Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illini Basketball 2017-2018

Old Aug 10, 2017, 03:12 PM   #901
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilt7 View Post
Never really like it when a starter on an opposing team doesn't play for whatever reason. If we win it will only be because they are missing their starting PF/C (or so the story will be) and if we lose then we got beat by a team that is missing its starting PF/C. Lose/lose situation even if we win.
Eh, I'll take the win let others debate, but the W won't come with an asterisk

Old Aug 10, 2017, 03:17 PM   #902
Adnarel
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post
I don't see "heavy favorites."
Everybody else kinda does, man. You got the memo they're getting both Porters, right? Mizzou is now Porterhouse University. Even Kentucky fans are sitting up straighter and taking a good look at Mizzou.

Old Aug 10, 2017, 03:43 PM   #903
IlliniinIowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnarel View Post
Everybody else kinda does, man. You got the memo they're getting both Porters, right? Mizzou is now Porterhouse University. Even Kentucky fans are sitting up straighter and taking a good look at Mizzou.
The Missouri game worries me. Hope our perimeter shooting is lights out because who do we have who can handle the Porters inside? Might be a long night.....
IlliniinIowa is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 03:49 PM   #904
Illiniguy13
Quote:
I needed some entertainment today & decided to review Cuonzo's rosters over the past 7 years... No doubt about it, the guy can recruit...but...woof.

2011-2013 -- Notable players include Jordan McRae(NBA), Josh Richardson(NBA), Jarnell Stokes(NBA, number 11 overall recruit).....2 NIT's and 1 S16

2014-2017 -- Ivan Rabb(NBA), Jaylen Brown(lottery pick), Jabari Bird(NBA), Tyrone Wallace(fringe NBA)....2 NIT's(including that gem-of-a-stomping to Cal Bakersfield) and bounced in the 1st round in the tourney 2 years back.

Yes, there were key injuries involved w/ these losses, and I do believe he inherited some of these players, but holy smokes...Mizzou fans better hope Cuonzo has a good year because even he is going to be hard-pressed to replace the talent he'll have this year

Last edited by Illiniguy13; Aug 10, 2017 at 03:59 PM.
Illiniguy13 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 05:43 PM   #905
IlliniBrave75
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniinIowa View Post
The Missouri game worries me. Hope our perimeter shooting is lights out because who do we have who can handle the Porters inside? Might be a long night.....

Although I agree that we don't have the horses against their inside game, the same could be said about them guarding against what should be a quick and good shooting group of guard/wings that we put out there.

I think the game may be determined by who controls the pace. If it becomes a half court game we will probably lose, but if we are able to get out on the break and play uptemo, I feel that we would come out of the game with a win!
IlliniBrave75 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 06:15 PM   #906
jmilt7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
Found this early season projection. Looks pretty bad for Wake, although their PG is thought to be quite good, and they have some perimeter threats. They lost John Collins to the NBA, and have a very inexperienced front court.

ACC write-up
After the Big Ten ACC schedule was announced I read one or two articles predicting winners/losers (I remember Sports Illustrated was one). They predicted Wake Forest would win. Now this was an early prediction and before Dinos left for Euroleague. The SI article really went on about Danny Manning and what wonderful things he is doing at Wake. I don't think BU was mentioned.
jmilt7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 06:46 PM   #907
FC Illiniman
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniinIowa View Post
This game is long time away, but , I agree it looks like a mis match inside, but we will have experience there. The Porter's have to get ball inside, I see alot of denial defense, and our guards should harass there's all game.
As I said b4, the bragging rights game could very well be the Xmas present we looking for , for many years.
FC Illiniman is online now Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 06:48 PM   #908
Joseph Kerr
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniBrave75 View Post
Although I agree that we don't have the horses against their inside game, the same could be said about them guarding against what should be a quick and good shooting group of guard/wings that we put out there.

I think the game may be determined by who controls the pace. If it becomes a half court game we will probably lose, but if we are able to get out on the break and play uptemo, I feel that we would come out of the game with a win!
I agree, we need to Golden State them. The lineup they have reminds me of the old Big 10 when you played 3 people of size, a shooting guard and a point guard. What good is height if you get pressed into turnovers, if you can't get the game moving side to side, in and out because the other side is faster than you and tough.
Joseph Kerr is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 07:02 PM   #909
VAIllini35
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Illiniman View Post
This game is long time away, but , I agree it looks like a mis match inside, but we will have experience there. The Porter's have to get ball inside, I see alot of denial defense, and our guards should harass there's all game.
As I said b4, the bragging rights game could very well be the Xmas present we looking for , for many years.
It's also still relatively early in the season and relying on 3 frosh early in the year can be a challenge.
VAIllini35 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 07:12 PM   #910
FC Illiniman
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAIllini35 View Post
It's also still relatively early in the season and relying on 3 frosh early in the year can be a challenge.
Won't mizznoz be doing same thing?
Because our freshman will be ready ��
FC Illiniman is online now Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 07:39 PM   #911
VAIllini35
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Illiniman View Post
Won't mizznoz be doing same thing?
Because our freshman will be ready ��
Sorry, yes, I was referring to MIZNOZ as the team being more reliant on young talent early on.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 07:54 PM   #912
jcgoldie
Quote:
Meh.
jcgoldie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 08:16 PM   #913
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Mount Kentucky is worried about Missouri. They have mire than enough talent to overcome anything Mizzou throw at them.

They may be wondering how Mizzou got the porters, but then they remember who Martin hired to get the Porters.

As far as illnois goes, they too will be relying on freshmen, so anything goes.

Old Aug 10, 2017, 08:26 PM   #914
Ol Dirty Gamer
Quote:
Even Kentucky fans are sitting up straighter and taking a good look at Mizzou.
After spending some quality time in Lexington, I might have to disagree there.
Ol Dirty Gamer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 09:17 PM   #915
Dan
Admin
Sneak peek of the @IlliniMBB hype video I'm making, inspired by the season 7 Game of Thrones trailer... #StayTuned #Illini

https://twitter.com/aerwin96/status/895794031652814848
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 09:38 PM   #916
illinidadtime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Sneak peek of the @IlliniMBB hype video I'm making, inspired by the season 7 Game of Thrones trailer... #StayTuned #Illini

Great idea, this will be a hit on social media
illinidadtime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2017, 09:47 PM   #917
Thor015
That GoT hype video idea is genius
Thor015 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 05:31 AM   #918
ILL BUCK
I got a bad feeling mizzno is gonna beat the brakes off of us! God I hope im wrong!!
ILL BUCK is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 06:28 AM   #919
james81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL BUCK View Post
I got a bad feeling mizzno is gonna beat the brakes off of us! God I hope im wrong!!
Conditioning and bench depth will have a big impact on this game. Personally, I don't see size or lack of college experience as being the determining factors.
james81 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 07:10 AM   #920
Calvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL BUCK View Post
No idea how the game will go, but people underestimating Mizzou because they have a poor coach are way off base IMO. Great players can carry a bad coach, and have done so many times. Porter is on another level. Maybe not a generational NBA talent, but he's ranked #1 for a very good reason. He does it all, frankly. Has outstanding size, can score at any level, has great hands and handle for his size. Kind of player that can consistently beat defenders on his drives. He is a mismatch, period. Oh, and he's competitive. GMs will be drooling over him because he's a prototype skilled big for exactly where the game is heading (or arrived if your the GSW). He's a can't miss pro, barring some disaster injury or outside problem. How anyone can casually dismiss that is beyond me.

The younger brother is as much potential as realized, so he's not as concerning, but there's a ton of talent on that roster. Do I think Martin will get the most of it? Nope. Do I think they can be a good to very good team without good coaching? Yep.
Calvin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 07:26 AM   #921
VAIllini35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
No idea how the game will go, but people underestimating Mizzou because they have a poor coach are way off base IMO. Great players can carry a bad coach, and have done so many times. Porter is on another level. Maybe not a generational NBA talent, but he's ranked #1 for a very good reason. He does it all, frankly. Has outstanding size, can score at any level, has great hands and handle for his size. Kind of player that can consistently beat defenders on his drives. He is a mismatch, period. Oh, and he's competitive. GMs will be drooling over him because he's a prototype skilled big for exactly where the game is heading (or arrived if your the GSW). He's a can't miss pro, barring some disaster injury or outside problem. How anyone can casually dismiss that is beyond me.

The younger brother is as much potential as realized, so he's not as concerning, but there's a ton of talent on that roster. Do I think Martin will get the most of it? Nope. Do I think they can be a good to very good team without good coaching? Yep.
The question is, will they 'be there' collectively in late December, or is this a team that will 'be there' end of January. Even Cal's teams don't often show true potential until some time down the road... it will be interesting to see the differing styles (drilled to execute and harass vs young talent).
Old Aug 11, 2017, 07:33 AM   #922
VAIllini35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Very nice - although you may want to think of Wisc. as the enemies to the North. Unless of course you're saving them to be the White Walkers.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 09:14 AM   #923
ChiefIllini
Mizzou's talent level is higher than any Martin has had before. They return some moderately decent players, whether their record last year showed it or not. On paper, they'll be favorites barring injuries or a complete meltdown early.
ChiefIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 09:42 AM   #924
Adnarel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini View Post
On paper, they'll be favorites barring injuries or a complete meltdown early.
This is exactly my angle. Any sensible individual in the world, knowing what we know today at this exact instance in time, is going to easily call Mizzou the favorite in the Braggin' Rights game. Both new coaches. Both with new players learning a new system. But one team has far better incoming talent.

There are three X factors as I see it: injuries, the Martin Incompetence Factor, and the Underwood Special. We shall see what things look like in December.

Old Aug 11, 2017, 09:49 AM   #925
battle
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAIllini35 View Post
The question is, will they 'be there' collectively in late December, or is this a team that will 'be there' end of January. Even Cal's teams don't often show true potential until some time down the road... it will be interesting to see the differing styles (drilled to execute and harass vs young talent).
I think this comes to who asserts their will.
I can't see BU letting them play to their strengths - BU has demonstrated he knows how to and can beat 'superior' teams.
Groce would let them dictate game, BU will force them (as much as possible) to play our game, not theirs - they still need guard play and ball-handling and need to play defense .... - how will they respond to push-pedal-to-the-metal pace and a Huggy-style press and defense (with 3 bigs - 2 porters and Tilmon) in Dec vs. in Feb/Mar (and younger Porter, I assume, was not enrolled in the summer). I hope they have 20+ TOs and Porter can only score so many points if he only gets so many touches and/or needs to rest on the bench...
It should be an exciting game and high scoring
battle is offline Reply With Quote