Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May-June 2018)

Closed Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 11:08 AM   #626
SergioKittner
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHideYer View Post
I'm a little more hopeful after the Rivals article. Silly, but I'm running with that he's working just a bit to make us sound like the #3 choice. So he can knock our socks off when he announces.

I gotta lay off the orange coffee this morning.
The article seemed to clarify nothing which is good in our case. I don't think anyone really knows other than Oregon's staff has a good feeling. Hoping for a JCL where he commits to Illini with no one really knowing that's where he was leaning the whole time. Schmidt basically quadrupled down this morning saying if Aunt and Uncle are making the decision, he's going to Illinois.
Old May 12, 2018, 11:45 AM   #627
coryfor3
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyIdub View Post
Why is that confusing? Just honest. Clean program with a good coach, great education, gets guys to the league, constantly competitive and playing in high profile games, all kinds of connections with alums...Look, I’m an Illini but not everyone is and if I were a top basketball talent that could go anywhere, Michigan would be right there in my top 5.

I’d probably go Illinois (though I honestly can’t say that personality-wise Underwood seems like he’s be my kind of guy. That’s just me picturing myself as a recruit choosing); Michigan; Northwestern; Butler; Florida or Arizona State

Last edited by coryfor3; May 12, 2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:30 PM   #628
ILLcoach
ILLcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by robjilla View Post
So....Do we have a plan B? or is plan B a 5th year transfer and focus on a 2019 big???
Old May 12, 2018, 12:34 PM   #629
rtbritt
Quote:
Originally Posted by coryfor3 View Post
Why is that confusing? Just honest. Clean program with a good coach, great education, gets guys to the league, constantly competitive and playing in high profile games, all kinds of connections with alums...Look, Im an Illini but not everyone is and if I were a top basketball talent that could go anywhere, Michigan would be right there in my top 5.

Id probably go Illinois (though I honestly cant say that personality-wise Underwood seems like hes be my kind of guy. Thats just me picturing myself as a recruit choosing); Michigan; Northwestern; Butler; Florida or Arizona State
Interesting. You'd have NW?! As an Illini guy myself, I definitely wouldn't consider NW. No Indiana. No Iowa. Maybe some other B1G schools, though (especially if Illinois wasn't an option.)
Old May 12, 2018, 12:37 PM   #630
skyIdub
Winged Warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by coryfor3 View Post
Why is that confusing? .....

Because Muck Fichigan.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:56 PM   #631
BRucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyIdub View Post
What does it say about me that I keep laughing at this pic?
Old May 12, 2018, 01:22 PM   #632
coryfor3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbritt View Post
Interesting. You'd have NW?! As an Illini guy myself, I definitely wouldn't consider NW. No Indiana. No Iowa. Maybe some other B1G schools, though (especially if Illinois wasn't an option.)
I know NU is a suspect choice for an Illini but thinking of it completely emotionally unattached, as a player I could go somewhere with a good chance to play, get a great degree, and maybe be a difference maker for a program and leave a legacy there. Plus if coaching or NBA might be in the future, or is an interest, I would attach myself to the Collins/K/Duke/NBA web of connections and influence. Also not a bad thing for any career post grad.
Old May 12, 2018, 01:35 PM   #633
LongLiveTheChief7
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateFarmCenter View Post
We knew that awhile ago. Absolutely inexcusable for the staff to run out for months. Or at all really.
Seriously! This is a much bigger hit to our program in the longrun than losing Okoro
Old May 12, 2018, 01:39 PM   #634
SergioKittner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveTheChief7 View Post
Seriously! This is a much bigger hit to our program in the longrun than losing Okoro
I'd be upset if they didn't run out unless our recruiting was consensus top in conference level.

This will not effect us at all and as has been stated by Okoro himself, it has no effect on his recruitment.

I'm a little surprised that there is any throwing up of arms over this?
Old May 12, 2018, 02:17 PM   #635
illini62707
Not everybody lives in Normal, which makes visiting UI much easier. Now I don't know when more official visits are available, but i don't think running out is great planning. Official visits are paid for.
I'd give that kid from UMASS a call if Okoro doesn't come.
I still think Whitney is the best of the bunch for next year. That includes, Okoro. Love to have him but............. When's the last time Illinois had to guys like Jones and Whitney runnin' the floor.
Old May 12, 2018, 02:35 PM   #636
LongLiveTheChief7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioKittner View Post
I'd be upset if they didn't run out unless our recruiting was consensus top in conference level.

This will not effect us at all and as has been stated by Okoro himself, it has no effect on his recruitment.

I'm a little surprised that there is any throwing up of arms over this?
PR quotes from Okoro and others are one thing but long-term this will most certainly have an effect on our recruiting if for the majority of this upcoming season we are un-able to host new recruits on campus.
Old May 12, 2018, 02:51 PM   #637
Joel Goodson
Quote:
We knew that awhile ago. Absolutely inexcusable for the staff to run out for months. Or at all really.
Quote:
Good gracious, hyperbole much?
Old May 12, 2018, 02:57 PM   #638
IlliniDent
Quote:
PR quotes from Okoro and others are one thing but long-term this will most certainly have an effect on our recruiting if for the majority of this upcoming season we are un-able to host new recruits on campus.
Pretty sure we get them back in August
Old May 12, 2018, 03:35 PM   #639
Pekinfan
Don’t blame the staff for not having an official visit saved for Okoro. Remember he was a 2019 kid.
Also remember that they had a whole team to change and done 3or 4 years of work in just a few months.
Trust the process! Trust BU! It’s not our job that’s on the line if this doesn’t work out. We will be much better next year and very good in 19-20.
Old May 12, 2018, 03:49 PM   #640
skyIdub
Winged Warrior
Quote:
Who will have to pay his way to visit. But I guess that's not a big deal.
Old May 12, 2018, 04:28 PM   #641
FC Illiniman
Banned
Quote:
There were reports of Okoro reclassifying on this very board dating back to at least October of last year. If we were aware of the possibility, I sure hope the staff was.
But now Okoro is saying he may not reclassify, think best option for FO is wait and see. In the mean time we best be checking other avenues for a big. The OV issue has a lot to do with 5 failed recruits in fall, and the fact that somebody should make sure we know who are recruiting, so this doesn't happen again. I'm sure we knew how many we had left, maybe it wasn't a concern, but having a spare tire is always good.
5th year grad seems logical, where he comes from, who knows. Hines not available yet, but could be soon. Maybe we go for a 2018 guy, time to wait again, grab a few crystals balls , there good entertainment.
Old May 12, 2018, 04:48 PM   #642
SergioKittner
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastillini View Post
Weve offered a 2018 6-8 PF From Kansas. Moving on?
With 2 open I'm not sure if that's how we should feel or not. Definitely makes you wonder.

Parker Braun, seeing him referenced at 6'7"-10" depending on the source. His video is pretty impressive for a 2018 that's still available. 24/7 says he has Arizona, LSU, Ole Miss and Va Tech offers. If he's a legit 6'9" or better he could probably help us next year. Looks to have plus athleticism and some offensive game but is very slender.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8791677...81ca0d4c6eb89d
Old May 12, 2018, 05:01 PM   #643
FC Illiniman
Banned
Quote:
With 2 open I'm not sure if that's how we should feel or not. Definitely makes you wonder.

Parker Braun, seeing him referenced at 6'7"-10" depending on the source. His video is pretty impressive for a 2018 that's still available. 24/7 says he has Arizona, LSU, Ole Miss and Va Tech offers. If he's a legit 6'9" or better he could probably help us next year. Looks to have plus athleticism and some offensive game but is very slender.

Has a shot from perimeter, and real thin, but looks like he can ball. Now we have made a move, let's see where goes. Vids show one thing, the man bun lives. Wonder if he still has it.? Looks like a viable option, played good vs Eybl comp. All for a look, hope he could make it here on his own.
Old May 12, 2018, 05:01 PM   #644
sacraig
Mad Scientist
Quote:
Who will have to pay his way to visit. But I guess that's not a big deal.
Old May 12, 2018, 05:03 PM   #645
FiveStar
Quote:

That clip where he splits the D at the top of the key and tries to dunk on the third defender is pretty sick.
Old May 12, 2018, 08:12 PM   #646
Newman
Parker Braun is really intriguing. Besides his frame, I don't really see many weaknesses. He would be an excellent fit for us so I hope the staff pushes for a commitment. I'm surprised that he only had two D1 offers a few months ago.
Old May 12, 2018, 08:19 PM   #647
Dan
Admin
Illini will bring in 2018 forward Parker Braun for a visit next week. 6-foot-9 forward with athleticism, length & skill. Coming off OVs to LSU & Ole Miss.

https://247sports.com/college/illino...raun-118185901
Old May 12, 2018, 08:36 PM   #648
Sizzler22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Illini will bring in 2018 forward Parker Braun for a visit next week. 6-foot-9 forward with athleticism, length & skill. Coming off OVs to LSU & Ole Miss.

https://247sports.com/college/illino...raun-118185901
Yes please, love it, love this staff
Old May 12, 2018, 09:12 PM   #649
sacraig
Mad Scientist
Quote:
We dont get official visits back until August. Expect these posts until then
And expect gif responses in kind. We literally have no idea how much it will or won't hurt us, and there is absolutely nothing we or the staff can do about it at this point. Might as well just ride it out and see where this train goes.
Old May 12, 2018, 09:13 PM   #650
CAHALL15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
Parker Braun is really intriguing. Besides his frame, I don't really see many weaknesses. He would be an excellent fit for us so I hope the staff pushes for a commitment. I'm surprised that he only had two D1 offers a few months ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastillini View Post
We’ve offered a 2018 6-8 PF From Kansas. Moving on?
The good news is that Fletch can help this guy gain some size and strength, but realistically, he’s probably 2 years away from being able to bang in the B1G. Having said that, he has some mamouth arms, can jump, is mobile, shot 43% from 3 and 78% from the field overall.

Also, I wonder if BU has any connections with this kid since they are both from Kansas?

Closed Thread