Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 11:47 AM   #826
ole 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilt7 View Post
Agree. I don't understand it. We already have two projects and even Ebo is probably not as far along as we hope. And then two of these four will transfer out next year because of lack of playing time or the fact that they all will be competing against each other for playing time negating the time we have put in to develop them.
If we define "success" for a project player as developing into a potential starter for a NCAA tournament level team, I'm guessing the "success" yield on project bigs is fairly low. As such, the coaching staff's strategy seems to be to go after top big recruits (i.e. Okoro, Liddell, etc.) and if that doesn't pan out, use available scholarships for projects then see if any develop into a player we can use. Those players that don't develop, will leave / be counseled out, which means we're still going to have scholarships down the road to offer.

Assuming our coaches are pretty good judges of "projects", it seems like a decent strategy given the alternative is sitting on rides and having no bigs or pipeline of bigs. Looking specifically at next season, I'd rather take three bets on three new project bigs next year and hope one of them develops rather than pine after lost recruiting battles. If the gusy don't develop, as recent history has illustrated for us, they will leave. We'll always find room for a top player to come aboard if they want to.
ole 99 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 11:47 AM   #827
Poe's Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by foby View Post
That seems too fast to move from a Genesis to an Exodus,
Whatever man, did you see all that was accomplished in 6 days in Genesis. Underwood is behind schedule.
Poe's Law is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 12:28 PM   #828
Desert Illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini View Post
Underwood's got until the end of '19 to make noise in my book.
I got some bad news man. Ain't nobody gonna read your book! That book is strictly dollar bin material at Half Price Books!
Desert Illini is online now Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 12:34 PM   #829
PtownIllini8
Quote:
Originally Posted by coryfor3 View Post
Great post. Sometimes you wonder if people think about their posts before they submit them.
PtownIllini8 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 12:37 PM   #830
PtownIllini8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyV View Post
Doesn’t want to take blowback from Illini fans when he announces?
Would like to have gotten Okoro, but c'est la guerre. If you ain't with me, you agin me and I'm not wasting any breath on someone who's agin me.
PtownIllini8 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 01:06 PM   #831
CAHALL15
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateFarmCenter View Post
I dont know how an exception to the rule negates that argument. There is not a single better metric to evaluate a prospect than offer lists. It's trusting guys with their livelihoods and millions of dollars at stake to make these decisions. Consider other things sure but dont just handwave offer lists away because someone once did better than their offer list may appear they might.
Exceptions. And I didn’t “hand wave them away.” I actually said that there two sides to that argument, not that it was all malarkey.

I do think BU gets paid the big bucks to evaluate talent because as he said before, he doesn’t care about rankings (i.e. offer lists) nor does Huggins or Frank Martin. I could name some coaches not on that tree who obviously take a holistic approach as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuemke5 View Post
Okoro to Oregon getting ready to go down. Sorry all
9pm, y’all. https://twitter.com/dwilliams1515/st...674188289?s=21
CAHALL15 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 01:12 PM   #832
ChiefIllini
Maybe I should clarify what I meant: By 2019, I didn't mean the 18-19 season. I meant the 19-20 season. If he goes three straight years of not making the tournament, I'm hoping off the BU train. I don't think they should (or will, barring some extremely poor seasons) fire him after 19-20 if we miss post season play, but all the pressure is on in 20-21. I'm all for giving every head coach here 4 years to prove he build a quality team, and obviously more, but the circumstances will have to show positive growth.

I expect a lot of growing pains this upcoming season. Hard to not blame BU partially for current roster situation, but the vast majority isn't on him. He's done a decent job of getting talent in this class (especially considering when he got it), but I would've liked to have seen another commit or two during the early signing period. Would've showed this staffs ability to close talent early, rather than chase it late. A lot left to write in BU's tenure, but to say he's been anything but average so far would be a stretch.
ChiefIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 01:31 PM   #833
Emerson Bigguns
A project never tuns into a product, if you never start it. We have a few started on this team, but internal competition is a vital component of driving these young men to become better.
A fifth year is fine, but when was the last time we had one who made any kind of impact? I'm not sure who this impact fifth year guy is that everyone is pining for, because he doesn't seem to exist.
I just don't think this team is ready to compete for a B1G title for a couple of years. Until we do, it's going to be difficult to land big guys who are 4 & 5 stars, because EVERYONE needs them. If we bring in a number of lower rated guys now, in a couple of years we may have found enough diamonds in the rough to compete in the front court with the other teams in the conference that are landing those types of players.
Emerson Bigguns is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 01:33 PM   #834
SublimeBeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHALL15 View Post
Perfect time for the west coast folks!
SublimeBeast is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 01:49 PM   #835
sacraig
Mad Scientist
Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeBeast View Post
Perfect time for the west coast folks!
Relevant if Oregon had any hoops fans.
sacraig is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 02:14 PM   #836
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHALL15 View Post
I do think BU gets paid the big bucks to evaluate talent because as he said before, he doesn’t care about rankings...
Of course he does, they all do, and there is definitely correlations with rankings, despite some meaningless comparisons (e.g., Kane's coach dumb comments about players ranked 265 vs. 278 as proof that rankings do not matter). All coaches want highly ranked players because there is correlation with talent.

BU certainly wants the Okoro's and the Liddell's of the world, just that he can't currently get those, so he has to try to do the best he can from what he can get. There is also little evidence that BU has a better eye spotting talent that "fits" his systems as most of his own choices last year (i.e., Alstork, Smith, Vesel) did not pan out.

Too many projects? Certainly, but we have no choice. It is is simply a numbers game. We can't get the highly ranked players so the more projects we get, the higher the chances that at least some may end up good. Call it whatever you want, but the rest will likely transfer, as many players do every year in college basketball.
Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 02:24 PM   #837
illini62707
Underwood, got two top 100's and a top 150 recruit. A 3 star named Kane who i think is going to be a good player. Not bad at all.
illini62707 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 02:37 PM   #838
sacraig
Mad Scientist
Yeah, I am honestly cautiously optimistic about his recruiting given the dumpster fire of a program he has to sell.
sacraig is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 02:41 PM   #839
tts22
Perhaps Underwood did everything he could do to get Okoro to stay here, but do you really blame a kid for getting out of the area - especially going to Oregon with their facilities and being spoiled rotten by Nike?

Underwood doing a good job. Players he has brought in are bigger and more talented than ones who have left. I'm sure they are much tougher physically and mentally as well. At some point in the future - he will get the Big our program needs.
tts22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 02:53 PM   #840
tts22
GolfFan1 - I hope you are right. I will give you the benefit of the doubt!
tts22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 02:53 PM   #841
Tacomallini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson Bigguns View Post
A project never tuns into a product, if you never start it. We have a few started on this team, but internal competition is a vital component of driving these young men to become better.
A fifth year is fine, but when was the last time we had one who made any kind of impact? I'm not sure who this impact fifth year guy is that everyone is pining for, because he doesn't seem to exist.
I just don't think this team is ready to compete for a B1G title for a couple of years. Until we do, it's going to be difficult to land big guys who are 4 & 5 stars, because EVERYONE needs them. If we bring in a number of lower rated guys now, in a couple of years we may have found enough diamonds in the rough to compete in the front court with the other teams in the conference that are landing those types of players.
Sam McLaurin and pre-injury Mike Thorne both played key roles on their respective Illini teams. Would be happy with any 5th year big that can put in a few minutes rather than roll the scholarships, especially as we're all expecting to be a fouling machine next year down low.

Last edited by Tacomallini; May 14, 2018 at 03:00 PM. Reason: incomplete thought!
Tacomallini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 02:58 PM   #842
ChiefIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomallini View Post
Sam McLaurin and pre-injury Mike Thorne both played key roles on their respective Illini teams.
Mike Thorne looked like the real deal. McLaurin provided exactly what this team needs next year. Getting someone like McLaurin would do this team wonders.
ChiefIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 03:10 PM   #843
Illini0114
Looks like we just offered another MIF player. 2019 Terrence Shannon Jr.

https://twitter.com/Tshan35/status/9...947418625?s=19

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Illini0114 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 03:19 PM   #844
TownieMatt
CU Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini0114 View Post

Interesting. I know he's had a couple very good weekends on the EYBL circuit, but I'm not convinced quite yet. He's long and athletic, but his skill needs a lot of refinement, especially his ball-handling and shooting.
TownieMatt is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 03:24 PM   #845
PlayAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownieMatt View Post
Interesting. I know he's had a couple very good weekends on the EYBL circuit, but I'm not convinced quite yet. He's long and athletic, but his skill needs a lot of refinement, especially his ball-handling and shooting.
Quick, explosive off bounce, aggressive, passing and vision look good, jump shot is suspect at best... but that can improve. Intangibles are there it seems and they cant be taught.
PlayAZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 03:42 PM   #846
Rap73
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfFan1 View Post
Take a deep breath guys. The Illini have a true seven footer for the first time since pre-groce era. They have the best player from Morgan Park and Mac Irvin Fire in modern times. They signed Tevian Jones and the Number 1 pg in JC. Plus two unknowns Alan Griffin and Georgi. Quite a haul for Underwoods first year on the job. He got a bonafide Center and a PG, something the prior staff couldn't get in years. If this team dosen't finish in the top half of the Big this year, I will be suprised.
I believe you hit the nail on the head. I hope they keep the scholarships for next year
Rap73 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 04:00 PM   #847
3 point girl
Quote:

I really like this kid & think he is going to be a good player- hope we get him.
3 point girl is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 04:07 PM   #848
CAHALL15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownieMatt View Post
This is a good offer. Unlike Groce, BU isn’t going to strike out on everyone. They will definitely do all they can to get Whitney, but having backup plans isn’t a bad idea when it comes to the wants and thoughts of teenagers.
CAHALL15 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 04:09 PM   #849
Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rap73 View Post
I believe you hit the nail on the head. I hope they keep the scholarships for next year
Why would Underwood keep offering bigs if he felt that we could move on and focus on 2019?
Newman is online now Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 04:47 PM   #850
FC Illiniman
Quote:

We have a lot of offers out for next year, most will be non committable. E J , and Whitney, are main targets, EJ is probably less likely of the 2. I know all just think we must have the high ranking recruits , and we have got one this year. Sending offers to MIF guys is going to happen. Hopefully we get the ones we want, BU, in the meantime will work with what we have. Having ones that fit and have potential, are much better than highly ranked ones that don't, or won't, and 5th year players that act like they want to , then come in a disrupt the whole system. These kind can lead to a disastrous outcome and have a major effect on a team and make team have a losing season.
FC Illiniman is offline Reply With Quote