Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2017)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Oct 9, 2017, 08:29 PM   #1451
Illini Beer 4 All
Illini Beer 4 All's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
So why haven't the blue bloods knocked down the door?

I'm not disagreeing with you, but it is odd.
Why would they? Duke, Kentucky, and Arizona have already landed top pgs. Kansas is very close with 2. Louisville had one. They talked to Ayo and probably felt they had stronger chances with others as evidenced by them landing others.

Leave it to illini fans to eat their own like no other.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Illini Beer 4 All is offline
Old Oct 9, 2017, 08:34 PM   #1452
robjilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
As somebody posted earlier it is strange that the blue bloods never really came after Ayo. Really strange considering he's a potential burger boy and top 30 recruit.
I just don't understand it.. He has bill self written all over him. Maybe they giving Chicago a break this year.. oh they just got Charlie Moore.. Maybe he covers the Chicago quota
robjilla is offline
Old Oct 9, 2017, 08:36 PM   #1453
NBB1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verified Insider View Post
Yes, Brian Carlwell was top-50...

I believe Charles Jackson had offers from Auburn and UGA, but mostly because they wanted him to play football as well.

2007 rebounded slightly when you consider McCamey, Tisdale, Mike Davis, etc., but even that was a disappointment considering who we were targeting -- IDKWTI, Evan Turner, Moore, etc. Not even going to mention Rose, because that was never going to happen.
I thought so about Carlwell - and now that you mention it, i remember that about Charles Jackson. Didn't he actually end up moving from hoops to football for UI, only to then transfer?

You mention E'Twaun Moore as a miss - if my memory serves me correctly on his recruitment (or at least rumors on message boards at the time) Moore was longing for a UI offer that never came?
NBB1979 is offline
Old Oct 9, 2017, 08:42 PM   #1454
jrichisamazing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini Beer 4 All View Post
Why would they? Duke, Kentucky, and Arizona have already landed top pgs. Kansas is very close with 2. Louisville had one. They talked to Ayo and probably felt they had stronger chances with others as evidenced by them landing others.

Leave it to illini fans to eat their own like no other.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I specifically said I wasn't disagreeing with him. Ayo is a stud, no doubt about it.

It's just odd that no blue bloods have been interested (publicly at least) at any point. It's one thing if they back off because they land other guys, but they didn't seem interested from the beginning. And it's not like Ayo blew up on the scene late...he's been highly regarded since his freshmen year.

__________________
jrichisamazing is offline
Old Oct 9, 2017, 08:43 PM   #1455
drewillini89
The old days are over. Time for people to move on about talking about Carlwell and McCamey and who cares. Ayo is visiting this weekend and probably committing to Illinois next week. Let the landslide begin. Be excited for the future. The past doesn't matter.
drewillini89 is offline
Old Oct 9, 2017, 08:44 PM   #1456
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by icengineer View Post
Ummmm, he is no. 27 CG on 24/7 website. Where do you see him listed anywhere in the top 10?

Edit: weird, I now see where he is listed as no 3 CG (4 star) on 247. Maybe I somehow got an older link?

Edit 2: Figured it out, he is no 27 overall in the 2018 class on 237. Sorry for the confusion.
247 breaks out CG, PG, & SG and then does an overall guard rating. Ayo is overall #11. As a point of reference for 2017, Mark Smith overall guard was #36 and Frazier was #51.
Just saw where D'aMonte was #75 overall guard in 2017

Last edited by TCTORNADO; Oct 9, 2017 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Added Williams
TCTORNADO is online now
Old Oct 9, 2017, 08:56 PM   #1457
sacraig
Mad Scientist
sacraig's Avatar
Location: Arizona, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by icengineer View Post
Haha, well there is no comparison between the two if you ask me. The only thing Tucson has going for it is UA, and I hate UA! Road layout? Hands down Phoenix. I've lived, worked, spent a fair amount of time in, Chicago, St Louis, Tampa, Austin, El Paso, Dallas, LA, San Diego, and Portland. Phoenix is far and away the better place IMO. And I won't even mention how bad some of the foreign cities I've been to are, haha. A week or two at a time? Absolutely! Love them all!
Things Tucson has going for it that Phoenix does not:
  • 5 to 8 degrees cooler
  • No so much freaking concrete
  • Slightly more rain
  • I live here
  • So many artillery-sized potholes that you are guaranteed to destroy your tires before the warranty is up, so basically free tires for life
  • 5 to 8 degrees cooler
  • 5 to 8 degrees cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by icengineer View Post
I want an Elias commit by the end of the weekend, an Ayo commit a few days after that, and if that is all we get, I still consider it a great class. Adding a Nolley, THT, BPJ, will just be adding an amazing icing on top of an already fantastic cake!!
Also back on topic, has anyone heard anything about BPJ recently? is there even any premium info about him that you guys can't share specifically but can at least share its existence?
sacraig is offline
Old Oct 9, 2017, 08:57 PM   #1458
NBB1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruman91 View Post
cornfields all the way....I might be biased tho...
NBB1979 is offline
Old Oct 9, 2017, 09:01 PM   #1459
TCTORNADO
Duke has reached out to BPJ.
TCTORNADO is online now
Old Oct 9, 2017, 09:05 PM   #1460
Illininer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBB1979 View Post
I thought so about Carlwell - and now that you mention it, i remember that about Charles Jackson. Didn't he actually end up moving from hoops to football for UI, only to then transfer?

You mention E'Twaun Moore as a miss - if my memory serves me correctly on his recruitment (or at least rumors on message boards at the time) Moore was longing for a UI offer that never came?
I believe Robbie Hummel was the one that wanted the offer. Pretty sure Moore had an offer, but Illinois stopped recruiting him once Gordon committed. IIRC would have had a really good shot at Moore too.
Illininer is offline
Old Oct 9, 2017, 09:06 PM   #1461
NBB1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verified Insider View Post
Yeah.....I think we're going to see more frequent rotations with Underwood than with Groce or Weber. The days of relying on one or two key players to play 36+ minutes are probably over.
I certainly hope we go deep in the rotation - i'd like to see at least 9 guys get 15+ minutes - i love the idea of uptempo basketball.

I just want to point out that when Groce was hired, that's what everyone said we were getting with him

Go Illini!
NBB1979 is offline
Old Oct 9, 2017, 09:11 PM   #1462
Swamp Donkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawks215 View Post
There is likely 0% chance of that happening. They already have 2 SF/wings committed and I believe they're out of scholarships, so they'd have to clear a space for Ayo. So not sure they'd over-sign by 2.
Luther is paying
Swamp Donkey is online now
Old Oct 9, 2017, 09:19 PM   #1463
NBB1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illininer View Post
I believe Robbie Hummel was the one that wanted the offer. Pretty sure Moore had an offer, but Illinois stopped recruiting him once Gordon committed. IIRC would have had a really good shot at Moore too.
Maybe my failed me as far as Moore longing for an offer - but I certainly agree, if IDKWTI just reopens his recruitment sooner, i think Moore may have been an Illini. Past is the Past

Lets get the Finn on Wed, Ayo on Sunday, and Landers next week. After going O-fer last week, i know - ambitious!

Last edited by NBB1979; Oct 9, 2017 at 09:25 PM.
NBB1979 is offline
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:57 PM   #1464
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
BananaShampoo's Avatar
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacraig View Post
Things Tucson has going for it that Phoenix does not:
  • 5 to 8 degrees cooler
  • No so much freaking concrete
  • Slightly more rain
  • I live here
  • So many artillery-sized potholes that you are guaranteed to destroy your tires before the warranty is up, so basically free tires for life
  • 5 to 8 degrees cooler
  • 5 to 8 degrees cooler



Also back on topic, has anyone heard anything about BPJ recently? is there even any premium info about him that you guys can't share specifically but can at least share its existence?
I'm a Phoenix guy all the way, for many reasons, but to add a couple items in Tucson's favor:

- The Catalina's are a way more spectacular backdrop than anything in Phoenix, plus you can take an amazingly scenic drive to the top where it's another 20+ degrees cooler.
- Saguaro National Park is right there
- The airplane graveyard and air museum are pretty awesome

That said, I'll take Phoenix all day everyday.

To stay on topic, let's get two commits in the next two weeks and make this an October to remember!

__________________
C-U/UIUC Historian and Lover of all Things Illini
BananaShampoo is offline
Old Oct 10, 2017, 05:04 AM   #1465
GortTheRobot
Location: North Bethesda, Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewillini89 View Post
The old days are over. Time for people to move on about talking about Carlwell and McCamey and who cares. Ayo is visiting this weekend and probably committing to Illinois next week. Let the landslide begin. Be excited for the future. The past doesn't matter.
I understand you probably just mean in terms of past recruiting, but be careful of "the past doesn't matter" statements...you're gonna rub some of us old timers the wrong way.
GortTheRobot is offline
Old Oct 10, 2017, 05:58 AM   #1466
foby
Location: Sin City
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacraig View Post
Things Tucson has going for it that Phoenix does not:
  • 5 to 8 degrees cooler
  • No so much freaking concrete
  • Slightly more rain
  • I live here
  • So many artillery-sized potholes that you are guaranteed to destroy your tires before the warranty is up, so basically free tires for life
  • 5 to 8 degrees cooler
  • 5 to 8 degrees cooler

But more importantly, can it drive to its left?

Last edited by foby; Oct 10, 2017 at 06:08 AM.
foby is offline
Old Oct 10, 2017, 06:32 AM   #1467
DudeIllini
Location: Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by foby View Post
But more importantly, can it drive to its left?
Doesn't matter, it's going to Iowa St. I don't care though because Tucson isn't a fit in BU's offense.
DudeIllini is offline
Old Oct 10, 2017, 06:43 AM   #1468
james81
Location: North Carolina
When it comes to Valtonen, forget location. What makes more of a difference is educational status and the UIUC is recognized as a world-class university, ranked 36th in The World University Rankings (ASU is ranked 131). That might be an important factor to Valtonen's parents, and a point that I'm sure BU will push. Of course, it's not the main factor, but the Finns place a high value on education and it could be a more important consideration than in the typical recruitment.
james81 is offline
Old Oct 10, 2017, 07:03 AM   #1469
Jack Ingram Ball Screen
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by james81 View Post
When it comes to Valtonen, forget location. What makes more of a difference is educational status and the UIUC is recognized as a world-class university, ranked 36th in The World University Rankings (ASU is ranked 131). That might be an important factor to Valtonen's parents, and a point that I'm sure BU will push. Of course, it's not the main factor, but the Finns place a high value on education and it could be a more important consideration than in the typical recruitment.
Also people from other countries just assume U of I is in Chicago and people love Chicago.
Jack Ingram Ball Screen is offline
Old Oct 10, 2017, 07:25 AM   #1470
foby
Location: Sin City
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeIllini View Post
Doesn't matter, it's going to Iowa St. I don't care though because Tucson isn't a fit in BU's offense.
I think you're onto something.
foby is offline
Old Oct 10, 2017, 07:43 AM   #1471
ivwilsoniv
ivwilsoniv's Avatar
Location: Aurora, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ingram Ball Screen View Post
Also people from other countries just assume U of I is in Chicago and people love Chicago.
Wait a second... it's NOT?!

__________________
ivwilsoniv is offline
Old Oct 10, 2017, 07:43 AM   #1472
FeelYourPaign
FeelYourPaign's Avatar
Location: Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by james81 View Post
When it comes to Valtonen, forget location. What makes more of a difference is educational status and the UIUC is recognized as a world-class university, ranked 36th in The World University Rankings (ASU is ranked 131). That might be an important factor to Valtonen's parents, and a point that I'm sure BU will push. Of course, it's not the main factor, but the Finns place a high value on education and it could be a more important consideration than in the typical recruitment.
I believe I've read that Finland has the best education system in the world. It's a conscious choice to plan, run and pay for the best anything. U of I ranking will likely matter. Will it carry the day? All by itself? Doubt it. But still helpful

__________________
I'm not tense, just really, really alert.
FeelYourPaign is online now
Old Oct 10, 2017, 07:54 AM   #1473
miketherevelator
miketherevelator's Avatar
Location: Aurora
Evans' twitter tuesday includes a paragraph on THT. Says no official to ILL solidified, which I guess is better than saying no official official to Illinois.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....ker-saddiq-bey
miketherevelator is offline
Old Oct 10, 2017, 07:55 AM   #1474
BWilson25
Location: The A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ingram Ball Screen View Post
Also people from other countries just assume U of I is in Chicago and people love Chicago.
I've traveled to Europe extensively throughout the last two decades and I'd say Chicago is relatively unknown compared to New York and LA.
BWilson25 is offline
Old Oct 10, 2017, 08:00 AM   #1475
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
Evans' twitter tuesday includes a paragraph on THT. Says no official to ILL solidified, which I guess is better than saying no official official to Illinois.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....ker-saddiq-bey
Likely the 20th
combes is offline
Closed Thread
Thread Tools

Forum Jump