Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

2017 Basketball Transfer Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 10:57 AM   #1326
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballislife17 View Post
Defense is definitely more of a concern than rebounding. Finke improved his overall strength and rebounding tremendously last year. I remember him getting a ton of offensive rebounds last year.
He did improve, as most do their second year. But the rebounding numbers weren't what I'd call "tremendously" better. Still not a strength of his game.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 11:02 AM   #1327
ballislife17
2017 Basketball Transfer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
He did improve, as most do their second year. But the rebounding numbers weren't what I'd call "tremendously" better. Still not a strength of his game.

Not a strength, but no longer a weakness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old May 19, 2017, 11:22 AM   #1328
Serious Late
Location: Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque via Chicago via Champaign via Peoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBradIllini View Post
Serious? Basically, they're both saying they don't know anything and are guessing like the rest.
Well, the two of them don't appear to:

1) Post in the form of symbols

2) Post in the form of acronyms

3) Speak in 100% absolutes

4) Get angry when people reasonably question them and/or their sources due to the fact they are anonymous message board posters

That alone makes them better than 100% of the people claiming to be insiders during the Groce era.

Old May 19, 2017, 12:12 PM   #1329
ChiefIllini
Looks like Alstork might push his decision date
ChiefIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 12:16 PM   #1330
IlliniKid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini View Post

My only guess as so why he is extending it out is because he is waiting to see what the SC scholly situation is
IlliniKid is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 12:16 PM   #1331
Adnarel
Quote:
"Oh, crap, SC doesn't actually have room for me?"

Old May 19, 2017, 12:35 PM   #1332
FC Illiniman
Could change his mind tommorow too, really it's all when and what he chooses. At this point, seems we have few options.
FC Illiniman is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 12:36 PM   #1333
icengineer
Are things really going to change much at this point? He doesn't seem to have Illinois at the top of his list as some seem to speculate. If we were there is no reason to extend. Our situation is ideal for him and I seriously doubt our staff is asking him to hold up on committing. This tells me he knows we will still be here but his preferred landing spot, presumably SC at this point, is still trying to work out a spot for him.

In short, he's just waiting on his first priority SC knowing full well his 2nd option isn't going to fill all four spots, UI.

I wonder if FC's deleted posts, which I missed, shed any light on this situation?
icengineer is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 12:37 PM   #1334
afpharmdawg
My biggest worry with Alstork is Pitt. Don't know why just a gut feeling. Of course, it could be SC or LSU. I just so confused. My insider voices in my head are telling all kinds of things.

Old May 19, 2017, 12:38 PM   #1335
cash35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verified Insider View Post
To be clear, I'm not beating up on you, nor is anybody else from what I can tell. The way I see it, if you put emotional stock in "inside information" and it turns out wrong, the only person to blame is yourself. Nobody forces you to put stock in what various insiders say.

I just find the entire insider thing interesting from a purely psychological point of view. The manner in which people breath a sigh of relief because an insider throws up or always amused me.

Of course, I hope you're right. I'm just playing the role of skeptic when I hear somebody say "oh, don't worry, he gets it right!" -- especially when he has gotten exactly 1 prediction right. Let's hope this becomes #2.
Emotional stock?? Lol. Maybe you should stick to Dr Phil. Nerd
cash35 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 12:42 PM   #1336
icengineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cash35 View Post
Emotional stock?? Lol. Maybe you should stick to Dr Phil. Nerd
Hey! We are all basketball nerds 'round here!
Old May 19, 2017, 12:44 PM   #1337
Ubermensch
Founder, Josh Whitman Fan Club
Quote:
Not a dagger, but not ideal.
Ubermensch is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 12:56 PM   #1338
spfldfan
Now the 24th per his twitter
spfldfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 01:05 PM   #1339
NunnBetter
Quote:
Originally Posted by spfldfan View Post
Now the 24th per his twitter
Of course, it has to be on a Wednesday!!
NunnBetter is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 01:12 PM   #1340
brillinian
Quote:
Cuonzo didn't make a late call did he?
brillinian is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 02:05 PM   #1341
illiniknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by cash35 View Post
It's been Illinois or SC, almost from the get go. Ive heard he could end up at either school and LSU would be the 3rd option, but my main guy is telling me Illinois. Louisville was never a serious threat
Appreciate the update. Thanks.
illiniknight is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 03:16 PM   #1342
FC Illiniman
We all watching this transfer of Alstork pretty close so we got idea he really likes and is considering on committing. I didn't think SC was a landing spot, because of lack of schollies available. I can see MA like the idea of going there but him wanting to be "The guy ", doesn't seem to be likely to me. The Pittsburgh opportunity could be more likely because they lost there guy , Johnson. Not sure if reason Johnson left, staff, PT, or a better chance to be a winner. Whatever reason he still has LSU on list too, which he posted he likes the campus, because that team is not good at all. All things said, being a O+B backer, I would like to see him at UI, something has held up his descision​ . We look like best fit , SC is the Hot Spot, Pittsburgh needs a scorer bad , LSU is looks like the fun spot. SC has to move someone out to have room for him, that could cause the waiting. Might be waiting for someone else to land at UI. Looks like we have Abit of time to kick it around, Any thoughts?
Old May 19, 2017, 03:23 PM   #1343
t7nich
Mark Alstork's thoughts on the final four schools

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2017/...inal-decision/

Illinois: The fan base is crazy. The opportunity to play minutes. Id be able to show my leadership skills and able to mentor some of the younger guys. Coach Underwood has one of the top offenses every year and he has phenomenal assistants. The entire staff just really made me feel comfortable.
t7nich is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 03:40 PM   #1344
Illiniguy13
Quote:
Originally Posted by t7nich View Post
Mark Alstork's thoughts on the final four schools

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2017/...inal-decision/

Illinois: The fan base is crazy. The opportunity to play minutes. Id be able to show my leadership skills and able to mentor some of the younger guys. Coach Underwood has one of the top offenses every year and he has phenomenal assistants. The entire staff just really made me feel comfortable.
Reading between the lines with the orange-tinted glasses off, it sounds like he thinks Illinois gives him the best shot at going pro. Probably not worth reading that far into it in the first place
Illiniguy13 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 05:03 PM   #1345
RichBradIllini
http://www.tigerrag.com/prolific-gra...inal-decision/

Last edited by RichBradIllini; May 19, 2017 at 05:09 PM.
RichBradIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 05:46 PM   #1346
IlliniBrave75
11m
Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein
South Florida grad transfer Geno Thorpe tells me he is now considering Syracuse and Pitt. Immediately eligible.
IlliniBrave75 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 07:17 PM   #1347
FC Illiniman
LSU director of basketball was at Wright State......oh the plot thickens. Seems Alstork knew him well . That is another check in LSU column.
Old May 19, 2017, 08:55 PM   #1348
tsaxflyer
Alstork to SC. Delayed and waiting for schollie opening.
tsaxflyer is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 09:19 PM   #1349
StateFarmCenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaxflyer View Post
Alstork to SC. Delayed and waiting for schollie opening.
South Carolina isn't in the running regardless. I'm surprised they're even in his final list.
StateFarmCenter is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 11:48 PM   #1350
icengineer
So many conflicting stories on this one. So much time to contemplate who may be right, or wrong....