Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illini Basketball 2017-2018

Closed Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 08:16 PM   #901
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnarel View Post
Everybody else kinda does, man. You got the memo they're getting both Porters, right? Mizzou is now Porterhouse University. Even Kentucky fans are sitting up straighter and taking a good look at Mizzou.
Mount Kentucky is worried about Missouri. They have mire than enough talent to overcome anything Mizzou throw at them.

They may be wondering how Mizzou got the porters, but then they remember who Martin hired to get the Porters.

As far as illnois goes, they too will be relying on freshmen, so anything goes.

Old Aug 10, 2017, 08:26 PM   #902
Ol Dirty Gamer
Quote:
Even Kentucky fans are sitting up straighter and taking a good look at Mizzou.
After spending some quality time in Lexington, I might have to disagree there.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 09:17 PM   #903
Dan
Admin
Sneak peek of the @IlliniMBB hype video I'm making, inspired by the season 7 Game of Thrones trailer... #StayTuned #Illini

https://twitter.com/aerwin96/status/895794031652814848
Old Aug 10, 2017, 09:38 PM   #904
illinidadtime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Sneak peek of the @IlliniMBB hype video I'm making, inspired by the season 7 Game of Thrones trailer... #StayTuned #Illini

Great idea, this will be a hit on social media
Old Aug 10, 2017, 09:47 PM   #905
Thor015
That GoT hype video idea is genius
Old Aug 11, 2017, 06:28 AM   #906
james81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL BUCK View Post
I got a bad feeling mizzno is gonna beat the brakes off of us! God I hope im wrong!!
Conditioning and bench depth will have a big impact on this game. Personally, I don't see size or lack of college experience as being the determining factors.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 07:10 AM   #907
Calvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL BUCK View Post
I got a bad feeling mizzno is gonna beat the brakes off of us! God I hope im wrong!!
No idea how the game will go, but people underestimating Mizzou because they have a poor coach are way off base IMO. Great players can carry a bad coach, and have done so many times. Porter is on another level. Maybe not a generational NBA talent, but he's ranked #1 for a very good reason. He does it all, frankly. Has outstanding size, can score at any level, has great hands and handle for his size. Kind of player that can consistently beat defenders on his drives. He is a mismatch, period. Oh, and he's competitive. GMs will be drooling over him because he's a prototype skilled big for exactly where the game is heading (or arrived if your the GSW). He's a can't miss pro, barring some disaster injury or outside problem. How anyone can casually dismiss that is beyond me.

The younger brother is as much potential as realized, so he's not as concerning, but there's a ton of talent on that roster. Do I think Martin will get the most of it? Nope. Do I think they can be a good to very good team without good coaching? Yep.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 07:26 AM   #908
VAIllini35
OFL Supplier, BU's Brylcreem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
No idea how the game will go, but people underestimating Mizzou because they have a poor coach are way off base IMO. Great players can carry a bad coach, and have done so many times. Porter is on another level. Maybe not a generational NBA talent, but he's ranked #1 for a very good reason. He does it all, frankly. Has outstanding size, can score at any level, has great hands and handle for his size. Kind of player that can consistently beat defenders on his drives. He is a mismatch, period. Oh, and he's competitive. GMs will be drooling over him because he's a prototype skilled big for exactly where the game is heading (or arrived if your the GSW). He's a can't miss pro, barring some disaster injury or outside problem. How anyone can casually dismiss that is beyond me.

The younger brother is as much potential as realized, so he's not as concerning, but there's a ton of talent on that roster. Do I think Martin will get the most of it? Nope. Do I think they can be a good to very good team without good coaching? Yep.
The question is, will they 'be there' collectively in late December, or is this a team that will 'be there' end of January. Even Cal's teams don't often show true potential until some time down the road... it will be interesting to see the differing styles (drilled to execute and harass vs young talent).
Old Aug 11, 2017, 07:33 AM   #909
VAIllini35
OFL Supplier, BU's Brylcreem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Very nice - although you may want to think of Wisc. as the enemies to the North. Unless of course you're saving them to be the White Walkers.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 09:14 AM   #910
ChiefIllini
Mizzou's talent level is higher than any Martin has had before. They return some moderately decent players, whether their record last year showed it or not. On paper, they'll be favorites barring injuries or a complete meltdown early.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 09:42 AM   #911
Adnarel
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini View Post
On paper, they'll be favorites barring injuries or a complete meltdown early.
This is exactly my angle. Any sensible individual in the world, knowing what we know today at this exact instance in time, is going to easily call Mizzou the favorite in the Braggin' Rights game. Both new coaches. Both with new players learning a new system. But one team has far better incoming talent.

There are three X factors as I see it: injuries, the Martin Incompetence Factor, and the Underwood Special. We shall see what things look like in December.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 09:49 AM   #912
battle
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAIllini35 View Post
The question is, will they 'be there' collectively in late December, or is this a team that will 'be there' end of January. Even Cal's teams don't often show true potential until some time down the road... it will be interesting to see the differing styles (drilled to execute and harass vs young talent).
I think this comes to who asserts their will.
I can't see BU letting them play to their strengths - BU has demonstrated he knows how to and can beat 'superior' teams.
Groce would let them dictate game, BU will force them (as much as possible) to play our game, not theirs - they still need guard play and ball-handling and need to play defense .... - how will they respond to push-pedal-to-the-metal pace and a Huggy-style press and defense (with 3 bigs - 2 porters and Tilmon) in Dec vs. in Feb/Mar (and younger Porter, I assume, was not enrolled in the summer). I hope they have 20+ TOs and Porter can only score so many points if he only gets so many touches and/or needs to rest on the bench...
It should be an exciting game and high scoring
Old Aug 11, 2017, 09:55 AM   #913
Ga65
Porter is obviously a very gifted athlete with some skills but one man will not win by himself. Counzo is going to have to build a team to utilize him. Dennis Smith was hyped last year and seemed to disappear in our game. However I must point out that Porter would be a great fit in BU's system.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:01 AM   #914
Greensboro
On the miznoz side, espn article

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...tball-one-year
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:14 AM   #915
Adnarel
Banned
They didn't even mention Blake Harris (who also came ultimately as a result of the Porter hire).
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:47 AM   #916
IllinoisFan733
Quote:
They didn't even mention Blake Harris (who also came ultimately as a result of the Porter hire).
Did you see who the author was? Medcalf is a joke...
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:51 AM   #917
Fighter of the Nightman
RE: the GoT hype video ... I love it.

It really reminds me of the swagger we had during the mid-2000s and hope to regain during the BWood Era. Being the state flagship school of a giant state that is constantly being raided by other coaches and a hot spot for other teams' transplant fans, we have a natural "us against the world" mentality sometimes, and that video pumps me up to own that mentality.

Indiana scoffs from the east because they have five dusty banners? We don't care. That's in the past, and we'll take whatever they throw at us from now on.

Iowa yaps about their fantasies of the "Cheatin' Illini" from the west? We don't care. We'll continue to own that series.

Missouri has a new, flashy coach that is determined to poach recruits from our side of the river? We don't care. We'll make them pay for it in December in St. Louis.

We have been through a lot the last ten seasons, and it has beaten down a lot of our fans. I understand if some need to "see to believe" before they get that swagger back, but it's back for me. I enjoy NU fans thinking they're in a better spot than us because they made one NCAA Tournament ever; it will make beating them sweeter. I enjoy that Indiana is so pumped about Archie Miller that Brad Underwood and his Illini aren't even on their radar. I love that Missouri fans actually are delusional enough to think they have this rivalry on cruise control going forward because of Cuonzo. Illinois basketball has to prove itself again, and I cannot wait. Because we will.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:07 AM   #918
jcgoldie
Quote:
This is exactly my angle. Any sensible individual in the world, knowing what we know today at this exact instance in time, is going to easily call Mizzou the favorite in the Braggin' Rights game. Both new coaches. Both with new players learning a new system. But one team has far better incoming talent.

There are three X factors as I see it: injuries, the Martin Incompetence Factor, and the Underwood Special. We shall see what things look like in December.
I guess I'm not a "sensible individual in the world." I see a tossup in a rivalry game that is usually closer than the 2 teams involved. Mizzou has lot of raw freshman talent, mostly inside, very little in the way of returning talent, and a coach who has not shown the ability to coach players up. Will they be able to get the ball inside to those guys consistently against our guards, will those freshmen be adjusted to the speed of the game after a month and a half of games against mostly inferior opponents? I don't know, but the level of Mizzou trepidation on this board is not what I would call "sensible."

Edit to add: I know one thing, in years where I don't feel we will be competitive I always contemplate skipping this game because I can't stand the thought of walking out of that place getting jeered at by 10,000 Missouri rednecks. I always go anyway because I hate the thought of missing a classic game where we send them scurrying with their tails between their legs (Rayvonte Rice) even worse... this year I will be purchasing my tickets enthusiastically. Oh and I hope you guys are all right that they are massive favorites because that will make Tiger tears that much sweeter!

Last edited by jcgoldie; Aug 11, 2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:18 AM   #919
Adnarel
Banned
I admit the Martin Incompetence Factor is a pretty important variable. Perhaps I'm not assigning it enough weight. I may even change my tune about the Braggin' Rights game as few as 5 games into the season. We'll just have to see.

For now, I can't blame impartial observers for favoring Mizzou. I just can't. Privately, I hope for the sort of game you're describing. I'm going to try my best to be there again this season, as I have just recently regained my hearing from when Rice hit his shot.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:45 AM   #920
Ga65
Texas is also going to be interesting. Shaka Smart has done a great recruiting job, now for the coaching job. We wanted him when we got JG but he hasn't done much to date.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 03:32 PM   #921
Greensboro
Quote:
For now, I can't blame impartial observers for favoring Mizzou. I just can't.
I think this is fair for impartial observer, but I'm with Goldie on this one. Recruiting class does not = instant success. Think Ben Simmons at LSU, Kentucky usually takes some time to gel & Mizzou class shouldn't be mistaken for Kentucky class in balance, numbers, & pieces left from last year.

to put some numbers here, right now Miznoz is 4th on 247:
Past History - (recruiting rank)Team Record

(3) MSU 20-15; (4th) FSU 26-9; (5) NCState 15 -7

(3) Tex A&M 28-9; (4th) OSU 21-14; (5) L'Ville 23-8

(3) UNLV 18-15; (4th) L'Ville 27-9; (5) OSU 24-11

(3) Memphis 24-10; (4th) Ind (11-15); (5) L'Ville 31-6

Take a ways, no guarantees for success, note L'ville was in this range 3 yrs in a row, OSU 2 times, so I'm sure the base talent on most of these teams is higher than Mizzou. NCState last year was a bit of a flyer on underperforming, but there big guy was ineligible for a number of games. MSU last year was more of a reload for them than usual & it took them a while to gel with a bunch of freshman. I'm ok with them being favored, but there is a lot of noise/variation on the reasonable outcomes for next season from both Mizzou & ILL. With Mizzou counting more heavily on freshman, I think it is likely they progress more/faster than we do over the year, so early favors us more than later in the year.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 06:24 PM   #922
illinitiger
Quote:
I admit the Martin Incompetence Factor is a pretty important variable. Perhaps I'm not assigning it enough weight. I may even change my tune about the Braggin' Rights game as few as 5 games into the season. We'll just have to see.

For now, I can't blame impartial observers for favoring Mizzou. I just can't. Privately, I hope for the sort of game you're describing. I'm going to try my best to be there again this season, as I have just recently regained my hearing from when Rice hit his shot.
even if we start strong in the season, I dont see how we are favored. if we win, it should be a huge confidence boost for fans and players. I dont see a W for UI, if Mizzou's 2 best players have played together for the last 12+ yrs (porter brothers). Did we determine if younger Porter is eligible for our game?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 06:29 PM   #923
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinitiger View Post
even if we start strong in the season, I dont see how we are favored. if we win, it should be a huge confidence boost for fans and players. I dont see a W for UI, if Mizzou's 2 best players have played together for the last 12+ yrs (porter brothers). Did we determine if younger Porter is eligible for our game?
Why wouldn't he be?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 06:40 PM   #924
FiveStar
I'm clearly blinded by my orange tinted glasses, but I really don't see a scenario in which we lose to Miznoz, barring major injuries. Porters will go off, but college basketball games are decided by guard play, of which ours are better IMO.

Also, as most of you guys in here probably know from my posts, I have complete confidence in BU and his coaching ability.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 06:40 PM   #925
pruman91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgoldie View Post
I guess I'm not a "sensible individual in the world." I see a tossup in a rivalry game that is usually closer than the 2 teams involved. Mizzou has lot of raw freshman talent, mostly inside, very little in the way of returning talent, and a coach who has not shown the ability to coach players up. Will they be able to get the ball inside to those guys consistently against our guards, will those freshmen be adjusted to the speed of the game after a month and a half of games against mostly inferior opponents? I don't know, but the level of Mizzou trepidation on this board is not what I would call "sensible."

Edit to add: I know one thing, in years where I don't feel we will be competitive I always contemplate skipping this game because I can't stand the thought of walking out of that place getting jeered at by 10,000 Missouri rednecks. I always go anyway because I hate the thought of missing a classic game where we send them scurrying with their tails between their legs (Rayvonte Rice) even worse... this year I will be purchasing my tickets enthusiastically. Oh and I hope you guys are all right that they are massive favorites because that will make Tiger tears that much sweeter!
good post

I think the game will depend on how much our guards can pressure the ball and disrupt their offense....no doubt they will try to play a half court game, but I think a lot of fans are underestimating our team and the new system we will run....

If it is in the eighties for both teams then I like our chances...If it in the 50's 0r 60's then it could be a long nite....

Illini are Walken on sunshine
Closed Thread