Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Old May 13, 2017, 05:04 PM   #926
miketherevelator
Bagley took an elbow to the chops and left and hasn't been back in. MS ahead 37-32 at half, Finke hit a long 3 just before the buzzer. Fire down 36-35 at half.
miketherevelator is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017, 05:16 PM   #927
miketherevelator
whoa - Mike Irvin is so irate at the lack of boxing out by his 'bigs' the refs are laughing during the timeout and you can hear Mike over the background noise. Fire up by 2, THT back on the floor.
MS up by 9. Bagley is back, but really, besides him, it's a pretty lackluster team and he can't dunk every time down the floor.
Old May 13, 2017, 05:25 PM   #928
miketherevelator
or can he? No, MS still leads by 10 midway through 2nd half.
Corey Evans‏ @coreyevans_10 35m35 minutes ago
Marvin Bagley has been tremendous this evening. Heard that before? Unbelievable traffic rebounder & finisher. As good as it gets in HS ball

But MS has become Bazley's team instead of Finke's. Although Finke has been better tonight from the parts I've watched.
Corey Evans‏ @coreyevans_10 26m26 minutes ago
Has been another productive weekend for Darius Bazley. After reopening recruitment, expect for name to be talked about greatly in wks ahead
Old May 13, 2017, 05:33 PM   #929
miketherevelator
Ayo living at the line. Rest of team totally out of rhythm, missing everything from open layups to short jumpers. Fire down by 2 with 5 to go.
Old May 13, 2017, 05:43 PM   #930
miketherevelator
D1 Circuit‏ @D1Circuit
CIA Bounce (CAN) F Ignas Brazdeikis (@_iggy_7): 26 PTS, 10 REB, 2 AST vs Stars @BounceTTCaau http://www.d1circuit.com/game/show/17622597 … myreon jones
Old May 13, 2017, 06:01 PM   #931
miketherevelator
And the Fire lose by 2.
Derek Piper‏ @DPiperScout 6m6 minutes ago
Mac Irvin down 2 with under 15 ticks to go.. Ayo has (by guesstimation) at least 30.. Didn't touch the ball on the possession.
Derek Piper‏ @DPiperScout 12m12 minutes ago
Unrated quality of a great scorer.. Ability to get to the line. Ayo just hit 2 FTs to go up 1 with 30 secs left.
Old May 13, 2017, 06:06 PM   #932
miketherevelator
Okoro owning the boards so far and EJ just checked in. BB over Uplay Canada 14-9.
Old May 13, 2017, 06:31 PM   #933
icengineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob07 View Post
Blast from the past/"Where are they now":

Thad Matta has lost control of the OSU MBB program?

This also means all 5 members of OSU's top-5 2015 class have left the team.
If Lyle hasn't been a part of the team since April 11, how can you pin this on Matta?
icengineer is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017, 06:59 PM   #934
BMo79
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
Okoro owning the boards so far and EJ just checked in. BB over Uplay Canada 14-9.

I have not seen a game of Okoro but have seen some of EJ, but as much as I love JT and what I think he could mean to the Illini, I think EJ is more important. What do you think of Okoro and EJ, Mike , compared to JT
BMo79 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017, 10:34 PM   #935
ballislife17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnticipatedSerendipity View Post
Are we really bringing up this conversation again?! It's ok to compare the style of an nba player to the style of a high school kid. If I say he reminds me of draymond green it means he is a do it all forward you plas great defense. Not that he is a nba champion and all star... people should easily understand that. Or should we start comparing high school kids to other high schoolers that know one has a clue about?

I completely agree with you. And fo the record, I was the first one on here to make the Draymond THT comp . Some people got upset then too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old May 13, 2017, 11:03 PM   #936
miketherevelator
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMo79 View Post
I have not seen a game of Okoro but have seen some of EJ, but as much as I love JT and what I think he could mean to the Illini, I think EJ is more important. What do you think of Okoro and EJ, Mike , compared to JT
Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Family emergency came up (but it's all good now).
I agree with you actually. Potentially they can both be better as collegians than JT. When O'Brien and Henricksen were doing their all-state teams they talked to a lot of people from the metro east area and were told EJ outplayed JT the last two games they had and was going to be a better player. EJ was on their first team and Tilmon on their 2nd team. I've haven't seen that much of any of the three but I have seen all 3 and was very impressed with EJ last weekend. Okoro not as much the first couple times I saw him at EYBL but with Wiseman not playing he's really taken control in the paint it appears. Didn't see what they did tonight except for the first ten minutes, but they both had good to great games this morning. I'm not as good at evaluating players as a lot of people, but MOB and Joe Hoops seem convinced by the people they talked to and that's good enough for me.
Would've liked to have had Tilmon but -- que sera.
Just looked at their stats from tonight -- Okoro 3/14; EJ 5/3 and BB won by 30 points. http://www.d1circuit.com/game/show/1...ferrer=3215953
Old May 14, 2017, 12:16 AM   #937
BMo79
Quote:
Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Family emergency came up (but it's all good now).
I agree with you actually.
Would've liked to have had Tilmon but -- que sera.
Just looked at their stats from tonight -- Okoro 3/14; EJ 5/3 and BB won by 30 points. http://www.d1circuit.com/game/show/1...ferrer=3215953

no worries , hope all is ok for you and your family. Thanks for the info as always. Sure would be sweet to get THT and AYO this year and add EJ and Okoro next year, after Smith and DaWill would be pretty good instate recruiting.
BMo79 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017, 01:28 AM   #938
ballislife17
From the game footage I have seen of EJ and JT, EJ does a much better job of getting involved in the game. He doesn't need the offense to run through him to score whereas JT does, and if he doesn't get the ball, will disappear for large stretches. EJ also is more agile and explosive.

For JT if he gets the ball with time and space, he's gonna score. The problem is teams double him, and he doesn't pass well out of the double team and either turns it over or allows the defense enough time to recover.

Old May 14, 2017, 08:16 AM   #939
Johnny Lawrence
Quote:
whoa - Mike Irvin is so irate at the lack of boxing out by his 'bigs' the refs are laughing during the timeout and you can hear Mike over the background noise. Fire up by 2, THT back on the floor.
MS up by 9. Bagley is back, but really, besides him, it's a pretty lackluster team and he can't dunk every time down the floor.
MTR (or anybody), how do you think the Irvins are as coaches? I know how everyone here feels about their self promotion but what about their developing prospects. Do they just get the most talented players and let them play of do they also develop them?

I ask because from your reports it seem like they are set off by important things such lack of boxing out or THT picking up stupid offensive fouls forcing him to sit.
Johnny Lawrence is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017, 08:47 AM   #940
alexander58
Quote:
Originally Posted by icengineer View Post
If Lyle hasn't been a part of the team since April 11, how can you pin this on Matta?
In the few times I saw OSU play this year, I was impressed by Lyle's obvious talent and struck by his reckless play. IIRC, he was said to have considerable baggage coming in. Does Jereme Richmond ring a bell?
alexander58 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017, 09:37 AM   #941
miketherevelator
Unfortunately (or fortunately for some) I missed all of today's games. So I'm just going to post some tweets I've seen. Looks like I've missed some good performances.

EJ had 5 points. 1 rebound, 2 blocks
http://www.d1circuit.com/game/show/1...bseason=380949
D1 Circuit‏ @D1Circuit 1h1 hour ago
Bradley Beal Elite (MO) F Francis Okoro (@chibestfrank88): 17 PTS, 14 REB in a win over Rotary @STLEaglesBBall
Derek Piper‏ @DPiperScout 3h3 hours ago
High-low action with Liddell & Okoro. EJ takes a dribble in to draw the defense, lobs it over top & Francis flushes it home.
.@EasyE2432 is out here hurtin' people's feelings at the defensive end
Couple strong finishes & another block for Liddell. Meanwhile, Okoro shows off a smooth right hook. In-state 2019s with HIGH ceilings.
EJ Liddell swats one off the glass. Long arms & quick off the floor. Showing he belongs playing up on 17U this weekend.
Nice midrange jumper to start off the morning for Francis Okoro. Solidifying those tools to go with his athleticism will make him a problem.
Old May 14, 2017, 09:38 AM   #942
miketherevelator
Corey Evans‏ @coreyevans_10 1h1 hour ago
Been an impressive morning for Talen Horton-Tucker. Not many more skilled, unique mismatch weapons in the 2018 class THT5 Retweeted
Derek Piper‏ @DPiperScout 2h2 hours ago
Smooth spin by Talen Horton-Tucker & then a straight-line drive to the rim for a strong slam with the right hand. Want him in attack mode.
Old May 14, 2017, 09:41 AM   #943
miketherevelator
Henricksen: Top 10 prospects in the Class of 2018

http://www.suntimeshighschoolsports....ts-class-2018/

Quote:
1. Ayo Dosunmu, 6-5, Morgan Park
The top player in the class and frontrunner for all postseason awards next season. With great height and length for a point guard, the 6-4 junior has lived up to the hype this spring, averaging 22.6 points a game on the highly-competitive EYBL circuit. In a class short of high-major talent, Dosunmu is a bonafide star who simply has to work on his perimeter jumper.
2. Talen Horton-Tucker, 6-4, Simeon
There was quite a bit of time when Horton-Tucker was overlooked. That’s no longer the case. He’s a bonafide high-major prospect because he can do three important things very well –– shoot, pass and dribble –– while possessing a high basketball I.Q. But that combination of creating for others and a feathery touch out to the three-point line are a deadly combination.
3. Tim Finke, 6-6, Champaign Central
Finke has been among the top prospects in the class since he entered high school. Tough, strong, competitive wing who plays hard. He can step out and knock a shot down with some range. Consistency with that shot and creating more for himself off the dribble a work in progress.

Last edited by Dan; May 14, 2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old May 14, 2017, 09:43 AM   #944
IlliniDent
Quote:
Corey Evans‏ @coreyevans_10 1h1 hour ago
Been an impressive morning for Talen Horton-Tucker. Not many more skilled, unique mismatch weapons in the 2018 class THT5 Retweeted
Derek Piper‏ @DPiperScout 2h2 hours ago
Smooth spin by Talen Horton-Tucker & then a straight-line drive to the rim for a strong slam with the right hand. Want him in attack mode.
THT, Ayo, Okoro, and Liddell have got to be 4 of our highest priority guys going forward. If we can land Agau to cover C for 2 years it would be a huge bridge to the 2019 class where it looks like we will have a few more options for bigs.
IlliniDent is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017, 09:44 AM   #945
miketherevelator
Finke 13 pts/3 rbs/3 assts but MS loses and goes 2-2 for the weekend.
http://www.d1circuit.com/game/show/17623019
Old May 14, 2017, 09:45 AM   #946
miketherevelator
D1 Circuit‏ @D1Circuit 37m37 minutes ago
No. 6 E1T1 United (FL) F Silvio De Sousa: 8 PTS, 10 REB, 4 BLK vs Takeover @realE1T1
Old May 14, 2017, 09:49 AM   #947
miketherevelator
THT 22 pts, 7 rbs; Ayo 20 pts, 3 assts. Fire loses another game where they led at halftime or were tied or down by 1. No depth and I've harped enough on the lack of bigs on the team but no Peach Jam for MIF again. But I will still watch in the future just to see these two. They would look great in O&B and like BMo79 said, get them and add Okoro and EJ the next year and I'd love our chances with the young base we've already got.
http://www.d1circuit.com/game/show/17623022
Old May 14, 2017, 09:52 AM   #948
miketherevelator
D1 Circuit‏ @D1Circuit 2h2 hours ago
No. 1 MOKAN Elite (KS) F Malik Hall (@iammalikhall): 14 PTS, 7 REB in a win over Portland BC @MOKANBasketball
Old May 14, 2017, 09:54 AM   #949
miketherevelator
UIHoopsRecruits Retweeted
NPH‏ @NorthPoleHoops 3h3 hours ago
Simi Shittu and Ignas Brazdeikis Canadian Connection Thriving Read more at http://northpolehoops.com/2017/05/14/simi-shittu-ignas-brazdeikis-canadian-connection-thriving/#UDt9z3doeOO7A15d.99 …
Old May 14, 2017, 10:16 AM   #950
miketherevelator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Lawrence View Post
MTR (or anybody), how do you think the Irvins are as coaches? I know how everyone here feels about their self promotion but what about their developing prospects. Do they just get the most talented players and let them play of do they also develop them?

I ask because from your reports it seem like they are set off by important things such lack of boxing out or THT picking up stupid offensive fouls forcing him to sit.
My opinion only from what I've observed. I think Nick is a very good high school coach. He was a star guard in his day and he probably coaches up guards as good as any hs coach can given the circumstances of hs ball and their coaching ability. I know he loves his kids and that is something I always look for in a hs coach. I've never heard him or heard of him cussing kids out or really reaming them in public unlike a whole lot of other coaches I've witnessed. When you hear him talk to his kids it's always positive or telling them they're doing it right.

On the bench --and I imagine in the locker room --he'll get in their face but in a way you'd want a coach to. (Refs are a different story. You never see Nick sitting in Morgan Park games unless he's gotten a T and has to sit the rest of the game -- and that happens quite a lot.) I actually think Nick is a pretty good guy which I know isn't a popular view on here.

Lance is more of a build up coach and Nick always wants him around so I trust he's at least adequate at the job.

As a coach I think Mike is a pretty good nightclub owner. He goes off a lot but it's Nick who usually talks to the kids on the sidelines of Fire games. The guy who is up and doing most of the coaching on the floor is the assistant Jimalle Ridley. And it's either Jimalle or Nick that the kids seem to look to and talk to when they're on the floor.

But that's just my take as a long time high school observer.

I like their theory of using skilled skilled perimeter shooters and then adding bigs solely to rebound and put back. Except when they had Josh Cunningham, I don't they've ever had plays designed for the bigs to do anything but box out and clean up hence why Mike gets so upset when they don't.

It makes for an exciting game, but can bite them in the butt when their main perimeter shooter has a bad night like Charlie did against Lincoln Way West in the supers two years ago and the supporting guys also don't come through -- or look panicked, like in that game.

That game was still close in the 4th quarter but MP's other guards acted like they were down by 20. And it hurts them in EYBL because every team they've faced has had superior inside play -- some of it vastly superior.

Again, just my take on things Irvin. I'm sure others have a different one.

Last edited by Dan; May 14, 2017 at 05:48 PM.