Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Illinois Cornerbacks coach Steve Clinkscale headed to Cincinnati

Old Mar 4, 2013, 04:10 PM   #126
Illinnoying Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
I doubt that Clink would deliberately burn his bridges. I doubt that he said what Chiefbird15 implied, an poorly worded rumor that we are now reading 3rd-hand at best from someone with a serious ax to grind.

I agree that is probably the case. But I could also see someone making an innocent & flippant remark out of pent-up frustration after leaving a job too.
Illinnoying Orange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 04:21 PM   #127
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinnoying Orange View Post
I agree that is probably the case. But I could also see someone making an innocent & flippant remark out of pent-up frustration after leaving a job too.
You realize he didn't leave because of pent up frustration, right?
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 04:28 PM   #128
Illinnoying Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
You realize he didn't leave because of pent up frustration, right?
Of course I do. He left for a better coaching opportunity.

That does not mean that he may look back at the mess here are say something off the cuff that was never really intended to be heard outside of a private conversation. And I think it is very safe to assume that the coaches associated with last season's mess may have some lingering frustration about it.:rolleyes:
Old Mar 4, 2013, 06:20 PM   #129
quhawks12
Quote:
Of course I do. He left for a better coaching opportunity.
Also not true.

Though it is a better opportunity.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 09:12 AM   #130
Illinnoying Orange
Quote:
Also not true.

Though it is a better opportunity.
Should it be a better coaching opportunity than here? NO Is it a better coaching and career opportunity? ABSOLUTELY.

To me, winning the Big East 4 out of the past 5 years is better than being consistently in the lower half of the Big 10.

Since 2000, 3 coaches have come through Cincinnati, done quite well there, and then bettered their coaching career because of being there (going to MSU, ND and Tenn respectively).

Also as a program since 2000, Cincinnati has been much better. They have gone 102-62, won 5 conference titles, finished 2nd in their conference 3 times, had only 3 sub .500 seasons, and played in TEN bowl games (including the Orange and Sugar Bowls). By contrast, we have gone 61-95, won 1 conference championship, finished 2nd in the conference only once, had NINE sub .500 seasons, and gone to just 4 bowl games (including Sugar and Rose Bowls).

I know the big 10 is far better than C-USA or the Big Least, but I'd rather have the type of record since 2000 that Cincy can boast than be a year in and year out bottom feeder in the Big 10. At this point in time, there is no question in my opinion that Cincinnati provides Clink with a better coaching opportunity than staying here does and will serve him better in his coaching future.

That being said, I would much rather have Clink here as the DB coach here than having Banks coach them.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 09:42 AM   #131
Groundhogday
Quote:
That being said, I would much rather have Clink here as the DB coach here than having Banks coach them.
Really? Clink is a good recruiter. There isn't much evidence that he is a particularly good position coach.

Old Mar 5, 2013, 09:48 AM   #132
Illinnoying Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Really? Clink is a good recruiter. There isn't much evidence that he is a particularly good position coach.
Yes really. Also not much evidence since coming to town that Banks is particularly good at coaching or coordinating.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 09:50 AM   #133
quhawks12
Quote:
Should it be a better coaching opportunity than here? NO Is it a better coaching and career opportunity? ABSOLUTELY.

To me, winning the Big East 4 out of the past 5 years is better than being consistently in the lower half of the Big 10.

Since 2000, 3 coaches have come through Cincinnati, done quite well there, and then bettered their coaching career because of being there (going to MSU, ND and Tenn respectively).
I think you didn't understand what I said. Cincy is a MUCH better coaching and career opportunity right now. I'm with you 100%.

However, that is not the reason Clink left.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:09 AM   #134
Illinnoying Orange
Quote:
I think you didn't understand what I said. Cincy is a MUCH better coaching and career opportunity right now. I'm with you 100%.

However, that is not the reason Clink left.
My bad then. I misunderstood the reasoning obviously.