Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:55 AM   #2601
ChiCityHoops34
ChiCityHoops34's Avatar
Location: DeKalb IL
Posts: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaChief View Post
Been hearing this for years on top of years. Wait til the big boys get intimately involved in Charles Matthews, DJ Williams, etc. at that point you might see these recruitments also go the way of Shaun Livingston, Jon Scheyer, Derrick Rose, Anthony Davis, Jabari Parker, Jahlil Okafor, Cliff Alexander...
yes the big boys will get involved but as of now we are sitting great with them. One class can change the whole perception of Chicago 5*s not coming to Illinois and make it "cool" again. At this time the stars are aligning for this class to be the '15 class.
ChiCityHoops34 is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:58 AM   #2602
Illiniwek06
Illiniwek06's Avatar
Location: N of I-80
Posts: 1,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post
I don't think anyone is really saying dont go after the big names in '14, just have a realistic view. The guys in question are #1/2 (Okafor) and #4 (Alexander) nationally. No matter who our coach is, the blue bloods will be involved. Considering Groce has onl Byrne here a short time, it mitigates any "home court" advantage. Go after them of course, but understand the odds are against us.

The odds are better with '15 class. I don't think people will accept losing these top prospects, that is all they are saying IMO
Also, there are many more scholarships available for 2015 in comparison to 2014.
Illiniwek06 is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:01 PM   #2603
ChiCityHoops34
ChiCityHoops34's Avatar
Location: DeKalb IL
Posts: 1,110
Haha Kendrick is awesome on twitter. I think he may be our lead recruiter
ChiCityHoops34 is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:07 PM   #2604
dansaint
Location: Middletown, IL
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by First2Ten View Post
I heard Nick Nolte can recruit the big time players
and damn Al Bundy trying to dig up dirt on him.

__________________
YOUR 2012 ILLINOIS LOYALTY FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!!!!!!
dansaint is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:13 PM   #2605
hooraybeer
hooraybeer's Avatar
Location: Med School Library
Posts: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityHoops34 View Post
Haha Kendrick is awesome on twitter. I think he may be our lead recruiter
+1.. said "i need you on my team" to CA

__________________
Drunk on orange kool-aid
hooraybeer is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:15 PM   #2606
IlliniEX2011
Banned
Posts: 306
Going on a tangent, but I've noticed listening to 670 the Score in Chicago, there is a dramatic lean towards NW, Loyola, UIC and DePaul (and even Chicago State) by the only guy who really talks CBB (I forget his name). They also do the DePaul home games on the station, but when the Illini play I have to stream from a radio website. I was listening the other day and after interviewing the DePaul and UIC coaches, Mike Thomas jumped in and gave a great interview about hiring Groce. It made me wonder 1) why Illini games aren't broadcast in Chicago and 2) If this interview meant that Thomas was aware of the problem and was trying to fix it. Perhaps as a response to NW "claiming" Chicago.
I don't know how many kids listen to talk radio these days, but I think we at least need some presence on the Chicago talk stations. If anyone knows anything about the situation let me know.
IlliniEX2011 is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:17 PM   #2607
CUWPC
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniEX2011 View Post
Going on a tangent, but I've noticed listening to 670 the Score in Chicago, there is a dramatic lean towards NW, Loyola, UIC and DePaul (and even Chicago State) by the only guy who really talks CBB (I forget his name). They also do the DePaul home games on the station, but when the Illini play I have to stream from a radio website. I was listening the other day and after interviewing the DePaul and UIC coaches, Mike Thomas jumped in and gave a great interview about hiring Groce. It made me wonder 1) why Illini games aren't broadcast in Chicago and 2) If this interview meant that Thomas was aware of the problem and was trying to fix it. Perhaps as a response to NW "claiming" Chicago.
I don't know how many kids listen to talk radio these days, but I think we at least need some presence on the Chicago talk stations. If anyone knows anything about the situation let me know.
I get 560 WIND in the Chicagoland area.
CUWPC is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:28 PM   #2608
Illwinsagain
Location: Cary, IL
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniEX2011 View Post
Going on a tangent, but I've noticed listening to 670 the Score in Chicago, there is a dramatic lean towards NW, Loyola, UIC and DePaul (and even Chicago State) by the only guy who really talks CBB (I forget his name). They also do the DePaul home games on the station, but when the Illini play I have to stream from a radio website. I was listening the other day and after interviewing the DePaul and UIC coaches, Mike Thomas jumped in and gave a great interview about hiring Groce. It made me wonder 1) why Illini games aren't broadcast in Chicago and 2) If this interview meant that Thomas was aware of the problem and was trying to fix it. Perhaps as a response to NW "claiming" Chicago.
I don't know how many kids listen to talk radio these days, but I think we at least need some presence on the Chicago talk stations. If anyone knows anything about the situation let me know.
the Illini used to be on WSCR, they were regularly ripped before and after games (sometimes justified) and were bumped often for other commitments (Blackhawks/White Sox, I believe). Guenther moved to 560 that cannot be picked up by many of us in the Chicagoland area. And WIND does not have any pre/post game discussion.
Illwinsagain is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:36 PM   #2609
DeadPanic
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooraybeer View Post
+1.. said "i need you on my team" to CA
And Cliff hit him back with the old "I'll think about it."
DeadPanic is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:36 PM   #2610
IlliniEX2011
Banned
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illwinsagain View Post
the Illini used to be on WSCR, they were regularly ripped before and after games (sometimes justified) and were bumped often for other commitments (Blackhawks/White Sox, I believe). Guenther moved to 560 that cannot be picked up by many of us in the Chicagoland area. And WIND does not have any pre/post game discussion.
Yea WIND comes in really fuzzy. It seems like with this "My state. My team." campaign that they are heading in the right direction. It just really shocks me that with the huge UI Alum population in the city that they don't lead off with Illini talk. It was nice to have Mike Thomas on there and he said JG would try to get on there soon so it sounds like they get it.
IlliniEX2011 is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:39 PM   #2611
wakeupneo1
Banned
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuist View Post
Butler seemed to be able to do it without getting a big time high school recruit.
This is definitely an exception...

There are statistical anomalies everywhere. What's your point? I'm sure I could find a dog that doesn't bark if I had enough samples.

The point others are saying is that there is an incredibly strong positive correlation between recruit rankings and success.

Let me guess, you were "kid coach 'em up" during the Weber years....
wakeupneo1 is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:39 PM   #2612
TearsOfJoy
Location: Alabama
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooraybeer View Post
+1.. said "i need you on my team" to CA
I know how everyone feels about reading into tweets, but this is the most recent condo between KNunn and CA.

KNunn: "Everybody tryna go to U of I 😳 When this happen[?]"
CA: "when they started winning lol"
KNunn: "I need my homie @humblekid11 (CA) on my team nbs"
CA: "@KNunnSG ill think about it"

No matter what, we can all agree that KN and CA tweeting about U of I is a GOOD thing.
TearsOfJoy is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:41 PM   #2613
Botb9
Realist
Botb9's Avatar
Posts: 5,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by TearsOfJoy View Post
I know how everyone feels about reading into tweets, but this is the most recent condo between KNunn and CA.

KNunn: "Everybody tryna go to U of I 😳 When this happen[?]"
CA: "when they started winning lol"
KNunn: "I need my homie @humblekid11 (CA) on my team nbs"
CA: "@KNunnSG ill think about it"

No matter what, we can all agree that KN and CA tweeting about U of I is a GOOD thing.

__________________
Hype is a self-serving beast that feeds on the hopes and dreams of fans.
Botb9 is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:42 PM   #2614
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
Joel Goodson's Avatar
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 3,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniEX2011 View Post
Yea WIND comes in really fuzzy. It seems like with this "My state. My team." campaign that they are heading in the right direction. It just really shocks me that with the huge UI Alum population in the city that they don't lead off with Illini talk. It was nice to have Mike Thomas on there and he said JG would try to get on there soon so it sounds like they get it.
WIND is a joke. That said, after many years of being the SCORE's red-headed step-child, I fully supported leaving them. There has to be a better option than WIND though. When does the contract expire?
Joel Goodson is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:45 PM   #2615
HsvIllini
HsvIllini's Avatar
Location: Alabama
Posts: 4,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniKat91 View Post
I think how I phrased my last post is creating confusion. Groce is going after top-shelf talent (D-Jax, XRM, etc.), but will probably not land all of it in his first two years on the job. '15 is our best shot at getting honest-to-God top-shelf talent.

We'll get our share of the big names coming out of Chicago, I believe, in the next two years or so. However, if in 2-3 years we cannot seemingly close that talent, then we need to look at the situation more closely.

Frankly, given Groce's ability to get in on a recruit in a short period of time, I don't think it'll be an issue.
Yeah, I was just confused the way the first post was worded and think we are all saying the same thing.
HsvIllini is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:47 PM   #2616
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
Joel Goodson's Avatar
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 3,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by TearsOfJoy View Post
I know how everyone feels about reading into tweets, but this is the most recent condo between KNunn and CA.

KNunn: "Everybody tryna go to U of I 😳 When this happen[?]"
CA: "when they started winning lol"
KNunn: "I need my homie @humblekid11 (CA) on my team nbs"
CA: "@KNunnSG ill think about it"

No matter what, we can all agree that KN and CA tweeting about U of I is a GOOD thing.
It's a great thing. But think about CA touring the six pack vs. Wildcat Lodge. Not saying we have no chance, but let's face it, it's an uphill climb.
Joel Goodson is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:50 PM   #2617
IlliniEX2011
Banned
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
WIND is a joke. That said, after many years of being the SCORE's red-headed step-child, I fully supported leaving them. There has to be a better option than WIND though. When does the contract expire?
The guy I'm talking about is Laurence Holmes. He's on from 8-9. He occasionally talks about the Illini (after running through every two bit city program) and had Mike Thomas on after trying to get JG who wasn't available. He's a young guy so maybe MT sees an opportunity to get a foot back in the door at the Score. I didn't know we were bashed by them before, but I wonder if those who did the bashing are gone.
IlliniEX2011 is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:52 PM   #2618
IlliniEX2011
Banned
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
It's a great thing. But think about CA touring the six pack vs. Wildcat Lodge. Not saying we have no chance, but let's face it, it's an uphill climb.
They're completely redoing the 6 pack actually. By the time he got here it would be done.
IlliniEX2011 is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:58 PM   #2619
Archie
Banned
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniEX2011 View Post
The guy I'm talking about is Laurence Holmes. He's on from 8-9. He occasionally talks about the Illini (after running through every two bit city program) and had Mike Thomas on after trying to get JG who wasn't available. He's a young guy so maybe MT sees an opportunity to get a foot back in the door at the Score. I didn't know we were bashed by them before, but I wonder if those who did the bashing are gone.

Mully & Hanley had John Groce on this morning.
Archie is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:59 PM   #2620
Combo
Posts: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock215215 View Post
[/B]


Ok why do people not understand that in order to ever make a Final Four again or National Championship game, somewhere along the line we are going to have to get a big time player. We can't just let these big time in state guys leave without a fight...
Absolutely. What I said doesn't contradict this. We should certainly fight for the top guys. However, it's far from a guarantee that we'll get them.
Combo is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:00 PM   #2621
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
Joel Goodson's Avatar
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 3,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniEX2011 View Post
They're completely redoing the 6 pack actually. By the time he got here it would be done.
Good & thanks for the info.

WRT Wildcat Lodge, do a Google search and check it out. How UK skirts the NCAA on this, I have no clue. I get that some "regular" students will have rooms there, but this housing is vastly above the norm. Has to be an additional benefit. I don't get it.
Joel Goodson is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:01 PM   #2622
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
Joel Goodson's Avatar
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 3,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post
Mully & Hanley had John Groce on this morning.
What about Douchebag & A$$bag? Oops, I mean Boers & Bernstein.
Joel Goodson is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:04 PM   #2623
Archie
Banned
Posts: 187
No one on 670 The Score ever went out of their way to bash the Illini.

The personalities that are on 670 are very opinionated, especially Dan Bernstein. If he, or any host ever criticized the Illini, it was probably based on Illinois' play the past few seasons.
Archie is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:05 PM   #2624
ComplementaryColors
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post
Mully & Hanley had John Groce on this morning.
Beat me to it. If anyone's interested in listening, the Score, on their website, normally has podcasts of their interviews. It should be there. Good interview, although you probably won't hear anything you don't already know.
ComplementaryColors is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:07 PM   #2625
IlliniEX2011
Banned
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
Good & thanks for the info.

WRT Wildcat Lodge, do a Google search and check it out. How UK skirts the NCAA on this, I have no clue. I get that some "regular" students will have rooms there, but this housing is vastly above the norm. Has to be an additional benefit. I don't get it.
Just did, that absurd. They should make it in the shape of a middle finger so the oblivious NCAA knows why they built it.
IlliniEX2011 is offline
Closed Thread


« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump