Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:27 PM   #326
bbpeoria
NC State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensboro View Post
Wow, I can't speak for the rest of their roster but NC State will quickly become Headcase U with Blake Harris and Jericole Hellems. Talented for sure but...
bbpeoria is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:28 PM   #327
Liesse1997
Im still Liddell > Okoro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Liesse1997 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:29 PM   #328
PtownIllini8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon House View Post
This tells me staff is getting desperate.
If so, I'd say say. You need to reevaluate your thinking.
PtownIllini8 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:34 PM   #329
PtownIllini8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse1997 View Post
Im still Liddell > Okoro

Really? That's a surprising view. I think it's a lot harder to find an athletic, strong 5. I love Liddell and want both guys badly, but if I had to choose, I wouldn't even hesitate one second to pick Okoro.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:34 PM   #330
t7nich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse1997 View Post
Im still Liddell > Okoro

They play different positions and we will recruit both until the cows come home.
t7nich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:36 PM   #331
coryfor3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Would Josh Cunningham be OK??
Is he leaving Dayton? He had a chance to come here when he left Bradley and chose not to.
coryfor3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:37 PM   #332
t7nich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniguy13 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvTE1fHO9WE

Looks really athletic, too. Not gonna lie, I really, really like his game.
Same here. Don't want to put too much stock in a highlight vid playing against JUCO competition, but he's clearly athletic as heck, rebounds like a beast, and shows good handles for a guy his size.

He would be a 2018 recruit, available immediately, and have 2 years of eligibility??
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:40 PM   #333
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini Beer 4 All View Post
I'd take Herard and Josh Cunningham with Ayo and be extremely pleased.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Chin for the win!!
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 01:01 PM   #334
Illini TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by coryfor3 View Post
Is he leaving Dayton? He had a chance to come here when he left Bradley and chose not to.
Word was he could be a 5th year transfer type. He was recruited to Bradley by Chin who obviously is with us now.

No insider by any means but I'd expect a few transfers from our current squad as well. I could definitely be wrong though
Illini TJ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 01:10 PM   #335
CAHALL15
Quote:
Originally Posted by t7nich View Post
Same here. Don't want to put too much stock in a highlight vid playing against JUCO competition, but he's clearly athletic as heck, rebounds like a beast, and shows good handles for a guy his size.

He would be a 2018 recruit, available immediately, and have 2 years of eligibility??
Yeah, Im going to jump on the Trice train, too. Hes physically ready to hang in the big ten, runs the floor, and can be great rim runner. Rebounding is one skill that seems to translate fairly well. Most good rebounders in the NCAA can still be effective in the NBA and Id be willing to bet that hed be effective playing D1 with hops like that. Having Chin on him and this guy being from Chicago has to help.
CAHALL15 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 01:22 PM   #336
Illini TJ
Don't know if it's been mentioned. If so my bad but on ESPN2 at 430CT Illini target Jermaine Couisnard will be on TV
Illini TJ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 01:38 PM   #337
Illini Beer 4 All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini TJ View Post
Word was he could be a 5th year transfer type. He was recruited to Bradley by Chin who obviously is with us now.

No insider by any means but I'd expect a few transfers from our current squad as well. I could definitely be wrong though
Well also Cunningham committed to Archie, who is gone.

I just love the stop gap recruits. Cunningham could come in play right away and help the team. He makes no impact on Liddell or Whitney because he'll be gone before they'd get here.

So you don't have to worry about a project that may never pan out taking up a scholarship. You get immediate help and it doesn't impede future recruiting. Prefect in my book.

Illini Beer 4 All is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 01:49 PM   #338
ole 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini Beer 4 All View Post
Well also Cunningham committed to Archie, who is gone.

I just love the stop gap recruits. Cunningham could come in play right away and help the team. He makes no impact on Liddell or Whitney because he'll be gone before they'd get here.

So you don't have to worry about a project that may never pan out taking up a scholarship. You get immediate help and it doesn't impede future recruiting. Prefect in my book.

Stop gap recruits are great as long as you get your long term targets. Otherwise you keep having to hustle for more stop gaps.
ole 99 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 01:51 PM   #339
TCTORNADO
Doesn't hurt that Cunningham averages almost a double/double...15.8 ppg and 9.3 rpg.
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 01:59 PM   #340
PlayAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Illinois was in tonight to watch Austin Trice (67, F, 2018) of Wabash Valley
https://twitter.com/JucoRecruiting/s...15301345480704
Ayo, Trice and Taylor run the courts!
PlayAZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 02:41 PM   #341
Oldtoysrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahyeahyeah View Post
plus he would have 1.5 years right, so we have him for the Big Ten season next year, and the whole season the year after that. sign me up.

Or has he only played for a year and a half, and have 2 1/2 yrs. remaining? Anyone clear this up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Oldtoysrock is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 03:05 PM   #342
PtownIllini8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtoysrock View Post
Or has he only played for a year and a half, and have 2 1/2 yrs. remaining? Anyone clear this up?

He would have up to two years left, but to get two years, he would sit this coming semester, plus the whole '19 season. Then he would have '20 and '21. Otherwise he sits this semester and 1st semester next year and has 2nd semester next year, plus '20 left.

Nobody ever wants to sit 1 1/2 years straight to get the two full years, but it is possible. He can't get 2 1/2 years. Playing this year and last, he used up two years of eligibility.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 03:20 PM   #343
Greensboro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PtownIllini8 View Post
He would have up to two years left, but to get two years, he would sit this coming semester, plus the whole '19 season. Then he would have '20 and '21. Otherwise he sits this semester and 1st semester next year and has 2nd semester next year, plus '20 left.

Nobody ever wants to sit 1 1/2 years straight to get the two full years, but it is possible. He can't get 2 1/2 years. Playing this year and last, he used up two years of eligibility.
yes, this...the key here is there are not 1/2 years just because you transfer mid year, he has used up year 2 when he started the season (medical redshirt aside, where you get the whole year back) If he choses to play at all next year the 2nd half year costs a year of eligibility.
Greensboro is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 03:24 PM   #344
americanoutlaw11
Quote:
They play different positions and we will recruit both until the cows come home.
I know. I don't understand these either/or posts with those two or listing a preference between them.
americanoutlaw11 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 03:36 PM   #345
t7nich
Quote:
Originally Posted by PtownIllini8 View Post

Just to be clear.. I think you mean he would play 2nd semester next year (2018 season) plus the season after (2019 season). He would not be around for the '20 season in this instance.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 05:02 PM   #346
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Quote:
Just to be clear.. I think you mean he would play 2nd semester next year (2018 season) plus the season after (2019 season). He would not be around for the '20 season in this instance.
Would play 2nd semester of the 2018-19 season and the entire 2019-20 season.
rbachhuber is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 08:14 PM   #347
Dan
Admin
#Illini target @Schnider_herard is here and certainly looks the part. Mississippi State transfer could certainly add a lot to frontcourt.
https://twitter.com/WCIA3Bret/status/951638333830164480
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:02 PM   #348
jrichisamazing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniguy13 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvTE1fHO9WE

Looks really athletic, too. Not gonna lie, I really, really like his game.
Kind of reminds me of Ed Morrow with his tenacity. Undersized but makes up for it with athleticism and effort. But not the best video so who knows.

Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:03 PM   #349
Dan
Admin

Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:18 PM   #350
icengineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtoysrock View Post

There really is no such thing as playing for a 'half' year. Any portion of a year played is considered one full year.
icengineer is offline Reply With Quote