Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

2011-12 Illinois Hoops Winter Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Dec 10, 2011, 05:49 PM   #76
WashUIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbruck View Post
Interview with 2014 Darius Austin (Cahokia - IL)

http://goinbaseline.squarespace.com/...ahokia-il.html
Thanks for posting this. It would be great to have a kid from my hometown in the O&B, although I can't help but think he should have found a way to go to one of the jesuit schools across the river.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 06:49 PM   #77
FeelYourPaign
Didn't see any comments on Indiana signage saying across the scorer's table "Kenn Nunn loves IU basketball"
Sneaky
Smart
Old Dec 10, 2011, 08:10 PM   #78
Mr Bread
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
Didn't see any comments on Indiana signage saying across the scorer's table "Kenn Nunn loves IU basketball"
Sneaky
Smart
I'm fine with IU being up because it's good for the conference, but if Crean starts beating Weber head to head for Illlinois talent, I'm going to be very disappointed. And probably angry. It's bad enough with Matta.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 08:11 PM   #79
UofIChE06
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepbullseye View Post
Again, not trying to start anything, but it is the same situation with DePaul right now with respect to Jabari's recruitment. And before anybody starts with comparing programs, the point that is most important to remember is that either school's chances with Jabari have far more to do with what they are doing on the court right now and could do in the future as opposed to what they have done in the past.
Like many have alluded to Depaul is not in the same universe as UI in anything other than the state they are located. If as you say success on the court is the most important thing, then Depaul has no chance with him. If you eliminate them based on that then UI does have a location advantage over all teams that fit the first criteria.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 08:16 PM   #80
Mr Bread
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbruck View Post
Interview with 2014 Darius Austin (Cahokia - IL)

http://goinbaseline.squarespace.com/...ahokia-il.html
How tall is he currently?
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:20 PM   #81
combes
Quote:
Sneaky
Smart
Pretty sure that is against the rules. Schools can no longer acknowledge players at games. The fans can do it, of course. But for them to have that scroll is a violation.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:03 AM   #82
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
Pretty sure that is against the rules. Schools can no longer acknowledge players at games. The fans can do it, of course. But for them to have that scroll is a violation.
it was HUGE. About 10 minutes to go in first half. If I didn't delete the game, I will post a screen shot
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:21 AM   #83
Lafong
no way you could miss it if you were viewing the game while it was displayed. I figured it was some love note to IU from a local booster. It did say "Ken Nunn loves IU", right?
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:32 AM   #84
carmelillini
Yep. That's what it said. NCAA should be notified.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:52 AM   #85
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
it was HUGE. About 10 minutes to go in first half. If I didn't delete the game, I will post a screen shot
sorry, buti did not keep the game. might be a way to recover (probably on dvr somewhere) but i don't know how
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:08 AM   #86
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelillini View Post
Yep. That's what it said. NCAA should be notified.
Based on your comment and my excitement that I was about to a whistle blower (HOW exciting !!), I did a little more research. Evidently, Ken Nunn is a local attorney who uses the IU banner as advertising. It is not a recruiting pitch, although it does look like one. The site I tagged below indicates that a number of people don't think too highly of Ken either, but that probably won't help us to land Kendrick Nunn. Won't hurt either, I guess.

http://www.tmnews.com/stories/commen...U0Njk5MS50bXM=
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:10 AM   #87
IlliniLaw05
The game was an "instant classic" so I'm sure it will be replayed several times.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:34 AM   #88
Kramer116
http://ilprepbullseye.com/Early_Season_Performers.html

Quote:
Gavin Schilling 6'9 2013 PF Chicago (De LaSalle)

Others have gotten a bit carried away with their praise of Schilling and some of the comparisons that we have read border on the ridiculous. But make no mistake about it--Schilling is clearly De LaSalle's best college prospect. In fact, it isn't even close. Schilling was De LaSalle's best player when we watched him on opening night at the Hoops For Healing Thanksgiving Tournament vs. Naperville North. He posted a double-double in points and rebounds in that contest and is capable of doing that on any given night. Schilling's recruiting continues to go through the roof, with TCU being the latest school to extend a scholarship offer, joining the ranks of Illinois, DePaul, Oregon State and USC. Several others are showing strong interest. We still believe that right now Schilling is most comparable to University of Illinois sophomore center Meyers Leonard (forget the height differential--their style of play is practically identical). There is no question that Schilling ranks among the top five prospects in Illinois from the 2013 class with a chance to be among the top three before it is all over.

Malcolm Hill 6'5 2013 2G Belleville (East)

There are few players in the state who mean more to their team's success than Hill. It is plain to see how much Belleville East relies on Hill for offensive production and more often than not he responds. Hill is a great mid-range scorer, is outstanding in the open court and seemingly gets to the basket at will. He is especially adept at getting into the lane, drawing contact and either finishing or getting to the free throw line. All of this is even more impressive when one considers that Belleville East lacks a pure point guard who can get Hill the ball on a regular basis. He still needs to get stronger and work on expanding his range, but we look for Hill to be a valuable contributor at the University Of Illinois much sooner than later.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:36 AM   #89
Kramer116
http://ilprepbullseye.com/Turner_Purdue_Offer.html

Quote:
Looking at how rapidly Purdue University has moved with its recruitment of 6'4 2014 2-guard Paul Turner since the Illinois high school basketball season started in November, we knew that something was in the works. And sure enough, that has now come about, as reliable sources have confirmed that Turner has received a scholarship offer from the Boilermakers and head coach Matt Painter.

Turner's offer from the Boilermakers is his seventh from a D1 program to date. It comes on top of previous offers from Illinois, Missouri, Wisconsin, Xavier, DePaul and South Florida. There are plenty of others who continue to show strong interest as well.
I have not heard much about Paul Turner lately, but he has been accumulating quite a bit of high major offers in the past year or so.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:04 PM   #90
themudflap
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniLaw05 View Post
Paul Klee said on the radio last week that Jabari will be tough to get, but that he is seriously looking for reasons to stay in his home state if Illinois will just give them to him. He said winning is the single most important reason and our good start to this season certainly helps. My question is, if you believe what Klee says, what level of winning this season might get the job done? Certainly Sweet 16, but possibly higher?
If this team makes a sweet 16, they will start the season ranked in the top 10, even without Leonard. Egwu is not slouch and would step into that spot. Parker would have to take notice of Illinois.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:07 PM   #91
midastouch11
Quote:
Originally Posted by themudflap View Post
If this team makes a sweet 16, they will start the season ranked in the top 10, even without Leonard. Egwu is not slouch and would step into that spot. Parker would have to take notice of Illinois.
This team without Maniscalco and without Leonard probably doesn't have a winning record. I can't possibly see them as Top 10 to start next season.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:22 PM   #92
Combo
Quote:
Originally Posted by midastouch11 View Post
This team without Maniscalco and without Leonard probably doesn't have a winning record. I can't possibly see them as Top 10 to start next season.
I think you can't overstate the importance of adding Maniscalco to this team. I've always liked Tracy Abrams, but I don't think he was ready to come in and play 30+ minutes per game at a high level. And I don't think you want Paul playing more than spare minutes at PG.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:22 PM   #93
AK Illini
UofI Basketball..off the chain
Quote:
Originally Posted by midastouch11 View Post
Agree but seeing Abrams get lots of tic has made me cautiously optimistic about next season, senior DJ and Griffey don't hurt either.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 05:16 PM   #94
themudflap
This team would have seniors in BP, DJ, and TG as starters. TA is a player and will be as good or better than Sam. He does stuff Sam cannot. Egwu is no slouch and will improve a bunch. Just like ML did. The whole bench is back. Make a S16 run and they start out very high.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 05:29 PM   #95
Chris Yates
Recruiting Correspondent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
I have not heard much about Paul Turner lately, but he has been accumulating quite a bit of high major offers in the past year or so.
I've always assumed that our interest in Paul Turner depends in large part upon what happens with Kendrick Nunn in 2013. It's similar to the situation with Darius Austin, who becomes very attractive if, but only if, we don't get Paul White. It's not a perfect analogy because Paul White and Darius Austin are both in the class of 2014, whereas Kendrick Nunn is a 2013 recruit and Paul Turner is a 2014 recruit. But I'm sure you get my point.

Old Dec 12, 2011, 05:33 PM   #96
Chris Yates
Recruiting Correspondent
Quote:
Originally Posted by themudflap View Post
This team would have seniors in BP, DJ, and TG as starters. TA is a player and will be as good or better than Sam. He does stuff Sam cannot. Egwu is no slouch and will improve a bunch. Just like ML did. The whole bench is back. Make a S16 run and they start out very high.
SamMan has the heart of a lion and he's money under pressure, but he's not an elite talent. Most of our young guys are MUCH more athletic than SamMan. So what we lose in experience, we gain in athleticism when SamMan leaves. And by next season, our roster will be much more experienced, so we ought to be able to thrive even without SamMan. Meyers Leonard, on the other hand, is pretty much irreplaceable. If he leaves after this season, it will be a significant hit to next season's squad.

Old Dec 12, 2011, 05:45 PM   #97
Chris Yates
Recruiting Correspondent
FWIW, there's no reason whatsoever to be concerned about our recruiting classes in 2013 and 2014 because it's such a target-rich environment. The dream scenario includes Jalen James, Malcolm Hill, Kendrick Nunn, and Jabari Parker in 2013. (I'm assuming Meyers Leonard will be gone so we'll have four to give in 2013.) The more likely outcome in 2013 involves James, Hill, a rock-solid 4, and the best other recruit available (which could be a point guard, or a scoring 2-guard, or even a true center).

It's still too early to tell about the class of 2014, but I'm not confident that we're going to land either one of the two in-state monsters - Okafor and Alexander. I feel pretty good about Paul White, though, and he would be one heck of a way to start that three-man class.

The only problem is that the B1G is upgrading talent at a breakneck pace. It's beginning to look like the B1G will return to the glory days of the late 1980s and early 2000s with the massive influx of elite talent. IU is putting together back-to-back monster classes, Michigan State is going to be as good in 2013 as any team in the country talent-wise (they're going to have Gary Harris and, in all likelihood, Drake Harris running the wings together and Adriean Payne in the middle ), and Ohio State is . . . well . . . Ohio State, one of the premier destinations for five-star talent.

Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:11 PM   #98
Serious Late
Location: Ann Arbor via Albuquerque via Chicago via Champaign via Peoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Yates View Post
FWIW, there's no reason whatsoever to be concerned about our recruiting classes in 2013 and 2014 because it's such a target-rich environment. The dream scenario includes Jalen James, Malcolm Hill, Kendrick Nunn, and Jabari Parker in 2013. (I'm assuming Meyers Leonard will be gone so we'll have four to give in 2013.) The more likely outcome in 2013 involves James, Hill, a rock-solid 4, and the best other recruit available (which could be a point guard, or a scoring 2-guard, or even a true center).

It's still too early to tell about the class of 2014, but I'm not confident that we're going to land either one of the two in-state monsters - Okafor and Alexander. I feel pretty good about Paul White, though, and he would be one heck of a way to start that three-man class.

The only problem is that the B1G is upgrading talent at a breakneck pace. It's beginning to look like the B1G will return to the glory days of the late 1980s and early 2000s with the massive influx of elite talent. IU is putting together back-to-back monster classes, Michigan State is going to be as good in 2013 as any team in the country talent-wise (they're going to have Gary Harris and, in all likelihood, Drake Harris running the wings together and Adriean Payne in the middle ), and Ohio State is . . . well . . . Ohio State, one of the premier destinations for five-star talent.
Man! And to think I thought Malcolm Hill was the start of a great class, I can't even imagine how good you think it will be if Malcolm isn't considered a great start!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:13 PM   #99
Illini70math
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Late View Post
Man! And to think I thought Malcolm Hill was the start of a great class, I can't even imagine how good you think it will be if Malcolm isn't considered a great start!
He was talking about the 2014 class. Malcolm is in the 2013 class, IIRC.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:41 PM   #100
Combo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Yates View Post

Well, if we're not getting Okafor or Alexander in the '14 class, it would behoove us to get a solid big in the '13 class (as well as looking for bigs other than those two in '14). What a shame those two don't seem that interested in Illinois. Maybe a couple of impressive seasons will change their minds?
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »