Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

FBI College Basketball Corruption Investigation

Old Oct 11, 2017, 06:18 AM   #1276
jmilt7
Former college basketball coach believes FBI investigation could get 50 coaches fired. The author does not mention who this former coach is. And he is including assistant coaches in that number.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2017/10/1...source=twitter
jmilt7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 06:33 AM   #1277
illiniguy24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilt7 View Post
Former college basketball coach believes FBI investigation could get 50 coaches fired. The author does not mention who this former coach is. And he is including assistant coaches in that number.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2017/10/1...source=twitter

That would be something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
illiniguy24 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:35 AM   #1278
BigJIllini
NewsOK‏
@NewsOK

BREAKING: New York grand jury looking for NCAA violations by OSU basketball players

http://newsok.com/article/5567594?ut...areBar-Twitter

Last edited by Dan; Oct 11, 2017 at 02:24 PM.
BigJIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:41 AM   #1279
TheGMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJIllini View Post
Have a bad feeling we are going to be looking for a new basketball coach again sooner than we thought.

NewsOK‏
@NewsOK

BREAKING: New York grand jury looking for NCAA violations by OSU basketball players

So basically Lamont Evans sang like a canary.
TheGMan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:42 AM   #1280
TCTORNADO
Oh Boy, not good!!
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:44 AM   #1281
BigJIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGMan View Post
Yep, probably so.
BigJIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:45 AM   #1282
icengineer
Quote:
Have a bad feeling we are going to be looking for a new basketball coach again sooner than we thought.

NewsOK‏
@NewsOK

I wouldn't doubt that every single school connected to the case up to this point has received, or will receive, the same subpoena.

I don't think that this implicates Underwood any more than previously. This is all just a waiting game. And if this whole investigation has far reaching repercussions and creates massive turnover in the coaching ranks as some suggest, I think it will be a while. Like after the season. Until something happens, I think we just carry on as usual. If the hammer drops, it drops, and we deal with it then.

Last edited by icengineer; Oct 11, 2017 at 10:49 AM.
icengineer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:45 AM   #1283
TheGMan
Especially since, of all the colleges that are known to be involved and under investigation, the only one that I know that is being put in front of a grand jury is OSU. So either OSU did the worst actions, or is the only one that they can get anything on right now. Either way, it is just Illinois’ luck.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:46 AM   #1284
Whitman2020
Step away form the ledge, crazies.

Last edited by Whitman2020; Oct 11, 2017 at 10:51 AM.
Whitman2020 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:50 AM   #1285
TheGMan
Normally I try to be level headed with these things. But this isn’t good. Underwood might not get brought into the bribery scandal. But this increases the chances that he gets hit with NCAA sanctions. At the very least for having lack of institutional control.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:53 AM   #1286
foby
Quote:
Originally Posted by icengineer View Post
I wouldn't doubt that every single school connected to the case up to this point has received, or will receive, the same subpoena.

I don't think that this implicates Underwood any more than previously. This is all just a waiting game. And if this whole investigation has far reaching repercussions and creates massive turnover in the coaching ranks as some suggest, I think it will be a while. Like after the season. Until something happens, I think we just carry on as usual. If the hammer drops, it drops, and we deal with it then.
The voice of reason.
foby is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:01 AM   #1287
miketherevelator
Quote:
They're all going to. Basketball coaches do not ever expect to face heavy prison time. That's why the estimate of coaches and asst coaches going down has ranged up to 150.
Those of you who think this isn't eventually going to touch Underwood are living in a dreamworld.
miketherevelator is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:02 AM   #1288
icengineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by foby View Post
The voice of reason.
In addition, wasn't Evans the first to turn himself in of the indicted assistant coaches? It would stand to reason that OSU would be the first in line to get subpoenaed. I have to believe Evans is co-operating, it's the smart thing to do for him here.
icengineer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:03 AM   #1289
JFGsCoffeeMug
Blunderbuss
Quote:
The FBI investigation has nothing to do with anyone breaking NCAA rules.
Guess you were wrong.

Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:08 AM   #1290
miketherevelator
This tweet is from a few days ago, so today's news is just the beginning.

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account @BruceFeldmanCFB

Hearing more indictments are coming in college hoops. Expected to happen within the next two weeks, I'm told.
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/...24472550055938

(some funny gifs on this tweet btw)
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:12 AM   #1291
IlliniJim20
Not following what the FBI has to do with potential NCAA violations? Money changing hands sure, but who is dumb enough to keep records?

Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:16 AM   #1292
Ubermensch
Founder, Kipper Fan Club
That's okay. I didn't want a revitalized basketball program anyway. Wouldn't want to make football look any worse.
Ubermensch is online now Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:19 AM   #1293
FiveStar
Quote:
Normally I try to be level headed with these things. But this isnít good. Underwood might not get brought into the bribery scandal. But this increases the chances that he gets hit with NCAA sanctions. At the very least for having lack of institutional control.
Can you establish lack of institutional control for a coach who was only there for one year?

Assuming BU is clean with the FBI, isn't his saving grace for any NCAA infractions that he was only there one year?
FiveStar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:20 AM   #1294
sacraig
Mad Scientist
Quote:

NewsOK‏
@NewsOK

I still think head coaches will turn out to be relatively safe from FBI indictment in all of this regardless of how many assistants get caught up in it. It makes no sense for an agency or a company like Adidas to be paying off multiple members of the same staff. The circle of trust would be too big and the chances of getting cost that much larger. It also makes no sense for them to deal directly with head coaches, particularly when they already have an assistant on the books. In other words, I'd be willing to bet that Underwood has, at the very least, enough plausible deniability to avoid any kind of criminal charges whether he was privy to these dealings or not.

That doesn't prevent the NCAA from coming down on him in some fashion eventually, but I would also be willing to bet that the NCAA doesn't make any dramatic moves like that until the FBI investigation is completed. They'll probably want the whole picture laid out before sanctioning anyone. If, at the end of it all, 50 or 150 coaches really are implicated, that basically touches the entire NCAA basketball world, and I'd be surprised if much happens to any coaches that weren't directly implicated. There would be no coaches left.

In other words, I still feel like we are fairly safe based on what we know now.
sacraig is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:22 AM   #1295
EJ33
Quote:
Why would the Feds give two hoots about NCAA violations? It's the money laundering and bribery which are federal crimes that they are policing. Sure, I can see how some NCCA violations come out in the course of things, but that will be incidental. The FBI couldn't care less about NCAA infractions, the vast majority of which are not crimes in the legal sense.
Looks like they care.
EJ33 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:23 AM   #1296
miketherevelator
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacraig View Post
I still think head coaches will turn out to be relatively safe from FBI indictment in all of this regardless of how many assistants get caught up in it. It makes no sense for an agency or a company like Adidas to be paying off multiple members of the same staff. The circle of trust would be too big and the chances of getting cost that much larger. It also makes no sense for them to deal directly with head coaches, particularly when they already have an assistant on the books. In other words, I'd be willing to bet that Underwood has, at the very least, enough plausible deniability to avoid any kind of criminal charges whether he was privy to these dealings or not.

That doesn't prevent the NCAA from coming down on him in some fashion eventually, but I would also be willing to bet that the NCAA doesn't make any dramatic moves like that until the FBI investigation is completed. They'll probably want the whole picture laid out before sanctioning anyone. If, at the end of it all, 50 or 150 coaches really are implicated, that basically touches the entire NCAA basketball world, and I'd be surprised if much happens to any coaches that weren't directly implicated. There would be no coaches left.

In other words, I still feel like we are fairly safe based on what we know now.
Problem with this is, we basically know nothing now compared to what will be known down the road.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:25 AM   #1297
ChazzReinhold
Mom! The Meatloaf!
Quote:

NewsOK‏
@NewsOK

Could someone enlighten me as to why a New York grand jury would care about NCAA violations.
ChazzReinhold is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:26 AM   #1298
miketherevelator
Only good thing about OSU is, if Brad Underwood is involved, Travis Ford is probably really involved.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:26 AM   #1299
SeattleSlim
Quote:

NewsOK‏
@NewsOK

Is it ironic or appropriate that Evans is wearing shoe company gear in that photo of him leaving the courthouse?
SeattleSlim is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:31 AM   #1300
Chris Yates
Recruiting Correspondent
Quote:
I spent seven years as a federal prosecutor and then ten more years defending criminal cases in federal court. The United States Attorneys, their assistants, and the FBI always start with lower-level figures and give them the ability to limit their exposure by flipping on others up the food chain. It's amazing what a powerful incentive that can be. Suffice it to say that the assistant coaches have VERY good reasons to flip on their head coaches.

Tweeting at @CPY87
Chris Yates is offline Reply With Quote