Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

FBI College Basketball Corruption Investigation

Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:11 AM   #1401
PtownIllini8
Quote:
Originally Posted by icengineer View Post
Thank you for doing that research. I thought for sure Ptown was mistaken but I didn't feel like doing the legwork.
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that Evans asked for money to get recruits, but it didn't happen. I'll also note that the Complaint alleges that Evans defrauded his employer. So if he defrauded his employer, and Coach U is who hired him and was his boss, then by extension he defrauded Coach U as well.

Last edited by PtownIllini8; Oct 31, 2017 at 10:14 AM.
PtownIllini8 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:41 AM   #1402
Obelix
Quote:
I really don't think the FBI is interested in chasing HC's all that much. The Pitino thing seems to be collateral damage, and there may be more of them brought to bear if the evidence is impossible to ignore by the particular school. Of course the FBI used the assistants because that was their way into the Money/Agents/Shoe Co/etc... mess.
I am not sure whether that is necessarily true. The FBI does not care about cleaning up the game of basketball and just going after Money/Agents/Shoe Co and not coaches. They were asked about it in the press conference and they answered directly that it is not part of their goals (the good/future of the game), their focus is the crime and all those involved. So if they uncover involvement of coaches (including HC's) they will go after them, but have no interest in the cheating, ethics, unfair competition, or breaking NCAA rules.
Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:38 PM   #1403
PtownIllini8
Quote:
I really don't think the FBI is interested in chasing HC's all that much. The Pitino thing seems to be collateral damage, and there may be more of them brought to bear if the evidence is impossible to ignore by the particular school. Of course the FBI used the assistants because that was their way into the Money/Agents/Shoe Co/etc... mess.

I see this working the same way the Feds go about busting up the Mob. Pick the lower level guys up and charge them with serious crimes, offer immunity/pleas in exchange for dirt on the higher ups to help get convictions. Higher ups in the NCAA basketball world would be the shoe companies, agents, and money guys. Everyone else is to be used as leverage.

I think this will play out over a couple years. I don't expect to hear Underwoods name come up in any legal investigation by the FBI. Who knows what the NCAA will do with this mess, and when?
That seems like a fair post.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 01:41 PM   #1404
sbillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
I am not sure whether that is necessarily true. The FBI does not care about cleaning up the game of basketball and just going after Money/Agents/Shoe Co and not coaches. They were asked about it in the press conference and they answered directly that it is not part of their goals (the good/future of the game), their focus is the crime and all those involved. So if they uncover involvement of coaches (including HC's) they will go after them, but have no interest in the cheating, ethics, unfair competition, or breaking NCAA rules.
Agreed. The FBI (and, by reference, the DOJ) cares about getting the best chance for as many convictions as possible (or at least settlements with meaningful outcomes). Thus they'll likely pursue whoever they have evidence on and let the investigation lead them where it may. If that includes head coaches, so be it. I do agree that, given the nature of the allegations, HC's are less likely to be implicated, but that's not because the FBI doesn't care to pursue them.
sbillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2017, 02:12 AM   #1405
FeelYourPaign
Just read that the FBI has finished their investigation of Bowen and he's ok with them. Doesn't clear him for NCAA play, but a step in that direction.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...V4h?li=BBnba9I

Old Nov 3, 2017, 04:46 AM   #1406
mikedILLINI
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
Just read that the FBI has finished their investigation of Bowen and he's ok with them. Doesn't clear him for NCAA play, but a step in that direction.

so he claims to have no idea that his dad got paid 100k.....?
mikedILLINI is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2017, 09:09 AM   #1407
illiniguy24
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...rt-performance
http://es.pn/2iVXrlEhttp://www.espn..../es.pn/2iVXrlE

Oh boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
illiniguy24 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2017, 09:17 AM   #1408
Illwinsagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedILLINI View Post

I could be wrong, but wasn't that the Cam Newton defense?
Illwinsagain is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2017, 09:19 AM   #1409
Illwinsagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniguy24 View Post

That took a lot of research. Wow, I think there are a few thousand on this blog that could do a better article than that one.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 09:59 AM   #1410
wettsten
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniguy24 View Post
if just being head coach where Evans was working put BU on the non-traditional hot seat, shouldn't Frank Martin be there too since it started when Evans was at SC? quality epsn reporting right there.

Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:09 AM   #1411
illiniguy24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wettsten View Post
if just being head coach where Evans was working put BU on the non-traditional hot seat, shouldn't Frank Martin be there too since it started when Evans was at SC? quality epsn reporting right there.

Definitely an easy click article. And definitely has no substance or incriminating facts. Just hate that BU is mentioned in that category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
illiniguy24 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:41 AM   #1412
EJ33
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post

Not exactly a step in the right direction to clean up the sport.
EJ33 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:48 AM   #1413
OurMottoisOskeeWowWow
ESPN sucks. There I said it.
OurMottoisOskeeWowWow is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:43 PM   #1414
PtownIllini8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illwinsagain View Post
I could be wrong, but wasn't that the Cam Newton defense?
You are correct...crazy that this defense worked. The NCAA is so lame.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 02:14 PM   #1415
illinifan3923
Auburn is holding out two starters due to involvement with the FBI probe.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...investigation/
illinifan3923 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2017, 02:35 PM   #1416
Illwinsagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan3923 View Post

Well, I wonder what could be their response? "I didn't know my parents got paid!"
Old Nov 3, 2017, 03:03 PM   #1417
oldman
Does this explain how Pearl was able to get several commitments within a week of the time he was hired by Auburn?
oldman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2017, 04:10 PM   #1418
UIGrad03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illwinsagain View Post
Well, I wonder what could be their response? "I didn't know my parents got paid!"
I’d have to imagine that one of the primary concerns of those buying teenage players is making sure the teenage players don’t know they’ve been bought.
UIGrad03 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2017, 07:12 PM   #1419
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedILLINI View Post
I think it's more like they are more interested in those higher up the food chain than the players themselves.
gibb52 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2017, 03:34 AM   #1420
illinitiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan3923 View Post

Auburn players were linked up early by chuckp with agents (ala Evans)...not a recruiting issue for Auburn...an overly aggressive agent issue.
illinitiger is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2017, 07:11 AM   #1421
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinitiger View Post
Auburn players were linked up early by chuckp with agents (ala Evans)...not a recruiting issue for Auburn...an overly aggressive agent issue.
Blinders much?

Chuck Person worked for Auburn. If you think nobody at Auburn other than Person knew about this you are clueless.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 07:27 AM   #1422
illinitiger
Gibb52 , on "blinders"...I wasn't clear and I apologize for that. Just trying to distinguish the situation for existing players who were implicated in agent laundering...vs recruits taking money.

Bowen's in a better position to get reinstated than the 2 auburn players. agree that both programs will be on hot seat....not sure whats worse, programs feeding players to agents, or shoe companies paying 5* families to go to specified school.

Non- eligibilty is clear cut I think for the agent relationship for existing players,... a little less clear for Bowens situation... if dad got bonus from shoe company to direct his kid to Louisville.

Last edited by illinitiger; Nov 4, 2017 at 07:31 AM.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 07:43 AM   #1423
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinitiger View Post
Gibb52 , on "blinders"...I wasn't clear and I apologize for that. Just trying to distinguish the situation for existing players who were implicated in agent laundering...vs recruits taking money.

Bowen's in a better position to get reinstated than the 2 auburn players. agree that both programs will be on hot seat....not sure whats worse, programs feeding players to agents, or shoe companies paying 5* families to go to specified school.

Non- eligibilty is clear cut I think for the agent relationship for existing players,... a little less clear for Bowens situation... if dad got bonus from shoe company to direct his kid to Louisville.
It's all bad, and I apologize for being too harsh. It would be just like the NCAA to reinstate Bowen because "he didn't know". He knew. They all know.

Every coach at every school who deals with top ranked player recruitment knows. They just say they don't. K knows, Roy knows, Izzo knows, Cal knows, Self knows and 100 other D1 coaches know.

Some choose to stay involved when the going gets dirty, some walk away, but they all know.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 08:00 AM   #1424
illinitiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibb52 View Post
It's all bad, and I apologize for being too harsh. It would be just like the NCAA to reinstate Bowen because "he didn't know". He knew. They all know.

Every coach at every school who deals with top ranked player recruitment knows. They just say they don't. K knows, Roy knows, Izzo knows, Cal knows, Self knows and 100 other D1 coaches know.

Some choose to stay involved when the going gets dirty, some walk away, but they all know.
agree... they (elite coaches) know.

I still think the partial answer is for NBA to allow HS draft picks like baseball, and perhaps require them to stay in G league until they are 19 or 20. ...those players looking for immediate payday could get it.

Interesting article from June on NBA possibly raising the age to 20...which I think would further stimulate the greed and corrupt culture surrounding college BB.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/0...-and-done.html
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:53 PM   #1425
Serious Late
Location: Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque via Chicago via Champaign via Peoria
Josh Pastner, Georgia Tech accused of underplaying violations by jilted friend

I found this interesting as it pertains to fallout of the FBI investigation:

Quote:
Bell also said the FBI scandal that has engulfed multiple schools, including his alma mater (Arizona), made him realize he was complicit in something with which he is no longer comfortable.