Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

10/30 News & Notes

Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:35 AM   #26
TooHot4Tots
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJKobs View Post
I've counted a handful of times when Hawthorne had his hands on a potential INT but dropped the ball. What makes you think he wouldn't do the same if playing WR?
Its about putting a playmaker at WR in order to give Def a different look in hopes to open something else up. Really not hard to grasp.
TooHot4Tots is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:36 AM   #27
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooHot4Tots View Post
You gave the injury excuse. And thats really just an excuse. If he can play CB and KR/PR then he is healthy enough to play WR especially when the coaches said this would happen. Hoping to hear more excuses.
KR/PR is much less demanding than practicing and playing WR. The coaches told us a long time ago that they weren't playing him at WR as anticipated because he had too many nagging injuries. They needed him to stay healthy at CB. Given where we are in the season, I would rather we played the younger WR if possible to help develop a few guys for the future.

Quote:
Its about putting a playmaker at WR in order to give Def a different look in hopes to open something else up. Really not hard to grasp.
It isn't going to open much up if he can't run good routes, get separation and catch the ball. Just because Hawthorne is fast, that doesn't mean he is going to be an effective WR.

Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:36 AM   #28
KJKobs
Quote:
He needs to catch the ball to be a playmaker at WR, correct?

He hasn't quite wowed the masses with his ability to catch passes thrown right at him this year while on defense.

Really not hard to grasp either.

Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:38 AM   #29
TooHot4Tots
Quote:
He needs to catch the ball to be a playmaker at WR, correct?

He hasn't quite wowed the masses with his ability to catch passes thrown right at him this year while on defense.

Really not hard to grasp either.
Still hard to grasp I see. Because you put him out there does not mean he will be targeted every time. We have enough people dropping passes. Playmaker is exactly what the coach used when at Rantoul.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:40 AM   #30
TooHot4Tots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
KR/PR is much less demanding than practicing and playing WR. The coaches told us a long time ago that they weren't playing him at WR as anticipated because he had too many nagging injuries. They needed him to stay healthy at CB. Given where we are in the season, I would rather we played the younger WR if possible to help develop a few guys for the future.

It isn't going to open much up if he can't run good routes, get separation and catch the ball. Just because Hawthorne is fast, that doesn't mean he is going to be an effective WR.
It was said first game he tweaked an ankle so he wouldnt play then, but would down the road. At least try it. Same can be said for playing young guys at CB, especially with the season we have on our hands. You make as many cuts at CB as WR. So whats the excuse with Davis? Love to hear this one.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:42 AM   #31
Groundhogday
Quote:
Still hard to grasp I see. Because you put him out there does not mean he will be targeted every time. We have enough people dropping passes. Playmaker is exactly what the coach used when at Rantoul.
So you think that we can get defenses to double cover Hawthorne and open up the field for other WR even if he can't catch the ball? The ol' let's trick them into loading up on a guy who hasn't even practiced at WR or played the position for four years approach? Gosh, I'm sure no B1G defensive coordinator would figure out that Hawthorne was just a decoy.

Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:43 AM   #32
quhawks12
So...Osei is exclusively a WR?? BUT HE'S THE BEST QB ON THE TEAM
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:44 AM   #33
quhawks12
Quote:
#illini TE Jon Davis: "I wouldn't say just injuries. I had a big game against (WMU). I can't really say what caused the decline of that."

http://twitter.com/WernerESPNCU
Let me help you with this Jon. The cause is...THE COACH IS NOT GIVING YOU THE BALL LIKE HE WAS IN GAME 1.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:45 AM   #34
Groundhogday
Quote:
It was said first game he tweaked an ankle so he wouldnt play then, but would down the road. At least try it. Same can be said for playing young guys at CB, especially with the season we have on our hands. You make as many cuts at CB as WR. So whats the excuse with Davis? Love to hear this one.
What the heck does any of this have to do with Davis?

The fact is that if Hawthorne was going to play WR, he would need to practice at that position. That would mean a lot more reps (offense and defense) both in practice and in games. And at this point in the season, it probably doesn't make sense to work Hawthorne into that side of the ball. If they could have had Hawthorne work on offense from Rantoul forward, then perhaps he would have been effective at some point during the season. But you can't expect to flop him over in practice one week and make an impact.

So many things to worry about with this team and seeing Hawthorne play WR really isn't at the top of the list.

Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:46 AM   #35
KJKobs
Quote:
Ahh yes, coach speak from Rantoul. We all see how good that has worked this year. :laugh:

As GHD mentioned above, it makes more sense to get the younger WR corp some more catches (Hardee, Knight, Rock, etc) as we look to the future.

Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:46 AM   #36
KJKobs
Quote:
So many things to worry about with this team and seeing Hawthorne play WR really isn't at the top of the list.
This.

Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:46 AM   #37
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynifan34 View Post
It would seem Jon Davis has a legitimate complaint, not sure why he doesn't get the ball more, either via pass (no protection for long developing routes) or via the run (piss poor run blocking)..
I'd say so. Considering he basically was a 1 man show in week 1. He brought something different that made other teams worry. I'd be willing to bet that when we went to ASU and Davis never got the ball...and NEVER EVEN LINED UP IN THE BACKFIELD...they were shocked because THAT PART OF OUR OFFENSE ACTUALLY WORKED IN WEEK 1.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:51 AM   #38
Groundhogday
Quote:
As GHD mentioned above, it makes more sense to get the younger WR corp some more catches (Hardee, Knight, Rock, etc) as we look to the future.
I also think it makes sense to give Spence and Bentley more snaps at CB, particularly when Hawthorne is making bone-headed plays.

Mike Leach went with a big youth movement at WSU earlier this season because he didn't like the attitude of the upperclassmen (threw them under the bus publicly.) That probably cost WSU a game or two early in the season, but surprisingly, they are now starting to play competitively in a tough Pac12 league.

Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:58 AM   #39
quhawks12
Us never seeing Jon Davis in the backfield (an offensive formation that actually worked) since week 1 proves that this staff has something wrong with it. I don't know what it is. I just don't. But you have a guy who was all over the field and by lining him up all over the field it makes defenses say, "where's #3?" "point at #3" "who's got #3?"

This is how you get defenses confused and prepare for something they see and may or may not see. NOT lining up a DB at WR. The fact we haven't seen Davis doing this is mind boggling.

I understand week 2 when Davis was "dinged up". But it doesn't mean you can't move him around like you did against WMU. He was at RB, TE, H-Back, split out wide and in the slot. If he's dinged up still move him around...hell ASU had no idea he was dinged up because we don't talk about injuries. So move him around and play action off him being in the backfield. In fact, my 1st play of the ASU game would have had Davis in the backfield and I would have play actioned to Davis and thrown one downfield (we probably would have been sacked but at least it would have been somewhat of a practical play call). Because I guarantee you ASU was OVER prepared for Davis to be back there and would have been all over the run fake.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:58 AM   #40
quhawks12
Quote:
I also think it makes sense to give Spence and Bentley more snaps at CB, particularly when Hawthorne is making bone-headed plays.

Mike Leach went with a big youth movement at WSU earlier this season because he didn't like the attitude of the upperclassmen (threw them under the bus publicly.) That probably cost WSU a game or two early in the season, but surprisingly, they are now starting to play competitively in a tough Pac12 league.
Leach went total youth movement...what did he say...his seniors had zombie like work ethics or something??
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:11 PM   #41
KJKobs
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
Leach went total youth movement...what did he say...his seniors had zombie like work ethics or something??
Quote:
"I think it's mixed," said Leach of his team's senior leadership. "I think with some it's stellar... some of them have been great and some of them have been very poor. Some of them have had this zombie-like, go-through-the-motions, that's how it's always been and that's how it'll always be."

"Some of them, quite honestly, have an empty-corpse quality," he said.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...state/1622799/

Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:16 PM   #42
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Meyer says Tim Beckman is one of the bright young coaches and expects Illinois to succeed under him.

http://twitter.com/ESPN_BigTen
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:17 PM   #43
CaptainHindsight
TH to WR is not the magic solution to solving out problems on offense.
CaptainHindsight is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:19 PM   #44
CaptainHindsight
I hope the Urban Meyer has Beckman's back storyline doesn't turn into the Tom Izzo having Bruce Weber's back mess.
CaptainHindsight is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:24 PM   #45
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
Us never seeing Jon Davis in the backfield (an offensive formation that actually worked) since week 1 proves that this staff has something wrong with it. I don't know what it is. I just don't. But you have a guy who was all over the field and by lining him up all over the field it makes defenses say, "where's #3?" "point at #3" "who's got #3?"

This is how you get defenses confused and prepare for something they see and may or may not see. NOT lining up a DB at WR. The fact we haven't seen Davis doing this is mind boggling.

I understand week 2 when Davis was "dinged up". But it doesn't mean you can't move him around like you did against WMU. He was at RB, TE, H-Back, split out wide and in the slot. If he's dinged up still move him around...hell ASU had no idea he was dinged up because we don't talk about injuries. So move him around and play action off him being in the backfield. In fact, my 1st play of the ASU game would have had Davis in the backfield and I would have play actioned to Davis and thrown one downfield (we probably would have been sacked but at least it would have been somewhat of a practical play call). Because I guarantee you ASU was OVER prepared for Davis to be back there and would have been all over the run fake.
Agreed. With an offense sorely lacking in playmakers it makes little sense not to utilize the skilled ones we do have. Davis is a difference maker which teams have to account for. In our two wins Davis has:

7 Rushes for 54 yards 7.7ypc

3 Receptions for 26 yards 1 Touchdown

In our 6 losses:

0 Rushes

3 Receptions for 31 yards
I Hate Lemonier is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:37 PM   #46
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Lemonier View Post
Agreed. With an offense sorely lacking in playmakers it makes little sense not to utilize the skilled ones we do have. Davis is a difference maker which teams have to account for. In our two wins Davis has:

7 Rushes for 54 yards 7.7ypc

3 Receptions for 26 yards 1 Touchdown

In our 6 losses:

0 Rushes

3 Receptions for 31 yards
Just the preparation in practice that other teams have to use to prepare for him is big. And, now that I think about it, WTF!! TE is our deepest most talented position and they have done crap to get them the ball.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:42 PM   #47
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
Just the preparation in practice that other teams have to use to prepare for him is big. And, now that I think about it, WTF!! TE is our deepest most talented position and they have done crap to get them the ball.
I would say that due to our poor pass protection that maybe they have to stay in rather than go on routes. Honestly though i have not noticed them providing additional pass protection. Maybe someone who has watched replays can elaborate.
I Hate Lemonier is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:43 PM   #48
Dan
Admin
Hey why not! Here's a rough list (by no means complete I do not believe) of players sharing frustrations/unhappiness with the media this season-

Charleston Southern week
* 09/10 - Akeem Spence said there was a good deal of confusion regarding the defensive play calls vs ASU [link]
* 09/11 - Beckman said communication issues on D only lasted for about four plays vs ASU [link]

Louisiana Tech week
* 09/17 - Beckman said struggle with D communication for 4 plays against ASU. LB/DB Ashante Williams said it was the whole game. [link]

Penn State week
* 09/24 - Players have asked the defensive coaches to consider blitzing more [link]
* 09/26 - "According to people I've talked to at Illinois, arguments busted out on the sideline between players and coaches." [link]

Wisconsin postgame
* 10/06 - Donovonn Young: "It's hard to run the ball when you run the same plays over and over. We need to open up the playbook." [link]

Michigan week
* 10/08 - Jonathan Brown admitted change has been hard. Trying to get back to the fun of playing football. [link]

Ohio State week
* 10/30 - Jon Davis not sure why his touches have declined post-WMU game. [link]

Last edited by Dan; Oct 30, 2012 at 12:50 PM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:43 PM   #49
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Lemonier View Post
I would say that due to our poor pass protection that maybe they have to stay in rather than go on routes. Honestly though i have not noticed them providing additional pass protection. Maybe someone who has watched replays can elaborate.
That is true. But they haven't been doing a good job of that then either This offense is just brutal. And the 1 thing we had going we haven't used in 7 games.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:50 PM   #50
IlliniByProxy
Correct me if I'm wrong but the main focus for the TE's over the last few games has been to chip the pass rush in order to give N.S. a few seconds longer in the pocket. Hasn't seemed to work yet but that's the way it appears to me.

EDIT: ^^^ Looks like you guys beat me to that point lol.
IlliniByProxy is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »