Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois 89, St. Francis (NY) 64 POSTGAME

Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:26 AM   #101
DG1985
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyalillini10 View Post
This is not the first time I have heard this complaint. I have been watching and attending Illinois home games for several years and this is nothing new. Mike Cation is not the only Illinois home announcer to have this "style." I do not understand the complaining; it pumps up the crowd and the players. Personally, I have always enjoyed it.
I also find it annoying. I don't think the call pumps up anyone. The play itself is what pumps people up. I'm not sure why an announcer thinks he has to be a cheerleader like that.

I also hated the first down call from Shepherd.

I think the announcers can have some fun during the starting lineup announcements. beyond that, they add nothing to the excitement.
DG1985 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:35 AM   #102
illiniCA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini70math View Post
Don't let the euphoria get totally out of hand!

How can they not be successful?

1. When our threes don't fall at 43.6% like they have been in our first two games.

2. When we play teams that actually have as much or more talent than we do.

Over the long haul, Coach Groce should be able to recruit with anyone, but there will be a lot of games where this type of attack will not be so much fun. See the West Chester game against a weak opponent. When you only hit about 25% from three, you don't look nearly as good. Do that against a solid opponent like Iowa or Northwestern or Purdue or Minny or PSU, and we may not be having so much fun. Keep it real.

We are improving, but these are not great teams we are playing.
You are right on I am looking for 3 things from this team/season.

1. A deep bench where we no longer rely 3 or 4 guys to score.

2. Improvement finishing around the rim.

3. Development from Nnanna Egwu down low.

If those 3 things improve of the course of the year and the team is better in march than they are today I will consider this a very successful season.
illiniCA is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:36 AM   #103
80sBelongToTheIllini
Watching the first few games, especially last night, it's clear to me the reasons for vast improvement. The players seem to be completely prepared to play by the practice routine (thus breeding confidence). Also, the coach is not screaming like a complete lunatic on every play on the sideline, stealing away their confidence. This coach let's them play, not micromanaging every second of the game.

Lastly, thanks McColley, I've watched the complete post game pressers. Groce realizes he is building something up and avoids the negativity so not to drain the positive energy (fun) that is occurring right now. I never did understand the "throw players under the bus comments (especially McCamey) even when we won the game.

Maybe this is simplifying things too much, but at least to me, players are playing with confidence and with fun and enthusiasm. There has to be a reason.

Last edited by 80sBelongToTheIllini; Nov 13, 2012 at 07:42 AM.
80sBelongToTheIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:49 AM   #104
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
You don't turn down the invite to Maui, Groce won't do that in the future, helps you build a resume and the kids (recruits) love it. It is the extra game out there @Hawaii you don't want. Teams that play in the Maui Invitational and play @Hawaii don't normally do well in either endeavor.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

illynifan34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:51 AM   #105
mytwocents
John Groce is very good in the post-game interview! You can almost see the wheels turning with him and his wheels are turning extremely fast. He wants to get better as a coach every day and he expects his players to do the same.
mytwocents is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:55 AM   #106
Illini20
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynifan34 View Post
You don't turn down the invite to Maui, Groce won't do that in the future, helps you build a resume and the kids (recruits) love it. It is the extra game out there @Hawaii you don't want. Teams that play in the Maui Invitational and play @Hawaii don't normally do well in either endeavor.
Not to discredit your post, but do you have a few specific instances of teams struggling against Hawaii and at Maui?

Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:03 AM   #107
AK Illini
UofI Basketball..off the chain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
Totally agree, and obviously the losses are going to start to come soon.

I fully expect we will lose our fair share of games this season, and I am ok with that as long as we play aggressive and attacking. I know we will not shoot 40+% from 3FG all season long.

We are going to have some real clunkers at some point where we can't make a shot. It is still a concern that we are not finishing very well at the basket. We can't leave those easy points (layups) off the scoreboard. We need to convert better there.

I think if we continue to play aggressive and continue to attack, we can really surprise a few teams this year. Based on the apparent offensive model for this team, I think we can really beat any team in B1G play, but we can lose to any team too if our shooting is off.
Last night was the first time I saw a team that looks markedly different than Weber's teams…there's probably a learning curve in play here so hopefully it's the beginning of a rapid buy in. It got to the point where Weber's system had become so predictable that it was probably a joy to scout against. But yeah, the 3's aren't going to keep falling like that. If we can maintain the attack mentality on display for 80% of last night's game, we could salvage a decent season but it's way too soon to tell.
AK Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:04 AM   #108
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini20 View Post
Not to discredit your post, but do you have a few specific instances of teams struggling against Hawaii and at Maui?
He doesn't because we are the only team to schedule that game in the last 10 years because it's a horrible idea.
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:10 AM   #109
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Well, he's said he wants more home games and he's going to keep the United Center game. The Braggin Rights deal just got extended. We've got the B1G/ACC Challenge game, plus you typically have to return a game for the United Center visit. That doesn't leave much room to get home games, the only option is to decline the exempt non-con tournaments and host them yourself instead. And it's my understanding that that's the plan. Maybe you do take a Maui invite when you get it, but you probably won't see us in any of the other lesser events for a while.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:28 AM   #110
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Well, he's said he wants more home games and he's going to keep the United Center game. The Braggin Rights deal just got extended. We've got the B1G/ACC Challenge game, plus you typically have to return a game for the United Center visit. That doesn't leave much room to get home games, the only option is to decline the exempt non-con tournaments and host them yourself instead. And it's my understanding that that's the plan. Maybe you do take a Maui invite when you get it, but you probably won't see us in any of the other lesser events for a while.
That's fine with me. I think you take Maui and the NIT. That's it.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:30 AM   #111
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
He doesn't because we are the only team to schedule that game in the last 10 years because it's a horrible idea.
Pretty much this.

I'll see if I can dig up any data.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:33 AM   #112
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Got a nice bump in the KenPom rankings today, FWIW. Moved up 9 spots to 48 from 57.

Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:34 AM   #113
ssgg
Banned
We aren't the only team to do this. He made that up. Hell, we even did it in 2007. Our trash team got a win that year. The coach's son went off on us.
ssgg is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:40 AM   #114
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Illinois 89, St. Francis 64: Griffey 'enjoying the ride'

Griffey finished with 17 points, one shy of the career high he set at Michigan last year, and displayed an array of skills he hasn't made use of since his days as a star at Lafayette High in Wildwood, Mo.

"It's been a while," Griffey said after being asked how long it's been since he's had this much fun playing the game. "I'm enjoying it, enjoying the ride, enjoying my last year and just taking it one step at a time. I feel so much better. It feels good to be out there."

Marcus Jackson
Quote:
Illini pleasing Groce...so far

Groce heaped praise on his seniors and captains for keeping the team focused on the job at hand.

"They did a phenomenal job of having our guys ready to play," said Groce, who praised his team's consistency in practice. "We had energy all three times we laced it up prior to tonight's tipoff.

"With the effort we're getting and the camaraderie and morale as a team and the way they are coachable and teachable, we have a chance to keep getting better."

Tupper
Quote:
Illinois 89 St Francis 64 Men's Basketball 2012

http://www.illinihq.com/multimedia/p...asketball-2012
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:43 AM   #115
IlliNYC
It's fine to stay realistic--and I don't anyone has their sights set much higher than a NCAA Tournament bid. But watching the team last night was FUN! Attacking basketball.

I believe we're at the start of something big--and I couldn't be happier with Coach Groce.
IlliNYC is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:45 AM   #116
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgg View Post
We aren't the only team to do this. He made that up. Hell, we even did it in 2007. Our trash team got a win that year. The coach's son went off on us.
2 teams have done it since 2001.

Illinois and Michigan State, it isn't smart to do it. We barely beat Hawaii and Michigan State in 2005 got manhandled by Hawaii.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:46 AM   #117
Illini70math
Actually, I think we played Hawaii and the Maui classic back in 2007-2008, and we beat Hawaii (tough game) and did well in the Maui classic that season. We stomped Arizona State (with Harden, IIRC) and Oklahoma State, both good teams, and lost to Duke. That was before the wheels came off for that team.
Illini70math is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:47 AM   #118
ssgg
Banned
Quote:
2 teams have done it since 2001.

Illinois and Michigan State, it isn't smart to do it. We barely beat Hawaii and Michigan State in 2005 got manhandled by Hawaii.
We aren't even the only team to do it this year. Miami is doing the same ahead of the Diamond Head Classic(edit, guess they host so perhaps not). And not to mention the lots of major conference teams who have played at Hawaii over the years. It's not something to throw a fit about. Kids are off class next week anyways.
ssgg is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:52 AM   #119
Illini20
Quote:
Pretty much this.

I'll see if I can dig up any data.
I agree with you I just didn't know if there were specific instances.

Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:58 AM   #120
illini73
I have noticed this before, but each time I see Paul's arm lengths my eyes pop out of my head. For someone 6'3-6'4 he seems to have a nice wingspan.

Anyone know what his wingspan/reach is? I don't know that I have ever seen a number on it.
illini73 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:02 AM   #121
Botb9
Realist
If you want history of teams that play at Hawaii and then play in the Maui Invitational, look no further than us and MSU in the last 7 years. Illinois played at Hawaii in 2007 and won by a slim margin, then took third in Maui, falling to Duke in the semifinals. MSU didn't fare as well, getting hammered at Hawaii while also taking third at Maui in 2005.

I didn't feel like looking back further than this, and the results of the Maui Invitational get a bit harder to find the further back you go. In any case, I think there is too small a sample size to say this is a terrible idea from the start.

Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:35 AM   #122
justsomedude
Quote:
That's fine with me. I think you take Maui and the NIT. That's it.
I'm disappointed we backed out of Atlantis next year, that would have had a better field than Maui.
justsomedude is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:43 AM   #123
DRS
Lets all relax about the schedule. From a basketball standpoint away to Hawaii is a very gettable game and we should schedule midmajor games in my opinion. This is an excellent test and it is better than another colgate heading into USC and Texas. It is a gradual step up to the big boys. I think we need this game as prep.
DRS is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:44 AM   #124
DRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomedude View Post
I'm disappointed we backed out of Atlantis next year, that would have had a better field than Maui.

Is that a recent occurance?
DRS is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:48 AM   #125
classof2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG1985 View Post
I also find it annoying. I don't think the call pumps up anyone. The play itself is what pumps people up. I'm not sure why an announcer thinks he has to be a cheerleader like that.

I also hated the first down call from Shepherd.

I think the announcers can have some fun during the starting lineup announcements. beyond that, they add nothing to the excitement.
The first down call from Shepherd was great, and so was the "That's a three" call. I wish they never would have let him go, he's way better than what we have now. On the other hand, our current guy is pretty tame compared to some NBA announcers who sound like WWE announcers. An extended "threeeeee" is nothing out of the ordinary for any announcer.
classof2016 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »