Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois 84, Chaminade 61 POSTGAME

Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:14 AM   #126
DG1985
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTMinded View Post
This is crazy talk to me...I do not know too many people that think Bruce was a jerk of a guy. Unfortunately for me, I put a good chunk of emotional stock in watching the Illini play basketball. I can't tell you to amount of frustration I felt the last 5 or so years watching us chuck up a desperation shot as the shot clock expired...amongst other things that directly relate to the previous coaching staffs style of play. So when I see a completely different, refreshing style that eliminates my frustrations. I see no reason not to make the obvious comparisons. Particularly on a Illini message board that is made for those type of comments.

My excitement level is as high as its been in years.

Last night's game seemed more workmanlike than the USC game, which is cool by me. A steady increase in the lead throughout, weather the storm, build the lead back up. Get the bench involved, save energy for the next night.

Tonight is going to be our best test thus far...

BOLD PREDICTION: If we win, we will be the surprise team of the BIG this year, somewhere in the top 4-5 teams. If we lose, we're still in a good spot for the NCAA tournament (I'm the eternal optimist).
well, like my impressions of his coaching, my impressions of him as a person have evolved.

as to the comparisons, I agree it's natural, it's just the ad nauseum mentions of it, even on the most minute details, is a little tiresome. often the comparisons just aren't apt. after all, the Clemson game was a bigger comeback than the Hawaii game, but it's all but forgotten by people trying to score useless points.

I think that it was absurd how difficult it was for our team to get the ball in bounds under Weber. we've quickly moved away from those problems, and in fact have scored off the inbounds play. but pointing that out in games 1 2 and 3 is one thing...4 and 5, another...pretty old to be talking about it in games 8 through 10.

I'm sure the players, and a lot of the fans, want to discuss this team much more than "the past".

I'd actually love an inevitable comparison thread that we could all put those comments in after every game, comment, recruiting hit/miss etc.

biggest differnce of course is that I really really reallly enjoy watching these guys play.
DG1985 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:15 AM   #127
WizardBill
Illini optimist
After watching HC JG in the presser, I am not convinced that he (HC JG) has not changed his mind regarding the Maui invitational. He said (before the tournament) that it is not a trip he wanted. I am unsure he still feels that way.
WizardBill is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:17 AM   #128
MitchFromAtwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Yesterday, Illinois added youtube highlights at Noon, maybe again for Chaminade highlights we have to wait for Hawaii time.
Thanks, Dan. I'll keep my eyes open.
MitchFromAtwood is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:23 AM   #129
Illini_1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyIllini View Post
alright guys i'll be the first to say it... I'm going to miss Hu.:laugh:
I'll play along...

Hu are you going to miss?

Edit -> With thanks to Laurel and Hardy.

Edit2 -> Oops, make that Abbott and Costello.

Last edited by Illini_1979; Nov 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM.
Illini_1979 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:32 AM   #130
FinalFour88
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardBill View Post
After watching HC JG in the presser, I am not convinced that he (HC JG) has not changed his mind regarding the Maui invitational. He said (before the tournament) that it is not a trip he wanted. I am unsure he still feels that way.
I'm sure he's very happy with how the Hawaii trip has gone so far (guaranteed at worst a 3-1 record now), but I wouldn't expect him to plan a return trip any time soon.
FinalFour88 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:44 AM   #131
cjcastan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalFour88 View Post
I'm sure he's very happy with how the Hawaii trip has gone so far (guaranteed at worst a 3-1 record now), but I wouldn't expect him to plan a return trip any time soon.
Maybe not to play the rainbow warriors but if this program is where everyone wants it in 4 years. I think you gotta take a maui invite.

The exposure of the brand, the way the alums come out in force and have fun, these are very positive things for our athletic department. Especially with the conference expansion, these types of invites to the premium tournies like Maui and Atlantis may come less often. Gotta have Illini Nation in the national eye when we can.

Other than maybe not playing hawaii and instead playing a Cali game would be the only thing to change.
cjcastan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:45 AM   #132
Illini2015
Watching Sportscenter and Joe Bertrand's rebound and put back checked in at #10 in the top 10. Can't remember a rebound making it into the SC top 10?
Illini2015 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:47 AM   #133
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenanigans View Post
I think it is time.................................................

I think it is time to stop mentioning "The Previous Coach" after every positive thing we say about this current team. I know everyone is excited, I am too! Bruce was a class act, I met him twice and he was very gracious to my family and I. Also, I don't think he is a dunce among basketball coaches. His style ran stagnant here and it was definately time for a change. That said, lets enjoy Groce and lets point out the positive things about him without mentioning Bruce.

We haven't played a very good team yet, Butler is a good team and a true test. These past couple of wins have been very impressive, I love this style of play. Lets hope we see this continue.
Good Post. Agree on all counts.
PointGuardU01 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:48 AM   #134
FredrickFremont
Banned
Groce's authoritativeness in these post-game pressers is excellent. I love the way he said, about Nnanna guarding a 6'4" guy, that it was "A-typical".

Does he remind anyone else of Ed Harris's turn as Gene Kranz?
FredrickFremont is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:30 AM   #135
saltygrapes
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofIChE06 View Post
I have to disagree. DJ is doing things he has not done in the past. He is rebounding much better and he is at least a threat to attack the basket. He will never be like Abrams or Bertrand because that isn't his game. He is the team's best 3 pt shooter. He is the guy in JG's offense that needs to be there for the kick out, much like in the Hawaii game. All he needs as far as slashing is to keep the defense honest so that he doesn't get crowded. He is basically the opposite case of Bertrand, who needed to develop a solid 3 pt shot so that defenses could sag off of him like they did at the end of last year. Both seem to have accomplished their goals in the early season.
So far, no he's not.

Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:30 AM   #136
freebird6
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltygrapes View Post
Meh., none of them are true threats on the block, .
Give that one up because that is not part of the Groce system. Ohio never had a low post presence because the system relies on the bigs running rim to rim, being mobile, setting screens, reading the roll and hitting shots fromthe elbow, baseline and driving the lane. There is not a call for a back to the basket low post guy in the dynamic and wide open up tempo, pace driven offense Coach employs. Look for bigs that run like gazelles and rely on skills rather than beasts that dominate. On D look for aggressive help and X ing out of screens switching down low. I guess what I am saying is let go of your tried and true paradigms as you are not going to be happy if you keep trying to make his teams fit your vision.
freebird6 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:44 AM   #137
EddiesSweetJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardBill View Post
I was under the impression that the trip to play UH before the Maui invite was what he didn't like.

He has always liked the Maui Invitational Tournament ... he has said as much. He grew up watching it and loved it.

It was the stop to play Hawaii BEFORE the tourney that he was not a big fan of. And it showed as they almost lost that one.
EddiesSweetJ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:52 AM   #138
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddiesSweetJ View Post
I was under the impression that the trip to play UH before the Maui invite was what he didn't like.

He has always liked the Maui Invitational Tournament ... he has said as much. He grew up watching it and loved it.

It was the stop to play Hawaii BEFORE the tourney that he was not a big fan of. And it showed as they almost lost that one.
This is correct!!
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:01 PM   #139
illinisc
Quote:

you are correct. Hawaii was a trap game and he knew it. Groce would be crazy to turn down a future invite to the Maui Invitational or any other major early season tournaments. The exposure and opportunity to play top teams on a neutral floor is way too good to pass up.
illinisc is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:14 PM   #140
justsomedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird6 View Post
Give that one up because that is not part of the Groce system. Ohio never had a low post presence because the system relies on the bigs running rim to rim, being mobile, setting screens, reading the roll and hitting shots fromthe elbow, baseline and driving the lane. There is not a call for a back to the basket low post guy in the dynamic and wide open up tempo, pace driven offense Coach employs. Look for bigs that run like gazelles and rely on skills rather than beasts that dominate. On D look for aggressive help and X ing out of screens switching down low. I guess what I am saying is let go of your tried and true paradigms as you are not going to be happy if you keep trying to make his teams fit your vision.
It's pretty tough to get a dominate big in the MAC. If he could get Okafor, he'd make it part of his system just like he did with Oden (He was called the OC of those teams).

He's alwasy going to want spacing and pace. He'll always prefer threes to 15 - 20 foot shots and he'll always use some ball screens, but I think you will see some flexibility to talent whenever he can get an elite kid.
justsomedude is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:16 PM   #141
justsomedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinisc View Post
you are correct. Hawaii was a trap game and he knew it. Groce would be crazy to turn down a future invite to the Maui Invitational or any other major early season tournaments. The exposure and opportunity to play top teams on a neutral floor is way too good to pass up.
I agree that was his major concern, but we did have a chance to be in the Battle for Atlantis next year (with a stronger field than Maui) but decided to pass.)
justsomedude is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:23 PM   #142
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:

I believe you are correct in this case. However he's also been adamant about wanting more home games in the future, and the only way to get those given our current commitments (ACC/B1G challenge, UC game, Braggin Rights) is to give up a neutral site exempt event like Maui. So it's doubtful you'll see us playing in something like this again in the future very often.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:28 PM   #143
illinisc
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
I believe you are correct in this case. However he's also been adamant about wanting more home games in the future, and the only way to get those given our current commitments (ACC/B1G challenge, UC game, Braggin Rights) is to give up a neutral site exempt event like Maui. So it's doubtful you'll see us playing in something like this again in the future very often.
I really hope that's not the case. Its rare that you'll ever get a quality non-conference opponent to come to your home court.

I do agree that we shouldn't play in some of the tournaments that we've played in the past several years. The South Padre, Las Vegas and the god awful one we played in last year are the ones that immediately come to mind, but how could you turn down Maui, Coaches vs. Cancer or the NIT?

Last edited by illinisc; Nov 21, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
illinisc is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:29 PM   #144
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Really? I want to win for sure, but don't have any animosity for Stevens. Great mid-major coach who runs a clean program. What is there to hate?
How do we know this? Is there a an official list somewhere I am not aware of that shows which coaches run clean programs and which run dirty programs?

Besides, I thought John Groce ran the only clean program in all the NCAA?

Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:35 PM   #145
CrazedUIFan
UI Fan in QC Land
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini2015 View Post
Watching Sportscenter and Joe Bertrand's rebound and put back checked in at #10 in the top 10. Can't remember a rebound making it into the SC top 10?
Crazy Mad Hops!
CrazedUIFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:38 PM   #146
PeoriaSteve
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedUIFan View Post
Spot on. We have not played a team that can really pressure our guards. Towards the end of the game last night, Chaminade picked up the defensive pressure and Abrams struggled a little. I also thought our D was a little out of sync for some of the game. They had some good looks, but they just shot horribly. I didn't see Chaminade play Texas, but the entire time I couldn't figure out how they beat them. I'm still cautiously optimistic, but I know we will play far better teams than we have thus far. Tonight is a big one. Butler is fundamentally sound and a smart team.

First time I've seen Lanford play some significant minutes. I think he has a ways to go before we see a lot of minutes from him. He looks a little lost out there yet. I thought Groce did a great job getting our starters rest. It helps when you have that type of lead. The key was that the bench did a nice job maintaining it. Bertrand looked terrific. If he can continue to shoot well from the outside, he is going to be scary. Tough to defend a player that versatile.
Groce seems to disagree with you. He specifically mentioned Langford in his post game interview as one of the guys off the bench that gave the team energy. He hit a 3, had a steal and helped on thee boards. I thought he was effective.
PeoriaSteve is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:40 PM   #147
Dan
Admin

IlliniProductionsHD
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:43 PM   #148
ThreeInOne4Ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG1985 View Post
well, like my impressions of his coaching, my impressions of him as a person have evolved.

as to the comparisons, I agree it's natural, it's just the ad nauseum mentions of it, even on the most minute details, is a little tiresome. often the comparisons just aren't apt. after all, the Clemson game was a bigger comeback than the Hawaii game, but it's all but forgotten by people trying to score useless points.

I think that it was absurd how difficult it was for our team to get the ball in bounds under Weber. we've quickly moved away from those problems, and in fact have scored off the inbounds play. but pointing that out in games 1 2 and 3 is one thing...4 and 5, another...pretty old to be talking about it in games 8 through 10.

I'm sure the players, and a lot of the fans, want to discuss this team much more than "the past".

I'd actually love an inevitable comparison thread that we could all put those comments in after every game, comment, recruiting hit/miss etc.

biggest differnce of course is that I really really reallly enjoy watching these guys play.
I agree with this and would even expand to outright declare that people are using incredibly selective memory about Bruce Weber against rash generalizations from a small sample size of John Groce.

I'll start off by saying I'm glad we are where we are. Both Bruce and Illinois needed to move on. Groce, while not exciting right away for me, has really encouraged me with his attitude and style and recruiting mojo.

However, how many people were making the same complaints about Weber that they are right now when we knocked off Ohio State last year, or after the Gonzaga game, or after the likes of Michigan State and Clemson the year or two before that?

Or the whole season of Chester and Trent's senior year (up until Chester's injury, of course)? Remember the comeback against Northwestern in Evanston? Beating an Evan Turner-led Ohio State squad and a Manny Harris-led Michigan squad on the road? Putting down Indiana twice?

Remember Jay Bilas delcaring "Illinois is back" after we played Duke decently in Maui our last trip? Or Dukie V saying the same during the MSU GameDay game? People rode the exact same highs then as they are now.

Point is, people, there were games and days where Weber's teams looked really good and were fun to watch as well.

While I've certainly liked the confident play, 5 games of the John Groce era don't really say or show anything other than we all needed some change and have gotten it. We could still be in for some bumps though, and I really don't look forward to dealing with some of the same posters bipolarity on nights that our outside shots don't fall and we lose by 20 (and that WILL happen).
ThreeInOne4Ever is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:03 PM   #149
Botb9
Realist
First time I got to see the Berardini crossover. Sick!

Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:17 PM   #150
WizardBill
Illini optimist
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird6 View Post
...the system relies on the bigs running rim to rim, being mobile, setting screens, reading the roll and hitting shots fromthe elbow, baseline and driving the lane. There is not a call for a back to the basket low post guy in the dynamic and wide open up tempo, pace driven offense Coach employs. Look for bigs that run like gazelles and rely I skills....
This description makes me wish ML had stayed!
WizardBill is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »