Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:37 PM   #17401
gordonbacon15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
Back from being banned. Thanks Jackman. Like I said before, I only pass on credible info that I am told. Good or bad. Now I'm going to stop wasting time arguing and spend more time talking Illini. Sorry, Dan.
Welcome back, BTF
Any news on the KBD front?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:40 PM   #17402
Hugh Jorgen
Banned
Quote:
Back from being banned. Thanks Jackman. Like I said before, I only pass on credible info that I am told. Good or bad. Now I'm going to stop wasting time arguing and spend more time talking Illini. Sorry, Dan.
Good to have you back...I like reading you and Ryan and Salty and Lincolnillini and illbasketfan's posts.

Still excited after the Colbert commitment, and trying not to get too excited about the possibility that KBD could be committing this week also.

IF, and that is a big IF, KBD commits to Illinois, what a full court press that will put on some high profile pg to join a fully formed team waiting for him to top it all off. It is the the IDEAL circumstances to try to lure an early commitment from a quality guard like Lyle, Zabo, or Austin.

They know who they will be playing with, how they will fit into the overall scheme, and above all, if they don't act quickly, they will be left out given the finite number of scholarships for '14. Could get exciting soon.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:47 PM   #17403
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonbacon15 View Post
Welcome back, BTF
Any news on the KBD front?
Thanks. Hearing some chatter, but nothing definite yet. With Colbert's commit only yesterday, I think we'll hear more later in the week.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:49 PM   #17404
dmac279
Quote:
I wondered where you were at, welcome bach
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:16 PM   #17405
robertgoulet
IL Board Resident Crooner
Quote:
Thanks. Hearing some chatter, but nothing definite yet. With Colbert's commit only yesterday, I think we'll hear more later in the week.
mmmm....BLTs.

Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:19 PM   #17406
kyontz
Quote:
Would it be fair to assume that Colbert's commitment would have very little to do with a KBD announcement if he was likely headed elsewhere?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:43 PM   #17407
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyontz View Post
Would it be fair to assume that Colbert's commitment would have very little to do with a KBD announcement if he was likely headed elsewhere?
Colbert and KBD have nothing to do with each other and has no effect either way. My point was that they aren't going to announce anything with KBD less than 24 hours after Colbert's commit and steal away any of his thunder.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:46 PM   #17408
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
Yes. I think they're mutually exclusive events, regardless of KBD's choice.

That said, I think the Colbert commitment strengthens our position w/KBD. Now he knows he's not going to be "stuck" at the 4 spot (please note, I'm not saying KBD won't ever play the 4, he'll be a 3/4, which should appeal to him).

Not rocket science, but good players want to play w/good players. Anything that makes us stronger helps recruiting. Colbert's pledge definitely makes us stronger. Our momentum is accelerating. Groce is really starting to roll. Loving it.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:28 PM   #17409
ILL in Iowa
Everything does seem to be bouncing the Illini's way right now. Not to be a downer but lets wait until this trip to Hawaii before we exclaim the great joy Illinois is playing with. I too play with great joy when I am dominating inferior competition. Like I said not trying to be a downer but let's not get too high so later we are not too low.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:31 PM   #17410
More Cowbell
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniobserver22 View Post
Drive up for a game and bring him with you. And during the car ride you can have a nice long talk about John Groce's offensive philosophy and Illinois' roster construction :laugh:

Last time I ran into him he just got back from visiting Roy at North Carolina. I will ask him a few questions next time I see him. It will be interesting to watch him this year.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:31 PM   #17411
Foggy Notion
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL in Iowa View Post
Everything does seem to be bouncing the Illini's way right now. Not to be a downer but lets wait until this trip to Hawaii before we exclaim the great joy Illinois is playing with. I too play with great joy when I am dominating inferior competition. Like I said not trying to be a downer but let's not get too high so later we are not too low.
But I like the high.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:56 PM   #17412
Dan
Admin
Malcolm Hill video interview
Quote:
Web bonus: Malcolm Hill interview: Illinois first 2013 commit sits down with Austin Kim to talk about Coach Groc... http://bit.ly/ZoRgTH

http://twitter.com/WCIA3News
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:01 PM   #17413
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Tomorrow I sign my letter of intent to the University of Illinois.! So blessed for this...thanks God.! #illinination

http://twitter.com/JaySwaveyy11
Quote:
@KNunnSG @Malcolmjets23 @JaySwaveyy11 @maverick_morgan bros y'all ready !? We taking everything by storm in 2013 #Illinination

http://twitter.com/ACole_13_CTMD
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:05 PM   #17414
Combo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
Yes. I think they're mutually exclusive events, regardless of KBD's choice.

That said, I think the Colbert commitment strengthens our position w/KBD. Now he knows he's not going to be "stuck" at the 4 spot (please note, I'm not saying KBD won't ever play the 4, he'll be a 3/4, which should appeal to him).

Not rocket science, but good players want to play w/good players. Anything that makes us stronger helps recruiting. Colbert's pledge definitely makes us stronger. Our momentum is accelerating. Groce is really starting to roll. Loving it.

I heartily agree with this. KBD now knows he has the chance to play as much SF as PF if he goes to Illinois. Like you, I think he'll play both spots if he comes to IL. At many schools, he'll be stuck exclusively at the 4 by necessity.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:08 PM   #17415
Illinifn79
Banned
Still very excited about this class and that doesnt include Rice who i think is way overlooked
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:10 PM   #17416
mdonsbach
Loved the Malcolm interview. Very well spoken and didn't give alot of cookie cutter answers.

I am way too emotionally involved in this team but I wouldn't have it any other way!

Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:10 PM   #17417
Illinifn79
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combo View Post
I heartily agree with this. KBD now knows he has the chance to play as much SF as PF if he goes to Illinois. Like you, I think he'll play both spots if he comes to IL. At many schools, he'll be stuck exclusively at the 4 by necessity.
Kbd is going to be my first one who i believe will be an Illini.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:11 PM   #17418
IlliniRunIn07
I like that the kids are excited about tomorrow. It's a big day for them, and they're not ignorant to the magnitude of the moment.

Also, is this the first year we are not sweating out whether a kid signs or not? Last year doesn't count.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:17 PM   #17419
stevo99
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post
I like that the kids are excited about tomorrow. It's a big day for them, and they're not ignorant to the magnitude of the moment.

Also, is this the first year we are not sweating out whether a kid signs or not? Last year doesn't count.

I'd imagine Groce has sold them on the magnitude of the moment. That this is the class that lays the foundation.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:26 PM   #17420
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
Just want to add...major kudos to Coach Ford for the Colbert commitment. Seems like Coach Groce has put together a stellar staff.

Also, that Always Be Closing photoshop of Groce is friggin' great.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:31 PM   #17421
illinisc
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post

Its not really like football where you have last minute changes on if a recruit signs. Usually high school basketball players will decommit weeks/months in advance.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:31 PM   #17422
AzIlliniFan
Just watched the M Hill interview. He seems like a great kid. All of our incoming class seem to be personable young men and eager to get here. I think as a fan you'd have to pretty much be dead to not feel at least a little excitement about how things are going.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:35 PM   #17423
illinisc
I keep forgetting how young Malcolm Hill is. If he didn't skip a grade I wonder if he'd be a top 20 player for the 2014 class. He could be a real steal for us.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:38 PM   #17424
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinisc View Post
Its not really like football where you have last minute changes on if a recruit signs. Usually high school basketball players will decommit weeks/months in advance.
+1. I can't remember any basketball commit that we were sweating it out the night before.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:40 PM   #17425
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinisc View Post
I keep forgetting how young Malcolm Hill is. If he didn't skip a grade I wonder if he'd be a top 20 player for the 2014 class. He could be a real steal for us.
He probably could have been, I feel like skipping a grade when you are pursuing a sports career its a bad idea, essentially putting yourself at a disadvantage.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »