Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Old Aug 5, 2017, 07:19 PM   #1676
Illini Beer 4 All
Zion Griffin is still in the infancy of his recruitment. Not really worried too much. If you hear the same story after official visits, that would be more concerning.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Illini Beer 4 All is online now Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2017, 08:44 PM   #1677
FC Illiniman
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniPuck99 View Post
I unfortunately don't know anymore than that, just got a text from my source and that's all that he expanded on.
Zion said he enjoyed the visit. He's an Illinois guy. Said he looked up to Damonte and Mark Smith. Watched Illinois growing up.
Maybe Iowa State put on the show, think we have edge on all other counts.
FC Illiniman is online now Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2017, 06:03 AM   #1678
TCTORNADO
Ayo gets an offer from Memphis. This recruitment just got a couple shades grayer,
TCTORNADO is online now Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2017, 07:26 AM   #1679
Paigncake
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Ayo gets an offer from Memphis. This recruitment just got a couple shades grayer,
Frankly despite what some people claim I've never been real convinced Ayo ends up here. If he does fantastic but his kind of the recruitment is the kind that I'll believe he ends up at UI when I see it.
Paigncake is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2017, 07:39 AM   #1680
Morrow Plots
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbutts718 View Post
visit when students are on campus. The danger of summer visit is campus is dead.
I was on ISU campus in June. Saying it was sleepy is an understatement.
Morrow Plots is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2017, 08:10 AM   #1681
OldGreg
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Why? Tubby is the coach there now and Memphis is not the team they used to be
OldGreg is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2017, 08:42 AM   #1682
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGreg View Post
Why? Tubby is the coach there now and Memphis is not the team they used to be
Fed Ex says it all!!
TCTORNADO is online now Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2017, 09:34 AM   #1683
james81
Without more context and info, it's impossible to know where any team stands with Zion Griffin. He's had a few intense weeks and the dust needs to settle. If you look at his offers, though, it's not unreasonable to think Iowa State could make his final's list. Having said that, I wouldn't trade places with Iowa State or any other team regarding his recruitment. We have a lot of recruiting advantages--assuming Griffin believes he has what it takes to compete at Illinois. We believe he does, but does he? The attention he is getting is somewhat new and he may need some time to assess where he fits in best.
james81 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:12 AM   #1684
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Originally Posted by james81 View Post
Without more context and info, it's impossible to know where any team stands with Zion Griffin. He's had a few intense weeks and the dust needs to settle. If you look at his offers, though, it's not unreasonable to think Iowa State could make his final's list. Having said that, I wouldn't trade places with Iowa State or any other team regarding his recruitment. We have a lot of recruiting advantages--assuming Griffin believes he has what it takes to compete at Illinois. We believe he does, but does he? The attention he is getting is somewhat new and he may need some time to assess where he fits in best.
This. I wouldn't trade places with any other school for Griffin's services, with the huge caveat that we know very little about the factors he considers paramount. Many, if not most, prospects consider a legit path to early playing time to be very important.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:35 AM   #1685
1m4tr
Cliffmas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigncake View Post
Hmmm first time Ive read this. I assume you heard something?
Yeah first I've heard about it too. Thought I would hear something thru other sources. But a writer on another board mentioned it. Someone who's talked to Okoro on at least one or two occasions.
1m4tr is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:44 AM   #1686
miketherevelator
Corey Evans‏ @coreyevans_10 2h2 hours ago
Illinois has offered 2019 five star @teamloadedaau big man Armando Bacot

http://247sports.com/Player/Armando-Bacot-94692
miketherevelator is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:45 AM   #1687
Adnarel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigncake View Post
Frankly despite what some people claim I've never been real convinced Ayo ends up here. If he does fantastic but his kind of the recruitment is the kind that I'll believe he ends up at UI when I see it.
See, that's where I am, too. It seems like Illinois fans routinely gets worked up about an in-state prospect who is "in the bag" until the bluebloods get involved and then they're gone without a second thought. I guess what's different this time is Coleman and the excitement around the new staff in general.

Just can't shake the feeling that I've seen this movie before. I hope I'm wrong.

Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:19 AM   #1688
Illini Beer 4 All
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
No way we get him, not that we really care if we get Okoro, but it would be pretty sweet to have an Armando on our team.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Illini Beer 4 All is online now Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:24 AM   #1689
james81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnarel View Post
See, that's where I am, too. It seems like Illinois fans routinely gets worked up about an in-state prospect who is "in the bag" until the bluebloods get involved and then they're gone without a second thought. I guess what's different this time is Coleman and the excitement around the new staff in general.

Just can't shake the feeling that I've seen this movie before. I hope I'm wrong.
I'd be surprised if anyone thinks Ayo's "in the bag," and of course, when a recruit is considering multiple offers, it's always makes sense to bet on the field. But here's a simple question: What one team would you pick over Illinois? Would you be willing to put your money on them rather than Illinois? He may not commit to us, but at the moment, there are reasons to be hopeful.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 01:29 PM   #1690
miketherevelator
Brian Snow‏ @BSnowScout 10m10 minutes ago
July stock riser Aaron Henry announces his top five of Butler, Illinois, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Xavier http://www.scout.com/Player/Aaron-Henry-94629 …
miketherevelator is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2017, 01:29 PM   #1691
ballislife17
Quote:
July stock riser Aaron Henry announces his top five of Butler, Illinois, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Xavier http://www.scout.com/Player/Aaron-Henry-94629

I remember someone on here saying he was a lock for IU...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Aug 6, 2017, 01:36 PM   #1692
FC Illiniman
Quote:
Originally Posted by james81 View Post
I'd be surprised if anyone thinks Ayo's "in the bag," and of course, when a recruit is considering multiple offers, it's always makes sense to bet on the field. But here's a simple question: What one team would you pick over Illinois? Would you be willing to put your money on them rather than Illinois? He may not commit to us, but at the moment, there are reasons to be hopeful.

IMO, I have always thought Ayo was looking for the"bright lights" of the big boys. Now recruiting has been on going for awhile, he has alot of offers on his mantle. My thoughts is he would go to one of the big dogs, but as on late he has been excepting all his offers without much fanfare. Think we have better than 50/50 chances of getting him here. Still think it's in spring b4 he commits. BU has made best efforts to being fore front, we have made the pitch. Think he plays season out and then makes a commit. Hoping it's us.
FC Illiniman is online now Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2017, 01:39 PM   #1693
Indy Illini Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballislife17 View Post
I remember someone on here saying he was a lock for IU...

Never said it was a lock. Never a lock in recruiting until the pen hits the paper.

Had heard he was likely going to be interested as soon as they offered. Recruiting is fluid so I am not surprised.

The last I had heard up until this recent visit here, and the MSU offer was that IU was a top school for him. Once Damezi Anderson, and others committed, you can see why IU became less likely.

Heard that yesterdays visit went extremely well for him however, and he really liked BU. Heard he might try to schedule officials to all 5, and then make decision.
Indy Illini Fan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2017, 01:52 PM   #1694
illiniguy24
Quote:
July stock riser Aaron Henry announces his top five of Butler, Illinois, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Xavier http://www.scout.com/Player/Aaron-Henry-94629

Would be surprised if he doesn't end up at Butler

illiniguy24 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2017, 02:54 PM   #1695
HC Illini
HC Illini
Stop worrying gents, Ayo is coming to illinois. Nothing more to talk about with him.
HC Illini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2017, 03:01 PM   #1696
james81
Quote:
Great news. Looks like a tough recruitment, but it might help with Griffin.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 03:30 PM   #1697
CHEEF
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC Illini View Post
Stop worrying gents, Ayo is coming to illinois. Nothing more to talk about with him.
Heard it was a done deal. Not sure why people are doubtful.
CHEEF is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2017, 03:34 PM   #1698
illiniguy24
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC Illini View Post

Thy trust is weak with insiders

illiniguy24 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2017, 04:14 PM   #1699
sacraig
Mad Scientist
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEEF View Post
You must be new here.
sacraig is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2017, 05:17 PM   #1700
sdfidaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEEF View Post
Keep forgetting there's a new Sheriff and deputies in town
sdfidaho is offline Reply With Quote