Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Missouri 82, Illinois 73 POSTGAME

Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:13 PM   #151
ChiCityHoops34
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniSpine View Post
In fact, I'm nervous about next yr w/o BP...JB can get to the hoop on occassion but not as consistently as BP.
Two words:

Malcom Hill
ChiCityHoops34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:14 PM   #152
Ilovetheillini
Why didn't Langford play a lot? He might have been able to help us on the glass
Ilovetheillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:14 PM   #153
Archie
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
So how does that mean that whoever replaces Griffey will be better? You think a brand new player, most likely a Freshman, will be better than what Griffey has brought us this year?

I believe Morgan can average more rebounds and play tougher inside. Collectively, Morgan and Colbert should average more rebounds combined.

I should rethink my stance because the scoring Paul and Richardson provide will need replacing as well. That being said, Bertrand & Abrams' stats should improve, and having Rice eligible should ease some of this concern. Hill and Nunn should provide scoring as well. Depending on if he transfers to Illinois or not, Johnson could be a solid contributor.

Last edited by Archie; Dec 22, 2012 at 07:21 PM.
Archie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:14 PM   #154
IlliniSpine
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityHoops34 View Post
Two words:

Malcom Hill
One word:

Freshman
IlliniSpine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:17 PM   #155
Ilovetheillini
Quote:
One word:

Freshman
Don't forget about Rayvonte Rice
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:17 PM   #156
PGHillini11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini First View Post
As mentioned earlier, I think we should have attempted a zone defense, even if for a few minutes to clog the middle, change the
parameters.
Its even harder to rebound out of a zone and with the way they were killing us on the boards, I dont know if we would have been able to
PGHillini11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:18 PM   #157
Archie
Banned
Quote:
One word:

Freshman
Hill is a scorer, & he'll get plenty of looks in Groce's system.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:18 PM   #158
alexander58
I havent seen Missouri play before tonight. I was surprised by their tempo. Had anyone seen them play at the faster tempo like last year?
alexander58 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:19 PM   #159
Archie
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander58 View Post
I havent seen Missouri play before tonight. I was surprised by their tempo. Had anyone seen them play at the faster tempo like last year?
Haith always wants to play fast
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:21 PM   #160
trevdv
Where has DJ been the last couple of games? He was 1-9 from three-point range tonight, and had PLENTY of open looks that he missed. If even one or two of those shots go in, it's a much closer ballgame down the stretch.
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:22 PM   #161
IlliniFreak7
Banned
Here are my thoughts from today:
I felt we played our butts off but too many missed shots prevented us from ever going on a run and getting into it.
Tyler was a massive liability on the boards/on defense but his offense was improved.
DJ had his worst game in a long time.
Brandon didn't take over after being rested, he absolutely needed to drive pressey and take over at the end
You can't shoot 25% from three AND get killed on the boards, that combo will kill any good team
Nanna showed a lot today, easily the best game for him yet, but it was our 4s that killed us on defense
We were 2 threes away from winning that game, just couldn't convert
IlliniFreak7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:23 PM   #162
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetheillini View Post
Don't forget about Rayvonte Rice
You can't tell me a freshman and Rice are going to be better than Paul, Richardson, and Griffey...
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:23 PM   #163
Archie
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
Where has DJ been the last couple of games? He was 1-9 from three-point range tonight, and had PLENTY of open looks that he missed. If even one or two of those shots go in, it's a much closer ballgame down the stretch.

I still wish Richardson would go to the basket more. Unfortunately that hasn't been the case throughout his carreer, so I shouldn't expect that to happen now.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:25 PM   #164
Illini First
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHillini11 View Post
Its even harder to rebound out of a zone and with the way they were killing us on the boards, I dont know if we would have been able to
The advantage is several fold.

1) we have a three some around the bucket, instead of none.

2) We stop the down the middle drives, and force a more lengthy shot, instead of layups.

All this shuts down the easy shots and helps keep bigs down low instead of out near the 3 pt line. We stay in better position near the bucket and block out. I think we should have at least tried it for a few possessions.

Cheers.

Last edited by Illini First; Dec 22, 2012 at 07:28 PM.
Illini First is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:25 PM   #165
IlliniSpine
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post
Hill is a scorer, & he'll get plenty of looks in Groce's system.
That's what they said about the other MH too...so far he hasn't done that.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:26 PM   #166
JimmyChitwood
Quote:
In fact, I'm nervous about next yr w/o BP...JB can get to the hoop on occassion but not as consistently as BP.
Im not. I think we will be a better team next year. I love me some BP3 when he is letting the game come to him and is hitting shots. When he isnt, he kills us. Im happy that it's the first time we have lost in quite awhile that I dont have any complaints about the coaching. There are always some small things that a fan can point out in a loss about "why didnt Groce do this or that" but I felt like he had nothing to do with the loss...It was all on the team tonight.
JimmyChitwood is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:26 PM   #167
alexander58
Quote:
It seems DJ starts out pretty well every year then tapers off. You would have to wonder if his confidence is just fragile.
alexander58 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:27 PM   #168
Ilovetheillini
Quote:
You can't tell me a freshman and Rice are going to be better than Paul, Richardson, and Griffey...
Did I say that? No. Just saying that he will help us next year
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:28 PM   #169
IlliniSpine
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyChitwood View Post
Im not. I think we will be a better team next year. I love me some BP3 when he is letting the game come to him and is hitting shots. When he isnt, he kills us. Im happy that it's the first time we have lost in quite awhile that I dont have any complaints about the coaching. There are always some small things that a fan can point out in a loss about "why didnt Groce do this or that" but I felt like he had nothing to do with the loss...It was all on the team tonight.
Maybe last year but he's been the reason that we have won or AT LEAST a big part of it in every game this year so far.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:29 PM   #170
cali illini
I think the bottom line is Pressy beat us, allowed him to penetrate and get players open looks!
cali illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:30 PM   #171
Archie
Banned
Quote:
That's what they said about the other MH too...so far he hasn't done that.
Malcolm Hill is not Myke Henry.

I have never thought Henry was multidimensional on the offensive end, Hill is. Hill lives at the free throw line, and that should be a good sign of what type of offensive threat Hill should be at the collegiate level.

Henry seems to be a catch and shoot type player, similar to Griffey. If anyone disagrees, how many times has anyone seen Henry put it on the ground?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:34 PM   #172
geneseo
My two criteria for continuing to follow the Illini after a three year hiatus.

1. Fun to watch? Yes.

2. Improvement throughout the season? This is difficult for me to evaluate game to game. I think the trend is in the right direction.
geneseo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:36 PM   #173
JimmyChitwood
Quote:
Maybe last year but he's been the reason that we have won or AT LEAST a big part of it in every game this year so far.
Yup I agree, but tonight he played like last year to me. Was pressing way to much and taking a ton of silly shots. We have plenty of guys on our team that can make shots and when he becomes one dimensional, he hurts us. I have no problem with him driving to the basket and getting fouls called on him. It's the dumb shots that I dont like and tonight I felt like he had way to many..in fact, the whole team really did for the most part. Not enough passing in the offense finding an open shot. Im not talking Weberball here either. Im talking driving and dishing or running a little offense to find something. Tonight it seemed like it was way to much 1 on 1 stuff and taking shots that were not the best possible shot to be taking. A lot of 3s were from freaking NBA range and that's just stupid.
JimmyChitwood is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:37 PM   #174
orangeroses07
Did we take a charge all game?

Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:37 PM   #175
Dan
Admin
Groce with Tyler & Brandon - post Mizzou

Part 2- Just Groce - post Mizzou presser

Frank Haith - post Braggin Rights presser 2012

Rob McColley

Last edited by Dan; Dec 22, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »