Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:19 AM   #17726
ctblaisdell83
Hey, Dan. Been wondering how I can become a donor....went around the site and didn't see anything. Been enjoying the site for a while and feel guilty I haven't done anything til now. I'm guessing there are others similarly appreciative for IL.

Where do I go to contribute?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:19 AM   #17727
Letswinagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblaisdell83 View Post
How about Fast 5?

Has anyone suggested "First Five" yet? They are Coach Groce's First Five Freshmen.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:30 AM   #17728
whitesxfan2012
Orange & Blue tweety bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniparkie View Post
I just got the IlliniHQ magazine in the mail and Matt Daniels, their recruiting writer, had an interesting interview with Dave Telep, the ESPN writer. Two things stood out to me. One, Demetrius Jackson's decision on where to attend college was extremely difficult to make. Our staff did a great job with him even if it didn't turn out like we wanted. Two, Telep says the staff will be in a battle for Joel Berry, a five-star 2014 point guard from Florida, in addition to JaQuan Lyle. I haven't heard that Joel is on our radar and he has been offered by top programs around the country. Looks like our staff is not afraid to go head to head with the bluebloods. I like it. Unfortunately, I can't link the article since it is in the magazine.
I looked up everything I could in regards to Illinois being linked to the recruitment of Joel Berry and came up empty.
It will be interesting to hear if Salty, BTF, Lincoln, or anyone else has further info on this article by IlliniHQ. I think looking @ his videos, that would be an enormous get, all be it a long shot @ best. But, still...lock him up Coach!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:37 AM   #17729
Indicchief
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniparkie View Post
I just got the IlliniHQ magazine in the mail and Matt Daniels, their recruiting writer, had an interesting interview with Dave Telep, the ESPN writer. Two things stood out to me. One, Demetrius Jackson's decision on where to attend college was extremely difficult to make. Our staff did a great job with him even if it didn't turn out like we wanted. Two, Telep says the staff will be in a battle for Joel Berry, a five-star 2014 point guard from Florida, in addition to JaQuan Lyle. I haven't heard that Joel is on our radar and he has been offered by top programs around the country. Looks like our staff is not afraid to go head to head with the bluebloods. I like it. Unfortunately, I can't link the article since it is in the magazine.
Very, very nice to hear that!!!!

I have been wondering why Groce and Berry have not been mentioned in the same sentence. Apparently they have been - under the radar - till now.

So, now my wish lists would look like:

KBD + Joel Berry + Lyle. With Cliff as an option. [Fireworks]
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:41 AM   #17730
Indicchief
Banned
Groce grabs 5-player recruiting haul

Quote:
I think it bodes well for the future, and Groce said as much during Wednesday’s teleconference from Honolulu, when he said word of mouth from these current recruits is already helping with players who will be a part of future classes
I wonder if he means to specifically include CA and perhaps some others in the Chicago area.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:05 AM   #17731
AZHOHoops
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzIlliniFan View Post
Im in Chandler, BanananShampoo is in Ahwatukee. I'm heading East Tuesday morning for Thanksgiving in Austin, TX and then on to Salem, Illinois for Christmas. Be back in January. Already chatted w Banana about getting together for a game when I get back, the more the merrier!

To the subject at hand. I had reservations about Colbert but after watching some of his vids and hearing him speak I've changed my opinion. Glad to have him aboard. My excitement is as high as it's been in the past few years! Welcome to our 5 new recruits!
Old town, however, I am still in process of moving here. Should be all set by Conference time. If any of you want to get together for a game, let me know. Sorry Dan for bein completely off subject.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:48 AM   #17732
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesxfan2012 View Post
I looked up everything I could in regards to Illinois being linked to the recruitment of Joel Berry and came up empty.
It will be interesting to hear if Salty, BTF, Lincoln, or anyone else has further info on this article by IlliniHQ. I think looking @ his videos, that would be an enormous get, all be it a long shot @ best. But, still...lock him up Coach!
I have seen it mentioned before that we are recruiting Berry. Can't remember what it is, but I think someone on the staff has some sort of connection there. It was maybe a month ago, sorry can't remember if it was premium or a national guy who said it.

But, regardless, there are more than a handful of guys we are recruiting that are not "common knowledge" fwiw.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:56 AM   #17733
midastouch11
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoulet View Post
mmmm....BLTs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
I have seen it mentioned before that we are recruiting Berry. Can't remember what it is, but I think someone on the staff has some sort of connection there. It was maybe a month ago, sorry can't remember if it was premium or a national guy who said it.

But, regardless, there are more than a handful of guys we are recruiting that are not "common knowledge" fwiw.
Agreed, this isn't Weber's recruiting anymore. You don't only hear about 10 prospects in state and then a couple pipe dreams from St. Louis and Indianapolis. Surprise studs will pop up around the country and actually be in play. Colbert wasn't a top 25 player, but getting a recruit away from Jay Wright is a major sign of things to come.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:58 AM   #17734
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Signing Day Thoughts

Through the wonders of math, John Groce brought in the 17th best recruiting class in the country this year. With 7 months to work with and his lead recruiting assistant leaving after only two months, that's ridiculously impressive.

Will it bring us back to the Dee/Deron/Augie days? No (although he got close to that with Demetrius Jackson and Xavier Rathan-Mayes). But for a first class, it's really, really good.

http://alioneye.com/2012/11/14/signing-day-thoughts-2/
Quote:
Signing Day review

Most Important Recruit
* Illinois landing Simeon's Kendrick Nunn
With a new staff in place and a need for a high-level recruit with name recognition and reverence, coach John Groce and his staff secured a consensus top 75 talent nationally. More importantly, the signing of Kendrick Nunn opens up a pipeline to the Chicago Public League and powerhouse Simeon, while signaling a major step forward in recruiting for the program. Most importantly, Nunn brings intangibles and strengths the current roster lacks. Aside from Tracy Abrams, no current Illini brings the type of toughness Nunn brings to a team. He also brings the needed combination of knocking down a shot and being a big-time finisher at the rim.

Joe Henricksen
Quote:
First Five

Priority number one was hanging on to commit Malcolm Hill. When the coaching change happened, many Illinois fans were concerned that Hill would look elsewhere, but Coach Groce got right on the job and managed to keep Hill in the fold. That alone was all Groce needed to get the ball rolling.

http://illinois.scout.com/2/1240160.html
Quote:
Just call them the starting five

Austin Colbert, Malcolm Hill, Maverick Morgan, Kendrick Nunn and Jaylon Tate all signed letters of intent to play basketball at Illinois on Wednesday.

Now comes the important part for coach John Groce's first recruiting class.

Finding them a nickname.

"We haven't done that yet, but I know there's going to be some things thrown out there," Tate said with a laugh by telephone Wednesday evening. "I know we can't take the Fab Five. That's already established, but we’ll think of something."

Matt Daniels

Last edited by Dan; Nov 15, 2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:11 AM   #17735
ShameSpear
As far as nicknames go, I think Cinco de Fly-O is still available!

I've got nothin'.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:12 AM   #17736
IlliniTilDeath
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShameSpear View Post
As far as nicknames go, I think Cinco de Fly-O is still available!

I've got nothin'.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:22 AM   #17737
Crazy Gringo
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
98%
2%

with your 98% that makes a 100.... I think I could live with that!!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:29 AM   #17738
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichi View Post
Actually, I am wondering about the rule. I heard IU got 5 signed today and expect to add a 6th on Monday. Their current roster includes 4 freshmen, 3 sophomores, and 3 juniors. Maybe 2009 signee Maurice Creek does not count because he is an academic senior, but if he does; then they are at 15, 2 over right now, and will be at 16, 3 over, assuming Troy Williams signs Monday as expected.
From what I've read on some IU boards, it seems as long as Crean can give some explanation as to where the scholarships are going to come from, it's allowed. Seems really odd to me, not only IU doing this but the B1G being on board as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
With all of our 2013 players signed, I think we can officially close the book on the 2013 recruiting cycle.
Not completely closed, there are a couple of guys still being looked at for this class. Even if it's unlikely, I don't think you can truly say we're done for sure.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:30 AM   #17739
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
The Fabled Five
The Fantabulous Five
#5 with a side of Rice
The Five Mollycoddlers
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:35 AM   #17740
illiniobserver22
I like "First Five" as far as nicknames go.

Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:37 AM   #17741
FeelYourPaign
I believe that Dan has historically opened a new thread for Recruiting with calendar seasons. The Signing Period is open through next wednesday, the 21st. Dan will make this decision, but I predict that he closes this thread next Wednesday and opens a new one. Where we can speculate, agonize, gloat, etc about the Spring signing period. And 2014. And 2015. Should be fun !!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:37 AM   #17742
cjcastan
ALong with a good 2014 and 2015 haul how about....

2016 National Champions

Drops mic.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:49 AM   #17743
Big Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
The Fabled Five
The Fantabulous Five
#5 with a side of Rice
The Five Mollycoddlers

Nah Make it "FIVE GUYS" FYIW you can not beat FIVE GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:16 AM   #17744
IlliniWC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
I just had some Five Guys last night .

My first thought was Fantastic Five though.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:20 AM   #17745
Burnt orange and blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange julius View Post
Stacy Augmon with a jump shot? I watched the highlights and I now understand the hype on this guy. Smooth, effortless ability. What a talent.
That was my first viewing of KBD, I can see the Luol Deng and Stacy Augmon comparisons bc of his length and how thin he is. I saw him handling the ball a lot which has me hoping he could be a Scottie Pippen/Tracy McGrady type of kid if he tightens his handles. Hopefully he could be a Deng, Pippen Augmon type on the defensive end too!!!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:22 AM   #17746
chiefini
Fastest Five Alive
Attacking Five
Groce's First Five Guys

‎"There is an uncommon spirit known only by those who call themselves Illini...It is a dignified spirit portrayed by the Chief. It is a spirit of orange and blue blood and of the young and the old. Once it enters your veins, you will never be the same again." Illini Spirit William Branom, '54 (1932-2012)
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:23 AM   #17747
Mike
C-U Townie
The Big Six...Rayvonte makes 6 in my book.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:27 AM   #17748
Larken24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
You guys are making me want Five Guys :laugh::laugh: but i think First Five sounds like a good nickname for that group
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:35 AM   #17749
Botb9
Realist
Fresh Five sounds good to me.

Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:49 AM   #17750
Big10Man
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniobserver22 View Post
I like "First Five" as far as nicknames go.
How about "The Starting Five"?

"Starting" as in the are the class that will start rebuilding the program under Coach Groce. "Five" as in there are five members of the class. "Starting Five" as in there is one player at each position to form a natural starting five on the court.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »