Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Maui Invitational Pregame: Illinois vs USC, Monday, November 19th, 11:00pm CT, ESPN2

Closed Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:20 AM   #76
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniSteve View Post
Bill Raftery, sweet
ManToMan!!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:38 AM   #77
JoeJ
As far as winning this tourney: "Why not Illinois" like the new commercial.

Bill Raferty - Ick, Big East lover

The game will start later than advertised, almost guaranteed. 4th game of the day, any OT's, significant injuries, referee conferences in the earlier games will delay the start of hours. My guess is we start ~ 1 hr later than advertised. I put 2 extra hours on the DVR.

GO ILLINI!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:29 AM   #78
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Maui Invitational: Fantasy Island

"Guys were cramping up because it was just so hot in there," Harrington said. "The locker rooms are close to the floor; you always see on TV the cameramen pan to the teams that are playing next, overlooking the game that is going on. You can hear the other coaches in the other locker room because the walls are so thin. That adds to the excitement and the experience and that makes it a really fun event."

Marcus Jackson
Quote:
Anyone recognize these Trojans? Much like it’s difficult to get a good scouting report on the Illini early in the season playing in a new system, USC has a roster composed of a bunch of new faces. Five transfers will see significant action for the Trojans, who are looking to bounce back from a 6-26 season in which they went 1-17 in the Pac-12. Terrell, a transfer from Wake Forest, will be a challenging matchup for the Illini guards.

Marcus Jackson
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:35 AM   #79
Botb9
Realist
USC seems to be a team trying to find itself just like UI.

Nothing sticks out from their stats except for this one point: they give up fouls like crazy. Coppin State was able to get to the line 33 times against them, making 24 of those. USC gave up a ridiculous 26 fouls in that game.

The guards should have a solid game if they just stick with driving the lane and can then convert on the free throws.

Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:46 AM   #80
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
ManToMan!!
ONIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
The game will start later than advertised, almost guaranteed. 4th game of the day, any OT's, significant injuries, referee conferences in the earlier games will delay the start of hours. My guess is we start ~ 1 hr later than advertised. I put 2 extra hours on the DVR.
Not likely. The opening round is broken into 2 sessions so the early games won't affect the start time of UNC/Chaminade game (first of the 2nd session) And UNC is unlikely to be challenged by Chaminade, so the 2 1/2 hrs allotted for that one will be plenty.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:47 AM   #81
Loyalillini10
Unfortunately, I did not to get to see the game (visiting my grandmother who does not have internet). Very, very happy the Illini pulled that off.

In order to beat USC, I believe our guards are going to have to be on their games. USC has three guys on their roster listed at 7'0 or taller. It is good to know the USC fouls a lot. Hopefully, the Illini can make their free throws tonight. I believe if we play and shoot with confidence we have a great shot at winning. A huge comeback win on the road on Friday has got to bode well for us going into tonight's game. GO ILLINI!!!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:55 AM   #82
AK Illini
UofI Basketball..off the chain
Getting some of their tall tress in foul trouble and out of the game would be nice but Illinois is awful from the line so i'm not too excited about those prospects.

We'll have to find a way to push the action a bit...something we struggled to do against Hawaii.

I'll stick with my earlier call of a close loss.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:17 AM   #83
HoopCity
Going to be nice to see the game without the picture freezing up. Thanks to the ILLINI Sports Network we could at least listen to it in Decatur via WSOY am.

WDWS just does not make it to Decatur in the night hours, just in the morning hours for "Penny For Your Thoughts" !!!!

Does anyone know why sporting events are not streamed ?? The game the other night although was ?? Don't understand and would like to know ....

Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:21 AM   #84
Lasagna
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyalillini10 View Post
Unfortunately, I did not to get to see the game (visiting my grandmother who does not have internet). Very, very happy the Illini pulled that off.

In order to beat USC, I believe our guards are going to have to be on their games. USC has three guys on their roster listed at 7'0 or taller. It is good to know the USC fouls a lot. Hopefully, the Illini can make their free throws tonight. I believe if we play and shoot with confidence we have a great shot at winning. A huge comeback win on the road on Friday has got to bode well for us going into tonight's game. GO ILLINI!!!
Yes, considering a smaller Hawaii team destroyed us on the boards, offensively and defensively, it is very scary to see how a taller, more talented USC matches up against us. I think the guards played well against Hawaii; Paul, DJ, and Tracy took over. Tonight, we need Egwu and Griffey to man up on the blocks and keep us in this game.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:27 AM   #85
IlliniRyan13
Really interesting matchup tonight on many levels.

A) Get off to a better start than Friday

B) We are going to need to find a way to have a stronger effort on the defensive interior and glass against their size.

C) At end of the game the Illini backcourt is the difference.

ILL- 70
USC- 68
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:29 AM   #86
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopCity View Post
Does anyone know why sporting events are not streamed ?? The game the other night although was ?? Don't understand and would like to know ....

All of our games so far have been streamed. Most future games will also be streamed via ESPN3/WatchESPN or BTN2Go.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:40 AM   #87
Malibuguy
Who is going to step up and rebound tonight?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:48 AM   #88
AK Illini
UofI Basketball..off the chain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibuguy View Post
Who is going to step up and rebound tonight?
I'm just hoping we shoot at a high enough percentage that it won't matter as much as it did against Hawaii.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:50 AM   #89
dtownillini
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
ONIONS!

Not likely. The opening round is broken into 2 sessions so the early games won't affect the start time of UNC/Chaminade game (first of the 2nd session) And UNC is unlikely to be challenged by Chaminade, so the 2 1/2 hrs allotted for that one will be plenty.
When you try to correct someone have the right information. Its Texas vs Chaminade.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:54 AM   #90
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
USC seems to be a team trying to find itself just like UI.

Nothing sticks out from their stats except for this one point: they give up fouls like crazy. Coppin State was able to get to the line 33 times against them, making 24 of those. USC gave up a ridiculous 26 fouls in that game.

The guards should have a solid game if they just stick with driving the lane and can then convert on the free throws.
Didn't we foul Hawaii like 27 times? Lol
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:56 AM   #91
TheSecretWeapon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownillini View Post
When you try to correct someone have the right information. Its Texas vs Chaminade.
That seems a little harsh. His point still stands, there are 2 sessions and the first game of session 1 should be a laugher which will help keep the Illini game on schedule.

Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:58 AM   #92
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecretWeapon View Post
That seems a little harsh. His point still stands, there are 2 sessions and the first game of session 1 should be a laugher which will help keep the Illini game on schedule.
The reason this tournament exists is because everyone thought UVa vs Chaminade would be a laugher and Chaminade beat the number 1 team UVa. Don't be so quick to write it off.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:19 AM   #93
Botb9
Realist
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart53x3 View Post
Didn't we foul Hawaii like 27 times? Lol
26! However, this bucked a trend from the first two games in which we commited just over 26 fouls combined. Seems like it might be more of a problem for USC, who has committed 44 fouls in two games.

Small sample sizes, yadda yadda...

Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:25 AM   #94
HoopCity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasagna View Post
Yes, considering a smaller Hawaii team destroyed us on the boards, offensively and defensively, it is very scary to see how a taller, more talented USC matches up against us. I think the guards played well against Hawaii; Paul, DJ, and Tracy took over. Tonight, we need Egwu and Griffey to man up on the blocks and keep us in this game.

Hawaii had big men that were 7', 6'10, 6'8, 6'8 & 6'8 that all played a total of 120 minutes. One of them was a very dominant banger. They were also undefeated ....

Did you watch or even listen to the game ??

Do you know anything about USC ?? They were 6-12 last year and now you say the ILLINI go against a more talented team, compared to who ???Where do you get your info ???

Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:26 AM   #95
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Sorry, bad editing as I had previously listed the early games. But the overall point remains, our game is likely to start on time. And the important "information" was correct.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:34 AM   #96
Botb9
Realist
Quote:
Hawaii had big men that were 7', 6'10, 6'8, 6'8 & 6'8 that all played a total of 120 minutes. One of them was a very dominant banger. They were also undefeated ....

Do you know anything about USC ?? They were 6-12 last year and now you say the ILLINI go against a more talented team, compared to who ???Where do you get your info ???
In fairness, this USC team is nothing like the team from last year. They've got something like five new transfers. Very much an unknown commodity at this point. To say Illinois has less talent might be stretching it a bit.

I wasn't aware that Hawaii had that many big men. No wonder they crushed us on the boards.

Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:34 AM   #97
Loyalillini10
Quote:

I think this response might be a bit of an overreaction...especially for this board. I think this sort of response is more suited for a site like Illinihq where people talk down to one another regularly.

This (USC) team is a much different team than last year's. I for one am not going to overlook them because last year's team had an awful record. The fact is our post play is our weakness and USC has big guys in the post. If that doesn't make you at least a little nervous, it should.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:08 PM   #98
stevo99
Quote:

Relax, Skippy.

The fact he said UNC when he meant Texas doesn't change his point. Not even a little bit.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:32 PM   #99
Botb9
Realist
Marcus Jackson is saying USC will edge the Illini tonight.

Marcus Jackson

Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:48 PM   #100
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
Marcus Jackson is saying USC will edge the Illini tonight.

Marcus Jackson
OK, I'll bite.
Who is Marcus Jackson and why should I care what he says?
Actually, I mean that. Never heard of him, don't know anything about him.

Ken Pomeroy, who I pay (a very, very nominal amount) for information says Illinois 62, USC 55.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »