Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Conference Realignment Thread (Maryland & Rutgers join the Big Ten conference)

Closed Thread

Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:01 PM   #701
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilThorpe View Post
For the life of me I cant see what Texas would want to jump to either coast , even if to the ACC if they let me keep the Tier 3 rights, so I can play 80% of my away games in college towns 800-1200 miles away & dont give a crap about football ?

Moving to the ACC for football is like moving to MAC for basketball. Not a good move.

Not. Gonna . Happen.
If there are going to be 4 super conferences then 1 of the ACC/B12 is going away. Which one? Some of the teams in the ACC or B12 are going to get left out. Which ones? This is all a crapshoot at this point.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:08 PM   #702
ct3illini
After reading the above posts, starting to think Ga Tech would be a better addition than UVA. Better research school, bigger market, and perhaps even "culturally" better fit? Sports are good enough, plenty of talent in GA, even if they are dominated by UGA. Maybe B1G would take them even without UNC?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:10 PM   #703
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct3illini View Post
After reading the above posts, starting to think Ga Tech would be a better addition than UVA. Better research school, bigger market, and perhaps even "culturally" better fit? Sports are good enough, plenty of talent in GA, even if they are dominated by UGA. Maybe B1G would take them even without UNC?
Nothing seems off the table at this point but in my mind UNC is the only other ACC school you take by themselves.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:21 PM   #704
GilThorpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibb52 View Post
Nothing seems off the table at this point but in my mind UNC is the only other ACC school you take by themselves.
perhaps, but 3 weeks ago you would have laughed if I said the B1G would take Maryland by themselves from the ACC, and we didnt take them just to round out to 14 because we had to snap up Rutgers real quick

UNC is coveted. no doubt

but imo, both UVa & GT are possibilities , as I dont think UNC comes in alone and is forever cited as the reason for the demise of the ACC, but we all know that without UNC, the ACC is nothing really.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:24 PM   #705
lexwaldez
Four super conferences, one champion from each division (I mean conference) and maybe some wildcards. Hmmmm.... could it be? Smells like money.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:26 PM   #706
GilThorpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibb52 View Post
If there are going to be 4 super conferences then 1 of the ACC/B12 is going away. Which one? Some of the teams in the ACC or B12 are going to get left out. Which ones? This is all a crapshoot at this point.
this whole thing is 100% football driven. Basketball, baseball, lacrosse, girls rowing and girls rifle all mean NOTHING. The B12 is a darn good football league. The ACC is not. Enough said.

The weaklings in the B12 survive. The weaklings in the ACC better start selling tickets to off season donkey basketball -- Seniors vs Faculty -- to make a little extra money.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:30 PM   #707
gibb52
All sorts of scenarios could play out. When I was thinking of 4 supers I was think of 4 with relatively even # of teams. If so the PAC would have to come East and gobble up 4 somewhere.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:14 PM   #708
Serious Late
Location: Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque via Chicago via Champaign via Peoria
Quote:
what difference does it make? Do you think C-USA schools are getting any bigger bowl payout than SunBelt schools?

There is no incentive from an overall standpoint for the mid majors to switch conferences because the money doesnt really change
Because I am interested in the overall shift taking place in college sports and would find it interesting to get the perspective of the little guy through all this. I don't know what C-USA schools are getting relative to other schools, but I am interested to hear his opinion... Which is why I asked the question.

Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:57 PM   #709
Groundhogday
Quote:
perhaps, but 3 weeks ago you would have laughed if I said the B1G would take Maryland by themselves from the ACC, and we didnt take them just to round out to 14 because we had to snap up Rutgers real quick.
Actually, there was a lot of talk about Maryland the last time around and many of us saw them as a desirable target but unlikely to accept an offer.

Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:42 PM   #710
Clemens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
The B1G would take ND in a heartbeat IF they agreed to be an equal member with no special considerations. But I increasingly believe that will never happen.
That's a very big IF when it comes to ND. Even if they agreed to be an equal member, I'm still not sure a couple members of the B1G wouldn't veto them regardless of any concessions made by ND. The B1G has asked ND to dance several times now, revenge may not be wise, but it is a motivator.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:01 PM   #711
IlliniKat91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemens View Post
That's a very big IF when it comes to ND. Even if they agreed to be an equal member, I'm still not sure a couple members of the B1G wouldn't veto them regardless of any concessions made by ND. The B1G has asked ND to dance several times now, revenge may not be wise, but it is a motivator.
It's a cash cow that really does pull in a solid NYC market. You grit your teeth, swallow your pride, and get over this whole "We rejected them back in the day, now they've been rejecting us, so we'll never have anything to do with them again" mentality.

At least, that's what I would do if I were calling the shots. Unfortunately, I'm not.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:07 AM   #712
Illini87InClt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemens View Post
I expect that if ND swallowed their pride and accepted being an equal member in all B1G athletic programs, that the B1G members would reciprocate and vote to accept ND conference membership. Money will trump any and all bitter feelings between the B1G and ND.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:14 AM   #713
Illini87InClt
The uncertain part is whether ND will reach the point that they accept equal member status including football. With ND's success this season, this will probably strengthen ND's resistance to acceptance of equal membership. The B1G and ND make so much more historical and geographical sense than ND competing in the ACC, so this is frustrating.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:16 AM   #714
mattcoldagelli
There's some low-level smoke out there that we're going back to the ACC with our next move, and soon (which means GT or UVA). We might end up locking ND out of our house and burning down the one they were close to closing on.

@mattcoldagelli

Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:30 AM   #715
Sybok
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
There's some low-level smoke out there that we're going back to the ACC with our next move, and soon (which means GT or UVA). We might end up locking ND out of our house and burning down the one they were close to closing on.
There is plenty of room available in the Big XII before it makes a 16 team football conference. If the ACC can't cut it as a 16 team super conference, it seems that would eventually force an ND/TX alliance in the Big XII.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:03 AM   #716
rsbc vet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybok View Post
There is plenty of room available in the Big XII before it makes a 16 team football conference. If the ACC can't cut it as a 16 team super conference, it seems that would eventually force an ND/TX alliance in the Big XII.
Here's the thing about the 4x16 Superconference set-up: I just don't think it will work. ND wants to remain independent, Texas wants to be in a small conference, and time zone issues limit Pac12 expansion opportunities.

There will be some further re-alignment followed by a fairly lengthy stable period with a new-look BCS that includes the five major conferences (no AQ for Big East). The playoff format will eventually expand to include 8 teams (5 conference champs plus 3 at large). Big question is how ND gets treated in that format. Will they have to qualify in the same manner as other non-AQ programs like Boise State? Or will there be some preferential treatment for them to enter with one of those three at-large spots.

I could see that set up stabilizing for 10-20 years through a few more rounds of TV contract negotiations. If the distance between the haves and have nots within that format expands, then we could see some additional shifting.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:54 AM   #717
champaignchris
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbc vet View Post
There will be some further re-alignment followed by a fairly lengthy stable period with a new-look BCS that includes the five major conferences (no AQ for Big East). The playoff format will eventually expand to include 8 teams (5 conference champs plus 3 at large). Big question is how ND gets treated in that format. Will they have to qualify in the same manner as other non-AQ programs like Boise State? Or will there be some preferential treatment for them to enter with one of those three at-large spots.
The playoffs will clearly have to expand from four. Just look at the results this year. 1. Notre Dame, 2. SEC champ, 3. Kansas St., and #4 is? Do you think that the head honchos at the Pac-12, Big Ten and ACC are going to like a 4-way playoff that excludes 2 out of their three 11-2 conference champions? Or even a system that excludes all three for a second SEC team like 11-1 Florida?

I think you're going to see an 8 team playoff with each of the 5 major conferences getting an auto bid and then three at-large bids, one of which is guaranteed to the best "little 5" conference champ if it fulfills certain requirements.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:57 AM   #718
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
this whole thing is 100% football driven. Basketball, baseball, lacrosse, girls rowing and girls rifle all mean NOTHING. The B12 is a darn good football league. The ACC is not. Enough said.
It's not so much football-driven as it is money-driven. Because there are fewer football games, each football game is worth maybe 3-4 times as much as a basketball game. So those other things DO have value, especially when you're thinking about an all-sports network like BTN that is looking for new live content.

@mattcoldagelli

Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:17 AM   #719
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Report: Georgia Tech approved by Big Ten to become 15th member

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/201...ence-expansion
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:20 AM   #720
dansaint
so i wonder who will be sweet #16?

Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:23 AM   #721
champaignchris
Wow! We'll see if this has legs...
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:24 AM   #722
frankfortillini
Tech would be a great addition - hope it's true.

So what, give ND one last shot then close on UNC?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:28 AM   #723
jackman404
Banned
Delaney must feel that if you take GaTech, that causes FSU/Clemson to flee to the Big 12, causing UNC to come into play. IF this is true, I'm stunned that it's all happening so fast.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:30 AM   #724
frankfortillini
Gotta make FSU and Clemson run. Then the fun starts.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:31 AM   #725
jackman404
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfortillini View Post
Gotta make FSU and Clemson run. Then the fun starts.
Exactly. Those are the two support beams holding up the football side of the conference. If they fall, the entire conference will crumble.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »