Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Dec 2, 2012, 05:21 PM   #1176
illini73
Did Tate take a lot of shots and miss them or did he just run the offense, play D and find the open man? 2pts is bad if he missed a lot of shots, but it is not bad if he did everything else well.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 05:40 PM   #1177
illinijan
I thought he only took 2 shots. He made a nice driving contested lay-up to score the first points of the game. He shot a three that barley missed and had good rotation later.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 05:42 PM   #1178
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini73 View Post
Did Tate take a lot of shots and miss them or did he just run the offense, play D and find the open man? 2pts is bad if he missed a lot of shots, but it is not bad if he did everything else well.
The article in the Tribune said 4 steals and 9 assists, so...
Old Dec 2, 2012, 05:43 PM   #1179
illinijan
He only played slightly more than 1/2 the game and I thought he looked great.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 06:07 PM   #1180
TEYPAY
Spfld games (some already reported - did watch all the games):
- Finke - legit 6' 9 1/2" (from his dad) - still undecided. Great touch and appears to have a high basketball IQ. Nice corner shot - needs to get stronger (don't all juniors??) but has frame that could handle it. NOTE - 2 younger brothers... usually the youngest is the best...

- Austin - linebacker / defensive back body - very well built but quick and great hops. Still doesn't play point all the times but you can see glimpses. Great athlete. Good form on FT - still not a great outside shooter.

Ulis - looked to be every bit of 5'10" but still small frame. Great IQ - just didn't make mistakes. Didn't miss open / easy shots. Great FT shooter. Didn't hit any 3's - only attempted one.

Some other comments-
-Darius Austin - wasn't that impressed. 6'7" or so but I think will struggle at the next level for a position (if it is high D-1)
- Champ. Cent. is good - they also have a 6 foot or so jr. point guard - very fast. Handled pressure very well.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 06:44 PM   #1181
Illinoy
Quote:
He honestly didnt take many shots. I couldnt even remember the other shot he took outside of the early layup. He definitely has the ability to penetrate the lane and when he does he's looking to distribute to the man's open due to switches/collapses in the defense.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 08:41 PM   #1182
illini73
Anyone know if Colbert has played a game yet? If so how did he do?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:11 PM   #1183
combes
Colbert has to sit out the first part of the season due to transfer rules.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:14 PM   #1184
Dan
Admin
Quote:
at Notre Dame for the Cyrus McGinnis Jump Ball Showcase. TF North-Bogan, two chronically underrated teams, about to tip off. TF North beats Bogan 51-48 in double overtime.

Battle of big men next: Benet's Sean O'Mara vs. Curie's Cliff Alexander

Alexander vs. O'Mara a bit of a dud so far. Benet struggling with Curie's pressure, Curie can't get the ball to Alexander

Jimmy just gave #Illinois coach John Groce his "in the gym" shout out. Groce ignored it at first, then had a delayed wave.

Big Cliff sighting! Alexander slams home a rebound and gets fouled. 33-31 Curie leads Benet with Alexander at the line.

Richardson misses layup, Alexander misses tip, than grabs rebound and misses putback. Benet knocks off Curie 37-36.

Notre Dame and Morgan Park about to tip off. New black uniforms for the Mustangs.

#Illinois coach John Groce sitting next to Simeon coach Robert Smith for this one.

http://twitter.com/michaelsobrien
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:39 PM   #1185
Serious Late
Location: Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque via Chicago via Champaign via Peoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Jimmy just gave #Illinois coach John Groce his "in the gym" shout out. Groce ignored it at first, then had a delayed wave.
Whaaaaat is this? Is Jimmy the P.A. announcer orrrrr....

Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:52 PM   #1186
bigillinfan11
Why did Groce ignore it at first, was he talking to someone?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:03 PM   #1187
Public
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Late View Post
Whaaaaat is this? Is Jimmy the P.A. announcer orrrrr....
Sorry for my ignorance but I need some help here. What's this about?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:03 PM   #1188
illbasketfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigillinfan11 View Post
Why did Groce ignore it at first, was he talking to someone?
Yes he was talking to Travis Steele at the time pretty good games today
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:15 PM   #1189
illiniparkie
Quote:
[L. J.] Peak scored 17 points and will grab more attention and more interest from Midwest college programs. Look for both Marquette and Illinois to get involved with Peak sooner than later....

This fall Jaylon Tate looked like a different player while playing with his Simeon teammates. Tate confirmed to the Hoops Report he felt like a different player in a blog this past fall. He backed up that talk in the opening game of the season, an easy win over Georgia defending state champ Milton. Tate is so much more comfortable this season, playing free and easy and turned in as impressive of a four-point performance as one could have. Tate took care of the basketball and directed his team while showcasing his greatest strength -- passing the basketball. He had several pinpoint assists, finishing with nine for the game. While Morgan Park's Kyle Davis and Billy Garrett, Jr. will have something to say about this, the Jaylon Tate-Kendrick Nunn tandem is arguably the best in the state.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/hoopsrepor...hicago_el.html
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:43 PM   #1190
Strobes77
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomedude View Post
I'm not upset chew moved on. I found the narrative that Marquette was in a substantially better place amusing. Thankfully Nunn didn't overreact to that narrative.

Just a little extra joy if we do better than them.
It's not necessarily the "better school" for Chew but probably the quickest route to head coach. Marquette likes to hire from within and Buzz is looking to ditch at the first opportunity. Being a lead assistant at MU gives him a shot faster at a better first job.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:31 AM   #1191
theOriginalBluesBrother
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public View Post
Sorry for my ignorance but I need some help here. What's this about?
Yes, who is "Jimmy"?

Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:14 AM   #1192
illini73
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
Colbert has to sit out the first part of the season due to transfer rules.
I thought he transferred last year?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:26 AM   #1193
illini73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinoy View Post
Tate is a pure point. Great vision and passing anticipation. He threw at least 4 alley-oops this game that were impressive.

Nunn is a great scorer and by far the best athlete I saw the entire second session. He outshined parker by far. I'm assuming bc parker is rusty due to his injury.

DJ williams looked real smooth and confident for a sophomore. A gentleman in the aau circuit said he's high on teaming up with st. Rita's charles matthews at u of I.

I couldn't tell who he was but Milton's number 1 was cat quick and a nice pg as well.

Overall simeon was a superior team and just had way more weapons. They won the game by about 20 points.
I hate comparisons (especially when one has not played a college game yet), but Nunn's game is a little reminiscent of Ben Gordon. Undersized SG's with lots of athleticism and streaky (albeit both are pretty consistent) outside shooters.

Just thought I would throw that out there!

FYI: Gordon's RSCI was #41 and Nunn's is #51

Last edited by illini73; Dec 3, 2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:45 AM   #1194
Redbirds33333
Quote:
I hate comparisons (especially when one has not played a college game yet), but Nunn's game is a little reminiscent of Ben Gordon. Undersized SG's with lots of athleticism and streaky (albeit both are pretty consistent) outside shooters.

Just thought I would throw that out there!

FYI: Gordon's RSCI was #41 and Nunn's is #51

I actually like this comparison...I do think Nunn is a better athlete, but definitely can see a resemblance in some aspects.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:58 AM   #1195
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Kendrick Nunn Talks Simeon Opening Win

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhgwO10LMmk&feature=plcp
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:01 AM   #1196
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbirds33333 View Post
I actually like this comparison...I do think Nunn is a better athlete, but definitely can see a resemblance in some aspects.
Some aspects, but Gordon was much more of a shooter and Nunn is more about attacking the basket.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:03 AM   #1197
ChiTownIllini22
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
Some aspects, but Gordon was much more of a shooter and Nunn is more about attacking the basket.
Agree. I think Nunn is more of an all-around player (defense, rebounding, etc.). IMO Gordon was more of a shooter/volume scorer.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:09 AM   #1198
midastouch11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownIllini22 View Post
Agree. I think Nunn is more of an all-around player (defense, rebounding, etc.). IMO Gordon was more of a shooter/volume scorer.
Ben Gordon was the 3rd overall player selected in 2004, and has averaged 16.5 ppg since, lets temper our expectations a little.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:15 AM   #1199
ChiTownIllini22
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by midastouch11 View Post
Ben Gordon was the 3rd overall player selected in 2004, and has averaged 16.5 ppg since, lets temper our expectations a little.
Should have been more clear. I don't think Nunn is anywhere near Gordon as a shooter/scorer. I think he does more things on the court, but doesn't touch Gordon as a shooter/scorer.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:26 AM   #1200
FredrickFremont
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by theOriginalBluesBrother View Post
Yes, who is "Jimmy"?
Yes, I too would like to know who is this Jimmy fellow...?
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »