Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois at Gonzaga, Saturday, December 8th, 9:00pm CT, ESPN2

Closed Thread

Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:58 PM   #326
-josh-
Banana no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
I have a feeling if we lose this game, people will all of a sudden be on the whole "I told you illinois wasnt that good" type of thing. In reality losing at Gonzaga is nothing to be ashamed of. They win their home game son the regular like a good team should. Short of being blown out, I think its unfair for people to use this game to say we arent that good, because is Gonzaga is supposed to win this game. But if we win, obviously that is huge and everyone will officially say "the illini are back baby!" Theres going to be some interesting media play following this game.
Yeah the national media is just waiting to pounce on us after this one if we lose. Like dogs on a leash... But screw em, even if we go into the BIG with 2/3 losses (eastern kentucky is going to be a tough game) were still a top 25 team and then we just have to finish .500 in conference to get a bid.

Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:12 PM   #327
theanonymousillini
Props to Gonzaga fans. These guys know how to have fun. I hope we can continue to play this team each year.

http://gonzagakennelclub.wordpress.c...t-on-illinois/
Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:17 PM   #328
Botb9
Realist
Yeah, don't get blown out. This is another chance to show off on the national stage. Let's not waste it.

Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:10 PM   #329
IlliniSteve
If we come out and battle, that's all I can ask for. Not expecting a win, Gonzaga is really tough. But I want a hard fought effort no matter what.

Gonzaga - 79
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:13 PM   #330
gandalf
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor???!!!!
i am sure you meant to type "Japanese" instead of "Germans", didnt you?

My own plan to take care of Gonzaga is to shamelessly foul their bigs late in the game. Karnowski makes Dwight Howard look good from the charity stripe.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:15 PM   #331
OrangeAndBlue217
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post

My own plan to take care of Gonzaga is to shamelessly foul their bigs late in the game. Karnowski makes Dwight Howard look good from the charity stripe.
Based on what I have seen them do against other teams with athletic guards, not nearly as good as ours, they have left him on the bench. I dont expect he will play a lot against us. Yeah they are a poor FT shooting team.

I think he meant Germany. It was a joke. Everyone knows Hitler hated Mexicans.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:21 PM   #332
cjcastan
Quote:

Best part is I actually watched that movie for the first time as a part of a class at U of I.

Good ole EOL 199 at Alien Hall.

I don't think hack a shaq happens much in college does it?

Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:22 PM   #333
ChiTownIllini22
Quote:

Please tell me you've seen Animal House.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:24 PM   #334
CUWPC
Here is an Illini mention.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...win-at-gonzaga
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:33 PM   #335
gandalf
Quote:

Best part is I actually watched that movie for the first time as a part of a class at U of I.

My bad for missing the Animal House refernce, which was the point of your post anyway.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:38 PM   #336
07Illini
Banned
Currently on front page of ESPN.com CBB

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:39 PM   #337
gandalf
"Hack a Shaq" was coined in college actually. If he was dominating in cthe NBA, surely he was dominating even more in College. That said, it is a mystery to me why more college teams dont employ the Hack a Shaq approach. With the one and one, Hack a Shaq can be even better in a college game than the NBA. Sampson says: If there is a Pruitt out there on the floor, go foul him and we can win the game.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:42 PM   #338
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
I never know what to expect from this Illini team. My head is telling me they are going to get manhandled. Their size is a problem and they are really tough at home. But at the same time I know we can run with Gonzaga and we can score on them. And if we are on from behind the line, look out.

I'll go with what my head is saying: Gonzaga 79 - Illini 65

Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:45 PM   #339
07Illini
Banned
This is why being ranked is good. We get national exposure on ESPN.

I really don't understand the "I'd rather not be ranked" argument.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:45 PM   #340
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Illini View Post
Of course. The game is on ESPN 2. Tulane vs The Southern Methodist School of Poetry would be on the front page of their CBB section if that game were on an ESPN station.

Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:49 PM   #341
07Illini
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Of course. The game is on ESPN 2. Tulane vs The Southern Methodist School of Poetry would be on the front page of their CBB section if that game were on an ESPN station.
Or because it is a matchup of two top 15 teams.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:58 PM   #342
IlliniRunIn07
Lol it's not even worth arguing. If someone doesn't think being ranked brings a program more exposure, then they will never get it. Are we rated a little too high? Yeah, probably. And after we win this weekend, I can't wait to be ranked too high next week at #9.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:03 PM   #343
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I never know what to expect from this Illini team. My head is telling me they are going to get manhandled. Their size is a problem and they are really tough at home. But at the same time I know we can run with Gonzaga and we can score on them. And if we are on from behind the line, look out.

I'll go with what my head is saying: Gonzaga 79 - Illini 65
You're pretty close, Gonzaga is basically a 12 pt favorite. O/U @ around 140 seems low.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:09 PM   #344
07Illini
Banned
Quote:

It is incredible how often this happens. . .
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:28 PM   #345
jrichisamazing
Bilas said the Illini can't win without Abrams. I think this is semi-true. If TA plays like he has the last couple of games then Groce will be forced to bench him again, but with JB and MH coming off the bench and sliding BP3 to point, I am still confident this team could pull out a win but it would be a little tougher. When TA plays like he is capable, like in Maui, this teams level of play rises a couple of notches.

Abrams has been a little hesitant lately. I don't think its a big problem, he just needs to keep the ball moving around and let the game come to him.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:34 PM   #346
Illini70math
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
Bilas said the Illini can't win without Abrams. I think this is semi-true. If TA plays like he has the last couple of games then Groce will be forced to bench him again, but with JB and MH coming off the bench and sliding BP3 to point, I am still confident this team could pull out a win but it would be a little tougher. When TA plays like he is capable, like in Maui, this teams level of play rises a couple of notches.

Abrams has been a little hesitant lately. I don't think its a big problem, he just needs to keep the ball moving around and let the game come to him.
Actually, Coach Groce mentioned that Tracy played well against WCU because...he did.

He missed some lay-ups on drives, but as Coach Groce mentioned, his drive broke down the defense and we got tip-ins on at least a couple of those misses.

Over all he had a good game. He played 30 minutes in that game.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:36 PM   #347
Dan
Admin
The Illini are on their way to Spokane!

Flight tracker: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N97EA

Quote:
Time for take off

http://twitter.com/MLaTulip_5
Quote:
Flight takes off in 5,4,3,2,1

http://twitter.com/djrich32
Quote:
Wheels up Spokane

http://twitter.com/EdIllini
Flying on one of these (the plane, not Air France)-

Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:40 PM   #348
JeffFrank
Any pre-game Illini gatherings?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:01 PM   #349
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by UIUC2008 View Post
People need to realize how tough of a game this is. Gonzaga at home is absolutely brutal on any given year. Throw in the fact this is their best team in years makes it that much harder. This isn't your normal Gonzaga team where they climb up the rankings cause they beat up on the smaller West coast teams.

I think this would be a hard game for Indiana, Duke, or Florida to win. I think it's going to be incredibly hard for us to win. I just hope we come out strong. Throw some punches. Keep the game close and try and pull it out. I think this is going to be a huge "eye test" game for us.

I'm normally a huge pessimist, but I got a feeling Groce might get these guys to pull it out.

i think we need a TON of 3's to win. I am saying 14 or more. i think that we get killed inside on the boards and we see alot of zone.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:03 PM   #350
illball
Hope we win. Have a good feeling. Tracey will have to have a huge game offensively and defense wise, also Griffey won't be able to play much imo. If my mind stands correct Harris is their 4 and no way Griffey can guard him. Hope to see big time minutes out of mccalurin (sp?) and Henry at the 4 spot. Go ILLINI!
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »