Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

Rumor: Jimmy John Liautaud could be looking at funding Illinois' jump from club to DI hockey

Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:32 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Talk in club hockey says that Jimmy John's founder Jimmy John Liautaud could be looking at funding Illinois' jump from club to DI hockey.

Jimmy John's is headquartered in Champaign, Ill., also the home of the University of Illinois. Liautaud is a native of Illinois.

The Illini have played in the ACHA national tournament in 13 of the past 15 years. Illinois won the national title in 2005.

http://twitter.com/LetsPlay_Hockey
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:33 AM   #2
uiba99
Tiny Illini
That. Would. Be. Awesome.

"The danger is all around us now. Hatred is rising, yet all sides feel more virtuous. We’re asleep to the threat. We can have the most sophisticated Constitution, a brilliant system of checks and balances and a Bill of Rights to safeguard against the tyranny of the majority — yet none of it can stand against the power of hatred."
Fr. John I. Jenkins, President, University of Notre Dame
uiba99 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:34 AM   #3
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
I don't like hockey, but I would watch Illinois play it.

I knew all those flights out of Champaign to major D1 hockey towns meant something. Maybe it was Jimmy John and MT!
illynifan34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:33 PM   #4
DrewD007
That'd be great. Maybe that has something to do with the new Ice Arena thing that went out a while back.
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2011, 02:30 PM   #5
carmelillini
Hope this is true. Maybe we all promise to buy an extra JJ sub weekly would seal the deal.
carmelillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2011, 02:54 PM   #6
ilphotog
The camera never lies
I love Jimmy John's Sandwiches!
ilphotog is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2011, 09:55 AM   #7
Thacher_H_Guild
If he "funds" it without doing so in perpetuity (along with the additional women's sport that would be required under current rules), I'd be against this because it would be committing to a long term cost at a time of diminishing resources.

If they are talking about enough money to do it forever, that would probably be okay.

But if one has that much money to give the the DIA, my own opinion is that it would be better spent trying to give money to the football program to put it on more even footing with the big boys. (Sort of a mini version of T Boone Pickens at Okie State.)
Thacher_H_Guild is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:19 AM   #8
johncu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thacher_H_Guild View Post
If he "funds" it without doing so in perpetuity (along with the additional women's sport that would be required under current rules), I'd be against this because it would be committing to a long term cost at a time of diminishing resources.
Div 1 hockey would require 18 mens scholarships, or their equivalence in partial rides. A women's rowing team (20) would offset that, or some combination of other sports. It has become popular, mostly as a way to quickly add (w) numbers.
johncu is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2011, 06:28 PM   #9
carmelillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thacher_H_Guild View Post

If they are talking about enough money to do it forever, that would probably be okay.

But if one has that much money to give the the DIA, my own opinion is that it would be better spent trying to give money to the football program to put it on more even footing with the big boys. (Sort of a mini version of T Boone Pickens at Okie State.)
Cmon Guild, nothing better in person than a hockey game. Bag tennis and sign up some slapshotters!
carmelillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2011, 09:03 PM   #10
Thacher_H_Guild
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelillini View Post
Cmon Guild, nothing better in person than a hockey game. Bag tennis and sign up some slapshotters!
Yup, I love hockey.

But it's an expensive one to run as a varsity sport. And at the D1 level is comes with 18 scholarships (spread over no more than 30 guys). Men's tennis is only 4.5. If you wanted to add hockey without adding a women's sport, you'd need to do something like cut tennis (4.5), golf (4.5), and wrestling (9.9). Or baseball and wrestling.

I don't think any of those would be popular cuts. Adding hockey would almost certainly mean having to add at least one women's sport. The idea of a women's rowing team practicing in the boneyard is amusing...

Like I said, I am okay with it if it's really fully funding what it will cost forever, but I suspect that's not really what's on the table, and I think the two revenue sports are being asked to cover a lot already, and it would be better to put more resources into them (particularly football) to make sure they are as strong as possible.

That's just my opinion.
Thacher_H_Guild is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 01:01 PM   #11
IlliniKat91
I'm all for this. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
IlliniKat91 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:03 PM   #12
illiniobserver22
Maybe Liautaud can be our T. Boone Pickens...

I'm sure he's extraordinarily wealthy by now. Jimmy John's is awesome. Glad to hear he's an Illini fan.
illiniobserver22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2011, 09:33 PM   #13
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Breaking News: Illinois may be adding D1 hockey, funded by Jimmy John's founder. Stay tuned... #Illini #NCAAHockey #ACHA #SandwichesFast

http://twitter.com/USCollegeHockey
Dan is offline Reply With Quote