Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Bruce Weber on the Hot Seat - Possible Coaching Replacements

Closed Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:02 PM   #951
hermie1985
Or you know exactly what your house is worth and price it accordingly. I imagine he wants top dollar and will get it.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:04 PM   #952
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightingillini18 View Post
In all fairness, I'm pretty sure both Semerau and Jackson both graduated but were not given a 5th year.
As you, and others, have stated, both graduated in 4 years, decided to not use a 5th year of eligibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cea73 View Post
C.J. Jackson Earns PacWest Player Of The Week Honor

Phoenix (1/3/10) – HPU senior forward C.J. Jackson (Buena Vista, Georgia) was selected as the Pacific West Conference Men’s Basketball Player of the Week. The honor was Jackson’s first of the season, and was given for games contested from December 28-January 3.

Wrong. Here is the proof. Found on this board. Will get back to you on Semerau. But pretty sure he left Illinois. We get back to whether you are right or wrong on that one.
C.J. Jackson may have been the worst example to use and he kept going back and forth between basketball and football. He decided to pursue football. It was his decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cea73 View Post
Commenting strictly on Jerrance Howards comment the Bruce Graduates players. How old are you? Simpson went to Memphis not Kansas. Carwell went to San Diego St.
Get your facts straight. It makes it a lot easier to reply.
Actually, Stan Simpson went to John A. Logan Community College before going onto Memphis this season.

I can't find the link now, but he was quoted (maybe in a HQ article) that he regretted not spending enough time in the class room and taking it seriously. It is well documented he enjoyed spending his time out at the bars and missed a ton of classes here.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:05 PM   #953
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Lemonier View Post
Absolutely agree. We would probably start in the 1.8 range and hopefully meet at 2 or 2.1. I doubt he is going to get 2.5 from us barring another huge NCAA Run
If they do not win the CAA, then VCU won't even be in the NCAAs again thsi season. As of now, they are not the favorites to win the CAA.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:06 PM   #954
Zeilejr
What about Jay Wright

Nova has struggled this year but he's good. The big east is falling apart he might take it.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:08 PM   #955
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
If they do not win the CAA, then VCU won't even be in the NCAAs again thsi season. As of now, they are not the favorites to win the CAA.
That's going to be a tough conference tourney. They may very well not make it. I'm torn on what to root for. If they don't make it, he may be a bit more affordable, but if they did make it again his profile could be raised higher with recruits
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:10 PM   #956
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeilejr View Post
Nova has struggled this year but he's good. The big east is falling apart he might take it.
He is an eastern guy not sure Illinois would be that enticing for him
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:12 PM   #957
Kramer116
As of now, the 3 guys I like, in no particular order, but all seem to be most realistic:

- Shaka Smart
- Gregg Marshall
- Craig Robinson
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:13 PM   #958
Kramer116
VCU and Northern Iowa starting the 2nd half up.

VCU really pressures on defense, but Northern Iowa is shooting 63% or something and has 44 points at half.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:20 PM   #959
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
VCU and Northern Iowa starting the 2nd half up.

VCU really pressures on defense, but Northern Iowa is shooting 63% or something and has 44 points at half.
For obvious reasons they look a lot like Mizzou on O and D

Last edited by I Hate Lemonier; Feb 17, 2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:23 PM   #960
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
As of now, the 3 guys I like, in no particular order, but all seem to be most realistic:

- Shaka Smart
- Gregg Marshall
- Craig Robinson
All are affordable.

Smart 1.2 million

Marshall 900,000

Robinson 950,000
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:25 PM   #961
FinalFour88
Quote:

- Shaka Smart
- Gregg Marshall
- Craig Robinson
I like Marshall, but for Illinois, I don't like the fact that he has no Big Ten or Midwest ties. (I believe he's from South Carolina orginally). This could negatively effect him in recruiting.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:29 PM   #962
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
I'm actually mellow, win or lose. I wasn't always like this. In '89 when effin Shawn Higgens got the rebound and putback I went ballistic.

Eventually my Illini wife convinced me that I really should not let the success or failure of other athletes affect my mood so drastically.

The first time my wife and I had a "date" was for a saturday afternoon Illini basketball game. I can't remember who they played but I know it was 40 years ago, 1972, and the Ohio Nicks (Weatherspoon and Conner) were the leaders. I was so happy the Illini won that I continued to see my "date;" the woman I eventually married. So, all my personal happiness in life goes back to Illini basketball, I guess.
Great story. The Fighting Illini--the source of all happiness and good things . . .
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:29 PM   #963
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalFour88 View Post
I like Marshall, but for Illinois, I don't like the fact that he has no Big Ten or Midwest ties. (I believe he's from South Carolina orginally). This could negatively effect him in recruiting.
Agreed. At this point in history after Weber, after the BOT has spoken, the apathy that has overcome the program I don't think Marshall is a good fit. Not because he isn't a good coach just the timing is not good
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:30 PM   #964
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow
Quote:
All are affordable.

Smart 1.2 million

Marshall 900,000

Robinson 950,000
Hold up. Affordability has nothing to do with what they make now. You have to factor market, demands, and buyout. Weber's buyout is given and fixed. Everything else is in flux depending on the candidate.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:32 PM   #965
ryls
Banned
Quote:
All are affordable.

Smart 1.2 million

Marshall 900,000

Robinson 950,000

All are affordable but other than maybe Smart, they are not any better, maybe worse particularly Robinson unless he could recruit off the charts which I doubt. Just curious do most people want Weber gone to improve recruiting or because he can't coach and in any replacement the new guy would have to better. You can't fire him for an average coach.

Last edited by ryls; Feb 17, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:33 PM   #966
cea73
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
How about a willingness to get off your very high horse. Overall, Weber has done a terrific job graduating players. Yes, a few players have transferred but that happens at every school.

Illinois had one of the top graduation rates for NCAA tournament teams in 2011 (100% Graduation Success Rate). Students who are in good academic standing when they transfer from a school do not count against the GSR. So every basketball player who stayed for at least four years graduated.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_1...duation-rates/

Our most recent basketball multi-year APR was 964, with the national average being 945. We tied for 6th in the Big 10, with schools ranging from 995 (PSU and MSU) to 929 (IU).
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/newmedia/pub...es/index5.html

Weber has his shortcomings, but getting players to attend class and graduate isn't one of them.
High Horse?? I believe I just listed the facts. Those are the players who have left. Go back before Weber and let me know how many left under Henson, Krueger, and Self. Before you start the name calling. You act like I personally attacked you. Get a grip. I would say that is quite a few players.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:35 PM   #967
FinalFour88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryls View Post
All are affordable but other than maybe Smart, they are not any better, maybe worse particularlyRobinson unless he could recruit off the charts which I doubt. Just curious do most people want Weber gone to improve recruiting or because he can't coach and in any replacement the new guy would have to better. You can't fire him for an average coach.
I don't think many Illini fans think that just anyone would be better than Weber. Most fans are hoping (and expecting) Thomas to make a splash with this hire. Someone like a Shaka Smart, a hot young coach on the rise (ala, dare I say, Bill Self circa early 2000s).
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:35 PM   #968
cea73
Banned
Quote:
As you, and others, have stated, both graduated in 4 years, decided to not use a 5th year of eligibility.

C.J. Jackson may have been the worst example to use and he kept going back and forth between basketball and football. He decided to pursue football. It was his decision.

Actually, Stan Simpson went to John A. Logan Community College before going onto Memphis this season.

I can't find the link now, but he was quoted (maybe in a HQ article) that he regretted not spending enough time in the class room and taking it seriously. It is well documented he enjoyed spending his time out at the bars and missed a ton of classes here.
But we can agree, he ended up at Memphis. Yes?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:35 PM   #969
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow
Quote:
Agreed. At this point in history after Weber, after the BOT has spoken, the apathy that has overcome the program I don't think Marshall is a good fit. Not because he isn't a good coach just the timing is not good
Agree with both of you. He's a proven winner and has demonstrated he can build a program. But he's an outsider in the Midwest and he'd struggle in Chicago, I think. Like it or not, the race issue is a big factor and it needs to be considered very thoughtfully. I want us to get the best available guy, but I also want the University to take this very important factor into consideration.

If he's interested and we can afford it, Shaka Smart seems to offer everthing MT would be looking for, while Brad Stevens would offer everything save one.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:37 PM   #970
Jcool
Banned
Quote:

- Shaka Smart
- Gregg Marshall
- Craig Robinson
Really? I guess your figuring each recruit will get a special message from Barack Obama...
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:38 PM   #971
FinalFour88
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFever View Post
Agree with both of you. He's a proven winner and has demonstrated he can build a program. But he's an outsider in the Midwest and he'd struggle in Chicago, I think. Like it or not, the race issue is a big factor and it needs to be considered very thoughtfully. I want us to get the best available guy, but I also want the University to take this very important factor into consideration.

If he's interested and we can afford it, Shaka Smart seems to offer everthing MT would be looking for, while Brad Stevens would offer everything save one.
Without a doubt, Marshall has a very bright future. He'll be coaching in a power conference soon enough, and I think he'll do well. It just probably shouldn't be at Illinois, through no fault of his own.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:42 PM   #972
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcool View Post
Really? I guess your figuring each recruit will get a special message from Barack Obama...
Check out Robinson, read up on him a bit.

He is a very, very impressive individual. He has a very unique story.

Very, very well respected in Chicago. Would be a hit not only with the basketball community in Chicago, but also with the donors and the business world there. He knows how to relate and lead people. He has been a CEO in business and a CEO in college basketball.

Oregon State offers zero financial assistance, no one cares there. He has raised the profile there, they have been absolutely terrible for 25+ years.

He may be a dark horse candidate, but he meets a lot of the criteria necessary and I think, of any of those candidates I listed (Smart, Marshall, Robinson), he would be the one recruiting Chicago best (at least initially). I think Smart has a lot of potential to recruit Chicago, but Robinson would hit the ground running.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:42 PM   #973
dansaint
watching this VCU/Northern Iowa game...I really love Shaka's 2-1-2 Full Court Press. Getting a lot of turnovers. They are getting beat also on some good passing and just some mental lapses...but this defense with the athletes Illinois can get will be a lot of fun. Plus Shaka also seems to have good control on his offense and lets the guys plays while also being under control.

Northern Iowa's coach...in a couple years...i think could be getting some calls from some power conferences.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:44 PM   #974
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansaint View Post
watching this VCU/Northern Iowa game...I really love Shaka's 2-1-2 Full Court Press. Getting a lot of turnovers. They are getting beat also on some good passing and just some mental lapses...but this defense with the athletes Illinois can get will be a lot of fun. Plus Shaka also seems to have good control on his offense and lets the guys plays while also being under control.

Northern Iowa's coach...in a couple years...i think could be getting some calls from some power conferences.
Agree, and Dan Dakich keeps talking about how Smart has that personality that just gets people to gravitate towards him.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:44 PM   #975
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcool View Post
Fellas, share the basketball, we're talking wealth re-distribution here . . .
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »