Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Conference Realignment Thread (Maryland & Rutgers join the Big Ten conference)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:04 PM   #176
trevdv
trevdv's Avatar
Location: Champaign
Posts: 3,011
So--just to be clear, mattcoldagelli, illinicb, and Illini87InClt-- you're OK with hearing the following in a couple years: "Welcome to Big Ten football; today's key conference matchup is between the Iowa Hawkeyes and Maryland Terrapins!"
trevdv is offline
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:07 PM   #177
dgcrow
dgcrow's Avatar
Location: Kelso, WA
Posts: 1,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
So what do you suggest they do with the divisions? East and West? If so, then you would have to have either Indiana or Michigan in the east division, meaning longer flights more frequently. Or Ohio State in the west division, meaning traveling to Iowa and Nebraska (long trips) more frequently. Any way you slice it, these divisions would not provide easy travel if Rutgers and Maryland were to join. And IF they were to join, they would most definitely both be in the east division. I've never seen two new teams both go into the same division in a conference.
Colorado and Utah were both put in the South Division of the Pac 12 when they joined the conference.
dgcrow is offline
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:08 PM   #178
trevdv
trevdv's Avatar
Location: Champaign
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgcrow View Post
Colorado and Utah were both put in the South Division of the Pac 12 when they joined the conference.
And now they both suck, so that worked out well...?
trevdv is offline
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:09 PM   #179
mattcoldagelli
mattcoldagelli's Avatar
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
So--just to be clear, mattcoldagelli, illinicb, and Illini87InClt-- you're OK with hearing the following in a couple years: "Welcome to Big Ten football; today's key conference matchup is between the Iowa Hawkeyes and Maryland Terrapins!"
Sure. Why not?

__________________
Twitter Blog

#TEAMSHIELD
mattcoldagelli is online now
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:12 PM   #180
jackman404
Posts: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
So--just to be clear, mattcoldagelli, illinicb, and Illini87InClt-- you're OK with hearing the following in a couple years: "Welcome to Big Ten football; today's key conference matchup is between the Iowa Hawkeyes and Maryland Terrapins!"
Considering that hearing that means that the school I love was able to build a new research facility with all the money the tv markets brought in, yes I am perfectly fine hearing that.

__________________
Williams to tie it with a three......HE DOES!!!
jackman404 is online now
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:12 PM   #181
DrewD007
DrewD007's Avatar
Location: Swansea, IL
Posts: 4,174
Think they could go with a Northeast/Southwest alignment...

Northeast
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers

Southwest
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Purdue
Wisconsin

However, those divisions aren't very balanced at all, but you wouldn't really need cross-over rivals because most our preserved (aside from Illinois/Northwestern but I don't think people would be too crushed by that).
DrewD007 is offline
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:19 PM   #182
GilThorpe
GilThorpe's Avatar
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 1,319
the big football conferences seem set on going up to 16. to do so, the B1G is going to go after large TV markets. NY/NJ, DC/Balt, Atlanta and Charlotte are all pretty obvious choices.
GilThorpe is offline
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:25 PM   #183
dgcrow
dgcrow's Avatar
Location: Kelso, WA
Posts: 1,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
And now they both suck, so that worked out well...?
I never implied it worked out well -- just correcting your erroneous statement.
dgcrow is offline
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:32 PM   #184
Illini87InClt
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
So--just to be clear, mattcoldagelli, illinicb, and Illini87InClt-- you're OK with hearing the following in a couple years: "Welcome to Big Ten football; today's key conference matchup is between the Iowa Hawkeyes and Maryland Terrapins!"
I'm OK with that. I might not watch it on television because I'm not a fan of either team, but I am ok with the match-up. It's not much different than some of the current match-ups (Minnesota vs. Indiana, Indiana vs. Purdue). While I might not be tuned into the game, that doesn't mean that the Iowa and Maryland fans will not be watching.
Illini87InClt is offline
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:38 PM   #185
Illini87InClt
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilThorpe View Post
the big football conferences seem set on going up to 16. to do so, the B1G is going to go after large TV markets. NY/NJ, DC/Balt, Atlanta and Charlotte are all pretty obvious choices.
The rumored pickups would help with the NY/NJ and DC/Balt. To get attention in Charlotte, the B1G would pretty much have to land UNC as the city has a strong slant toward the Heels.
Illini87InClt is offline
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:43 PM   #186
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
Joel Goodson's Avatar
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 2,405
Conference realignment is about money, money, money (e.g. BTN) and being able to control one's destiny. Once the ND ship sailed, the BIG felt it needed to make a move. Delany is an empire builder. The BIG is gonna become the Borg, like it or not (ESPN can suck it, LOL). Maryland and Rutgers are not the end game.
Joel Goodson is online now
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:44 PM   #187
jackman404
Posts: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
And now they both suck, so that worked out well...?
The PAC-12 secured one of the most lucrative tv deals ever after this expansion. So yeah, I would say it "worked out well".

Stop looking at this from a fan's view and start looking at it from a school president's view. The extra tv money can do wonders for a school. Bigger conferences are great for tv deals because it leaves tv networks with less options to bid for, therefore bigger contracts.

__________________
Williams to tie it with a three......HE DOES!!!
jackman404 is online now
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:53 PM   #188
dgcrow
dgcrow's Avatar
Location: Kelso, WA
Posts: 1,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackman404 View Post
The PAC-12 secured one of the most lucrative tv deals ever after this expansion. So yeah, I would say it "worked out well".

Stop looking at this from a fan's view and start looking at it from a school president's view. The extra tv money can do wonders for a school. Bigger conferences are great for tv deals because it leaves tv networks with less options to bid for, therefore bigger contracts.
Agreed. And from what I'm hearing out here on the West Coast, the PAC-12 is quite happy with the expansion.
dgcrow is offline
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:16 PM   #189
Sybok
Posts: 1,055
Sorry if this link has already been posted, but it really is fascinating that the B1G has the potential to pluck a charter member from the ACC. As for the quote, this is in regards to ND moving to the ACC.

Quote:
Chicago Breaking Sports Ex-ACC commissioner Corrigan 'flabbergasted' about Maryland, Big Ten
...
"They play the games that the ACC plays -- they play soccer, they play lacrosse -- it makes sense for them to find a league that played the same games. Does anybody in the Big Ten play lacrosse?" said Corrigan, a Baltimore native who played and coached the sport at Virginia. "Of course it saddens me. I'm actually shocked by this. I'm absolutely blown away."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,4153161.story
Sybok is online now
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:24 PM   #190
IlliniKat91
IlliniKat91's Avatar
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,610
OSU, PSU, and Michigan all play lacrosse. Maryland would make four (does anyone know if Rutgers has a team, too?). Lacrosse, while gaining traction, still isn't a huge, national sport. That's not going to change regardless of the conference they join. It'll be like the B1G hockey schools: they'll look elsewhere to schedule lacrosse games until the rest of the conference catches up.
IlliniKat91 is offline
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:26 PM   #191
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 28,788
Quote:
Potential television windfall driving Big Ten's latest expansion efforts

According to a television executive familiar with the Northeast corridor, the move could ultimately be worth as much as $200 million annually for the Big Ten in cable subscription fees. This is a Pollyannaish figure that's unlikely to ever materialize, but it shows the scope of the potential value. The interesting part, considering the current cable climate, is that the potential move also comes with considerable risk.

There are an estimated 15 million available households in the New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington D.C. markets. If the Big Ten Network got on basic cable in all those places, which is an enormous long shot, the per-household figure by the time Rutgers and Maryland joined the league would project in the neighborhood of $1.25 per month. That would equate to about $200 million per year.

Pete Thamel
Dan is offline
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:26 PM   #192
UIUC1867
UIUC1867's Avatar
Location: Christian County, IL
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
The BIG is gonna become the Borg
Maybe we could have two divisions called the Bjorn and the Trekkie. :laugh:

__________________
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses . . . hit it!"
UIUC1867 is offline
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:38 PM   #193
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
Joel Goodson's Avatar
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 2,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniKat91 View Post
OSU, PSU, and Michigan all play lacrosse. Maryland would make four (does anyone know if Rutgers has a team, too?). Lacrosse, while gaining traction, still isn't a huge, national sport. That's not going to change regardless of the conference they join. It'll be like the B1G hockey schools: they'll look elsewhere to schedule lacrosse games until the rest of the conference catches up.
It's an East Coast sport. If the Terps join the party, their lacrosse program is going to be run as a psuedo-independent. Collateral damage. They will adapt and be fine.
Joel Goodson is online now
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:43 PM   #194
IlliniKat91
IlliniKat91's Avatar
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
It's an East Coast sport. If the Terps join the party, their lacrosse program is going to be run as a psuedo-independent. Collateral damage. They will adapt and be fine.
I know it's a mainly East Coast sport, however, it is gaining traction across the Midwest. (And I only brought up the B1G lacrosse teams in response to the ex-ACC commish who wanted to know if any of our schools played the sport.) There are quiet a few high schools (mostly situated in wealthy districts or with big-time boosters) in Chicagoland that have lacrosse teams. Those kids are one day going to want to go to schools with lacrosse programs.

Not saying it happens because Maryland comes into the B1G, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it become a serious point of interest among non-revenue sports in the next 20 years or so.
IlliniKat91 is offline
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:50 PM   #195
Sybok
Posts: 1,055
Considering the Northwestern women's lacrosse team has won 7 NCAA championships recently, I think that it would be premature to think that Maryland would have to operate as a pseudo-independent.
Sybok is online now
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:00 PM   #196
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
Joel Goodson's Avatar
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 2,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniKat91 View Post
I know it's a mainly East Coast sport, however, it is gaining traction across the Midwest. (And I only brought up the B1G lacrosse teams in response to the ex-ACC commish who wanted to know if any of our schools played the sport.) There are quiet a few high schools (mostly situated in wealthy districts or with big-time boosters) in Chicagoland that have lacrosse teams. Those kids are one day going to want to go to schools with lacrosse programs.

Not saying it happens because Maryland comes into the B1G, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it become a serious point of interest among non-revenue sports in the next 20 years or so.
Yeah, no doubt (I live in one of those school districts). Lacrosse has been an IHSA official sport for 1-2 years now? Definitely becoming more widespread in the 'burbs. No clue about elsewhere.

I think 20 years is a reasonable estimate for fielding at least 11-12 conference teams. As Title IX (in concert w/85 football rides) is a huge obstacle to non-revenue mens sports, lacrosse will probably get more traction as a women's sport initially.
Joel Goodson is online now
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:01 PM   #197
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
Joel Goodson's Avatar
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 2,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybok View Post
Considering the Northwestern women's lacrosse team has won 7 NCAA championships recently, I think that it would be premature to think that Maryland would have to operate as a pseudo-independent.
Sorry, should have made it clear that I was thinking of men's lacrosse.
Joel Goodson is online now
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:08 PM   #198
trevdv
trevdv's Avatar
Location: Champaign
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by UIUC1867 View Post
Maybe we could have two divisions called the Bjorn and the Trekkie. :laugh:
New tactic: send Duke and North Carolina e-mails with the subject: "you will be assimilated!"
trevdv is offline
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:10 PM   #199
trevdv
trevdv's Avatar
Location: Champaign
Posts: 3,011
I've said this once before, but I'd like to make sure that everyone hears this loud and clear: can we STOP talking about how Maryland is a good or bad addition to the B1G when only referencing their current record in a sport? So what if the Terps stink at football right now? By the time 2017 rolls around, they may be competing for a conference title. No need to read into the Maryland/B1G discussion by bringing up their record in a sport.
trevdv is offline
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:10 PM   #200
illinicb
illinicb's Avatar
Location: Northbrook
Posts: 6,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
So--just to be clear, mattcoldagelli, illinicb, and Illini87InClt-- you're OK with hearing the following in a couple years: "Welcome to Big Ten football; today's key conference matchup is between the Iowa Hawkeyes and Maryland Terrapins!"
No. If it is a key matchup, that means Iowa is good and I HATE when IOWA is good.

__________________
"I could care less" does not mean the same as "I couldn't care less"
illinicb is online now
Closed Thread


« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump