Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:34 PM   #1401
PillPusherSTL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchP1 View Post
If those 2 already have chemistry like that, just imagine how well they'll play together after 4 years here. I'm excited.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:37 PM   #1402
ChiCityHoops34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbritt View Post
I have watched nothing on Finke; I am just going on what I read. (tall shooter) Is he a Dirk Nowitzki type player? I mean, does he have that kind of ability to play as a wing-type player? Or is he more of a post player that has range more like Wisconsin usually has?
Oh no not the name every tall decent shooting white guy thin again lol
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:45 AM   #1403
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityHoops34 View Post
Queue up the next Ulis discussion!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:48 AM   #1404
PeoriaChief
Quote:
Gotta like that they flash to JG sitting court side. You gotta think JG is starting to take Chicago over. I think the important players on the Chicago scene are really buying into Coach Groce in a big way. They like him and I think they're starting to respect him.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:29 AM   #1405
IlliNYC
Quote:
Tate looked good there--could be avery fun next couple of years with him running the break.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:34 AM   #1406
cjcastan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaChief View Post
You gotta think JG is starting to take Chicago over.
I drink as much orange kool-aid as is medically safe but no one coach will ever, and I say in Chris Jericho kind of way ever take over Chicago.

Unless we start handing out pokey stix boxes filled Benjamins and somehow be supported by Nike, Under Armour, and Adidas at the same time.

As long as JG can get us our fair share from the Chi, lock down central Illinois talent, and pick selected national / canadian talent. We'll be alright.

I do wonder though how JG's relationship with the Irvins is.

Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:34 AM   #1407
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
I'm hoping Finke is a mix of Mike Wilkerson, Jon Luer, Keaton Nankivil, and Jared Berggren. Talk about a hybrid player.
I'd be even happier with a Damir Krupalijia / Tom Michael combo.

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:17 AM   #1408
illbasketfan
Quote:
those guys look really well in a backcourt together. I am surprised I made the tape as well!!!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:23 AM   #1409
midastouch11
Quote:
Originally Posted by illbasketfan View Post
those guys look really well in a backcourt together. I am surprised I made the tape as well!!!
Jabari? I knew it was you!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:36 AM   #1410
rtbritt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityHoops34 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo G View Post
I'd be even happier with a Damir Krupalijia / Tom Michael combo.
Really though, Finke is a tall, thin, white dude who can shoot decent ---I like to compare people to who they are comparable to. I know he isn't a center like Tisdale clearly was. I just want to know if he is like say John Leur (sp?) or more like a Dirk, who is a 4 who plays the perimeter. Leur was a 4 who shot on the perimeter but I think was a more "stretch 4."

Griffey is a stretch 4 post player who clearly is not a perimeter player like Dirk.

I don't know, just trying to get a feel for what kind of player he is.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:38 AM   #1411
rtbritt
Speaking of comparisons. Everytime I watch Bertrand, he reminds me of someone, and I couldn't figure out who until the other day I thought of Josh Howard (Wake Forest and the Mavs, when he was good.) Howard was an average, athletic player for 3 years and his senior year, he was shooting the ball well from 3 and got drafted. I think their shooting strokes look similar as well as their builds. Just my 2 cents.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:38 AM   #1412
TEYPAY
and you wonder what Florida State has to offer....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...83--ncaab.html
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:42 AM   #1413
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEYPAY View Post

They were blowing up Twitter big time also and apparently the halftime show was a tribute to his parents. Talk about all in!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:58 AM   #1414
orange julius
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernIL View Post
I watched Hill play a couple games during the Centralia Tourney and he had over 20 points. Saw him play last year against Edwardsville and they shut him down then too. Hill to me seems like a team first player and maybe since his shots weren't falling he wasn't going to force it much and the other players stepped up. I think Hill is going to excel at Illinois in Groce's offense.
Some people are forgetting that this kid had a life threatening medical condition and is probably still recovering, shaking the rust of his game, and getting his stamina back.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:03 AM   #1415
Monte Carlo
If the outcome of the game was any indication, they really need him there. I know Florida is good, but wow, the 'Noles weren't competitive at all. Wonder if Rathan-Mayes is rethinking his decision?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:52 AM   #1416
midastouch11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Carlo View Post
If the outcome of the game was any indication, they really need him there. I know Florida is good, but wow, the 'Noles weren't competitive at all. Wonder if Rathan-Mayes is rethinking his decision?
He signed on the dotted line, rethinking isn't really an option.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:08 AM   #1417
ILL in Iowa
Quote:

Go Seminoles! How many girls could he possibly "date" in his single season there? Besides he may like the nerdy types! LOL
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:06 PM   #1418
PeoriaChief
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
I drink as much orange kool-aid as is medically safe but no one coach will ever, and I say in Chris Jericho kind of way ever take over Chicago.

Unless we start handing out pokey stix boxes filled Benjamins and somehow be supported by Nike, Under Armour, and Adidas at the same time.

As long as JG can get us our fair share from the Chi, lock down central Illinois talent, and pick selected national / canadian talent. We'll be alright.

Didn't mean takeover like he's going to get any and every player he wants. Maybe "win Chicago over" would have been a better term. He just seems to be getting alot of love, gaining alot of traction, and making strong relationships in such a short time.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:17 PM   #1419
IlliniJim20
Quote:

You forgot having NCAA HQ move to Champaign to be staffed by Illinois Loyalty members:laugh:
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:00 PM   #1420
ComplementaryColors
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
I'm hoping Finke is a mix of Mike Wilkerson, Jon Luer, Keaton Nankivil, and Jared Berggren. Talk about a hybrid player.
I know who Finke reminds me of....Bo Leuwilkivilggren!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:09 PM   #1421
Combo
Quote:

No one will "lock down" Central IL talent or any other City or region. It just doesn't happen. We just lost out on the best talent from Central IL since Shaun Livingston (who we also lost). Kids have free will. As long as we convince a reasonable % from Chicago as well as Central IL, we should be in very good shape. Beyond our State borders is a tougher sale, but Groce isn't shy about trying.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:13 PM   #1422
Illiniwek_2
Quote:
Originally Posted by midastouch11 View Post
He signed on the dotted line, rethinking isn't really an option.
I thought they allow a release from LOI's if there is a coaching change, but that would be the only chance he has to rethink it.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:42 PM   #1423
Illiniwek06
Quote:
We also strongly believe that the outcome of the O'Mara vs. Alexander matchup will end up benefitting O'Mara from a recruiting standpoint. That is because University Of Illinois head coach John Groce as well as assistant coaches from Xavier, Ball State, Illinois-Chicago and Loyola-Chicago were all on hand to watch O'Mara take on Alexander.
Quote:
6'6 2015 wing forward D.J. Williams from Simeon Career Academy in Chicago has received a scholarship offer courtesy of SMU and head coach Larry Brown. Williams ranks as our #1 player in Illinois from the 2015 class.
And, for the Ulis fanboys

Quote:
Kansas State head coach Bruce Weber remains extremely busy and active when it comes to recruiting the Chicago area. This past Tuesday night he was at Marian Catholic High School in Chicago Heights to watch 5'10 2014 point guard Tyler Ulis, who scored 21 points in Marian Catholic's 49-44 win over Joliet West. While the Wildcats have not yet offered a scholarship to Ulis, one gets the feeling that one could be just around the corner.
http://ilprepbullseye.com/OMara_Versus_Alexander.html
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:58 PM   #1424
dcrich1223
http://espn.go.com/chicago/story/_/i...-school-player

Quote:
"I love the new coach," he said. "I talk to Kendrick and Jaylon and they haven't said anything but positive things. I'm really looking at Illinois. I like them."
Quote from Okafor.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:05 PM   #1425
Leonardite
Quote:

I would've committed right then and there.

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »