Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois vs Eastern Kentucky, Sunday, December 16th, 5:00pm CT, ESPNU

Closed Thread

Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:40 PM   #76
bleedsorangenblue
At least it is not a morning or early afternoon game. We really seem unready to play in those types of games. 5PM is a little early but not enough so that the guys shouldn't be ready to play. I trhink we lead most if not all of the game but don't blow them out ......... 12 point win for the Illini with it being a bit closer than the final score indicates. This seems to be our current mode at home these days and I can't complain if it continues to work this way. I will happily eat crow if we can blow them out.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:23 AM   #77
riles55
Banned
Illinois wins this one. Should be a good game though.

P.S. Slip the orange crush some vitamins in their morning Capt. Crunch. They need to pick up the enthusiasm a little. My god this team is undefeated....what more do you want? Either make some noise or give up your seat to somebody that will.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:29 AM   #78
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by riles55 View Post
Illinois wins this one. Should be a good game though.

P.S. Slip the orange crush some vitamins in their morning Capt. Crunch. They need to pick up the enthusiasm a little. My god this team is undefeated....what more do you want? Either make some noise or give up your seat to somebody that will.
Finals have started so the next few home games are "break games". Won't be the usual Krush down there, our members have the opportunity to buy break tickets and usually bring friends & family but only behind the basket. Sidelines aren't Krush (or even students, I think).

Former Illini Pride President (2012-2013)
Orange Krush Class of 2013!

Orange Krush Road Trip @ Iowa, Feb. 3, 2010
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:14 AM   #79
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Bruise brothers: D.J., Tracy

"They've been full-go; all week they've been full-go. Both of them have practiced really well, really hard," Illinois coach John Groce said. "Both have been two of our more vocal guys in practice and communicating. Obviously, that brings an energy to our practice. Both those guys are doing great."

Marcus Jackson
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:44 AM   #80
Letswinagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
Why not just watch a team play and decidehowe competitive hey are. Maybe they could forecast a few things before everyone else does. It's easy to say you agree after the fact a team has been doing it in real games. Florida had a top 10 team pre season but little title talk. It took me one game to decide they'll compete for national championships over the next two years.

I'm sticking to Purdue in the top 8 and a top 25 club at some point next season along with making the NCAA. Vandy is starting to play like a bubble team, Nova has the potential to be a NIT team, West Va is still up in the air although I'll stick by my top 3-4 in the Big 12 after a quality win followed up by a head scratching loss plus chemistry is getting better, Memphis is at full strength somewhat(have a key player injured) playing great basketball, NC State was hurt by losing Deshawn Painter to transfer but will be a top 15-20 team again soon with elite 8 aspirations,, Kansas was a elite team after watching them play next, etc........ I could keep going with my somewhat accurate prognostications.

I'm honestly thinking about retiring from the blog world though. I'll be taking my talents to being a great father!!!!!

Being a dad is the best job in the world. Enjoy!!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:04 PM   #81
dgcrow
Latest Sagarin ratings (including Friday's games) have the Illini 21st and Eastern Kentucky 174th. Doesn't matter, though -- will more than likely once more be a pretty close game.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:55 PM   #82
USNIlliniFan
With the Indiana loss, the pressure just ramped up for this game
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:57 PM   #83
james81
Checking out EKU's schedule, this game is the high point of their season in terms of opportunity to showcase their team. They will be motivated. Honestly, I hate these games. We have little to gain and a lot to lose. We went through some poor shooting spells at the AH last season. Let's hope we don't have two poor shooting games in a row, which could be a bad omen. The best scenario is to blow these guys out early and kill their hope, but I don't see it. If we shoot our normal average, we still win by double figures.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:11 PM   #84
blmillini
I'm really worried about this one. We have simply come out with too much confidence and not enough energy against teams where we seem to think we are superior. With Missouri coming next I just worry that we overlook this game and take it on the chin.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:30 PM   #85
jrichisamazing
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNIlliniFan View Post
Why does that outcome affect this game?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:18 PM   #86
PGHillini11
This is a trap game if I've ever seen one. Missouri looming, Krush on break, Sunday afternoon, EKUs chance to showcase to the nation. All that said I feel like we come out focused and get a double digit win
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:25 PM   #87
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Battle of the unbeatens: Eastern Kentucky at Illinois

Eastern Kentucky ranks No. 2 nationally in forcing turnovers and generally cashes those in on the other end. Through nine games the team has a 224-112 advantage in points off turnovers.

Illini coach John Groce split a pair of games with Eastern Kentucky during his time as head coach at Ohio University and said coach Jeff Neubauer, a former John Beilein assistant at West Virginia, is thriving with his most complete team.

"Year in and year out he's one of the best coaches in the country," Groce said. "They've always had a good offense but now they have a great defense so you have both sides of the ball clicking."

Tupper
Quote:
Illinois can't take Eastern Kentucky lightly

"They pressure the ball hard," Groce said. "They're very disruptive. When they get those turnovers they usually result in those pick-two's."

Shannon Ryan

Last edited by Dan; Dec 15, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:07 PM   #88
zpfled
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmillini View Post
I'm really worried about this one. We have simply come out with too much confidence and not enough energy against teams where we seem to think we are superior. With Missouri coming next I just worry that we overlook this game and take it on the chin.
Let's hope Norfolk St. cured us of "taking games lightly" syndrome, at least for this week.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:16 PM   #89
hooraybeer
not feeling good about this game. we haven't shown the ability to put away less-talented teams the past couple of weeks. I'll say 68-61 ILL, with a run needed at the end to get to that winning margin
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:18 AM   #90
WizardBill
Illini optimist
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooraybeer View Post
not feeling good about this game. we haven't shown the ability to put away less-talented teams the past couple of weeks. I'll say 68-61 ILL, with a run needed at the end to get to that winning margin
That sounds like our last four (five?) games.

Please return Dead and Alive to Edwin Schrodinger
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:07 AM   #91
IlliniFreak7
Banned
I think this game would be more of a trap if we hadnt made it close against Norfolk. Since we did, these guys should be more up for the task and not make it as scary even though I think they are going to give us a game
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:21 AM   #92
zpfled
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooraybeer View Post
As long as we get that winning margin, I'm fine.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:49 AM   #93
Dan
Admin
Quote:
The Illini have played well away from the Assembly Hall this season, but they've left their fans wanting more with their appearances at home. They're 6-0 but ... "We want to make sure we come out and play a lot better," fifth-year transfer Sam McLaurin said. "I told the guys, being where I was last year (Coastal Carolina), our coach does some of the things Eastern Kentucky is doing. It's not a coincidence they're scheduling us when they did: We're coming off exams, our students are gone. ... We just have to come in with a different mentality than we have in the past couple games."

Marcus Jackson
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:58 AM   #94
trevdv
I like what Sam M is doing here. Great to see some different veteran leadership in the form of McLaurin. He's hit it right on the head. By the way, were finals this past week or are they the upcoming week?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:35 AM   #95
CharlesLawrence
I really don't care what the score is or how we play.. to me?? I only care about the W.. as long as we keep winning,, I don't care how it happen.. As a poster said a few weeks back... There has never been a "Bad Win Column" on selection sunday.

Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:59 AM   #96
Illini70math
I predict we take them lightly and coast to a big win.

*Does triple backflip into his Orange Kool-Aid filled Olympic pool.*

There is no way this team is sneaking up on us, so we need to win this one. No excuses. No margins. Just win.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:00 AM   #97
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
I like what Sam M is doing here. Great to see some different veteran leadership in the form of McLaurin. He's hit it right on the head. By the way, were finals this past week or are they the upcoming week?
Pretty sure that they are in the middle of exams.
Some last week, some next.
Awkward
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:01 AM   #98
illinifan4249
Finals started Friday and run thru this upcoming Thursday, I will say though that there appears to be more students trying to get tickets to this game then the first break game last year. Hopefully there will be a good crowd out there since this gam is a trap game if I've ever seen one.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:29 AM   #99
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNIlliniFan View Post
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:36 AM   #100
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan4249 View Post
Finals started Friday and run thru this upcoming Thursday, I will say though that there appears to be more students trying to get tickets to this game then the first break game last year. Hopefully there will be a good crowd out there since this gam is a trap game if I've ever seen one.
I wouldn't call a game against a team that is 9-0 right after we barely squeaked by a bad team at home a trap game.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »