Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 08:09 PM   #1226
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
Quote:
Originally Posted by EfremWinters84 View Post
Choosing the home state school is a bit foreign to me, actually --- or, perhaps that's because I just don't see it very often being an ILLINOIS guy.
Mark Smith? DaMonte?

Old Oct 7, 2017, 08:12 PM   #1227
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeittothehoop View Post
I am not at all surprised Nolley picked Georgia. I think there were other factors besides basketball. His family left Chicago to live in Georgia.
It could make sense, some families do not like to get on a plane numerous times in the winter to go watch their kid play basketball games when there's distance, time, and airfare involved.

Old Oct 7, 2017, 08:12 PM   #1228
OWWDig
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaShampoo View Post
Mark Smith? DaMonte?
Yep. And those guys should get a lot of love from our fans for staying loyal to the state. I know I'll be rootin my butt off for them from up in C. Can't wait to see them play...along with all of our guys, but particularly the guys that had other good options but chose to be loyal.

Lets hope they pave teh way for others to want to stay loyal - and succeed.
OWWDig is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 08:55 PM   #1229
Paigncake
Quote:
Originally Posted by CahokiaComanche1 View Post
Michael O'Brien‏Verified account @michaelsobrien 19m19 minutes ago
More
#Illini fans: Curie people in contact w/Landers Nolley say hell stay in the south for college. For same reasons he returned after soph yr.

Guess they were on to something.
Yeah.. And he was fake as heck about it. I get the Ayo tweet response to Nolley now.. He knew he wasn't coming to UI months ago. I get kids want to be recruited but be straight up about things. That's not too much to ask.
Paigncake is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 08:57 PM   #1230
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
It's a small world ... well, maybe not so small.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ9YhiinZMz/
Mike, you are the best!! Dan, needs to put a donate button by your name. Where you come up with some of this stuff is beyond belief.
Thanks, man!!
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 08:58 PM   #1231
americanoutlaw11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaShampoo View Post
Mark Smith? DaMonte?
Honestly my 2 favorite high school players from the state in the class and ecstatic to have them, but there was a ton of top 75 talent (Tilmon, Goodwin, J. Smith, Eastern) U of I missed on too.
americanoutlaw11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 09:35 PM   #1232
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanoutlaw11 View Post
Honestly my 2 favorite high school players from the state in the class and ecstatic to have them, but there was a ton of top 75 talent (Tilmon, Goodwin, J. Smith, Eastern) U of I missed on too.
Clearly, none of those 4 would fit Underwood's offensive scheme.
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:05 PM   #1233
IlliniFin86
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveStar View Post
Hes listed 65-66 depending on where you look. I like him as much as Nolley based on the clips around here. Extra points for being a bit taller. Solid option after missing on Nolley IMO. BMo said hes been watching full games, so Im interested in his take after seeing more. With Euros I think the shooting is expected because of the style of play, but he also seems to have some slash to his game. Looks like a player with a well rounded base set of skills, but room to grow.
Nolley is a legit 6'7" now so no extra points for Val.
IlliniFin86 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:07 PM   #1234
FiveStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFin86 View Post
Nolley is a legit 6'7" now so no extra points for Val.
He grow? I saw a lot of stuff that said 64
FiveStar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:22 PM   #1235
IlliniFin86
Quote:
He grow? I saw a lot of stuff that said 64
http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/09/04/l...ming-saturday/

Listed from 6'4" to 6'8". Piper confirmed height as 6'7" when he took illini OV.
IlliniFin86 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 03:15 AM   #1236
ILLHangOut
In hindsight, at least, it was pretty obvious UGA was the destination for Nolley given they didn’t cancel his visit after he announced he knew where he was headed. I’m guessing all of the schools involved knew at that time. There’s just no way UGA would host him knowing he would announce for another school that same weekend.
ILLHangOut is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 04:46 AM   #1237
BMo79
Quote:
Hes listed 65-66 depending on where you look. I like him as much as Nolley based on the clips around here. Extra points for being a bit taller. Solid option after missing on Nolley IMO. BMo said hes been watching full games, so Im interested in his take after seeing more. With Euros I think the shooting is expected because of the style of play, but he also seems to have some slash to his game. Looks like a player with a well rounded base set of skills, but room to grow.
from watching the games I have so far, I would say he is well rounded, have seen him do just about everything, rebound/block a shot/get steals/dribbles ok(at times to much) can drive to the basket/isnt afraid of contact(at times seems to like it) on D he tends to be guarding the 4, if he is 6-6 id be shocked, but thats what he himself said so who knows. all in all the more I watch the more I like. Of all the guys we are or have been after I would say THT/Finke kind of player id put him some place in the middle of the 2 of them. He wont come in and be a starter over who we have in 17, but he for sure could play a little at the 2 3 4 Being Euro he does seem to be alot like Matic can shoot,pass,and handle the ball
BMo79 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 05:59 AM   #1238
Verified Insider
Valtonen is a good looking prospect and would be a very nice consolation to Nolley. No doubt about it.

But I'm curious to hear what people have to say about him once he commits to Arizona State
Verified Insider is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 08:56 AM   #1239
jjh22003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini B-Ball Fan View Post
Looking forward to Val's visit next week, he appears to be the real deal with definite NBA goals. Hopefully, the toxic perception hanging over the Illini will not scare him off.
He reminds me of a young Mike Miller. Would be a great get!

Old Oct 8, 2017, 09:14 AM   #1240
PlayAZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVTjJ74SdOE

He actually reminds me of a Grayson Allen type of player, (without the mental issues) this kid is a player. Next to THT as far as current recruits, I would say he seems to be B1G ready also.
PlayAZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 09:39 AM   #1241
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayAZ View Post
That was a lot of fun to watch ! Love that he can already dribble well to either side, shoots it from outside, makes a lot of layups. Plays D (quite a few blocks in there). He doesn't muscle people, but he doesn't shy away from contact either. My favorite is the floater in the lane at about :25.

Sign me up, please !

Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:20 AM   #1242
PlayAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
That was a lot of fun to watch ! Love that he can already dribble well to either side, shoots it from outside, makes a lot of layups. Plays D (quite a few blocks in there). He doesn't muscle people, but he doesn't shy away from contact either. My favorite is the floater in the lane at about :25.

Sign me up, please !
Luka Doncic is the REAL player, that kid will be in the NBA for sure.
PlayAZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:02 AM   #1243
Ga65
Quote:

He actually reminds me of a Grayson Allen type of player, (without the mental issues) this kid is a player. Next to THT as far as current recruits, I would say he seems to be B1G ready also.
Malcolm Hill?

Liked some of the recruits we lost but I'd consider it successful with only Ayo. Mr. Basketball for two years is suffice to hype and he would replace our only loss next year.
Ga65 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:08 AM   #1244
DragonIlliniFan
Quote:
Luka Doncic is the REAL player, that kid will be in the NBA for sure.
Doncic is hyped as potentially the best euro player to ever come over, already. Looking like what people hope Wiggins will be.
DragonIlliniFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:18 AM   #1245
Ubermensch
Founder, Kipper Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonIlliniFan View Post
Doncic is hyped as potentially the best euro player to ever come over, already. Looking like what people hope Wiggins will be.
Wait... Wiggins? As in Andrew Wiggins?
Ubermensch is online now Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:19 PM   #1246
Dvick217
Banned
So Nolley just De-Committed from Georgia.

https://twitter.com/thatbooych3z/sta...90831168917504

Last edited by Dan; Oct 8, 2017 at 03:21 PM.
Dvick217 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:22 PM   #1247
foby
Quote:

Love that drive and finnish around the 2:00 mark. Really hope to get this kid, even if only for the finnish wordplay.
foby is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:22 PM   #1248
GGGFightingIllini18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvick217 View Post
LOL this is hilarious
GGGFightingIllini18 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:23 PM   #1249
mdonsbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvick217 View Post

Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:23 PM   #1250
miketherevelator
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGFightingIllini18 View Post
LOL this is hilarious
18 hours

Jeff Borzello‏Verified account @jeffborzello 3m3 minutes ago

ESPN 100 Landers Nolley confirms he has decommitted from Georgia -- about 18 hours after committing to the Bulldogs.
miketherevelator is offline Reply With Quote