Captain 'Paign
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacraig View Post
Things Tucson has going for it that Phoenix does not:
  • 5 to 8 degrees cooler
  • No so much freaking concrete
  • Slightly more rain
  • I live here
  • So many artillery-sized potholes that you are guaranteed to destroy your tires before the warranty is up, so basically free tires for life
  • 5 to 8 degrees cooler
  • 5 to 8 degrees cooler

Also back on topic, has anyone heard anything about BPJ recently? is there even any premium info about him that you guys can't share specifically but can at least share its existence?
I'm a Phoenix guy all the way, for many reasons, but to add a couple items in Tucson's favor:

- The Catalina's are a way more spectacular backdrop than anything in Phoenix, plus you can take an amazingly scenic drive to the top where it's another 20+ degrees cooler.
- Saguaro National Park is right there
- The airplane graveyard and air museum are pretty awesome

That said, I'll take Phoenix all day everyday.

To stay on topic, let's get two commits in the next two weeks and make this an October to remember!

Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:53 AM   #1527
icengineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaShampoo View Post
I'm a Phoenix guy all the way, for many reasons, but to add a couple items in Tucson's favor:

- The Catalina's are a way more spectacular backdrop than anything in Phoenix, plus you can take an amazingly scenic drive to the top where it's another 20+ degrees cooler.
- Saguaro National Park is right there
- The airplane graveyard and air museum are pretty awesome

That said, I'll take Phoenix all day everyday.

To stay on topic, let's get two commits in the next two weeks and make this an October to remember!
Otherwise known as,

an October Surprise!!

It will influence the outcome of this years recruiting class.
icengineer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2017, 05:04 AM   #1528
GortTheRobot
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewillini89 View Post
The old days are over. Time for people to move on about talking about Carlwell and McCamey and who cares. Ayo is visiting this weekend and probably committing to Illinois next week. Let the landslide begin. Be excited for the future. The past doesn't matter.
I understand you probably just mean in terms of past recruiting, but be careful of "the past doesn't matter" statements...you're gonna rub some of us old timers the wrong way.
GortTheRobot is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2017, 05:58 AM   #1529
foby
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacraig View Post
Things Tucson has going for it that Phoenix does not:
  • 5 to 8 degrees cooler
  • No so much freaking concrete
  • Slightly more rain
  • I live here
  • So many artillery-sized potholes that you are guaranteed to destroy your tires before the warranty is up, so basically free tires for life
  • 5 to 8 degrees cooler
  • 5 to 8 degrees cooler

But more importantly, can it drive to its left?

Last edited by foby; Oct 10, 2017 at 06:08 AM.
foby is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2017, 06:32 AM   #1530
DudeIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by foby View Post
But more importantly, can it drive to its left?
Doesn't matter, it's going to Iowa St. I don't care though because Tucson isn't a fit in BU's offense.
DudeIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2017, 06:43 AM   #1531
james81
When it comes to Valtonen, forget location. What makes more of a difference is educational status and the UIUC is recognized as a world-class university, ranked 36th in The World University Rankings (ASU is ranked 131). That might be an important factor to Valtonen's parents, and a point that I'm sure BU will push. Of course, it's not the main factor, but the Finns place a high value on education and it could be a more important consideration than in the typical recruitment.
james81 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2017, 07:03 AM   #1532
Jack Ingram Ball Screen
Quote:
Originally Posted by james81 View Post
When it comes to Valtonen, forget location. What makes more of a difference is educational status and the UIUC is recognized as a world-class university, ranked 36th in The World University Rankings (ASU is ranked 131). That might be an important factor to Valtonen's parents, and a point that I'm sure BU will push. Of course, it's not the main factor, but the Finns place a high value on education and it could be a more important consideration than in the typical recruitment.
Also people from other countries just assume U of I is in Chicago and people love Chicago.
Jack Ingram Ball Screen is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2017, 07:25 AM   #1533
foby
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeIllini View Post
Doesn't matter, it's going to Iowa St. I don't care though because Tucson isn't a fit in BU's offense.
I think you're onto something.
foby is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2017, 07:43 AM   #1534
ivwilsoniv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ingram Ball Screen View Post
Also people from other countries just assume U of I is in Chicago and people love Chicago.
Wait a second... it's NOT?!

Old Oct 10, 2017, 07:43 AM   #1535
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by james81 View Post
I believe I've read that Finland has the best education system in the world. It's a conscious choice to plan, run and pay for the best anything. U of I ranking will likely matter. Will it carry the day? All by itself? Doubt it. But still helpful

Old Oct 10, 2017, 07:54 AM   #1536
miketherevelator
Evans' twitter tuesday includes a paragraph on THT. Says no official to ILL solidified, which I guess is better than saying no official official to Illinois.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....ker-saddiq-bey
miketherevelator is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2017, 07:55 AM   #1537
BWilson25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ingram Ball Screen View Post
I've traveled to Europe extensively throughout the last two decades and I'd say Chicago is relatively unknown compared to New York and LA.
BWilson25 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2017, 08:00 AM   #1538
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
Evans' twitter tuesday includes a paragraph on THT. Says no official to ILL solidified, which I guess is better than saying no official official to Illinois.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....ker-saddiq-bey
Likely the 20th
combes is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2017, 08:22 AM   #1539
illiniguy24
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
Likely the 20th

Combes you're so plugged in I'm gonna start calling you outlet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
illiniguy24 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2017, 08:26 AM   #1540
Illwinsagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatahack View Post
So if you grew up in the cold and snow of Finland and you come to the U.S. having the option of playing in the cornfields of Illinois or the palm trees of Tempe Arizona, which would you pick?????
Not everyone prefers the heat. My daughter wants to stay in the top half of the country, so she can have snow. DNA test pending....
Illwinsagain is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2017, 08:27 AM   #1541
miketherevelator
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
Likely the 20th
I've read elsewhere that he may decide among X, GT and Iowa State after this weekend. Hope not. He's my most coveted recruit but my hopes diminish by the week.
miketherevelator is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2017, 08:34 AM   #1542
Indy Illini Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
I've read elsewhere that he may decide among X, GT and Iowa State after this weekend. Hope not. He's my most coveted recruit but my hopes diminish by the week.
Xavier seems like the one to beat right now, but these ILL kids sure do seem to love Ames.

Sure hope we can get Ayo on board, and then THT will visit and follow suit.

Having Ayo, THT, and Valtonen on board in the fall sure would be nice.

Last edited by Indy Illini Fan; Oct 10, 2017 at 08:45 AM.
Indy Illini Fan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2017, 08:39 AM   #1543
Kathy
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniguy24 View Post
Combes you're so plugged in I'm gonna start calling you outlet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see what you did there. Love it!
Kathy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2017, 08:44 AM   #1544
chief2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Illini Fan View Post
Xavier seems like the one to beat right now, but these ILL kids sure do seem to love Ames.

If not getting THT means that we get Ayo, then I am okay with it.
The Ayo decision will determine if this recruiting year is a success or not
chief2007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2017, 08:56 AM   #1545
zpfled
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWilson25 View Post
I've traveled to Europe extensively throughout the last two decades and I'd say Chicago is relatively unknown compared to New York and LA.
I grew up in Eastern Europe and everybody new about Chicago because of Michael Jordan.

That was in the 90's and early 2000's, though, so I can't speak for more recent years.

Not saying you're wrong, though...NYC and LA could be more well-known than Chicago, but that doesn't mean Chicago isn't also well known.
zpfled is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2017, 09:08 AM   #1546
RedRocksIllini
Quote:
For some reason, mentioning Chicago usually gets a reaction along the lines of "Oh yeah, Al Capone. Bang. Bang." Hopefully, the young man likes shiny black cars and tommy guns. If so, he's ours.
RedRocksIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2017, 09:27 AM   #1547
Tevo
Quote:
Fortunately, Arizona State is in neither New York nor L.A. And everyone in Europe has heard of Chicago. Few of them likely know where exactly Arizona is, and none of them have heard of Tempe.

"Chicago! BANG BANG Al Capone!"
Tevo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2017, 09:32 AM   #1548
spillini
In my experience the reaction overseas has been "Oh, Chicago? Michael Jordan! "
spillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2017, 09:56 AM   #1549
CoolPapaDels
Quote:
Originally Posted by spillini View Post
In my experience the reaction overseas has been "Oh, Chicago? Michael Jordan! "
I was in Europe for three weeks this summer, and it was Obama that I heard from most people when I told them I lived in Chicago. But got some Jordan as well.

I'm not sure a familiarity with Chicago will have an impact one way or the other. The only thing as far as geography that might help is travel back and forth is easier/shorter Finland to Chicago than Finland to Phoenix. (I think)
CoolPapaDels is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2017, 09:59 AM   #1550
SescIllini
The more I read and see of Valtonen/Finnish player the more I like. All jokes aside, he would fit BU system well, he might be one of the better "fits" of players on the roster or who we are recruiting.
SescIllini is offline Reply With Quote