Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:09 PM   #17876
Illinifn79
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combo View Post
Sounds like Reggie Rankin just tells fans what they want to hear.
Sounds like he is planning on running for office in 4 years
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:12 PM   #17877
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combo View Post
Sounds like Reggie Rankin just tells fans what they want to hear.
+1. If you read through the questions, it's a positive spin towards each one. Hard to put much merit in the naitonal guys.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:13 PM   #17878
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniparkie View Post
Also in the ESPN chat mentioned above (interesting if true):
Okafor will likely end up at Kentucky and hopefully we can beat out MSU for Alexander. Must get KBD locked up so we can make legitimate runs at Lyle and Cliff.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:16 PM   #17879
WizardBill
Illini optimist
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
+1. If you read through the questions, it's a positive spin towards each one. Hard to put much merit in the naitonal guys.
Hard to blame them. Their jobs/livelihood is based on gaining attention from watchers/listeners. Telling the truth has been irrelevant for a long time.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:51 PM   #17880
MitchP1
BTF I sure hope your right about KBD that would be a huge get. I'm not sure where you get your info from but hope its right.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:08 PM   #17881
Illini70math
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
I also thought Groce was recruiting Morgan for Ohio before taking the Illinois job.
What Coach Groce actually said was that he recruited Mav until it became clear that Mav would be a high major player. He then stopped recruiting Mav at Ohio. When Groce came to UI, he resumed recruiting Mav since he was at a high major.

Presumably the previous UI staff recruited Mav when he first started looking like a high major player. I do remember his name among guys we were looking at, fwiw.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:30 PM   #17882
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Jabari Parker enjoying quiet, wants to commit in December or January

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...fficial-visits
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:45 PM   #17883
Jkat00
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbachhuber View Post
Hmm... has not yet scheduled his 5th official visit for Stanford.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:49 PM   #17884
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkat00 View Post
Hmm... has not yet scheduled his 5th official visit for Stanford.
Good luck with that one, Stanford. The best part of their basketball program is the giant tree they have for a mascot.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:13 PM   #17885
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
Good luck with that one, Stanford. The best part of their basketball program is the giant tree they have for a mascot.
Nope, the best part of their program is the kid from Rock Island. That said, the tree is pretty cool too. And at least Stanford didn't put in an insane floor like the Ducks.

Parker to Stanford is like Maggette to Architorture.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:23 PM   #17886
Illinifn79
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
Nope, the best part of their program is the kid from Rock Island. That said, the tree is pretty cool too. And at least Stanford didn't put in an insane floor like the Ducks.

Parker to Stanford is like Maggette to Architorture.
Are you talking about Randle?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:24 PM   #17887
FeelYourPaign
Chasson Randle
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:29 PM   #17888
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madturkillini View Post
A few weeks ago while comparing Moore and Colbert people were saying that Colbert definitely had a body that is more ready for BigTen compared to Moore. But lately I keep hearing here that Colbert is a Mike Davis type player, and he needs to get a lot stronger. So, should we expect this guy to contribute some in his Freshman year or not?
I know people now are comparing Colbert to Mike Davis, but when both were in the recruiting picture, it was Moore who was being compared to Davis.

I guess some just like to compare anyone to Davis!!!!!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:32 PM   #17889
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchardDowns View Post
But....but....but....BTF and his "sources" about KBD can't be wrong, can they!!!???!!!
Uhhh, wasn't KBD the source of the early commitment quote?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:43 PM   #17890
Illini70math
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post
I know people now are comparing Colbert to Mike Davis, but when both were in the recruiting picture, it was Moore who was being compared to Davis.

I guess some just like to compare anyone to Davis!!!!!
If you stop and think about it, we haven't had all that many tall, long, athletic power forwards recently. Griffey is in a way, but he is more of a shooter so far. He's a good but not excellent athlete. Davis is sort of the default comparison unless you go pretty far back.

Of them all, Colbert may well be the most traditional power forward for UI in a while when he fills out a bit more.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:47 PM   #17891
cjcastan
ESPN article on Simeon Pipeline

Quote:
Tate is confident he and Nunn are just the beginning of Simeon's funnel to Illinois.

"Illinois has had a great pipeline of players getting from Simeon and other great players throughout Chicago," Tate said. "We just want to start that back and get a lot of players. We have a lot of players here like D.J. Williams, Ben Coupet, Ed Morrow. We have a lot of top players in younger classes as well looking at Illinois. We just want to start that back up again."
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:49 PM   #17892
Illinifn79
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post
Uhhh, wasn't KBD the source of the early commitment quote?
Yes he was which is why i dont get the whole situation with btf and his sources. It was KBD who said he wanted it out of way before season cause he is ready
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:05 PM   #17893
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinifn79 View Post
Yes he was which is why i dont get the whole situation with btf and his sources. It was KBD who said he wanted it out of way before season cause he is ready
I said a month ago that Illinois was the leader for KBD and that the staff was pushing hard to get a fall commit from him. Then I got accused of making things up. Atleast the truth always comes out in the end.

Hopefully this will all be resolved next week.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:20 PM   #17894
jonnymo
Quote:
Originally Posted by USOI View Post
For JG to have a top 25 class in 7 months is unreal. Jaylon Kendrick Maverick Malcolm and Austin is amazing for a 1st time B1G coach. He went into Simeon and Pulled out 2. 3 Out of 5 recruits are from Illinois. This tells me we should be efficiant in state and out. Groce was the right guy. Think about if we have a good season this year and next I dont see why we cant have a top 15 2014 class.
I know the stars rating game is well.....overrated but JG landed three 4 stars in 7 months FWIW
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:22 PM   #17895
DG1985
Banned
Henriksen

Joe Henriksen's column from when Groce was hired is a great reread.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:24 PM   #17896
illveteran1
I hope you're right BTF
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:30 PM   #17897
huskie44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
Its articles like this that make giving Tate a scholarship worth it. I believe this board had a huge debate whether or not he was worth a scholarship. It was worth giving it to him just on the "politics" end for the Illini...
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:32 PM   #17898
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
I said a month ago that Illinois was the leader for KBD and that the staff was pushing hard to get a fall commit from him. Then I got accused of making things up. Atleast the truth always comes out in the end.

Yes, you did. And when I saw the quote attributed to KBD and posted the link here it was to affirm that. Granted KBD may well back off of that statement but we will find out for sure in the next week.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:33 PM   #17899
huskie44
Quote:

BTF thanks for the info always.

I L L
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:40 PM   #17900
JimmyChitwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander58 View Post
Langford's athleticism makes him more veratile than Shaw or Ibby. If he can develop a shot, he will get floor time. Shaw looks like he can play, but obviously there is something I don't see holding him back. Ibby is extremely raw. I wonder if 4 years is enough time for him to find his game.
From what I've seen, Shaw's issues reside on the defensive side of things.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »