Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

2011-12 Illinois Hoops Winter Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Dec 8, 2011, 07:59 PM   #26
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJoe View Post
A very messy recruitment, grade and eligibility issues as well. Committed to USC, then someone else, then UCONN.
West Virginia
Old Dec 8, 2011, 08:02 PM   #27
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedbod7 View Post
Did we ever go after Ryan Boatright, who's now at UCONN, and why not if we didn't?
So many not so good reasons. Better to have stayed out of that one.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 08:41 PM   #28
HeartofaChampion
If ML becomes a lottery pick in 2012 or 2013, that could only help attract future bigs.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 08:44 PM   #29
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
From what I've read, they thought they were close to landing Schilling but he's since started to get more attention and isn't ready to choose. He seems to be the top priority for 2013. Not counting Parker because he's clearly the top prospect but is going to be really tough to get, IMO.
Pretty much what I've heard and read. Was told BW covets Schilling for his size, athleticism, skill set and motor, but he's not alone, unfortunately, and GS didn't pull the trigger when the staff pressed him for an early verbal knowing his recruitment would heat up otherwise.

Very quiet on the recruiting front. No one considered an imminent verbal. Next summer and fall should be very interesting, though.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 08:45 PM   #30
MTILLINOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
If ML becomes a lottery pick in 2012 or 2013, that could only help attract future bigs.
After the St. Bonny game, I say he needs to stay at least one more year. He was totally out played on the defensive end. He evens needs to work on getting better position on the offensive end too.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 08:46 PM   #31
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
Wasn't BW the "big man" coach at Purdue? Some good ones there while he was there, I think you can see some good progression from the bigs his entire time here, from when they are freshmen to seniors, he is a good teacher.

Hopefully recruits see that and say, he can make me better, I'm going to Illinois.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

Old Dec 8, 2011, 08:47 PM   #32
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynifan34 View Post
Wasn't BW the "big man" coach at Purdue? Some good ones there while he was there, I think you can see some good progression from the bigs his entire time here, from when they are freshmen to seniors, he is a good teacher.

Hopefully recruits see that and say, he can make me better, I'm going to Illinois.
Ironically, a lot of fans wanted him to hire a big-man coach like Deon Thomas a year or two back because they thought BW couldn't develop quality bigs.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 08:49 PM   #33
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
Ironically, a lot of fans wanted him to hire a big-man coach like Deon Thomas a year or two back because they thought BW couldn't develop quality bigs.
I wanted Deon Thomas because I would have liked his enthusiasm for our school. BW's teaching should never be called into question.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

Old Dec 8, 2011, 08:50 PM   #34
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTILLINOIS View Post
After the St. Bonny game, I say he needs to stay at least one more year. He was totally out played on the defensive end. He evens needs to work on getting better position on the offensive end too.
Agreed, though another thing that would help him is if we had a PG who could regularly drive the paint, draw defenders and dish or alley-oop to him for finishes at the rim -- create a few shots for him.

ML has so many tools -- can jump hook with either hand, lay it in with either hand, run the floor for FB buckets, face up and shoot out to 18 feet, pick and pop, get open on the screen and roll, hopefully learn to slip screen. Hope we use him early and often as a focal point of the offense all season.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:28 PM   #35
FeelYourPaign
I'm sure that somewhere on this board there is an explanation of this already, but it is too hard to find.

Why would we not have an offer out to Kendrick Nunn, ranked #6 SG in 2013 and a teammate of Jabari Parker, #1 player in the nation? Wouldn't recruiting one help with the other? I see that we have offered to Xavier Rathan-Mayes, by all accounts a very good SG in his own right.

Does Nunn have academic issues? Attitude?

Thanks. I know that some of you already know the underlying logic and I'm too lazy.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:31 PM   #36
CrazedUIFan
UI Fan in QC Land
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
I'm sure that somewhere on this board there is an explanation of this already, but it is too hard to find.

Why would we not have an offer out to Kendrick Nunn, ranked #6 SG in 2013 and a teammate of Jabari Parker, #1 player in the nation? Wouldn't recruiting one help with the other? I see that we have offered to Xavier Rathan-Mayes, by all accounts a very good SG in his own right.

Does Nunn have academic issues? Attitude?

Thanks. I know that some of you already know the underlying logic and I'm too lazy.
They both have offers.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:38 PM   #37
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedUIFan View Post
They both have offers.
So Scout is wrong?
We need Brubacher's (I think that spelling of name is wrong, which is why I can't find him to ask him to post) grid of scholarships and offers.

Last edited by FeelYourPaign; Dec 9, 2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:39 PM   #38
illini80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTILLINOIS View Post
What will matter is how he finishes the season. If he finishes strong, no one will care about that game.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:41 PM   #39
CrazedUIFan
UI Fan in QC Land
Quote:
So Scout is wrong?
We need Brubacher's (I think that spelling of name is wrong, which is why I can't find him to ask him to post) grid of scholarships and offers.
Scout is hit and miss honestly. Rivals does a little better job with keeping up with the offers.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:58 PM   #40
FeelYourPaign
A bit of a search . . . I found him.
RBachhuber
Sent him a message asking him to post his current grid.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 01:16 PM   #41
Bring The Paign
Banned
We have a lot of big time competition for Parker, any idea on what our chances really are at landing him? According to Rival is has Washington listed as his top team. I don't know how often those pages are actually updated though. Anyone with a little more insight into our recruiting of Parker would be awesome. I'm sure I could find my answer in the old thread but I don't have all weekend to sift through and find it haha.

-
Old Dec 9, 2011, 01:22 PM   #42
AK Illini
UofI Basketball..off the chain
Washington's underwhelming season can't help them with Parker.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 02:23 PM   #43
MTILLINOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Illini View Post
Washington's underwhelming season can't help them with Parker.
Let's hope this will play a factor in his decision when it comes to Washington. His uncle is on the staff and the head coach is a long time friend of Sonny. And the program is as clean as they come. That a lot to over come.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 02:50 PM   #44
IlliniCrusader
Quote:
RBachhuber

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forum...&postcount=242
Old Dec 9, 2011, 03:08 PM   #45
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Quote:
RBachhuber
Here it is:

Attached Thumbnails (click for larger image)
(166.5 KB, 1425 views)

Old Dec 9, 2011, 03:20 PM   #46
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
LaTulip Goes Down with Knee Injury

Quote:
LaTulip canned a long 3 at the buzzer of a frenetic first quarter to give Prospect (3-3, 2-0) a 20-17 lead, but went down shortly thereafter with a knee injury and did not return to the game.

Prospect coach John Camardella, . . . said after the game the two-time all-area guard’s injury was “being evaluated”
I hear LaTulip is mobile today and has an appointment with a doctor. The trainer suspects the ACL.

http://dailyherald.com/article/20111...rts/712089678/
Old Dec 9, 2011, 03:39 PM   #47
FeelYourPaign
Thanks !!
Old Dec 9, 2011, 03:40 PM   #48
FeelYourPaign
Like the Jabari Parker touch a lot, btw
Old Dec 9, 2011, 05:18 PM   #49
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Bummer. Hope he recovers quickly.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 06:15 PM   #50
IlliniRunIn07