Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Maui Championship Pregame: Illinois vs Butler, Wednesday, November 21th, 9:00pm CT, ESPN

Closed Thread

Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:58 AM   #51
Botb9
Realist
One remark I heard consistently about North Carolina last night is that they didn't seem to play maturely. I feel like Illinois has been, and even though they've had spurts where they can't seem to score the ball, I think they can defend well enough to put the skids on Butler's attack.

Illinois 78
Jeeves 69

Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:59 AM   #52
IlliniAttorney
Voice of Reason
There is no way Groce uses the "he turned you down" thing as motivation. Everything I've seen from Groce is selling opportunity, not looking backwards. Also, he and Stevens are good friends.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:01 AM   #53
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Maui Invitational Day 2 roundup

Illinois continued its impressive run in the tournament with an 84-61 win over local underdogs Chaminade on Tuesday. The Illini got balanced scoring -- Brandon Paul scored 13 points, D.J. Richardson had 11 and Joseph Bertrand 14. The Illini are off to a 5-0 start, but they haven't really been tested yet. Butler should give them everything they can handle and will be the favorites to win it all after dominating North Carolina. But don't count out Illinois. The team is playing with a lot more aggressiveness and discipline under new head coach John Groce. It has a terrific backcourt in Richardson, Paul and Abrams and size up front.

A win in the tournament will be a huge boon to the Illini's confidence. They aren't in the same class as Big Ten elite teams such as Indiana, Ohio State, Michigan or Michigan State, but they, along with Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa, may be a very tough outs in the league. I won't be surprised if the Big Ten gets eight teams into the NCAA tournament this season.

Chad Ford
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:05 AM   #54
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
To be honest, I would have rather faced UNC. One, because of name recognition, and two, because I honestly think we would have had a better chance to win. But maybe it's better this way. We will be truly tested for the first time this season. They know going in that this will be by far their toughest test so far and that they will have to prepare for it, because Coach Groce and the team KNOW that Brad Stevens will have his team prepared for them. That's why he's a good coach who's gotten Butler to back-to-back NC games.

I see this being a very hard fought battle, and possibly our toughest game of the non-con season. That said, they beat a talented, ranked team and we haven't, so knowing little about where we rank relatively, I can only go by what I know and what I know is that we've beaten several bad teams and came down to the wire against a so-so team in Hawaii, so...

Butler - 69
Illinois - 65

Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:09 AM   #55
IntenselyOrange
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardBill View Post
I have already seen a different mentality. While tonight's matchup might show some things that we have not yet seen, I have already seen a new approach for these guys.

1.). They are not playing scared.
2.). They ARE having fun.
3.). They DO believe in the system.

While they might NOT win tonight, this is a different team of the same guys.
We all think this, but you don't really know until you face a team that will play you physically. This is going to be much more like a Big 10 opponent in terms of style. We'll learn a lot tonight, I think.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:10 AM   #56
Boogua
Banned
The Illini are favored tonight. I'm pretty surprised.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:13 AM   #57
AK Illini
UofI Basketball..off the chain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogua View Post
The Illini are favored tonight. I'm pretty surprised.

As am I
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:17 AM   #58
Botb9
Realist
Well, as they said last night, the Illini have looked the most impressive out of the rest of the field, so I can see why. Then again, they have faced some weak competition, so who knows?

Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:18 AM   #59
Botb9
Realist
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniAttorney View Post
There is no way Groce uses the "he turned you down" thing as motivation. Everything I've seen from Groce is selling opportunity, not looking backwards. Also, he and Stevens are good friends.
Actually, I agree with that. However, I think the players might feel some of that motivation on their own.

Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:20 AM   #60
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
Well, as they said last night, the Illini have looked the most impressive out of the rest of the field, so I can see why. Then again, they have faced some weak competition, so who knows?
I don't know - last night in addition to Chaminade, they also faced the refs and the Amazing Flopping Hu and still came out good.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:41 AM   #61
Botb9
Realist
Hu? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:47 AM   #62
SOILL-ILLINIFAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonbacon15 View Post
We are going to have to limit the number of looks Clarke and Dunham get from 3. Those kids can flat shoot.
Limit them form all the 3s and I think we win but it's gonna be close
Illini-75
Butler-70

Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:54 AM   #63
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
UI 72
Butler 64

Butler expended more energy today than we did. Will be interesting to see if they come out a little flat after upsetting UNC. And none of our starters played big minutes today, so, though a little tired, we should have more energy than them.
These are 19-20 year old kids that are used to playing multiple games/day on the AAU circuit. I think the 'fresh legs' thing is a little overblown. Both teams will be ready to play. It will come down to who hits their 3's and who gets the loose balls. Hope it's us!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:57 AM   #64
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynifan34 View Post
A big question I have with this team is, what happens when we play a team that we can't dictate tempo to, and have to grind it out. We might find out tonight.
Agree with this...sneak peek into B1G play tonight. Can't wait to see how we do.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:12 AM   #65
ILL Thunder
This obviously will be much tougher game. You have to love this style of play, very refreshing to say the least!
Illinois 72
Butler 64
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:27 AM   #66
Illiniwek_2
I don't see how this can be an 8-10 point win for us. If the Illini are shooting 50% or even 69% at times like in the last two games, then things will be going their way. If there is a time when we can't get shots to fall we could dig ourselves into a bit of a hole, which would be a real test for this team. Of course, they came back against Hawaii, but I think Butler is a much better team than that.

Butler 73
Illinois 71
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:45 AM   #67
scubadunk
I watched the Bulter Xavier game and thought Butler was going to be down this year. Then I watched them last night and they had done a 180. This should be a good game. Looking foward to it.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:55 AM   #68
PillPusherSTL
I'm not sure why people keep saying the Illini haven't been punched in the mouth or that this will be their first "real test." We were down by 16 against Hawaii and had to hit a game winning 3 to beat them. Butler is definitely a better team than Hawaii, but I do think we'll rise to the occasion and make this an exciting game.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:55 AM   #69
bootsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniAttorney View Post
At least not publicly. He may do it in private and people keep making this point about them being good friends. Groce is still going to want to kick Stevens ass no matter how good of friends they are.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:02 PM   #70
RealWorld52
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessd24 View Post
This would be an exceedingly nice game to win for a number of obvious reasons.

But it would be really nice to go home for 3 (seemingly) easily winnable games against Gardner-Webb, Georgia Tech, and Norfolk St.

Winning this game has us 9-0 heading to Spokane on December 8th.
If the last few seasons haven't taught us enough about counting wins before they happen, I don't know what will.

I think we beat Butler tonight.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:07 PM   #71
SeattleSlim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
Yes, the competition does seem to be weak; however, the two teams we beat have each won their other games (so far).
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:12 PM   #72
illinisc
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointGuardU01 View Post
These are 19-20 year old kids that are used to playing multiple games/day on the AAU circuit. I think the 'fresh legs' thing is a little overblown. Both teams will be ready to play. It will come down to who hits their 3's and who gets the loose balls. Hope it's us!
Playing in an AAU game where no one plays defense is completely different from playing a college basketball game. 3 games in 3 days is a huge grind for any athlete. I'm convinced we'll be able to control the game with our pace and eventually wear Butler down. I don't think they have the athletes to run with us up and down the court.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:29 PM   #73
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Found this old pic from 2000. Stevens and Groce. On the same staff at #Butler. http://ow.ly/i/19tSN

http://twitter.com/ButlerSID
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:34 PM   #74
IlliniSF
Banned
We have better athletes and seniors leading our team. Let's stop this nonsense tonight and remind the country that Butler is a mid-major and why we're a high major. And if we can't do that, then we still have a long way to go. I prefer that we thump them. HAMMER DOWN!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:41 PM   #75
Juice
Tonight will show that we indeed did get the better coach of the two. Illini
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »