Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

2017 Basketball Transfer Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 03:18 PM   #551
ILLGOLF11
Quote:
Originally Posted by greger View Post
Hopefully we don't misplay this and end up with neither.....something tells me it might.
If we don't land either, it will not be because we "misplayed" it. This continued idea on here of scaring off another player or offending them because we are recruiting another player is ridiculous. Most players at their level are very confident in their ability.

They either believe they will play over the other guy or they will play on the court at the same time. And in today's game, you can put 3 guards out there together and let them go no matter if it says they're a PG, CG, SG (assuming of course you have at least one PG, which has been a problem for us). I can guarantee you that Smith and Moore have looked at our current guards and don't see one guy that they think is better than them. That's how they think, and in this case they're probably correct.

Also, if this was such a big deal, why would Smith be so high on MSU, who has a top 40 PG in Winston who looks to be a 4 year player, in addition to other young guards like Langford and McQuaid? Players can coexist. Moore will not be the reason we lose Smith.
ILLGOLF11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 03:33 PM   #552
IlliniRock
Quote:
Originally Posted by greger View Post
Hopefully we don't misplay this and end up with neither.....something tells me it might.
Why is this even a thing? Why would Smith feel threatened by Moore? Smith can play 1-3 (even a 4 in a small lineup), and he'd have a season under his belt by the time Moore is eligible. So...he feels some kinda way about Moore but is considering Kentucky and MSU both having burger boys?
If both commit we'd be deep with talented guards (I know Captain Obvious)

Why no Carlton Bragg updates? A low key commit somewhere else already?
IlliniRock is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 04:07 PM   #553
ballislife17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPillini View Post

Did we offer him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Apr 19, 2017, 04:11 PM   #554
jcgoldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
There's an incredibly simple solve for that.
Vodka? 👍
jcgoldie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 04:18 PM   #555
Dan
Admin
Arizona State, Cincinnati, Illinois, NC State and Xavier are the final five for Kansas transfer Carlton Bragg, source tells D1Vision.
https://twitter.com/BLUEChip_Miller/...19724089274368
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 04:39 PM   #556
ballislife17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Arizona State, Cincinnati, Illinois, NC State and Xavier are the final five for Kansas transfer Carlton Bragg, source tells D1Vision.

Great news!

Old Apr 19, 2017, 04:42 PM   #557
TheFameProtector
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Man, besides the two schools in Cincy this list seems all over the map/spectrum. Hoping that bodes well since we were the only one on his previous final list.
TheFameProtector is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 05:29 PM   #558
IlliniBrave75
3h
Jeff Borzello‏ @jeffborzello
UMass freshmen DeJon Jarreau and Brison Gresham are transferring. Jarreau was a former ESPN 100 prospect.
IlliniBrave75 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 05:45 PM   #559
Drunk Big Bertha Driver
Where did Bragg play HS ball? I lost track of Charlie Moore. He was from Morgan Park,right? How many years of eligibility will he have and what's our chances getting either one?
Drunk Big Bertha Driver is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 05:55 PM   #560
icengineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Big Bertha Driver View Post
Where did Bragg play HS ball? I lost track of Charlie Moore. He was from Morgan Park,right? How many years of eligibility will he have and what's our chances getting either one?
Via Angela-St Joseph Cleveland, Ohio HS. Moore will sit one year and have three years of eligibility left (5 to play 4).

Last edited by icengineer; Apr 19, 2017 at 05:59 PM.
icengineer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 05:55 PM   #561
illiniknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Big Bertha Driver View Post
Bragg is from Ohio. Moore played at Morgan Park. Moore will sit out a year and have 3 years left.
illiniknight is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 06:58 PM   #562
kuhl84
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT View Post
Bragg's skill and range suits BU's system well. I would say he's an upgrade from MF. Make it happen BU!

Really play different positions in BU offense. MF is mostly a 5...plus passer from high post, Bragg is a 4.

kuhl84 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 07:18 PM   #563
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by whovous View Post
when so many of them are likely to be no more than eighteen years old?
Frazier, Da'Monte and maybe one more?

13 scholarships is too many. If you have 13 guys eligible to play, start the transfer rumors.
Second and Chalmers is online now Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 07:22 PM   #564
miketherevelator
Jerry Meyer‏ @jerrymeyer247 8m8 minutes ago
Memphis transfer Markel Crawford has committed to Ole Miss.
miketherevelator is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 07:22 PM   #565
illiniknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
Frazier, Da'Monte and maybe one more?

13 scholarships is too many. If you have 13 guys eligible to play, start the transfer rumors.
This is actually a place where having transfers could help you. You can have some players for practice and the future but you don't have to allocate practice time. For a matter of course you rarely have 13 eligible scholarship players on a team. When you do it is followed by transfers.
illiniknight is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 08:26 PM   #566
Ubermensch
Founder, Kipper Fan Club
Quote:
There is a downside to taking both Bragg and Moore. Neither one can play next year.

Can we afford to have a maximum of eleven scholarship players, when so many of them are likely to be no more than eighteen years old?
The likelihood of finding freshmen who can actually make an impact next year seems pretty low. Transfers who can help and don't have to sit a year are hard to find and in high demand, as we're seeing with the Pitt fella.

Guys from major conferences who've shown they can play and will get a year to work on skills and learn a new system? Yep. You take guys like Moore and Bragg all day and figure it out as you go. Get Mark Smith if you can. Get the Pitt kid, too. But I don't see how Underwood can afford to pass on guys like this who are known commodities and can help you win in 2 years. You don't want to build your program around that strategy, but it makes as much sense now as it ever will. If we get those guys we should be thrilled. That's legit talent.
Ubermensch is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 09:56 PM   #567
foby
Quote:
Frazier, DaMonte, and who knows how many more? We have six 'ships to fill, and two are accounted for. Take away two for CM & CB spending a year in the weight room, give the other two to MS and Francesco Badabing, and you have an awfully unbalanced and immature team next year.

Or do we write off next year? It was never likely to be a year for the ages.
LB, TJL, JCL DJW and AJ were all Top 100 or close to it.
KN and MF are skilled players.
LB and MF will be in their 4th years.
We have a nice blend of experience and talent even with the scenario you give. If BU is the coach most think he is, then next season won't be a write off.
foby is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:56 PM   #568
davesworld
How about a scenerio where we (maybe if we are extremely lucky) get MS to sign up. Get CM and Bruninga and then Tilmon decides he wants to play with 2 I L L McDAA's and chooses us anyway. I wouldn't mind a situation where we could somehow get those 4 and CB but i know someone would have to transfer out. I meant 2 I L L Mr Basketballs

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Dan; Apr 20, 2017 at 07:40 AM.
davesworld is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:09 AM   #569
icengineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesworld View Post
How about a scenerio where we (maybe if we are extremely lucky) get MS to sign up. Get CM and Bruninga and then Tilmon decides he wants to play with 2 I L L McDAA's and chooses us anyway. I wouldn't mind a situation where we could somehow get those 4 and CB but i know someone would have to transfer out

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Who are these McDAA's you are referring to? Bragg I know, who is the second?
icengineer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 05:40 AM   #570
thunderwear
Does anyone else notice the irony of us potentially lansing Bragg and Moore
thunderwear is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 06:40 AM   #571
Kathy
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderwear View Post
irony how? (You can tell I'm not seeing it)
Kathy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 07:06 AM   #572
IlliniTargetAcquired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
irony how? (You can tell I'm not seeing it)
We missed out on them with the last regime, and they could help get this one off to a good start.
IlliniTargetAcquired is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 08:54 AM   #573
ChiefIllini
Quote:
It'll be ironic if this new coach and his powerhouse recruiters end up in the same boat as Groce and miss out on everyone...
ChiefIllini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:54 AM   #574
thunderwear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini View Post
It'll be ironic if this new coach and his powerhouse recruiters end up in the same boat as Groce and miss out on everyone...
bahahahahah
thunderwear is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:28 PM   #575
7yearillini
Quote:
Does anyone else notice the irony
I do not think it means what you think it means
7yearillini is offline Reply With Quote