A by-the-numbers look at Illinois’ near-perfect first half against USC

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...79--ncaab.html

From Yahoo!
Foggy Notion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:36 PM   #202
MPFlyinIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
Langford appears to be the ninth man and should get a couple minutes each half. Looked good and active in the rs freshmans little time. Groce inserted him in both halves iirc. I still think we are counting Shaw off too early. Just think if we didn't have Griffey who probably had the best overall game last night. Kid can shoot it and pass it. That layup showed some of his athleticism too. Just to clarify, I'm not comparing TG to MS or vice versa.
Langford tallied 3 minutes. Shaw, Ibby MLT each with 2 minutes, Berardini with 1. Just one shot attempt total from that group.
MPFlyinIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:38 PM   #203
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
You can watch kids and tell if they can play. If they have talent they should show it in one on one plays here and there.

Texas is really a bad team also (right now). Having watched that game wire to wire I think Chaminade wins a minimum of 4 out of 10 times they play Texas. Probably 6 out of 10. Without a PG, Texas is a joke. When Myck comes back, they will be a different team but still not a great team (certainly better than Chaminade though).
Agree on Texas, very young team that isn't good right now and bad without Kabongo. We'll have to disagree on USC for the time being.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:43 PM   #204
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy Notion View Post
A by-the-numbers look at Illinois’ near-perfect first half against USC

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...79--ncaab.html

From Yahoo!
Best half I've ever seen UI play.
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:51 PM   #205
ajg1865
Pick-and-roll

I am thrilled to see Illinois frequently using the pick-and-roll as a focal point of their offense. It seems Groce has placed a premium on ball handling in practice because these Illini seem to be able to attack the rim off a p-n-r where last year they were more hesitant to drive.
ajg1865 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:05 PM   #206
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by drillini View Post
I wonder if even with a big lead he is sticking with about 8 guys so they have more of a chance to get used to his system, and learn to play with each other within his system. I could understand that concept. Also by not going deeper there certainly is a statement sent to the remaining players, step up in practice. If not there will be freshman coming in next year that will make it difficult to get playing time, so those players may need to make a decision for their own future.
Yes, the advantage of going deeper is that you can rest guys more and have more flexibility in case of injury or foul trouble. The disadvantage of playing a lot of guys is that it is harder to develop cohesiveness. I see Langford getting minutes mainly as an investment in the future. During tight, critical B1G games I would bet that we go with 7-8 guys. Groce is now building cohesiveness for the rotation he intends to use this year.

Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:23 PM   #207
trevdv
Can we all agree that those two back-to-back games against Hawaii and USC were the most exciting, fun road games we've seen in a WHILE?
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:28 PM   #208
2005ILLINIWHITESOX
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
Can we all agree that those two back-to-back games against Hawaii and USC were the most exciting, fun road games we've seen in a WHILE?
+1
2005ILLINIWHITESOX is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:30 PM   #209
TCTORNADO
My only problem with last night is your up 21 pts w/ 5 minutes to go and you leave your starters in, plus you've got to play the next night a team that already was a sleep by that time.
Big chance for injuries plus it would have been a chance to give the 10th thru 13th guys some playing time and rest your starters for the next night.
Not trying to start a fight, it just seemed odd.
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:38 PM   #210
illinisc
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
My only problem with last night is your up 21 pts w/ 5 minutes to go and you leave your starters in, plus you've got to play the next night a team that already was a sleep by that time.
Big chance for injuries plus it would have been a chance to give the 10th thru 13th guys some playing time and rest your starters for the next night.
Not trying to start a fight, it just seemed odd.

I thought it was pretty odd to. The only reason I could think of was the Groce wanted his starters to play out of their funk in the 2nd half and go into the next game with a little momentum.
illinisc is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:46 PM   #211
Illwinsagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinisc View Post
I thought it was pretty odd to. The only reason I could think of was the Groce wanted his starters to play out of their funk in the 2nd half and go into the next game with a little momentum.
I think Groce wanted to make sure that the game did not get interesting. I couldn't have been the only one doing the math when it got down to an 18 point lead. I was at the Hall when BJ Armstrong brought back Iowa from down 21 with 12 left (details may be off, it was a long time ago).
Illwinsagain is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:57 PM   #212
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illwinsagain View Post
I think Groce wanted to make sure that the game did not get interesting. I couldn't have been the only one doing the math when it got down to an 18 point lead. I was at the Hall when BJ Armstrong brought back Iowa from down 21 with 12 left (details may be off, it was a long time ago).
Also these kids are still learning the system. I know Groce is preaching "practice matters" as he should, but in-game minutes are infinitely more valuable.
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:36 PM   #213
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post
Also these kids are still learning the system. I know Groce is preaching "practice matters" as he should, but in-game minutes are infinitely more valuable.
I think this is the main reason because we have seen essentially the same substitution pattern for multiple early season blowouts. He wants the rotation guys to gain experience playing together.

Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:19 PM   #214
bleedsorangenblue
Kind of scoured the national media and there was not a lot of buzz about the Illini last night. Maybe people were sleeping ?

Did find this on ESPN....... At the watercooler conversation w/ Eamonn Brennon and Myron Medcalf:

Quote:
EB: (snip) ..... "Speaking of horrible, I'm not sure if you stayed up for the late one, but Illinois scored 57 points -- 57! -- in the first half against USC. Last season, despite the Trojans being really bad, USC's opponents frequently struggled to break the 65-point barrier. Illinois came out and just destroyed them.

And no, the Trojans did not play well; they are not that bad, and Illiinois is not that good. But it was hard to watch and not be impressed with the Illini. Brandon Paul is passing up bad shots! The ball is moving all over the floor! Guys are playing hard! What sorcery is this?!

MM: I watched it live. And I think John Groce's impact already has affected the program. If they can get Paul to play that balanced basketball (IF), the Illini might be better than expected. Perhaps USC is that bad, though. We'll see in the coming weeks. But I'm definitely intrigued by Illinois."
Link: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8655803/at-watercooler-preview-tuesday-college-basketball-action

Last edited by bleedsorangenblue; Nov 20, 2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Add link
bleedsorangenblue is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:28 PM   #215
drillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedsorangenblue View Post
Kind of scoured the national media and there was not a lot of buzz about the Illini last night. Maybe people were sleeping ?

Did find this on ESPN....... At the watercooler conversation w/ Eamonn Brennon and Myron Medcalf:

Link: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8655803/at-watercooler-preview-tuesday-college-basketball-action
I actually like those quotes, pretty right on in my opinion. I am definitely intrigued by this Illini team too and it is exciting to see how they progress under Groce.
drillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:16 PM   #216
jmwillini
Just watching the game. First chance this year, and I've seen more good screens in 6 minutes than in the past 2-3 seasons. And I'm not a Weber hater. Is Groce using a cattle prod if they don't screen correctly?
jmwillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:04 PM   #217
gandalf
Fwiw, USC beat Texas today. Texas scored 53 including OT. just to put our 57 point first half in perspective.
gandalf is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:25 PM   #218
Illinell
'03 IMPE All Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
Fwiw, USC beat Texas today. Texas scored 53 including OT. just to put our 57 point first half in perspective.
Agreed. This could add some legitimacy to our win yesterday. Not saying it wasn't a bit of an anomaly, but does show that USC is not a complete throw away win.
Illinell is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »