Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Coaching Carousel

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Aug 29, 2017, 03:34 PM   #1001
Illwinsagain
Location: Cary, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by NScale View Post
Name me a big time college coach who was a big time college player.
And don't say Steve Alford.
Actually, Alford is a pretty good answer. What about Kevin Ollie, UConn. Won a title, that is a good start to a resume to go along with a 12 year career in the NBA.
Illwinsagain is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2017, 04:02 PM   #1002
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
rbachhuber's Avatar
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NScale View Post
Name me a big time college coach who was a big time college player.
And don't say Steve Alford.
Steve Spurrier
rbachhuber is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2017, 05:18 PM   #1003
FeelYourPaign
FeelYourPaign's Avatar
Location: Denver
Danny Manning might turn out to be pretty good. Could be a bit early for that statement, tho.

__________________
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment. Jim Rohn
FeelYourPaign is online now Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2017, 05:24 PM   #1004
touper
Location: 'burbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaChief4ever View Post
Why the hasty exit from Illinois?
Great question. Seems to be two camps on this one. Those "in the know" that decline to share publicly and the rest of us. If those "in the know" have only rumor and speculation I respect not spreading that. If they have concrete facts, I'm curious as to why they choose not to share. This topic has been skirted around a few times over the months... just my two cents.
touper is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2017, 06:03 PM   #1005
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJILLINI View Post
I have no idea what Dee did in Champaign that caused him to leave his post. But how is it that some here are saying he will "never be back in Champaign" based on, I am assuming, whatever transgressions occurred but he is able to secure a job at a sister State of Illinois-funded institution? Seems like if it was that bad he wouldn't be able to get a job at UIC, either.

Don't get me wrong. I love Dee Brown and hope that someday he coaches the Illini -- either as an assistant or the head man. But I have to believe the staff at UIC knows the real story. As such, this whole saga seems very odd to me.
It will even get odder when he ends up with Self.
TCTORNADO is online now Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2017, 06:33 PM   #1006
jmilt7
jmilt7's Avatar
Location: Waukegan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtiny View Post
My timeline for Dee:

- Help Lead UIC back to respect - 3 years
- Assistant coach for a survived and resurgent Weber at K-State - 6 years
(culminating in Big 12 tourney win over Kansas in Year 5, and an outright championship over Kansas in Year 6)
- Land head gig at say Utah or Mississippi State, turn program around make tourney and win there - 2 years
- Come home and coach Illinois after BU's retirement. Get that NC he missed as a player (the second after Brad Underwood's first for Illinois), stay until a happy retirement and bronze statue is made, one side with him poppin' Illinois as a player, another with his clipboard as a coach.
Da#$, I'll probably be dead by then.
jmilt7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2017, 08:17 AM   #1007
OldGreg
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Kaufman View Post
Dee's departure from Champaign is still shrouded in mystery. I suspect some here may know the true reason. I only hope it was something he needed to do for himself or his family and not a disagreement or broken promise. The way I feel, he's welcome back at the time of his choosing for any position he is qualified.
So we can just get this out of the way, from what I heard and gathered, he was tending to gardens that were not his to tend to...if you catch my drift
OldGreg is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2017, 08:27 AM   #1008
ChiefIllini
I read somewhere that the reason the all time great players dont typically do well coaching is because their work ethic and team expectations are so high they either burn out or get thrown out. It makes sense if you think of what it takes to become a HOF player and you'd expect your team to do nothing less.
ChiefIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2017, 08:55 AM   #1009
Tevo
Location: Wilmette, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by NScale View Post
Name me a big time college coach who was a big time college player.
And don't say Steve Alford.
Depends on your definition of "Big Time" but Lon Kruger was two-time Big Eight player of the year, and is the only coach to ever win NCAA tournament games with 5 different teams, including Final Fours with two.
Tevo is online now Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2017, 09:33 AM   #1010
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Location: Johns Creek, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tevo View Post
Depends on your definition of "Big Time" but Lon Kruger was two-time Big Eight player of the year, and is the only coach to ever win NCAA tournament games with 5 different teams, including Final Fours with two.
Coach K was no slouch of a player at Army.
Boeheim was good enough as a player at SU to play in the ABL
Pitino is #10 all time in assists at UMass
But those 3 are old, old guard coaches


Kevin Ollie may not be "big time" yet....
Bobby Hurley
Danny Manning
Chris Mullin
Lorenzo Romar


but again, it depends on what your definition of "big time" is.

__________________
A man can get discouraged many times but he is not a failure until he begins to blame somebody else and stops trying. ~ John Burroughs
Ransom Stoddard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2017, 09:39 AM   #1011
ChazzReinhold
Mom! The Meatloaf!
ChazzReinhold's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini View Post
I read somewhere that the reason the all time great players dont typically do well coaching is because their work ethic and team expectations are so high they either burn out or get thrown out. It makes sense if you think of what it takes to become a HOF player and you'd expect your team to do nothing less.
John Wooden was a 3 time All-American
ChazzReinhold is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2017, 09:43 AM   #1012
geneseo
Not a college coach that I know of, but Jerry Sloan was a pretty good player and coach.
geneseo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2017, 09:49 AM   #1013
geneseo
How about another Jerry... Jerry West.
geneseo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:19 AM   #1014
3 point girl
Location: texas
Pat Riley
3 point girl is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:26 AM   #1015
kcib8130
kcib8130's Avatar
Location: Parts Unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
Kevin Ollie may not be "big time" yet....
Bobby Hurley
Danny Manning
Chris Mullin
Lorenzo Romar


but again, it depends on what your definition of "big time" is.
Not sure how Ollie isn't big time and the others you listed would be. Romar would be closest.
kcib8130 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:33 AM   #1016
Johnny Lawrence
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneseo View Post
Not a college coach that I know of, but Jerry Sloan was a pretty good player and coach.
Scott Skiles
Johnny Lawrence is online now Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2017, 02:44 PM   #1017
MainelyIllini
MainelyIllini's Avatar
Location: uh, Maine
Billy Donovan was pretty good at Providence.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MainelyIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2017, 02:58 PM   #1018
geneseo
Harry Combes? 4 Big Ten Titles as a coach and two as a player.
geneseo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2017, 04:09 PM   #1019
NScale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini View Post
I read somewhere that the reason the all time great players dont typically do well coaching is because their work ethic and team expectations are so high they either burn out or get thrown out. It makes sense if you think of what it takes to become a HOF player and you'd expect your team to do nothing less.
OTOH, there's the saying, "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." Many great players have no idea how it is that they can do what they do. Thus they cannot teach others how it is done. The other aspect is, an assistant coaches job especially in college is the worst job you can get. Meager pay, ridiculous hours, on the road recruiting, carrying lots of clipboards, doing things the HC's way. New wife and young kids at home. Tough life. A player's life is nothing like that.
NScale is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2017, 06:13 PM   #1020
HR217
Quote:
Originally Posted by NScale View Post
OTOH, there's the saying, "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." Many great players have no idea how it is that they can do what they do. Thus they cannot teach others how it is done. The other aspect is, an assistant coaches job especially in college is the worst job you can get. Meager pay, ridiculous hours, on the road recruiting, carrying lots of clipboards, doing things the HC's way. New wife and young kids at home. Tough life. A player's life is nothing like that.
"Those who cant teach, teach gym."
HR217 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2017, 07:08 PM   #1021
FiveStar
Location: Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HR217 View Post
"Those who cant teach, teach gym."
I can teach but I'd trade my classes to teach PE in a heartbeat.
FiveStar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2017, 08:16 PM   #1022
Illini Parent14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzReinhold View Post
John Wooden was a 3 time All-American


Not only was he a 3 time All American, John Wooden was a high school legend before he enrolled at Purdue. Most importantly for this discussion, John Wooden was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1960 which was 4 years before he won his first NCAA Championship at UCLA.
Illini Parent14 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2017, 08:29 PM   #1023
Tevo
Location: Wilmette, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini Parent14 View Post
Not only was he a 3 time All American, John Wooden was a high school legend before he enrolled at Purdue. Most importantly for this discussion, John Wooden was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1960 which was 4 years before he won his first NCAA Championship at UCLA.
Did they ever update his plaque?
Tevo is online now Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:43 AM   #1024
DaChief4ever
Location: Urbana
Quote:
Originally Posted by touper View Post
Great question. Seems to be two camps on this one. Those "in the know" that decline to share publicly and the rest of us. If those "in the know" have only rumor and speculation I respect not spreading that. If they have concrete facts, I'm curious as to why they choose not to share. This topic has been skirted around a few times over the months... just my two cents.


Good point....we always gotta do this " walk through the mud", drag out, hold on...till at long last the truth appears for the masses. If it's nothing sinister....say so.
DaChief4ever is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2017, 08:21 AM   #1025
TCTORNADO
NW hires AJ Guyton as Director of Player Develpment.
TCTORNADO is online now Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools

Forum Jump