Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 12, 2018, 05:01 PM   #726
FC Illiniman
FC Illiniman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioKittner View Post
With 2 open I'm not sure if that's how we should feel or not. Definitely makes you wonder.


Parker Braun, seeing him referenced at 6'7"-10" depending on the source. His video is pretty impressive for a 2018 that's still available. 24/7 says he has Arizona, LSU, Ole Miss and Va Tech offers. If he's a legit 6'9" or better he could probably help us next year. Looks to have plus athleticism and some offensive game but is very slender.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8791677...81ca0d4c6eb89d
Has a shot from perimeter, and real thin, but looks like he can ball. Now we have made a move, let's see where goes. Vids show one thing, the man bun lives. Wonder if he still has it.? Looks like a viable option, played good vs Eybl comp. All for a look, hope he could make it here on his own.
FC Illiniman is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018, 05:01 PM   #727
sacraig
Mad Scientist
sacraig's Avatar
Location: Arizona, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateFarmCenter View Post
Who will have to pay his way to visit. But I guess that's not a big deal.
sacraig is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018, 05:03 PM   #728
StateFarmCenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacraig View Post
We dont get official visits back until August. Expect these posts until then
StateFarmCenter is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018, 05:03 PM   #729
FiveStar
Location: Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioKittner View Post
With 2 open I'm not sure if that's how we should feel or not. Definitely makes you wonder.


Parker Braun, seeing him referenced at 6'7"-10" depending on the source. His video is pretty impressive for a 2018 that's still available. 24/7 says he has Arizona, LSU, Ole Miss and Va Tech offers. If he's a legit 6'9" or better he could probably help us next year. Looks to have plus athleticism and some offensive game but is very slender.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8791677...81ca0d4c6eb89d
That clip where he splits the D at the top of the key and tries to dunk on the third defender is pretty sick.
FiveStar is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018, 08:12 PM   #730
Newman
Newman's Avatar
Parker Braun is really intriguing. Besides his frame, I don't really see many weaknesses. He would be an excellent fit for us so I hope the staff pushes for a commitment. I'm surprised that he only had two D1 offers a few months ago.
Newman is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018, 08:19 PM   #731
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Illini will bring in 2018 forward Parker Braun for a visit next week. 6-foot-9 forward with athleticism, length & skill. Coming off OVs to LSU & Ole Miss.

https://247sports.com/college/illino...raun-118185901
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018, 08:23 PM   #732
StateFarmCenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Illini will bring in 2018 forward Parker Braun for a visit next week. 6-foot-9 forward with athleticism, length & skill. Coming off OVs to LSU & Ole Miss.

https://247sports.com/college/illino...raun-118185901
Nice
StateFarmCenter is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018, 08:36 PM   #733
Sizzler22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Illini will bring in 2018 forward Parker Braun for a visit next week. 6-foot-9 forward with athleticism, length & skill. Coming off OVs to LSU & Ole Miss.

https://247sports.com/college/illino...raun-118185901
Yes please, love it, love this staff
Sizzler22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018, 09:12 PM   #734
sacraig
Mad Scientist
sacraig's Avatar
Location: Arizona, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateFarmCenter View Post
We dont get official visits back until August. Expect these posts until then
And expect gif responses in kind. We literally have no idea how much it will or won't hurt us, and there is absolutely nothing we or the staff can do about it at this point. Might as well just ride it out and see where this train goes.
sacraig is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018, 09:13 PM   #735
CAHALL15
Location: Central Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
Parker Braun is really intriguing. Besides his frame, I don't really see many weaknesses. He would be an excellent fit for us so I hope the staff pushes for a commitment. I'm surprised that he only had two D1 offers a few months ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastillini View Post
We’ve offered a 2018 6-8 PF From Kansas. Moving on?
The good news is that Fletch can help this guy gain some size and strength, but realistically, he’s probably 2 years away from being able to bang in the B1G. Having said that, he has some mamouth arms, can jump, is mobile, shot 43% from 3 and 78% from the field overall.

Also, I wonder if BU has any connections with this kid since they are both from Kansas?

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8791677...81ca0d4c6eb89d
CAHALL15 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018, 09:25 PM   #736
FC Illiniman
FC Illiniman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Illini will bring in 2018 forward Parker Braun for a visit next week. 6-foot-9 forward with athleticism, length & skill. Coming off OVs to LSU & Ole Miss.

https://247sports.com/college/illino...raun-118185901
Make an offer get a visit, than good. Another big is what we need. His brother is player too, class 2019? Timing for this staff filling needs not holding for wants. All good!
FC Illiniman is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018, 09:54 PM   #737
Illinibatt
Plays like Joakim Noah
Illinibatt is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018, 10:11 PM   #738
rtbritt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Illini will bring in 2018 forward Parker Braun for a visit next week. 6-foot-9 forward with athleticism, length & skill. Coming off OVs to LSU & Ole Miss.

https://247sports.com/college/illino...raun-118185901
Looks like he loves to dunk. We need more guys that love to and can dunk everything. Nice highlight video. Good looking shot, too.
rtbritt is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018, 10:33 PM   #739
Desert Illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateFarmCenter View Post
Nice
You owe me a nickel.
Desert Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018, 10:48 PM   #740
coryfor3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Illini will bring in 2018 forward Parker Braun for a visit next week. 6-foot-9 forward with athleticism, length & skill. Coming off OVs to LSU & Ole Miss.

https://247sports.com/college/illino...raun-118185901
I assume that means the Okoro ship sailed or he isn’t reclassifying.
Braun could add some braun (I know..obvious) but I like the athleticism and aggression on the court. Jump shot takes some time to set up..not the quickest shot.
coryfor3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018, 10:59 PM   #741
Johnny Lawrence
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Illiniman View Post
But now Okoro is saying he may not reclassify, think best option for FO is wait and see. In the mean time we best be checking other avenues for a big. The OV issue has a lot to do with 5 failed recruits in fall, and the fact that somebody should make sure we know who are recruiting, so this doesn't happen again. I'm sure we knew how many we had left, maybe it wasn't a concern, but having a spare tire is always good.
5th year grad seems logical, where he comes from, who knows. Hines not available yet, but could be soon. Maybe we go for a 2018 guy, time to wait again, grab a few crystals balls , there good entertainment.
I'd say the use of all of our official visits had everything to do with having eight scholarships to fill but that's none of my business (kermit the frog sipping tea meme).
Johnny Lawrence is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018, 11:30 PM   #742
Desert Illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Lawrence View Post
I'd say the use of all of our official visits had everything to do with having eight scholarships to fill but that's none of my business (kermit the frog sipping tea meme).
Correct. Some folks just can't seem to grasp the enormity of what has transpired since the end of the Bball season. It's not a normal happenstance to have to replace 8 of 13 of your scholarships in one year. Sure it's doable, but with all quality players? I think we have done that so far. IMO the staff is doing a fantastic job of dealing with everything. It's not like these guys don't know where they stand with their schollies every single step of the way. It's not as if the OV's where we didn't get a commitment were wasted on kids who have no business playing at this level of D1 basketball.

I'd like to see FC and Statefarm point out the OV's they feel were wastes. You can use the hindsight excuse all you want but at those points in time our staff felt we had a legit shot. Who are we (they) to argue otherwise?
Desert Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018, 01:18 AM   #743
LongLiveTheChief7
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniDent View Post
Pretty sure we get them back in August
Ok since i seem to be beating the proverbial "dead horse" here... Can someone please explain to me how this works? Do we get all 20 plus official visits back in August, as in they renew for another 2 year span? Or are they just recycling from past visit to visit date from 2 years ago??

Sorry if German
LongLiveTheChief7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018, 01:49 AM   #744
Desert Illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveTheChief7 View Post
Ok since i seem to be beating the proverbial "dead horse" here... Can someone please explain to me how this works? Do we get all 20 plus official visits back in August, as in they renew for another 2 year span? Or are they just recycling from past visit to visit date from 2 years ago??

Sorry if German
I have no idea. But common sense tells me that we get 10 (assuming the 20 every 2 years is a thing) new ones each recruiting year. So if we use 12 one year, we have 8 left. when the next cycle starts we get 10 so therefore we have 18 available the next 2 years.. and on and on..... I feel like they allow schools a 2 year cycle in order to account for the inconsistencies in recruiting/transfers/etc....

Someone also found info stating that exceptions can be made for new staffs. Whether BU has done that or not, no one seems to know.....

Last edited by Desert Illini; May 13, 2018 at 01:52 AM.
Desert Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018, 02:53 AM   #745
JJB
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Illini View Post
I have no idea. But common sense tells me that we get 10 (assuming the 20 every 2 years is a thing) new ones each recruiting year. So if we use 12 one year, we have 8 left. when the next cycle starts we get 10 so therefore we have 18 available the next 2 years.. and on and on..... I feel like they allow schools a 2 year cycle in order to account for the inconsistencies in recruiting/transfers/etc....

Someone also found info stating that exceptions can be made for new staffs. Whether BU has done that or not, no one seems to know.....
See: https://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Foru...83#post1392683

I was off on Amadou Sou, he never visited. But Francesco Badocchi did in April 2017. We can have one visit beginning August 19-ish and then 5 more in September.
JJB is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018, 05:18 AM   #746
Seagee
Seagee's Avatar
Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioKittner View Post
I'd be upset if they didn't run out unless our recruiting was consensus top in conference level.



This will not effect us at all and as has been stated by Okoro himself, it has no effect on his recruitment.



I'm a little surprised that there is any throwing up of arms over this?


The problem is that Okoro himself directly states in the article how much more he got out of taking an OV to Purdue, while pointedly mentioning that the Illini “don’t have an official visit left” :

“The difference with an official was that I got a chance to play with the guys," Okoro said. "That's one thing I really enjoy and appreciate because getting a chance to play with the guys you see how you can fit with the team. You get to see how the point guards play and the relationship you can have with them and if it is a team you adjust to.”

It will just be a shame if we lose out that we never got the chance to show him all those same things Purdue and the Ducks did.

I don’t blame the staff AT ALL given the holes they had to fill. But with all Okoro’s gushing over his other OV’s, it’s hard to believe his claim that our not being able to host him for an OV in Champaign will have “no effect on his recruitment”—unless, of course, he commits to the beloved regardless. :-).

Time will tell...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Seagee; May 13, 2018 at 05:25 AM.
Seagee is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018, 05:34 AM   #747
VAIllini35
OFL Supplier, BU's Brylcreem
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
Parker Braun is really intriguing. Besides his frame, I don't really see many weaknesses. He would be an excellent fit for us so I hope the staff pushes for a commitment. I'm surprised that he only had two D1 offers a few months ago.
Clearly you weren't looking at the hair. Can we all, as a society come together to ban the man-bun? Ok - so maybe its a man-tail - but it has the potential to get to a bun.
VAIllini35 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018, 06:01 AM   #748
Illini B-Ball Fan
Illini B-Ball Fan's Avatar
Location: Racine WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAIllini35 View Post
Clearly you weren't looking at the hair. Can we all, as a society come together to ban the man-bun? Ok - so maybe its a man-tail - but it has the potential to get to a bun.
Just put some Brylcreem on it and make it into a ducktail. If the guy can play some defense, offense, and fit into BU's system, bring him on.

__________________
Illini game plan - It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast.
Illini B-Ball Fan is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018, 06:37 AM   #749
WhiteRhino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagee View Post
The problem is that Okoro himself directly states in the article how much more he got out of taking an OV to Purdue, while pointedly mentioning that the Illini “don’t have an official visit left” :

“The difference with an official was that I got a chance to play with the guys," Okoro said. "That's one thing I really enjoy and appreciate because getting a chance to play with the guys you see how you can fit with the team. You get to see how the point guards play and the relationship you can have with them and if it is a team you adjust to.”

It will just be a shame if we lose out that we never got the chance to show him all those same things Purdue and the Ducks did.

I don’t blame the staff AT ALL given the holes they had to fill. But with all Okoro’s gushing over his other OV’s, it’s hard to believe his claim that our not being able to host him for an OV in Champaign will have “no effect on his recruitment”—unless, of course, he commits to the beloved regardless. :-).

Time will tell...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If playing with the guys were really the issue, that can be very easily resolved.

When I was at EIU back in the 80's, the Illinois players used to come to Charleston and play with the Eastern guys fairly often. It was not uncommon to see T.J. Wheeler playing with Jay Taylor on the campus courts.

With B/N being only an hour drive away, the Illini players could simply drive there on their own and play with Okoro for a couple hours. It would be super convenient for Okoro.
WhiteRhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018, 06:56 AM   #750
FC Illiniman
FC Illiniman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Illini View Post
I have no idea. But common sense tells me that we get 10 (assuming the 20 every 2 years is a thing) new ones each recruiting year. So if we use 12 one year, we have 8 left. when the next cycle starts we get 10 so therefore we have 18 available the next 2 years.. and on and on..... I feel like they allow schools a 2 year cycle in order to account for the inconsistencies in recruiting/transfers/etc....

Someone also found info stating that exceptions can be made for new staffs. Whether BU has done that or not, no one seems to know.....
I'm glad we used our OV , we gained many commits , that's awesome. The ones that didn't commit or were not committable offers might be the ones that leave us short. The staff did a fine job using them all, but we still have residual effects from Groce era lingering. This situation won't happen much again I would hope, 8 slots are alot to fill. Having that said, ATM, 2 OV available now would be great, water under the bridge. I trust what BU and staff have and are doing. Braun coming to visit is great, hope he enjoys and we get a commit. Okoro situation is what it is. Love to have him commit, he doesn't, we made our effort. Like the idea of having our guys going to Normal and play a little pick up ball. Think we could get Luther to get this paid for and get it together?
FC Illiniman is offline Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools

Forum Jump