Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Closed Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 04:52 PM   #3051
rockillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilt7 View Post
I have been reading, or rather, skimming articles that indicate that with Bridges coming back to MSU, they are a final four team next year. Granted, some of these articles are from MSU press (or whatever) but here's an example of one that is not, if you need proof.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...our-contender/

So my question is, if you were Mark Smith, wouldn't you want to go to a school whose basketball team has a very, very good shot at a Final Four or even National Championship next year? I will now entertain rebuttals.
I might be in the minority, but I'm not convinced they will be a "final four caliber" team next year. I'm not even confident they will win the Big 10.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 05:16 PM   #3052
Sizzler22
I'm just pumped about Tejon Lucas next year, what a big recruit he was, he's gonna be a star in my opinion. Now back to discussing the new recruits...
Old Apr 18, 2017, 05:16 PM   #3053
kuhl84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combo View Post
If we have to choose (and that may very well be the case), I go for Smith every day of the week. I think he and Frazier are our starting backcourt by the end of the season.
I would expect to see TJL, TF, and Smith on the court at the same time for extended periods of time.

They can definitely all play together in this offense. BU wants to play fast, and they could definitely play with pace.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 05:20 PM   #3054
DragonIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhl84 View Post
I would expect to see TJL, TF, and Smith on the court at the same time for extended periods of time.

They can definitely all play together in this offense. BU wants to play fast, and they could definitely play with pace.
Throw Kipper and Leron in there and call it day.

What we'd lack in height we would more than account for with speed, playmaking, athleticism, and tenacity on the boards.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 05:27 PM   #3055
Johnny Lawrence
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzReinhold View Post
Do you have a problem with that Mr. Lawrence?
No sensei! Or should I call you Mr. Reinhold due to your Hall of Fame status?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 05:34 PM   #3056
nwebb1
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluma View Post
Surprised to hear this, but Jeremy Werner was saying that the Smith family were the one's that reached out to MSU in the first place. I've followed this recruitment pretty closely and didn't know it was the Smith's that made the initial contact. Also, Werner seemed pretty confident that Kentucky is out of the picture and that it is definitely down to MSU and Illinois.
Along those same lines, its going around the Duke circles that the Smith family reached out once Kennard declared.

Who knows at this point, but my Duke buddies are pretty confident at this point.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 05:42 PM   #3057
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwebb1 View Post
Along those same lines, its going around the Duke circles that the Smith family reached out once Kennard declared.

Who knows at this point, but my Duke buddies are pretty confident at this point.
Ewww ! You have Dook buddies? Plural?
I'm trying to quit, lol
Old Apr 18, 2017, 05:44 PM   #3058
nwebb1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
Ewww ! You have Dook buddies? Plural?
I'm trying to quit, lol
Yeah it's painful, but great guys other than that haha
Old Apr 18, 2017, 06:02 PM   #3059
KansasIllinifan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noday View Post
So I see many fans on this board don't really want Moore for the Illini. He must be tainted because he is from Chicago. Moore, Coleman-Lands and Smith could all start as PG's like Brown, Wlliams and Head. Moore has proven himself in the Pac as a freshman scorer and leader.
I'm going to assume you meant TJL instead of JCL.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 06:04 PM   #3060
RichBradIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockillini View Post
I might be in the minority, but I'm not convinced they will be a "final four caliber" team next year. I'm not even confident they will win the Big 10.
Wow. If not MSU, then who?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 06:25 PM   #3061
PlayAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitman2020 View Post
Grayson Allen staying @ Duke. Not that I had any concern with Duke.
Finally we have an answer, I was trippin out worried about the illegimate child staying or going....
Old Apr 18, 2017, 06:33 PM   #3062
Greensboro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
Borne out of Jeff's issues with Groce perhaps?

I dunno, it would stink bigly to have him raining in threes for Northwestern for four years.
It would also stink if his older brother used his 5th yr to transfer to play with little brother at any other B1G school.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 06:35 PM   #3063
skyIdub
Getting to East Lansing for games is gonna be a real headache for the Smith family. I like our chances.

NM

Last edited by skyIdub; Apr 18, 2017 at 06:35 PM. Reason: silliness
Old Apr 18, 2017, 06:36 PM   #3064
kuhl84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensboro View Post
It would also stink if his older brother used his 5th yr to transfer to play with little brother at any other B1G school.

I really doubt that will happen. BU's offense is made for Finke. He is going to be dominant this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Apr 18, 2017, 06:41 PM   #3065
miketherevelator
Now I would be surprised if Duke comes out tomorrow.

Gary Parrish‏Verified account @GaryParrishCBS
No announcement is imminent. But Frank Jackson is planning to return to Duke for his sophomore season, a source told @CBSSports.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 06:43 PM   #3066
ILHoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
Well that's less bad, but I'd still love to pair him with his brother. Bombs away.
Tim Finke is a really good player that does a lot of the little things we wish our guys did. High IQ kid that knows how to play and doesn't need to dominate the ball to put his stamp on the game. We would be lucky to get him.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 07:01 PM   #3067
Adnarel
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyIdub View Post
Getting to East Lansing for games is gonna be a real headache for the Smith family. I like our chances.

NM

Old Apr 18, 2017, 07:16 PM   #3068
miketherevelator
Jason Thompson‏ @jthompson247 30m30 minutes ago
Illinois Head Coach Brad Underwood & Ast Jamall Walker have an in-home visit with 2018 4* Tim Finke tomorrow night.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 07:29 PM   #3069
Trakis
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
Illinois Head Coach Brad Underwood & Ast Jamall Walker have an in-home visit with 2018 4* Tim Finke tomorrow night.
Dope. Finke needs to be a total lock for that '18 class.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 07:36 PM   #3070
Dvick217
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
I wonder if Mike will be there.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 08:49 PM   #3071
Greensboro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhl84 View Post
I really doubt that will happen. BU's offense is made for Finke. He is going to be dominant this year.
I'm not expecting Mike to leave, but I'm not expecting him to be dominant next year either. But we have a coaching change & along with our shortage of Bigs, it is also worth considering that both Finke & Black could leave after next year.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 08:50 PM   #3072
1m4tr
Cliffmas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwebb1 View Post
Yeah it's painful, but great guys other than that haha
How would dook even manage to visit Mark Smith tomorrow presumably after school who they don't even know when they also have an 8 pm in home with Kevin Knox, one of their highest profile recruits that they've spent a lot of time on already. Even for dook, they aren't gonna just walk in on this recruitment and take him away.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:06 PM   #3073
sie0174
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaxflyer View Post
I know it's a little off topic but this thread is the most active. I was looking at some other sites and they refer to their Nova Nation (Villanova) and Big Blue Nation (Kentucky), lame on many levels. How did "Illini Nation come about, which IMO is the coolest sounding and makes the most sense?
I'm pretty sure it started with Red Sox Nation and lots of teams/schools have copied it since then. It seems to have become most prominent during the Red Sox 2004 World Series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Sox_Nation
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:23 PM   #3074
Johnny Lawrence
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1m4tr View Post
How would dook even manage to visit Mark Smith tomorrow presumably after school who they don't even know when they also have an 8 pm in home with Kevin Knox, one of their highest profile recruits that they've spent a lot of time on already. Even for dook, they aren't gonna just walk in on this recruitment and take him away.
I'm pretty sure most high schools would allow seniors to skip to classes to meet meet with prominent members of prospective colleges.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:43 AM   #3075
icengineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by whovous View Post
Knowing the luck of the Illini, taking a team member on a home visit has just gotta be a recruiting violation.
Perhaps he needs to go home and do some laundry...

Last edited by icengineer; Apr 19, 2017 at 12:52 AM.
Closed Thread