Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Spring/Summer Illinois Hoops Recruiting

Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:16 PM   #1051
illiniparkie
Quote:
Talked to Malcolm Hill's club coach a few minutes ago. Patrick Smith tells us Illinois and Missouri are "definitely at the top of the group" after the July evaluation period. Xavier is another school to watch. Malcolm Hill has told me previously he wouldn't mind staying around the area so his parents can watch him play. I don't think that's the end-all criteria, but it's a factor.

He likes Illinois. Hes comfortable at Illinois," Smith said today. "He kind of grew up going to their camp."

The coach said he expects Malcolm Hill will sit down to iron out a plan in the next three weeks. That could include a plan for campus visits (he was on the UI campus Saturday) or to trim down his list or to choose a school. He's aware another UI shooting guard target - Kendrick Nunn - has committed elsewhere.
http://www.illinihq.com/chats/2011-0...ball-chat.html
illiniparkie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:25 PM   #1052
Kramer116
http://blogs.courier-journal.com/jod...school-for-pg/

Quote:
Shaker Heights, Ohio, point guard Terry Rozier said the Cardinals are among a handful of schools that have made him an offer and they "stick out."

The 6-foot-1, 165-pound Rozier said he recently talked with U of L coach Rick Pitino and said he’s certain he will visit the Cardinals and Illinois in early September.

Rozier said he also has offers from Oregon, Georgia, Miami and Wyoming and has offers from a lot of the MAC schools. He said Tennessee and TCU have called.
Kramer116 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:39 PM   #1053
JJB
Quote:
Rozier said Louisville has always been his favorite team.

I like their style of play, Rozier said. Thats always been my dream school, but I dont want to say theyre a favorite.

He added that he definitely wants to look into the other schools before committing to anyone.
http://blog.cleveland.com/sunpress/2...rozier_is.html

Quote:
Pitino and his staff spent a lot of time this summer watching point guard Kris Dunn of Wilbraham and Monson Academy in Massachusetts. The 6-foot-4 Dunn appears to have moved toward the top of U of Ls list.
http://www.citizen-times.com/article...yssey=nav|head

Let's hope L-ville continues to focus on Dunn.
JJB is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:41 PM   #1054
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJB View Post
The same exact "dream school" quote was in the Jody Demling piece, and he writes articles specifically for Louisville, UK, and Indiana IIRC.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:43 PM   #1055
illiniobserver22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJB View Post
That doesn't sound promising...how does their depth chart look compared to ours?
illiniobserver22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:23 PM   #1056
SaltLife
Banned
I wish Illinois was looking at Dunn who at 6'3" is the highest rated of the uncommitted PG's left (rated #30 overall at espn for 2012)
SaltLife is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:26 AM   #1057
IlliniRunIn07
How's Rozier going to say Louisville is his dream school, but not admit they're one of the leaders. I mean, I understand he's trying to be diplomatic, and not turn certain coaches off but c'mon...
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:24 AM   #1058
illiniobserver22
Per Jalen James' Twitter feed he is working out every day at Attack Athletics with a group that includes Will Bynum, Luther Head and Jacob Pullen.

That's a great thing to be working out with NBA players before his junior year. Hope he keeps it up! Excited to see how he plays this high school season.
illiniobserver22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:45 AM   #1059
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniobserver22 View Post
Per Jalen James' Twitter feed he is working out every day at Attack Athletics with a group that includes Will Bynum, Luther Head and Jacob Pullen.

That's a great thing to be working out with NBA players before his junior year. Hope he keeps it up! Excited to see how he plays this high school season.
Love it! Keep up the hard work Jalen, and learn from some of the best from Chicagoland in the past 5-10 years. Look forward to you having a great junior season.

And keep on recruiting some of your friends for us in the 2013 and 2014 class while you are at it!

Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:44 AM   #1060
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
Love it! Keep up the hard work Jalen, and learn from some of the best from Chicagoland in the past 5-10 years. Look forward to you having a great junior season.

And keep on recruiting some of your friends for us in the 2013 and 2014 class while you are at it!

I have a feeling that Jalen is going to be a standout PG at UI. He seems to have a lot of Deron's attributes: competitive nature, great crossover, good size for a PG, vision, tireless work ethic and leadership skills.
HeartofaChampion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:02 PM   #1061
illini73
It sounds like Rozier is going to be visiting...

in early September. Right now Louisville is a bit a head of us, but a visit and the chance for maybe more PT will "sway" him.

Orris I am guessing is Plan B. If offered he will have a small window to make a decision before the staff moves on.

If they do not get a PG with the 2012 scholarship they may either go after the best available at any position or roll it over.
illini73 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:25 PM   #1062
Future Walk-On
Larry Austin and Peyton Allen visited Bradley last week, Chasson Randle even visited Bradley....so I guess its still way improbable.
Future Walk-On is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:18 AM   #1063
youlikeroses
No more recent news... this is killing me. Need the team to get back to have some more recruiting news...
youlikeroses is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 01:21 PM   #1064
PeoriaSteve
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by youlikeroses View Post
No more recent news... this is killing me. Need the team to get back to have some more recruiting news...
Dog days of summer, my friend.:laugh:
PeoriaSteve is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 02:04 PM   #1065
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by youlikeroses View Post
Finally found a negative about the Italy trip. :laugh: No recruiting visits or commits when Weber and the team are out of the country.
BrooksTaylorFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:43 PM   #1066
illiniparkie
More recruiting info (all I found for now, which ain't much):

https://twitter.com/#!/highmajorscoop

Quote:
6-foot-3/2013/G/Kevin Johnson mentions Seton Hall, Manhattan, Ohio, Toledo, Dayton, Xavier, Cincy, Illinois, Wisconsin, Tennessee & others.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/illinois/bas...Johnson-113776

He is teammates on the AAU circuit with Devin Williams, who has an offer from Illinois.

Quote:
Kevin Johnson is considering offers from Dayton, Seton Hall, Xavier, Cincinnati, Toledo, Ohio and Miami (Ohio) and interest from Tennessee, Wake Forest and Wisconsin.

A lanky shooting guard, Johnson is a points producer. He also has promise as a defender and rebounder.

One of its most talented guys is 6-foot-2 combo guard Kevin Johnson. The sophomore from Cincinnati is a high-level athlete with supreme speed and quickness. If he tightens up his game a bit and plays under a little more control, that explosiveness will serve him very well and could make him a pretty high level recruit.
illiniparkie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:24 PM   #1067
Serious Late
Location: Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque via Chicago via Champaign via Peoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniparkie View Post
More recruiting info (all I found for now, which ain't much):

https://twitter.com/#!/highmajorscoop

http://rivals.yahoo.com/illinois/bas...Johnson-113776

He is teammates on the AAU circuit with Devin Williams, who has an offer from Illinois.
It is slooooooooooooooow in the recruiting world right now. And not just because Illinois is overseas, it is slow all over. Is there a dead period right now, or just no high school bball going on?

Old Aug 16, 2011, 06:16 AM   #1068
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Late View Post
It is slooooooooooooooow in the recruiting world right now. And not just because Illinois is overseas, it is slow all over. Is there a dead period right now, or just no high school bball going on?
Did the AAU season juts end? I think that this might be the lull between AAU season and HS season. I'm not positive on that though.
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:54 AM   #1069
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniparkie View Post
Quote:
Talked to Malcolm Hill's club coach a few minutes ago. Patrick Smith tells us Illinois and Missouri are "definitely at the top of the group" after the July evaluation period. Xavier is another school to watch. Malcolm Hill has told me previously he wouldn't mind staying around the area so his parents can watch him play. I don't think that's the end-all criteria, but it's a factor.

He likes Illinois. Hes comfortable at Illinois," Smith said today. "He kind of grew up going to their camp."

The coach said he expects Malcolm Hill will sit down to iron out a plan in the next three weeks. That could include a plan for campus visits (he was on the UI campus Saturday) or to trim down his list or to choose a school. He's aware another UI shooting guard target - Kendrick Nunn - has committed elsewhere.

Frank Haith is the former Miami head basketball coach who is now the coach at Missouri. He is in a lot of hot water for his association with the U booster, and for allegedly giving the OK to give a $10,00 payment to that player... so this can only help us with Malcolm Hill.

Come on down Malcolm!
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:25 PM   #1070
Hugh Jorgen
Banned
Quote:
Frank Haith is the former Miami head basketball coach who is now the coach at Missouri. He is in a lot of hot water for his association with the U booster, and for allegedly giving the OK to give a $10,00 payment to that player... so this can only help us with Malcolm Hill.

Come on down Malcolm!
Yep, this could be a HUGE blow to Mizzou given Haith's involvement in some pretty serious stuff from a recruiting violation standpoint while at the U. Hopefully this puts us at the head of the pack.
Hugh Jorgen is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:18 PM   #1071
illini73
Sounds like Hill is going to make his...

decision this fall/winter and the Illini are in very good shape with him.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:26 PM   #1072
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini73 View Post
decision this fall/winter and the Illini are in very good shape with him.
I would guess it is closer to fall than winter, maybe even as early as sometime in September... imo no way it lasts until winter time but we shall see.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:00 PM   #1073
illini73
If you had to take a guess Kramer116...

where do you think (or know) Hill will end up?

Quote:
I would guess it is closer to fall than winter, maybe even as early as sometime in September... imo no way it lasts until winter time but we shall see.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:29 PM   #1074
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini73 View Post
where do you think (or know) Hill will end up?
I have heard that the main thing to watch for is that he makes his planned unofficial visits to various schools like Missouri and Xavier, but does not offer his commitment on them all of a sudden (pull a Kendrick Nunn).

He is scheduled to come here for Midnight Madness. I just have a very good feeling with Hill barring anything unforeseen. A lot of positive buzz on Hill and Illinois now it seems lately, so we shall see. Things can be so fluid.

If I had to guess now, our back court for the 2013 class is James and Hill.

The question marks surrounding Haith and Mizzou only help us. Watch out for Xavier, they could be a dark horse. Just need to get him here for MM uncommitted.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:30 PM   #1075
Kramer116
Did anyone else read that Rivals article by their national guy Eric Bossi? The one where he detailed recruiting for the various B1G schools?

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »