2018, 06:01 AM   #1836
antwix
Srry if I posted this wrong, I've not seen this video of Tevian posted here and thought it was interesting. This kid might be underrated, swag and attitude!

https://youtu.be/FvUH77BIgY0
antwix is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2018, 06:07 AM   #1837
bombayIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTime View Post

......???

As far as creaning players, it is tough .............

I think this "creaning" is old talk. Kids (and parents) coming into any program are aware of what this game (NCAA level, not at a particular sport level) is about. During the season it is next-man-up. After the season it is next-talent-up. Does not mean a kid leaves, but the chances are great that he leaves once told about his (degraded) role moving forward.

It is my understanding that Lucas opted out. But then I assume his role was down graded. ??????
bombayIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2018, 06:16 AM   #1838
ivwilsoniv
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwix View Post
Srry if I posted this wrong, I've not seen this video of Tevian posted here and thought it was interesting. This kid might be underrated, swag and attitude!

FIFY

Also, I love it when kids can make it look like the rim is at 8.5' when they dunk. Tevian has no issues getting up - hopefully he can be a high flier at the college level. I remember watching Miles Bridges dunk all over Illinois last year and realize that Illinois had no one who could do the same in return.

Oh, and this highlight video also makes it look like he shot at least 75% from 3-pt.

Old Apr 12, 2018, 07:05 AM   #1839
imdball
24/7

In 24/7 class rankings Illini are rated 27th. Are NR players ever counted? When are player rankings updated?

Last edited by imdball; Apr 12, 2018 at 07:20 AM.
imdball is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2018, 07:06 AM   #1840
Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivwilsoniv View Post
FIFY

Also, I love it when kids can make it look like the rim is at 8.5' when they dunk. Tevian has no issues getting up - hopefully he can be a high flier at the college level. I remember watching Miles Bridges dunk all over Illinois last year and realize that Illinois had no one who could do the same in return.

Oh, and this highlight video also makes it look like he shot at least 75% from 3-pt.
By far the highest ceiling on the team. He just looks like a future pro, especially once he adds like 10-20 lbs of muscle.
Newman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2018, 08:27 AM   #1841
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
By far the highest ceiling on the team. He just looks like a future pro, especially once he adds like 10-20 lbs of muscle.
I love Jones' potential too. Very high on him. But too soon for the bolded. Ayo also has a high ceiling.
Joel Goodson is online now Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2018, 08:39 AM   #1842
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
He just looks like a future pro
Yeah, guys of that kind of size and length who can get off the floor like that are just super rare. Watching all those video clips of our signees on twitter yesterday, the athleticism difference in his was jarring.

Sometimes guys like that turn into Joe Bertrand, and sometimes they turn into Paul George. It's the luck of the draw, really.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2018, 08:50 AM   #1843
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
Where have you gotten the idea that Ayo canít shoot?
He's not Crandall Head, but he's got a low, slow release that is going to spell trouble against major conference college defense.

He needs to take and make wide open shots. And he's capable of doing that. Build from there.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2018, 08:57 AM   #1844
westcoastillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
Yeah, guys of that kind of size and length who can get off the floor like that are just super rare. Watching all those video clips of our signees on twitter yesterday, the athleticism difference in his was jarring.

Sometimes guys like that turn into Joe Bertrand, and sometimes they turn into Paul George. It's the luck of the draw, really.
I remember thinking Bertrand was our next all-big ten star when he exploded against Mizzou (in a losing effort) his sophomore(?) year. I donít know if he ever had a game like that again.
westcoastillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2018, 08:58 AM   #1845
PtownIllini8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
You are correct it is next Thursday (4/19) for Whitney in home.
Okoro is tomorrow.
PtownIllini8 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2018, 09:04 AM   #1846
ILL in IA
Not trying to comp games, but I have the feeling about Jones that I had with Malcom Hill when he was coming in. Getting something special. Let's hope Jones gets to experience a few things Malcom wasn't able to...like some nice tournament runs.
ILL in IA is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2018, 09:07 AM   #1847
ILL in IA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
He's not Crandall Head, but he's got a low, slow release that is going to spell trouble against major conference college defense.

He needs to take and make wide open shots. And he's capable of doing that. Build from there.
He has the capability to break guys down and get to the rim. Hopefully, by doing that, he can buy himself some space to get the jump shot off. Good players can do 1 of the 2 well. Great guys can do both. Heres to Ayo being great!
ILL in IA is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2018, 09:24 AM   #1848
Illwinsagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwix View Post

https://youtu.be/FvUH77BIgY0
It's funny that he knows that the 3 is going in and is half-way back on defense before it hits the bottom of the net.
Illwinsagain is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2018, 09:31 AM   #1849
mhuml32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL in IA View Post
He has the capability to break guys down and get to the rim. Hopefully, by doing that, he can buy himself some space to get the jump shot off. Good players can do 1 of the 2 well. Great guys can do both. Heres to Ayo being great!

But that's the thing, college teams are going to sag off and make him prove he can shoot. If he can make open shots, they'll start contesting it, which will open driving lanes for him. In the soft, early part of the season he might be able to blow by guys because of talent superiority but once he faces stiffer competition he'll need to show competence from outside in order to activate his strength.
mhuml32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2018, 09:40 AM   #1850
JJB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgoldie View Post
So it was reported that its a dead period... I assume thats over tomorrow?
Dead period is over today.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...r_20170619.pdf
JJB is offline Reply With Quote