Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois 78, Butler 61 POSTGAME

Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:54 PM   #151
IlliniSpine
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniBond View Post
I am especially happy for TG - Butler was creeping back into the game, and his back to back 3's to extend the lead from 6 back to 12 not only stopped the bleeding, but seemed to take the heart out of the Butler team.

It looks like TG will thrive in this offense.
Yes..last's year TG was heartbroken now he's a heartbreaker and will-taker!
IlliniSpine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:54 PM   #152
Gunner23
Quote:
Can he petition the NCAA for an extra year of eligibility due to inept coaching during his prior years under scholarship?
Gunner23 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:55 PM   #153
sdfidaho
Quote:
I am especially happy for TG - Butler was creeping back into the game, and his back to back 3's to extend the lead from 6 back to 12 not only stopped the bleeding, but seemed to take the heart out of the Butler team.

+1
sdfidaho is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:55 PM   #154
Blessd24
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
Dude seriously.

It's the wednesday before turkey day and the ESPN chicago site gets like what 1000 unique visitors a day?

We just had an awesome 2.5 hour commercial for Illinois Basketball on the main channel of the world wide leader.
I wasn't complaining about the site. I just was making a joke about our states deb....Er....biggest city.

Chill ladies.
Blessd24 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:55 PM   #155
illinibob
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKrush View Post
ESPN Chicago normally gives us pretty good coverage. Probably just not updated yet
What Illinois does is no longer big news, Bruce made us bad, dull and minimally relevant. Hopefully that will now start to change.
illinibob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:55 PM   #156
Orangetool
Quote:

I am also happy for Griffey, he seems to have really benefited from this change. He looks like he is enjoying basketball, maybe for the first time at Illinois.

Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:55 PM   #157
DaytonIllini
Fun!

And I have not been able to say that about UI BB for awhile. Go Illini!

Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:55 PM   #158
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
We are frequently going to be out rebounded with Griffey, McLaurin and Egwu manning the two inside positions. But as long as we are not dominated in the paint, we can still win by taking advantage of our ability to spread the court. Though Butler beat us on the boards, I thought we did a good job of holding our own inside, and Griffey's two straight 3-point shots were crucial when we were struggling to score.

Over time, we need to do a better job of hitting big men sliding to the basket off the pick and roll, but I don't think we are ever going to rely much on a straight post up game.
We haven't rebounded well the last few years either. Plus, a number of good teams seem to be playing smaller. I liked how much more aggressively we played inside in the tournament (after the Hawaii game). So, hopefully it will continue to improve. That seems to be the main weakness at this point.

I really like how much better defense we are playing and how much better we are taking care of the ball. I'm not sure I've seen BP3 lob a crappy pass yet this year.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:56 PM   #159
WizardBill
Illini optimist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
...Over time, we need to do a better job of hitting big men sliding to the basket off the pick and roll, but I don't think we are ever going to rely much on a straight post up game.
Agreed. I do not think HC JG's Illini will use a straight up post player in the offense. I did not see it v. Chaminade, but I did not get to see tonight's game.
WizardBill is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:57 PM   #160
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetool View Post
I am also happy for Griffey, he seems to have really benefited from this change. He looks like he is enjoying basketball, maybe for the first time at Illinois.
Enjoying and playing with great confidence.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:57 PM   #161
CharlesLawrence
Banned
I said the score would be 78-70 Illini; 2 out of 3 ain't bad.
CharlesLawrence is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:57 PM   #162
justsomedude
Awesome tournament!!!!

So happy for the guys, especially the seniors. I would guess there aren't as many guys still saying that we shouldn't be shooting many threes. Ecause we can't shoot.
justsomedude is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:57 PM   #163
sinmyp
I seriously has some tears in my eyes. I am starting to feel again and am realizing just how painful the last 5 years have been. What a relief that I can look forward to watching my team without fear in my heart just joy

Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:57 PM   #164
ChiTownIllini22
Banned
Aside from TG's two threes, I thought the play of the game might have been the pick and roll with BP and McLovin. The pass was not great, but McLovin tipped it to himself with his left and hand and got the and-one.
ChiTownIllini22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:57 PM   #165
IlliniSpine
Banned
Glad to see MH and DL get some play pre BIG ten conf. play. We will need their production in a rough league and early experience and play can only help.
IlliniSpine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:58 PM   #166
Illini70math
9 Observations from the Butler Game:

1. First, it is really great to see Brandon Paul, DJ Richardson, Tyler Griffey, and Sam McClaurin achieve something really special in their final year at Illinois. No matter what, they have done something special by winning the Maui Classic. Not only did they dominate every game, but they never trailed in any game in the Maui Classic.

2. I hope we can put to rest once and for all any question about whether the cupboard was bare at Illinois this season. We have several extremely talented players and even more quality players who can play key roles. For those who thought that the 15-3 record was a fluke while the 2-12 collapse was the "real" measure of these players, that was plainly wrong. These guys can play basketball at a very high level. The change in philosophy and systems has been a perfect match for this group, and it has given them new life. These guys need to be recognized for the talented players that they are in a system that matches their skills.

3. One key to this game is that the Illini were able to dictate the tempo, which I found surprising. Stevens is a fine coach, but a major part of our ability to dominate was forcing Butler to play our game. Coach Groce talked about "setting the rules" in the game, and we did.

4. Butler plays an extremely physical game, but our Illini fought them toe to toe. Tracy has made a huge sophomore leap, and he has become the heart of this team. He brings both physical and mental toughness to the entire team.

5. The player who has made the biggest leap in some respects is Tyler Griffey. Some fans suggested that Tyler "is what he is after three years" and could not become a major factor for this team. Tyler has proven them wrong. He is the clearest example of the huge impact of the aggressive philosophy and playing style that the new staff has brought to our team.

6. I would be remiss to not mention the incredible game turned in by Rotnei Clarke. I remember seeing video of him in high school, and I thought he would become a special player. He has become a special player. It just goes to show that the ability to handle and shoot the ball are more important than size and athleticism in college basketball.

7. As good as our offense has been, the part of our game that has impressed me the most is the way our players have mastered a completely new defensive system. I thought that our superior length and athleticism could make us even better than Ohio on defense, and it appears we are headed there.

8. The most amazing comment by an announcer about this Illini team: "It's so tough to press a team like the Illini with so many ballhandlers!" How many Illini fans thought we would hear that this season!

9. Let's enjoy the heck out of this great Maui trip. My only concern is that some of our fans will be jumping off ledges -- no, not out of desperation, but because they think they can fly! Stop flapping your arms and stay on the ledge. We have made great progress up to this point, but we have a long way to go, and likely some tough days ahead. We have played well, but we have also been smiled on by the basketball gods in terms of the opponents we have faced. Stay thirsty, my friends!

Go Illini!
Illini70math is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:59 PM   #167
WizardBill
Illini optimist
I picked us to win by 19.
WizardBill is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:59 PM   #168
JimmyChitwood
Great Tournament and great win. Average margin of victory was around 20 lol. Pretty dominating stuff right there. Doing the happy dance.
JimmyChitwood is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:59 PM   #169
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownIllini22 View Post
Aside from TG's two threes, I thought the play of the game might have been the pick and roll with BP and McLovin. The pass was not great, but McLovin tipped it to himself with his left and hand and got the and-one.
We still don't know how to make an entry pass, but on the positive side this offense doesn't require as many entry passes.

Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:59 PM   #170
PeoriaChief
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTMinded View Post
I really hope his shot stays true outside of Hawaii. He really benefitted from the soft rims.
Have you been able to watch our 2 home games this year? I wouldn't worry.
PeoriaChief is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:00 PM   #171
Illini Sports
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessd24 View Post
That's because Chicago sucks in every imaginable way.
That's a pretty ignorant comment and one not based in reality. Especially considering Chicago the city with the largest Illini alumni base in the world.
Illini Sports is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:01 PM   #172
rrmarte
In regards to the announcers tonight, they said a few things that were music to my ears after hearing our beloved fanbase discuss this team leading up to the season.

1. A discussion about MVP of the tournament.....Tyler Griffey was mentioned!!
2. A comment when Butler was pressing. "It's really tough to press when they have so many good ball handlers on the floor."
3. The Illini never trailed in the entire tournament.
rrmarte is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:01 PM   #173
Alfonz24
They have done it Tess!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfidaho View Post
Anyone else not feel a bit nervous when Butler pulled to within 5 points? I never felt like we were going to lose tonight. For the last few years, I never felt like we were going to win games when it got close.
Felt good.
I prior years I would be worried that the Illini would not score the rest of the game with empty possessions. Not this year
Alfonz24 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:01 PM   #174
illinihawk16
Former Lurker
So excited for Illini basketball this year. None of our opponents were "top-caliber", but none were really that terrible either. The most impressive part of this tournament was how we took care of business. No game was really ever that close and we played with intensity.

I really hope we don't have a letdown against Gardner-Webb. We need to take that team seriously (they had a huge lead at Iowa a few days back) and we have to readjust to the time difference.

With that said, huge congrats to this team!!
illinihawk16 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:02 PM   #175
HsvIllini
For those wondering when the team's getting back:

Quote:
Illinois Basketball ‏@IlliniHoops
@IllinoisLoyalty Team is flying back overnight. Won't be back in CU until tomorrow evening. Will be driving down from O'Hare so time is TBA.
HsvIllini is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »